+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Eat Less You Pig

1. Link to Post #1
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,847 times in 715 posts

Default Eat Less You Pig

Finally, a response to my weekly dinner guests that always question my tiny appetite ...

Quote “Eat Less You Pig.” James McWilliams explains why eating less food—whole food and junk food, meat and plants, organic and conventional, GMO and non-GMO—would do a lot more than just better our personal health, at Pacific Standard:

Quote There’s one T-shirt in my drawer that I don’t wear, mainly because I think it’s sort of offensive. It reads: Eat Less You Pig.
    A nutritionist gave it to me. She had the shirts made because she was tired of the endless hand wringing over what it meant to eat ethically, eat environmentally, eat to optimize personal health, and so on. Rather than debating the fine points of the carbon sequestration of grass-fed systems or the amount of glyphosate sprayed on GMOs or the yield potential of organic agriculture versus conventional or whether animals suffer on “humane” farms, she simply wanted a few choice words that would cut through the fog and free us from the burden of culinary complexity. Hence, Eat Less You Pig.

The more I engage with the politics of the plate—specifically, the more I consider what it means to eat ethically—the more I appreciate the spirit of this message. The most obvious benefit of Eat Less You Pig is the fact that, if only as a common sense measure, you can’t really disagree with it.
    http://disinfo.com/2014/11/exponenti...s-eating-less/

The Exponential Benefits of Eating Less
    http://www.psmag.com/navigation/heal...-health-94849/

Quote Eating less food—whole food and junk food, meat and plants, organic and conventional, GMO and non-GMO—would do a lot more than just better our personal health.

The average American now eats a literal ton of food—1,996 pounds—per year. Between 1970 and 2000, Americans increased daily caloric intake by 24.5 percent. That’s the equivalent of an extra 530 calories—a Big Mac—per day. It’s thus an empirical fact that the vast majority of Americans—hearty folk who consume about 3,000 calories daily—should cut back.

By virtue of where our calories derive, a reduction in daily calories would disproportionately lower our intake of foods that are the most resource intensive.

…..

An additional benefit of eating less food is environmental. By virtue of where our calories derive, a reduction in daily calories would disproportionately lower our intake of foods that are the most resource intensive. Americans today consume about 57 percent more meat than we did in the 1950s. We eat four times more cheese, 20 times more yogurt, eight times more corn sweeteners, and 18 percent more wheat flour. All of these goods require more resources to produce and they emit more greenhouse gasses than their lower-impact counterparts—namely fruits and vegetables.

But as far as produce goes, Americans have only increased our consumption of them modestly since the 1950s. Total fruit consumption had risen by a comparatively low 21 percent between 1950 and 2000, while total vegetable consumption has gone up 25 percent (a big portion of that increase, though, is due to tomatoes used for pizzas). One study concluded that if Americans reduced caloric intake to 2,000 calories per day, the carbon “foodprint” of the American diet would drop by 11 percent.

…..

A famous 25-year study on primates and calorie intake published in 2013 found that monkeys eating a restricted diet (by 30 percent) live longer and endure fewer age-related diseases. The results were by no means fully conclusive, but they led the New York Times to observe that “there is no doubt that with an overweight population, a 10 percent reduction in body weight would have tremendous health benefits.” Eating less food—whole food and junk food, meat and plants, organic and conventional, GMO and non-GMO—would help accomplish that goal while tempering the endless debate about what exactly we should be eating.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/02/sc...vity.html?_r=0

There are also animal welfare benefits to cutting back. In a strictly utilitarian sense, the welfare of farm animals comes down to numbers. Eating animals requires slaughtering over 10 billion sentient farm animals a year in the U.S. The Humane Resource Council found that 75 percent of Americans agree that we should “eliminate all forms of animal cruelty and suffering.” Until we determine how to painlessly kill farm animals, eating them will undeniably involve harming them. Because so much of our caloric intake today comes from animals and animal products, a caloric reduction alone would automatically reduce the demand for animal products and thus the suffering of farm animals. Eating 2,000 calories a day instead of 3,000 calories would, in and of itself, likely have a greater impact on reducing demand for animal products than Meatless Mondays.

…..

But the pursuit of food reform through caloric reduction mines a much deeper issue in a way other solutions do not. The most important—and most radical—benefit of advocating a reduction in caloric intake is that it would equate food reform with social justice. Specifically, if applied effectively, it would minimize navel-gazing foodie discussions among the educated elite—people like me (and likely you) who tend to view food choices as a form of identity politics—and focus on those who have the least culinary choice and are, as it turns out, the most victimized by a calorically dense food system.

Well-educated foodies, those who dominate the high-profiled discussions and read Pacific Standard and Modern Farmer and Cook’s Illustrated, are in relative dietary control.

All of the vocal debates that we now have about food—veganism, organic agriculture, GMOs, humanely raised this-or-that—are thus superseded by the question of socio-economic justice. Achieving genuine food reform today means focusing not necessarily on the Farm Bill or soda taxes or GMO labeling, but on the rudiments of social and economic justice. We need to look at the minimum wage, the right to unionize, health care, and a working culture in which the CEO-to-worker salary ratio is 331 to 1. Without bringing these themes into the debate—something an emphasis on caloric reduction would allow us to do—there will never be food justice, at least not for those who need it the most.

There’s systematic injustice between what we want to happen with the food system and how the system now operates. If the most effective start we can initiate is to eat less food—and I think it is—we need to look beyond the fact that we eat like pigs—or even that we eat pigs—to the underlying causes of that desperate gluttony.

2. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,846 times in 876 posts

Default Re: Eat Less You Pig

• Are you bulimic?
    • Our soil lacks the minerals it had in the 1940-50; many people overeat because they don't get what their bodies need even from healthy foods.
    • Many people have allergies to certain foods and don't understand why they feel awful afterwards.
    • Government changes what is correct about every ten years so what you think now will be changing

I don't think food consumption is as simple as you would like it to be.

3. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to grannyfranny100 For This Post:

Alan (27th November 2014), Anchor (27th November 2014), dianna (27th November 2014), fourty-two (27th November 2014), joeecho (27th November 2014), kirolak (28th November 2014), Kryztian (28th November 2014), Realeyes (27th November 2014), shadowstalker (27th November 2014), Shezbeth (27th November 2014)

4. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member sirdipswitch's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,166 times in 1,683 posts

YES I'M FAT
    BUT
    YOU'RE UGLY
    and
    I can diet
    what can you do

chuckle chuckle chuckle chuckle
    Love, Peace, Humor
    sirdipswitch

" A little knowledge, is a dangerous thing... so is a lot."
    - Albert Einstein -

"Please, Do NOT, believe a word that I say, for this is my journey not yours. Go do your own research. Listen to no-one. Find YOUR own Truth. As "I" did." "It is all just a Game, play it as you will."
    -sirdipswitch-

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sirdipswitch For This Post:

DeDukshyn (27th November 2014), dianna (27th November 2014), Kryztian (28th November 2014), MorningSong (27th November 2014), PurpleLama (27th November 2014), Sebastion (27th November 2014), seeker/reader (29th November 2014)

6. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,799 times in 2,657 posts

oy ........ what is the gist of this thread? too fat, too skinny, starving, not starving, ......? the only thing that i can add that may add some sort of complacency aspect is: eat to be healthy. can it be done? that is the big question........is anyone healthy? do we know what we are eating? do we care?
    warmest,
    crosby

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to crosby For This Post:

dianna (27th November 2014), kirolak (28th November 2014), Kryztian (28th November 2014), Violet (27th November 2014)

8. Link to Post #5
    Mexico Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,360 times in 440 posts

Wednesday at dianna's ..wish we can do that again some time.

And yes, is not about food. It's about cats, and music, and beer and spending time with beautiful people.

Thank you for that Wednesday night !

9. Link to Post #6
    Australia Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,067 times in 950 posts

It is very annoying to prepare a lovely meal (and taken note of allergies, dislikes and so on in menu planning) to have a guest smugly push the food around the plate without eating it. Or, even worse, loudly denigrate choices of food, decoration or other guests. It used to be considered VERY bad manners not to consume whatever the host/hostess had provided. Now it is often a relief if people actually use cutlery!

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ellisa For This Post:

dianna (27th November 2014), grannyfranny100 (27th November 2014), MorningSong (27th November 2014), Violet (27th November 2014)

11. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,846 times in 876 posts

Elisa- sounds like you definitely need different dinner guests. Loved this, "Now it is often a relief if people actually use cutlery!"

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to grannyfranny100 For This Post:

dianna (27th November 2014), halffull (27th November 2014), kirolak (28th November 2014), MorningSong (27th November 2014)

13. Link to Post #8
    Denmark Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Have you guys seen the documentary, In The Beginning There Was Light?

We don't need to eat, at all

14. Link to Post #9
    Australia Avalon Retired Member KaiLee's Avatar
    Thanks

DOnt eat food that was worked in a factory.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KaiLee For This Post:

dianna (27th November 2014), Shezbeth (27th November 2014), Violet (27th November 2014)

16. Link to Post #10
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,182 times in 1,657 posts

And don't live in places that have factories It's not easy, I know, but one tries the best they can. There are various reasons why people living in the cities, eating from the food that was produced in the factories (sometimes working in them too) not far from where they live are participating in all these strikes.

Getting all people to eat less will be of comparable difficulty to getting all cars to drive on other than petrol. Lots of thwarting where sales are expected to drop. Especially if one is used to massive income from non-food food. Last chapter I got to was meat glue (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transglutaminase). The process is pictured in this article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-together.html.

In a sense, this is also a form of recycling and alleviating nature from a burden, but...yea.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Violet For This Post:

dianna (27th November 2014), grannyfranny100 (27th November 2014)

18. Link to Post #11
    New Zealand Avalon Member Carmen's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,527 times in 1,560 posts

Ah! The pleasure of eating. Good company, great food. Hard to beat. Actually one has to be hungry to appreciate food. And eating too much, or eating habitually, emotionally, negates the taste and pleasure of good food lovingly prepared. To a cook, preparing good food is a expression of love, of giving. I can't think of a festive occasion that does not involve food. Fussy, picky eaters just plain piss me off. I have wwoofers every now and then. They are people who travel the world working four hours a day for a room and food. It's a great way to get things done round my farm, garden and house. Mostly I seem to get young Europeans and mostly they love the food I prepare for them. But, some of them don't and it drives me to distraction. I never know how to give to them or nurture them. It's mostly the ones in their late teens that are fussy or unappreciative of food. In the future I will only have slightly older ones here. They have a few more life lessons under their belt!

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Carmen For This Post:

Cristian (27th November 2014), dianna (27th November 2014), Ellisa (28th November 2014), grannyfranny100 (27th November 2014), william r sanford72 (27th November 2014)

20. Link to Post #12
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,730 times in 2,903 posts

I just found a recipe for creamy cheesecake frosting... (to die for...)

225g bar of cheese cake,
    110g of butter
    2 tsp of vanilla
    2 Tbsp of lemon juice
    2 cups of icing sugar (or white sugar if your in a pinch, but it won't be as creamy...)

Make sure creamed cheese and butter are room temp, and cream together, add vanilla, lemon juice, and half cup a sugar,
    keep mixing, and continue to add sugar until it is thick and creamy..

It goes really good with carrot cake and cinnamon buns! I'll bet you can't stop eating it until it's all gone!!!
    If you make this, you will violate every diet, health and nutritional principle known to good health....
    And you would be guilty of committing a health crime...

If you are big on rationalizing, you could add some crushed walnuts to give it the impression of adding some nutritional value and will add more texture and flavour
    Last edited by sigma6; 27th November 2014 at 10:43.
    We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time
    By faith we understand things which are seen were not made of the things which are visible

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sigma6 For This Post:

dianna (27th November 2014), Kryztian (28th November 2014), Pam (27th November 2014), Sebastion (27th November 2014)

22. Link to Post #13
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,847 times in 715 posts

Quote Posted by Cristian (here)
    Wednesday at dianna's ..wish we can do that again some time.

And yes, is not about food. It's about cats, and music, and beer and spending time with beautiful people.

Thank you for that Wednesday night !
    It was my pleasure Christian, you are welcome for dinner any time … my favourite guest this summer and the most beautiful amongst us that evening!

(in fact, everyone here is welcome for dinner … one of my greatest joys is to cook for and share a meal with friends)

23. Link to Post #14
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,466 times in 8,541 posts

It has been scientifically proven - the more you eat, the shorter you will live, and the less you eat the longer you will live. Of course, what and how you eat has a lot of bearing - one has to still maintain as much proper nutrients as possible, but that is the gist of it. One who eats less overall (to an extent) also tends to have less health complications in their life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calorie_restriction

Wasn't "gluttony" one of the original sins?

I thought I heard on the radio the other day that that 30% of people in the world are very overweight or obese - no longer just "America's problem" -- but I am sure half of that is caused by what we eat as much as how much we eat.

Gotta go, my bacon is ready
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

dianna (27th November 2014), MorningSong (27th November 2014), Shezbeth (28th November 2014), sigma6 (30th November 2014)

25. Link to Post #15
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,182 times in 1,657 posts

Looking at (Belgian) suicide numbers, it has to be asked: how many people still want to change diet habits "just" so they can live (even) longer?

Of course, we know that eating better is going to do more than just increase your age but I've talked to people who admitted that if they were going to live longer than seventy and were not entitled to euthanasia, they were just going to do it themselves, which of course is a sad thing.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Violet For This Post:

dianna (28th November 2014), Ellisa (28th November 2014)

27. Link to Post #16
    Australia Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,067 times in 950 posts

Ah Violet--- wait till they get to 70 and find there's plenty of joy left in life--- Such as cooking for grateful youngsters who know how to use cutlery properly!

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ellisa For This Post:

dianna (28th November 2014), sigma6 (30th November 2014), Violet (28th November 2014)

+ Reply to Thread