+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Study proposes that the Universe is a Hologram

1. Link to Post #1
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,405 times in 1,922 posts

Default New Study proposes that the Universe is a Hologram

http://www.spiritscienceandmetaphysi...is-a-hologram/

By Steven Bancarz| Are we living in a hologram? Energy fields are decoded by our brains into a 3D picture, to give the illusion of a physical world. Despite its apparent materiality, the universe is a kind of 3-D projection and is ultimately no more real than a hologram. And some recent scientific discoveries support the conclusion that the universe is one big holographic projection.

The building blocks of reality are behaving in ways which are inexplicable and can only make sense if we think of the universe in terms of a holographic field, not an empty container filled with objects. A recent study published in Nature suggests that the universe may be one big projection, according to their simulations. As the paper states:

In 1997, theoretical physicist Juan Maldacena proposed1 that an audacious model of the Universe in which gravity arises from infinitesimally thin, vibrating strings could be reinterpreted in terms of well-established physics. The mathematically intricate world of strings, which exist in nine dimensions of space plus one of time, would be merely a hologram: the real action would play out in a simpler, flatter cosmos where there is no gravity.

Maldacena’s idea thrilled physicists because it offered a way to put the popular but still unproven theory of strings on solid footing — and because it solved apparent inconsistencies between quantum physics and Einstein’s theory of gravity. It provided physicists with a mathematical Rosetta stone, a ‘duality’, that allowed them to translate back and forth between the two languages, and solve problems in one model that seemed intractable in the other and vice versa (see ‘Collaborative physics: String theory finds a bench mate‘). But although the validity of Maldacena’s ideas has pretty much been taken for granted ever since, a rigorous proof has been elusive.

In two papers posted on the arXiv repository, Yoshifumi Hyakutake of Ibaraki University in Japan and his colleagues now provide, if not an actual proof, at least compelling evidence that Maldacena’s conjecture is true.

In one paper2, Hyakutake computes the internal energy of a black hole, the position of its event horizon (the boundary between the black hole and the rest of the Universe), its entropy and other properties based on the predictions of string theory as well as the effects of so-called virtual particles that continuously pop into and out of existence (see ‘Astrophysics: Fire in the Hole!‘). In the other3, he and his collaborators calculate the internal energy of the corresponding lower-dimensional cosmos with no gravity. The two computer calculations match.

“It seems to be a correct computation,” says Maldacena, who is now at the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, New Jersey and who did not contribute to the team’s work.

In other words, our world is a projection of infinitesimally small vibrating strings which gives rise to the appearance of a physical world. Our world is a shadow of the real world where the activity is actually taking place. As an article in Discover Magazine states reports, physicist Brian Greene believes that properties at the black hole’s surface—its event horizon—suggest the unsettling theory that our world is a mere representation of another universe, a shadow of the realm where real events take place.

Even weirder than a holographic universe is the idea that we live in massive computer simulation. We’ve seen the Matrix, right? Nick Bostrom, a philosophy professor at the University of Oxford, argues that we are almost certainly living within a computer simulation. Right now we have been able to produce very tiny simulations of the universe. To that end, they’ve created an ultra-small version of the universe that’s down to the femto-scale. Interestingly, the researchers consider their simulation to be a forerunner to more powerful versions in which molecules, cells, and even humans themselves might someday be generated.

Here is an interview with physicist and NASA consultant Tom Campbell talking about why he believes the virtual model of reality best explains our universe:

- See more at: http://www.spiritscienceandmetaphysi....09rPXnd2.dpuf
    Last edited by Camilo; 1st December 2014 at 17:04.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Camilo For This Post:

Fellow Aspirant (2nd December 2014), justntime2learn (1st December 2014), Kbrammcdonald (1st December 2014), Matt P (1st December 2014), PRAGMAE (2nd December 2014), seeker/reader (1st December 2014), Sith73 (4th December 2014), spiritwind (1st December 2014), Wind (1st December 2014), ZooLife (1st December 2014)

3. Link to Post #2
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 95,902 times in 15,481 posts

Default Re: New Study proposes that the Universe is a Hologram

Quote Posted by Camilo (here)
    [...] Despite its apparent materiality, the universe is a kind of 3-D projection and is ultimately no more real than a hologram.

[...]
    Excepted, of course, when one bumps into it and comes out with bruises, broken bones, bleeding wounds... "It's all in your head!"

PS: The terrible thing is that it all could very well be true... that it's all in one's "head."
    Last edited by Hervé; 1st December 2014 at 16:41.
    "La réalité est un rêve que l'on fait atterrir" San Antonio AKA F. Dard

Troll-hood motto: Never, ever, however, whatsoever, to anyone, a point concede.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

spiritwind (1st December 2014)

5. Link to Post #3
    Germany Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,190 times in 1,661 posts

David Icke been stating the (our perceived) world is a hologram for over 20 yrs.- and this is 'new' info?- just 'now' we might consider this possibility because this info now comes from a manipulated "scientist"?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cardillac For This Post:

Fellow Aspirant (2nd December 2014)

7. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Member conk's Avatar
    Language
    Southern English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,146 times in 2,998 posts

The Holographic Universe, by Michael Talbot is good book to read. I think it's on the forum somewhere in pdf format. He makes a very good case for it and the book is several years old. Newer evidence just continues to support the contention. Many physicists are on board as well.
    The quantum field responds not to what we want; but to who we are being. Dr. Joe Dispenza

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to conk For This Post:

Camilo (1st December 2014), Fellow Aspirant (2nd December 2014), spiritwind (1st December 2014), Wind (1st December 2014)

9. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member ZooLife's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,079 times in 1,967 posts

The hologram has discovered that it is a hologram.

Congrats!

The hologram had to think it was something before it could discover that it was nothing.
    Last edited by ZooLife; 1st December 2014 at 19:58.
    I still have eyes to see what the world would have me see but that doesn't mean I believe. - Sara

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ZooLife For This Post:

aranuk (2nd December 2014), Camilo (1st December 2014), spiritwind (1st December 2014)

11. Link to Post #6
    Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,498 times in 1,175 posts

It's logically and metaphysically possible.

So, I submit, is the idea that the forum is run by pink nazi elephants named Frieda, Fritz, and Frunhilldnutzhkling that wear polka dotted tutus, eat bananas, and sing John Lennon songs while balancing bath tubs on their heads.

Which, thankfully (!!!), is logically and metaphysically possible but also extremely ridiculous.

By holographic I suppose the author of the OP and studies is meaning it is generated. Which means there has to be a generator. And if the universe is as complex as our not-so-advanced scientific instruments and minds say it is, then that generator has to be at least equally or more complex than the universe it generates....which means if the generator was manufactured an even more complicated mind or group of minds had to generate the idea of the generator and then make the generator and....oh bother. Too complicated.

Simplest solution? It's not a holograph. Matter exists. BANG==>Universe. Problem solved.

Kinda.....

...where'd my honey come from??

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Milneman For This Post:

Shezbeth (2nd December 2014), spiritwind (1st December 2014), ZooLife (1st December 2014)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,968 times in 7,673 posts

Quote Posted by conk (here)
    The Holographic Universe, by Michael Talbot is good book to read. I think it's on the forum somewhere in pdf format. He makes a very good case for it and the book is several years old. Newer evidence just continues to support the contention. Many physicists are on board as well.
    He passed away soon after this interview.

"When you've seen beyond yourself, then you may find, peace of mind is waiting there." ~ George Harrison

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

aranuk (2nd December 2014), Camilo (1st December 2014), conk (1st December 2014), Fellow Aspirant (2nd December 2014), naste.de.lumina (3rd December 2014), ZooLife (1st December 2014)

15. Link to Post #8
    United States Avalon Member ZooLife's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,079 times in 1,967 posts

Quote Posted by Milneman (here)

By holographic I suppose the author of the OP and studies is meaning it is generated. Which means there has to be a generator.

One would like to think there is a generator otherwise there is no escape in the same way as.....

One can imagine separation between a generator and what it generates but that is as far as it goes.
    I still have eyes to see what the world would have me see but that doesn't mean I believe. - Sara

16. Link to Post #9
    Thanks
    Thanked 30,977 times in 5,003 posts

Michael Talbot died in 1992 and his 1991 book traces the holographic universe back to David Bohm and Karl Pribram.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_H._Pribram

The notion actually predates the invention of the hologram in the late 1940s (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holography ) since the Argentinian writer Adolfo Bioy Casares published a novella on the subject back in 1940. What I’m saying is that our understanding of how the universe works is usually about as good as how we understand anything works and in exactly the same. Remember the Internet as a ‘superhighway’, the brain as a computer, intelligence as potentially no more than artificial intelligence. It’s all metaphor, explaining what we don’t understand in terms of what we do.

Here is a post from 18 months ago.

Quote Posted by araucaria (here)
    I am posting this here, as it would be off-topic on Observer’s What controls the hologram? thread, which is another search for ‘objective evidence’, which of course I don’t have. Rather than derail that thread, allow me to use the sidetrack of the Here & now, which I personally consider to be the main line to where we’re heading. Here we don’t bring theories to the table to argue over, we bring people together to chat, often playfully, about whatever comes into our heads. Tongue-in-cheek is not frowned upon.

Quote Posted by observer (here)

The following is a re-editing of a popular image that can be found in the reference links (below).

This is Observer’s diagram in his opening post. I took issue with the vertical line, now I want to take issue with the whole diagram. In my opinion it is a matrix-eye view of the matrix. According to this view, there is no spoon, but a hologram of one. I think we want to know who/what made/is projecting the hologram only as long as we have fun bending spoons. Who/what? imo is not the right question, and David Icke’s idea of a ‘force’ ‘feeding’ on us (mentioned in the thread) is probably not the most helpful answer either.

In the Bioy Casares novella I mentioned in both threads (The Invention of Morel), the Who? switches from the original perpetrator to the ‘victim’, who rewrites the whole script to suit himself. How this is done is a narrative trick. He simply says he finds the switch to the machinery, but as someone who has never fully got the hang of a VCR , I would need to know a little more than that. At the higher level where the reader operates, the perpetrator and the victim are like characters from a Robert Heinlein story, ‘By his Bootstraps’ in which there is only one character, a time-traveller who keeps meeting himself (there is another one as well that has been quoted recently on the forum). Here the ‘victim’ as narrator has made the whole thing up: there is no workable machinery, no machinery at all in fact – except words on the page. And ultimately the narrator-perpetrator and the reader-victim merge, with the disappearance of even the machinery of words on the page. There is only me here, doing a little thought experiment all by myself.

I would therefore like to suggest a different model of what I think is going on, from the ‘I am/We are all that there is’ viewpoint. In this model, there ain’t no matrix…

araucaria’s Leaky Watering-can Universe

A watering-can is a device to control/guide a flow of energy (water) – in through the top and out through the spout on the front. Imagine this watering-can developing a leak (whether from the inside or the outside is immaterial): the energy flow is partly diverted downwards, negligibly so at first until at some point it starts interfering with the usefulness of the device. This is ‘a bad thing’ because while my shoes are getting soaked my potted plants are drying out. The only force involved here is natural: gravity, and no one is really benefitting (unless my shoes are getting cleaned ).

The natural reaction is not to look for a culprit: a leaky watering-can is probably just suffering from wear-and-tear, and the likely suspect would have to be the user anyway. The natural reaction would be to accept that it is broken and needs fixing. Or does it?

From a ‘hyperdimensional’ standpoint, I am all that is: the water energy, the watering-can, its designer/maker, the wet shoes, the dry plants, and a whole lot more besides. To realize this is to think, ‘What am I doing trying to mend a leaky watering-can, when I can make it rain?!’ And, ‘Hey, if I can get it to rain, I can have a proper garden instead of a few potted plants’. A watering-can after all is a very inefficient, small-time way of transferring water energy from source to destination when we can think so much bigger!

The trouble with this scenario is that it deals a body blow to at least two of our pet theories. One of course, as implied by the above, is the idea that exposing conspiracies is the way to awakening people to these conspiracies and thereby overcoming making the world a better place. I would suggest that this is very likely mistaken. Understanding the matrix is the ultimate way of being entrapped in the matrix, it is just another illusion. There will always be another outside controller controlling the controllers. This is the symbolism of the topless pyramid: endless hierarchy.

An interesting read on the idea that conspiracy theory is bad for your health is Umberto Eco’s Foucault’s Pendulum, or failing that, this review of the book by Anthony Burgess, the author of A Clockwork Orange.

http://www.nytimes.com/books/98/12/0...-pendulum.html

Another pet theory that we need to forget about is the idea that we have to ‘save our beautiful planet’ (as Bill was saying the other day), a difficult proposition, I know, but to think that the Earth is somehow more real than anything else I fear is clutching at straws. We can readily conceive of distant Saturn as being the headquarters of the matrix, we would be happy to wave goodbye to the Moon as it sets off back to wherever it came from, but we still cling to the soil under our feet. I am talking here about the Earth as the illusion that appears to our five senses (and maybe to more than those). The Real Earth, which some call the New Earth, is to the rain as the present one is to the leaky watering-can. Rain is a part of the living cycle of nature, the watering-can is technology gone bust, as it always does. If this present Earth is possibly based on the reality of a living planet, dismantling and repairing – or even upgrading – our poor technology is a very poor imitation. As a ‘living’ being, our Earth may be no more than an overused dead version, mockup or hologram that we have been dissecting in anatomy class. There are limits to dissection, the main ones being incompleteness and lifelessness. You can always try artificial respiration on a cadaver, but I wouldn’t expect the patient to respond…

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to araucaria For This Post:

Fellow Aspirant (2nd December 2014), JRS (2nd December 2014)

18. Link to Post #10
    Netherlands Avalon Member GNC Harteveld's Avatar
    Thanks

I do not believe the hologram theory, it's uses too much information while i think the universe is much more efficient.
    But that's just me.
    Cavemen only see rocks.

19. Link to Post #11
    Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,498 times in 1,175 posts

Quote Posted by ZooLife (here)

By holographic I suppose the author of the OP and studies is meaning it is generated. Which means there has to be a generator.

One would like to think there is a generator otherwise there is no escape in the same way as.....

One can imagine separation between a generator and what it generates but that is as far as it goes.
    Orely?

So are you going with the first cause or the infinite cause?

20. Link to Post #12
    Netherlands Avalon Member Observer1964's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,064 times in 457 posts

Quote Posted by Hervé (here)
    [...] Despite its apparent materiality, the universe is a kind of 3-D projection and is ultimately no more real than a hologram.

[...]
    Excepted, of course, when one bumps into it and comes out with bruises, broken bones, bleeding wounds... "It's all in your head!"

PS: The terrible thing is that it all could very well be true... that it's all in one's "head."
    Well; if we're all holograms and we are programmed to decode events as collisions, then it makes sense to me still.
    We are build up out of pixels, but we call them atoms and decode them as matter, but atoms are made up of practically nothing, vibrations in a carrierfield. Information by motion, just like light and sound.
    Examine all things and retain the good.

21. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

Quote Posted by GNC Harteveld (here)
    I do not believe the hologram theory, it's uses too much information while i think the universe is much more efficient.
    But that's just me.
    Depends on how this information is dealt with. I remeber from my early computer that its build-in basic program language used tokens, a single byte (8-bts) symbolised a command that fully typed used multiple bytes. (hope it makes sense to you), anyway this made the program a lot smaller in required memoryspace, same information but less data.

Like when I say Star Wars, and you think of The Force, Deathstars, Laserguns, Spaceships etc...the whole movie in just 2 words.

22. Link to Post #14
    Thanks

And is this generator synthetic or biologic.
    What if all of us are just one counsiousness, that has a very extended internal discussion and we are the projections of these thoughts?

23. Link to Post #15
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks

http://www.spiritscienceandmetaphysi...is-a-hologram/

In other words, our world is a projection of infinitesimally small vibrating strings which gives rise to the appearance of a physical world. Our world is a shadow of the real world where the activity is actually taking place. As an article in Discover Magazine states reports, physicist Brian Greene believes that properties at the black hole’s surface—its event horizon—suggest the unsettling theory that our world is a mere representation of another universe, a shadow of the realm where real events take place.

- See more at: http://www.spiritscienceandmetaphysi....09rPXnd2.dpuf
    You know, I have actually been doing a bit of thinking about this lately.

The way I conceptualize this, is that there are different dimensions stacked on top of each other. We are just shadows of what exists in the tier above us, and we cast our own shadows. You do not need programmers when the code can write itself. By this I do not seek to deny the existence of God, but rather to say that God is splintered and reflected in every aspect of the universe around us. Collectively, all of existence (in every dimension/universe) is God.

A different way to say this is to think of the cells in your body. It would be correct to say that you are made of cells. However it would be incorrect to single out a single cell, and say that one cell is what it means to be you.

-
    Edited for spelling.

24. Link to Post #16
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Observer1964 (here)

And is this generator synthetic or biologic.
    What if all of us are just one counsiousness, that has a very extended internal discussion and we are the projections of these thoughts?
    If you dont mind me butting in here, I would like to offer my opinion.

In regards to what I was saying in my last post, with our universe just being a "shadow". You know how an item can cast different shadows under different circumstances? This effect must scale up, and I would like to try and argue that at some point that which exists in the tiers above us must reeach an absolute point. This point is both Everything and Nothing.

I agree with your postulation that there is a single consciousness, made up of everything synthetic and biological. So it would be correct to say that this consciousness is both synthetic and biological, but incorrect (in my opinion) to say that that is all there is. The consciousness, is the sum of everything synthetic and organic, not synthetic and biological.
    Last edited by Jahllar; 4th December 2014 at 02:23.

+ Reply to Thread