+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 4 LastLast

Thread: Aussie comedian goes to town on the 2nd amendment.

1. Link to Post #1
    Australia Avalon Member Napping's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Aussie comedian goes to town on the 2nd amendment.

Aussie comedian Jim Jeffries shows how effective comedy can be at encouraging individuals and groups to take a step back and question their attitudes and beliefs surrounding gun ownership in the US.

I personally stand against gun ownership, as stated in the 2nd amendment. I've heard the passionate arguments from Alex Jones et al, and it'll never gain traction in my mind.

This fella finds a beautiful way to articulate my thoughts. Enjoy!

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Napping For This Post:

belljoshua565 (4th December 2014), Cidersomerset (4th December 2014), Cjay (5th December 2014), Debra (15th December 2014), Ellisa (4th December 2014), justntime2learn (4th December 2014), Lifebringer (6th December 2014), Matisse (5th December 2014), Matt P (4th December 2014), Nasu (4th December 2014), OBwan (6th December 2014), sdv (4th December 2014), viscountvlad (4th December 2014), Zamolxe (4th December 2014)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,659 times in 8,694 posts

Default Re: Aussie comedian goes to town on the 2nd amendment.

he does a great job of polarizing this topic and stereotyping.

He cites the 1996 massacre (port author) what a GREAT WAY to show what gun control really is and how it's implemented
    Read more on the Port Author false flag here
    And here
    some interesting stuff here

Anyway, a clever phrase or two that is well delivered does not make ideas valid.

Then he sites Sandy Hook... which very probably didn't even happen. (read TONS of stuff about that on this very forum)

So he's citing known (or very probable) false flag attacks to remove guns.

He says the only argument for owning a gun is "I like guns".

Then he says "protection" is not a valid use for a gun... and yet they are almost always used for that... he then uses the fake "assault rifle" (a made up term) for a joke.

There's a lot of logical fallacy and very good comedic delivery; but that's about it.

if you know anything about crime statistics this is actually an insulting video and very

Just think about it:

ever example he uses are probably or known false flags.....
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

4. The Following 35 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (4th December 2014), Akasha (5th December 2014), Alexander (6th December 2014), alh02 (4th December 2014), Blacklight43 (4th December 2014), bluestflame (15th December 2014), ceetee9 (4th December 2014), Cidersomerset (4th December 2014), Cjay (5th December 2014), genevieve (4th December 2014), gripreaper (5th December 2014), jerry (6th December 2014), jjjones (5th December 2014), Joe Sustaire (4th December 2014), JRS (5th December 2014), justntime2learn (4th December 2014), Maknocktomb (5th December 2014), Matt P (4th December 2014), mattymoto (6th December 2014), NancyV (4th December 2014), Napping (4th December 2014), Nasu (4th December 2014), Neal (5th December 2014), observer (5th December 2014), Rex (5th December 2014), Sebastion (4th December 2014), seko (6th December 2014), Shezbeth (5th December 2014), Snowflower (4th December 2014), spiritwind (5th December 2014), T Smith (7th December 2014), the_real_dave-id (4th December 2014), thunder24 (5th December 2014), Tyy1907 (4th December 2014), Zanshin (5th December 2014)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,078 times in 2,355 posts

Maybe it's not right for Aussies but you won't have any more luck getting Americans to get rid of guns than our own government has.

The reason we're allowed to have guns is to protect from domestic tyranny. It also requires someone to be almost insane to try to invade and occupy the US militarily against the will of its citizens, even if this is done by our own government. It's part of culture here just as it's part of the culture in Switzerland, even if the rules aren't exactly the same. Switzerland is another country that hasn't seem many foreign occupations.

Quote Posted by TargeT (here)
    ever example he uses are probably or known false flags.....
    My thoughts exactly. When your agenda is the same as that of the US Federal Government then I submit that it's time to review the real logic and morality of your position. Even when the feds act like they have everyone's best interest at heart (like passing "Obamacare") it always turns out to have the exact opposite effect (about 50% increase in healthcare costs since 2007).

Guns actually suppress violent crime where they're known to be legally carried and this has been shown over and over again, while places that have banned handguns like Washington DC and New York City have only seen increased violence. A town in Georgia passed a law making it MANDATORY for every household to own a handgun and break-ins went down to almost zero virtually overnight. Here in Virginia anyone could be carrying a firearm in public and you'd never know it because we have concealed carry permits. My girlfriend is from Brazil where this kind of thing isn't allowed, yet she remarks all the time how much safer it is here than in Brazil. You can't even stop at a redlight in Rio without risk of being robbed, and buses are pulled over at gunpoint all the time down there. Why? Because no law-abiding citizens there have a gun to defend themselves.
    Last edited by A Voice from the Mountains; 4th December 2014 at 19:29.

6. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

If I was convinced re Port Arthur and Sandy Hook I'd 100% agree with those points Target. Call it cognitive dissonance, but I'm still not convinced. To suggest all of the mass killings in recent years are false flags for me is a stretch. To suggest all of the mass shootings pre Port Arthur in Australia were false flags is a stretch. That's just my humble opinion.

I'm not suggesting for a minute there aren't some surprising facts re pro gun ownership if they are to be believed. Like anything it's far from a black and white issue, there's plenty of shades of grey.

However, take the potential false flag scenarios that you're referring to away, and I bet Jim had you self reflecting a couple of times thinking, "yep, you've got a point". That's what I loved most about the video, the power comedy can have in tackling controversial issues and enabling individuals to question their beliefs without immediately antagonising.

Cheers,

Matt
    Last edited by Napping; 4th December 2014 at 19:31.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Napping For This Post:

belljoshua565 (4th December 2014), Ellisa (4th December 2014), Nasu (4th December 2014), Shezbeth (6th December 2014), TargeT (4th December 2014)

8. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,024 times in 1,086 posts

He is funny, thanks for posting this. According to his analysis I fall into the ten percent of people who disagree with him. It's all good, he can have his opinion, I just disagree is all. In the past twenty years ish I have witnessed a huge coincidence, the crown countries have been disarmed on a scale unprecedented, outside of dictatorial dinning circles. England, Ireland, Scotland, wales, Canada, Austrailia, et al of the commonwealth.. Talk is now to remove "pointed" knives from the UK, whatever that means..

Maybe it's a coming of age, a time of enlightenment if you will, among those countries? Maybe, but we dont see it in their respective foreign policies though, do we?

America's constitution is the essence and core of the idea that is America. It is a revolutionary document that holds the government accountable to the people. Not to say things have not gone astray for the federal government since, but it is a dream, a codified set of rights for the people, to protect it from the extremes of despotism.

Crown countries have constitutions, as corpoarions have articles of incorporation, but they do not give them rights over and above the crown. People in those countries have no rights, only privileges, or more exactly they have the right to pay taxes and die. Please let's not mention the magna carta, it's purpose was simply to say that the law was above the crown, it benefited the baronies, not the comon man and was soon made defunct and obsolete by the actions of subsequent royals through history..

America is the only country that has this legal document backstop against a future tyrannical government, the question as I see it is when will the US masses realize that and that its time has long since passed... N
    Last edited by Nasu; 4th December 2014 at 19:34.

9. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Nasu For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (4th December 2014), Cidersomerset (4th December 2014), genevieve (4th December 2014), jerry (6th December 2014), JRS (5th December 2014), Matt P (4th December 2014), NancyV (4th December 2014), Napping (4th December 2014), observer (5th December 2014), rgray222 (6th December 2014), Sebastion (4th December 2014), Shezbeth (6th December 2014), TargeT (4th December 2014)

10. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member NancyV's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,067 times in 989 posts

That was funny!! I appreciate it even though I am firmly in the camp that says "EFF you! You're not taking my guns!" But don't worry, most of us who are true believers in keeping guns are older, so when we're dead it will probably be easier for the US government to get rid of guns, like they did in Australia. Then you can ALL be powerless slaves when the government comes after you with their guns.

I suppose you could go back to using knives and swords against those who have guns but eventually they'll take those too. Give them an inch and they'll take a mile. That's why we need to hold on to our ability to keep the government in check with weapons of equal or close to equal power.

Of course there are many conflicting statistics but in the countries with the strictest gun control laws violent crimes are most often higher than in the US, with our less strict gun laws. Australia and England, which have virtually banned gun ownership, have the highest rates of robbery, sexual assault, and assault with force of the top 17 industrialized countries. So those who do not want guns have a perfect right to not own them, but it really irritates me that because THEY are against owning guns they want to impose those views on others. I wouldn't think of telling someone they SHOULD own a gun. (although I might subtly hint that they are stupid if they don't)

If we have a zombie apocalypse you can be the food while I'm busy shooting zombies.

Alpha Mike Foxtrot

11. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to NancyV For This Post:

alh02 (5th December 2014), Blacklight43 (4th December 2014), Cidersomerset (4th December 2014), gripreaper (5th December 2014), jerry (6th December 2014), JRS (5th December 2014), Matt P (4th December 2014), Napping (4th December 2014), Nasu (4th December 2014), observer (5th December 2014), Sebastion (4th December 2014), Shezbeth (5th December 2014), TargeT (4th December 2014)

12. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Nasu (here)
    In the past twenty years ish I have witnessed a huge coincidence, the crown countries have been disarmed on a scale unprecedented, outside of dictatorial dinning circles. England, Ireland, Scotland, wales, Canada, Austrailia, et al of the commonwealth.. Talk is now to remove "pointed" knives from the UK, whatever that means..
    I was (negatively) impressed when I saw that you have to be 18 years old to buy a butterknife in Britain. I mean really, you could kill someone with a rock if you were that pissed off.

After they take away all your pointy, sharp objects, they'll be cooking all your food for you so you won't need knives for that, and then maybe they'll tell you that you can't have biceps any larger than a certain size, either. For your own protection of course.

The future government of the part of humanity still with the misfortune living under a baby-eating monarch. I'm not joking about baby-eating, it's more or less what I really think of these people. These monarchies are satanic.
    Last edited by A Voice from the Mountains; 4th December 2014 at 19:40.

13. Link to Post #8
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,659 times in 8,694 posts

Quote Posted by Napping (here)
    That's what I loved most about the video, the power comedy can have in tackling controversial issues and enabling individuals to question their beliefs without immediately antagonizing.

Cheers,

Matt
    Did you know that comedy was originally viewed as a negative thing? its seen as subversive and a great way to undermine ideas.

For you this wasn't antagonizing because you agree with him, for me it was very antagonizing; all the twisted facts and downplaying of important ideas and topping it off with hanging all of it on what I am very certain (90%, as high as I'll commit to anything) was a completely made up event with no casualties (Sandy Hook).

What I see here is reveling in the stupidity of the masses and leveraging tools of the state to push an agenda (And I don't think that he is "a part of some conspiracy" or an "Illuminati"; this is just how we humans work when we are cleverly manipulated by those that know the inner workings of our minds FAR better than we do).

I can, at a very shallow level, appreciate this piece of comedy. But I know the power of words, I recognize that this is a form of mind control and a great reminder of "what we are up against".

I know that none of this really matters to you, unfortunately no one can change your mind until you are ready to change it for your self.

You want to see what I find entertaining and fascinating.. Learning:

in the first 15 min this video describes why you will not see my side of the argument, why most people live their entire lives with out changing their opinions on strongly held beliefs; this video shows us (with proof to back it up) the mental workings that trap us and how powerful "mind control" is when performed by those who understand this videos contents and its meanings.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

14. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (4th December 2014), alh02 (5th December 2014), Debra (15th December 2014), genevieve (4th December 2014), gripreaper (5th December 2014), iamthat (4th December 2014), jerry (6th December 2014), Joe Sustaire (5th December 2014), JRS (5th December 2014), Lifebringer (6th December 2014), Matt P (4th December 2014), NancyV (4th December 2014), Napping (4th December 2014), Nasu (4th December 2014), Neal (5th December 2014), observer (5th December 2014), Sebastion (4th December 2014), Shezbeth (5th December 2014), the_real_dave-id (4th December 2014)

15. Link to Post #9
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,024 times in 1,086 posts

A member of my family was there at the massacre in tasmania, they ran up the hill and hid in the church with some others. It was a shocking thing, like the hungerford massacre or the dunblain massacre of those little children. Or in fact any massacre since. My point is that the constitution is not about those who like guns, or home defense, or hunting, it protects the people from their rulers. In crown countries this is so anathema to conventional thought that you think America is crazy with all their gun crime etc, what you don't see, because your in a crown controlled zone, is the freedom to be self determined and self governing, from the bottom up.. N

16. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Nasu For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (4th December 2014), Cidersomerset (4th December 2014), jerry (6th December 2014), Joe Sustaire (5th December 2014), JRS (5th December 2014), NancyV (4th December 2014), observer (5th December 2014), rgray222 (6th December 2014), Sebastion (4th December 2014), Shezbeth (5th December 2014), TargeT (4th December 2014)

17. Link to Post #10
    Thanks

Great vid Target and interesting perspective re comedy. To be honest I wouldn't be here of I wasn't trying to challenge my own hard wired beliefs. The pursuit of truth is indeed is about as noble a goal one can have imo.

My perspective on guns is a sheltered one I admit. That's why I'm here : )

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Napping For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (4th December 2014), jerry (6th December 2014), Joe Sustaire (5th December 2014), Nasu (4th December 2014), TargeT (4th December 2014)

19. Link to Post #11
    United States Avalon Member barneythez's Avatar
    Thanks

That's the best part of being a comedian.....you don't have to be politically correct.....just funny.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to barneythez For This Post:

Napping (5th December 2014), Nasu (5th December 2014), Shezbeth (5th December 2014)

21. Link to Post #12
    United States Avalon Member NancyV's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,067 times in 989 posts

You're so right, TargeT, it was funny to me but in the sort of pathetic way where I see the humor but I also see the brainwashing. So I automatically think thoughts like "this comedian is funny but clueless, a real moron who doesn't know his you-know-what from a hole in the ground" and other equally judgmental thoughts. I agree that this type of comedy can be dangerous because it can be effective as a tool to shape opinions in a more subtle way. There are many mainstream comedians who use their "humor" to influence the masses against things like guns and other natural freedoms that they think should be controlled by the liberals (mostly) in government. Of course conservatives are also in the control business but not much in the area of gun control because they would lose half their voters if they promote gun control.

I see how we are all indoctrinated from an early age by our parents, peers, experiences, television and what we read on the internet. I've been trying to identify my programming for decades or at least understand how many of my preferences are merely programmed responses. If I KNOW that pretty much all my responses are deeply indoctrinated habits, it's at least easier to choose to keep the ones I think I like and attempt to overcome the ones that logic tells me are not productive in my life.

It takes concerted effort to overcome habits that have become strong neuron pathways. I have found that it takes at least 21 days of reprogramming my mind, usually by replacing one habit (addiction/opinion) with another. I think replacing an opinion or habit is easier than just attempting to get rid of it.

I like the video you posted and agree with it. It demonstrates how difficult it is really is to go against the norm. One must be okay with not being praised, supported and accepted, with not fitting in. I seem to have brainwashed myself from an early age that it was COOL to not be in agreement with the masses. I figured that if MOST people were impressed with something, I probably wouldn't like it. So I never needed social validation throughout my childhood and as an adult. Of course I know this is also programming, but if we are destined to have programmed minds I would rather be in charge of my own programming....or at least THINK I am! LOL....

As much as I like debating/arguing I do know that attempting to change someone else's programmed belief systems is futile. It's difficult enough to change your own even when you are diligently working on it.

Quote Posted by Napping (here)
    That's what I loved most about the video, the power comedy can have in tackling controversial issues and enabling individuals to question their beliefs without immediately antagonizing.

Cheers,

Matt
    Did you know that comedy was originally viewed as a negative thing? its seen as subversive and a great way to undermine ideas.

For you this wasn't antagonizing because you agree with him, for me it was very antagonizing; all the twisted facts and downplaying of important ideas and topping it off with hanging all of it on what I am very certain (90%, as high as I'll commit to anything) was a completely made up event with no casualties (Sandy Hook).

What I see here is reveling in the stupidity of the masses and leveraging tools of the state to push an agenda (And I don't think that he is "a part of some conspiracy" or an "Illuminati"; this is just how we humans work when we are cleverly manipulated by those that know the inner workings of our minds FAR better than we do).

I can, at a very shallow level, appreciate this piece of comedy. But I know the power of words, I recognize that this is a form of mind control and a great reminder of "what we are up against".

I know that none of this really matters to you, unfortunately no one can change your mind until you are ready to change it for your self.

You want to see what I find entertaining and fascinating.. Learning:

in the first 15 min this video describes why you will not see my side of the argument, why most people live their entire lives with out changing their opinions on strongly held beliefs; this video shows us (with proof to back it up) the mental workings that trap us and how powerful "mind control" is when performed by those who understand this videos contents and its meanings.
    Alpha Mike Foxtrot

22. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to NancyV For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (4th December 2014), alh02 (5th December 2014), Debra (15th December 2014), gripreaper (5th December 2014), Matt P (5th December 2014), Napping (5th December 2014), Nasu (5th December 2014), noxon medem (4th December 2014), observer (5th December 2014), Sebastion (4th December 2014), Shezbeth (5th December 2014)

23. Link to Post #13
    Thanks
    Thanked 79,637 times in 18,693 posts

I keep away from this debate as its a cultural quirk of how America has evolved over
    the last 400 years and could well change in the future. There are arguments from
    all sides and as Targe said above this is not a black and white issue with false flags
    and a creeping police state encroaching many areas , as the federal government
    gave out excess military equipment and having just watched Mocking Jay pt 1 some
    response teams now resemble 'storm troopers'.....

Amongst this there are many with words of reason , that need to be heard,
    Ron Paul is one , but more are needed. The two incidents that 'triggered'
    gun control in the UK . The Hungerford massacre and Dunblane school
    shootings, both evocative names and very suspicious and probably some
    sort of early gun false flags. Although compared to elsewhere there
    were very few guns in circulation. But its the precedence that counts. Guns are not
    part of the UK culture in the same way as the US, apart from farmers using shot
    guns and criminal gangs , that always get access . Also It did not stop the IRA or
    loyalists from acquiring weapons , and there are many ways to hurt people if you
    are inclined.

Ron Paul On Gun Control - The Tonight Show With Jay Leno

Published on 26 Sep 2013

Ron Paul on background checks and federal government's role.

==============================================

===========================================

I don't know if this is genuine ? or from a movie ? but scary.....

Peru Swat Armor

http://www.therpf.com/f24/peru-swat-armor-186778/
    Last edited by Cidersomerset; 5th December 2014 at 00:39.

24. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (4th December 2014), Debra (15th December 2014), Ellisa (4th December 2014), jerry (6th December 2014), Matt P (5th December 2014), NancyV (4th December 2014), Napping (5th December 2014), Nasu (5th December 2014), TargeT (5th December 2014)

25. Link to Post #14
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,019 times in 927 posts

Lots of great comments here.
    I have a simpler take I guess. This comedian, while very funny, is simply still very much submerged in the fake reality control matrix. That is his reality as he believes it and it's very different than mine. If your mind has been freed, you see him very differently than if your mind hasn't been. My view towards him is very close to TargeT. Our controllers love anything that reinforces their manipulations and I don't. I see it for what it is which makes it hard to enjoy.

Matt

[edit: I should have clarified: I am not a gun person, though I grew up with lots of guns and shooting, but I am darn glad lots of my neighbors are]
    Last edited by Matt P; 4th December 2014 at 21:46.
    Fear is simply a consequence of a lack of information.

26. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Matt P For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (4th December 2014), alh02 (5th December 2014), Cidersomerset (4th December 2014), Debra (15th December 2014), jerry (6th December 2014), Joe Sustaire (5th December 2014), JRS (5th December 2014), NancyV (5th December 2014), Napping (5th December 2014), Nasu (5th December 2014), observer (5th December 2014), Sebastion (4th December 2014), TargeT (5th December 2014), the_real_dave-id (4th December 2014)

27. Link to Post #15
    Australia Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,067 times in 950 posts

With so many of the posters supporting gun ownership, could you tell me how you people feel in countries in which it is very unlikely that the people you meet have access to guns. Do you assume that what I just wrote is wrong, and everyone really, in fact, does have guns? Would you be very worried for your safety because there are so few armed people about the place? Would you feel frightened? Would you you feel safer in the US where the woman or man next to you may have a gun in their pocket?

Have you, in fact, ever actually travelled to a country in which personal gun ownership is uncommon (not illegal, farmers are usually allowed to have simple rifles)? Did you feel any different regarding personal safety there?

Switzerland, by the way, where gun ownership is encouraged, has the highest gun murder rate in the EU, and their rate is also high on the world scale. I think it is common sense to assume that easy access to guns would allow the death toll from gunshot to be high- for example there often seem to be tragic accidents involving the family gun.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ellisa For This Post:

Cidersomerset (5th December 2014), Napping (5th December 2014), Nasu (6th December 2014)

29. Link to Post #16
    Thanks

TargetT Would you like to tell me how many gun shootings happen in Europe as compared to the U.S.?
    I agree that his arguements are spurious but do you really need guns? They have only one purpose, that is to kill, is that the solution to anything?

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to belljoshua565 For This Post:

Cidersomerset (5th December 2014), Ellisa (5th December 2014), Matisse (5th December 2014), Napping (5th December 2014)

31. Link to Post #17
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,275 times in 1,435 posts

"It's not a want of drugs it's a want of personal freedom." Bill Hicks

Take out drugs and put in guns. To me thats the core issue here. That being said i laughed at that guys jokes as like Target said he polarized the issue into absurdity.

As far as the false flage in the US and Europe, there is overwhelming evidence that some if not ALL mass shootings are staged events. One cannot overlook that crucial fact.
    Last edited by Tyy1907; 4th December 2014 at 23:55.
    "Without the human request, nothing will happen."

"This must never be forgotten, that the human has the power to prevail."

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tyy1907 For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (5th December 2014), Cidersomerset (5th December 2014), JRS (5th December 2014), NancyV (5th December 2014), TargeT (5th December 2014)

33. Link to Post #18
    United States Avalon Member Snowflower's Avatar
    Front range Colorado Rockies, in wilderness
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,163 times in 733 posts

I have not read the entire thread, but really need to bring in another fact that I think might be being overlooked.

Napping, 100% of all mass killings are not false flags. But...

100% of all mass killings - at least in the United States - involve psychotropic drugs.

And those psychotropic drugs have been pushed on the populace by the pharmaceutical mafia. Which is owned, ultimately, by the Rothschilds et al. And who are ultimately responsible for the false flags.

My position on the subject mirrors many others in this thread. Guns don't kill. People kill. If they can't get guns and they want to kill, they will do it with knives. If they can't get knives, they will do it with rocks. So, the suggested bill to ban all rocks on the planet - makes as much sense to me as a bill to ban guns. And about those rocks. Someone that gets mad is less likely to throw rocks if they know their target is armed to the teeth with a pile of rocks. But if they know their target is sitting there defenseless - they will throw the rocks. Consequences. That's what it's all about. The consequences in Brazil, or Australia, or England, or Haiti, aren't likely to cause a killer or robber much of a problem if they stick a gun into someone's face. But, in the United States, they just might get blown away by the target's gun.

34. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Snowflower For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (5th December 2014), alh02 (5th December 2014), Cidersomerset (5th December 2014), Debra (15th December 2014), Matt P (5th December 2014), NancyV (5th December 2014), Napping (5th December 2014), Nasu (5th December 2014), observer (5th December 2014), TargeT (5th December 2014), Wind (5th December 2014)

35. Link to Post #19
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Ellisa (here)
    With so many of the posters supporting gun ownership, could you tell me how you people feel in countries in which it is very unlikely that the people you meet have access to guns. Do you assume that what I just wrote is wrong, and everyone really, in fact, does have guns? Would you be very worried for your safety because there are so few armed people about the place? Would you feel frightened? Would you you feel safer in the US where the woman or man next to you may have a gun in their pocket?
    Like I posted before, my girlfriend is from Brazil. In Brazil it's nearly impossible to get a permit to legally carry a gun. She is afraid even to go to Rio, in her own country, because of how often people are robbed there, including at gunpoint. She says people who live in Rio have lots of sayings about how they have to "live smart," just to avoid these situations. Buses gets pulled over forcibly by people wielding illegal firearms, and cars stopping at traffic lights are regularly held up at gun point. This, again, in a country where it's nearly impossible for a civilian to be able to carry a gun legally.

She's now staying here in the US, in a state where it's legal and easy to get a permit to carry a handgun in public, even concealed under your shirt. You can go into a Wal Mart here and they have gun racks behind a counter where you can buy a gun. I was even joking with her that she can buy one if she wants, and they even have a pink shotgun she might like.

She feels completely safe here and it took time just for her to realize that it's totally safe here to stop at traffic lights. That buses are safe to ride. That there's no risk of anyone running around lawlessly in the streets robbing or shooting people, because criminals don't have a monopoly on guns.

Quote Posted by belljoshua565 (here)
    They have only one purpose, that is to kill, is that the solution to anything?
    Tell me how this type of argument works for you the next time a murderer starts busting down your door. I have a feeling if a murderer could be stopped this easily someone would have figured it out by now.

In a situation like this, if you can't reason with an attacker and stop him, or jump out of a window to get away, you might wish you had a gun. If you lived in the US, you would have the right to own one if you had so chosen, and many people really do successfully defend themselves and their families in this way. But as mentioned already, this isn't the main protection offered by an armed populace. It helps prevent tyrannical government (though we would consider a dictator or an outright monarch tyrannical in the US so this self-sovereign mentality may have a lot to do with it, as someone else pointed out earlier in this thread) and also prevents any successful foreign occupation. The idea that someone who has a gun is going to shoot everyone as soon as they get angry (as I notice foreigners tend to think) is also not realistic. We grow up around guns and when we are grown up, most of us have a grown-up respect for them and understand the basics, like never point a gun at a person even if you think it's not loaded, never leave it where children could access it, only use it for self-defense in a life-and-death situation.... This is how we have guns and aren't really in total chaos here after all.
    Last edited by A Voice from the Mountains; 5th December 2014 at 00:11. Reason: added response to belljoshua

36. Link to Post #20
    Romania Unsubscribed
    Thanks

in the first 15 min this video describes why you will not see my side of the argument, why most people live their entire lives with out changing their opinions on strongly held beliefs; this video shows us (with proof to back it up) the mental workings that trap us
    Very interesting video, though I did not quite like the way he tried to explain consciousness.

So, are you trying to say that the first 15 mins of the video describe why you might BOTH not see the other's side of the argument or just why Napping might not see YOUR side of the argument?

I'm asking because my first impression (and I'm sorry if I'm mistaken) is that you don't "practice what you preach", that you are only taking in the possibility that he is wrong and not that also you might be wrong. Couldn't the same mechanism be triggered in your brain, "acting on a neural level as if you're being threatened, even if this threat comes from harmless opinions or facts that you may otherwise find helpful and could rationally agree with"? - quoted from the video -

If so, that would make your post seem condescending to say the least.

Only because the comedian doesn't know that many of these massacres might have been false flags, does that actually invalidate his arguments? Aren't the massacres still possible? Wouldn't there be a higher probability for these events to take place in a country where children/adults have a far greater ease to get hold of weapons?

You say that guns bring lower crime rates. Most probably true, but is this how we want to solve problems? With fear? Instead of solving the underlying causes that lead to crime/war?

I do understand that I might be wrong and this mechanism inside my brain would prevent me to rationally see this, but still I hold my beliefs.

I don't believe you solve fear with fear.
    I don't believe violence and war are an answer to anything,
    I don't believe armed citizens are a way to deter other nations from invading, I think no country should invade or wage war on another country ever, period.
    I don't believe armed citizens are a way to deter a government from sending its soldiers against the people. I think armed citizens would actually be an excuse/tool for the soldiers to be coerced into viewing the people as enemies ("terrorists")
    I believe guns and violence will only sow confusion and fear in any revolution and I think a peaceful stand will always be the best solution for protest against a government.

I don't believe in "banning" in general but I also don't agree with tools for killing. I think killing is objectively wrong so... shouldn't this be banned? It just feels that guns shouldn't actually exist in the first place, even if this sounds really extreme.

If x people out of a population have thoughts of killing someone only a percentage of them will actually do it (why society has put those thoughts in their head is a different discussion). I trully and objectively believe that the percentage would be higher if the x people would have access to guns - it's just easier, a way to just pull a trigger and poof - than if those people would have to brutally do the killing (with knives/axes/rocks).
    In my country almost nobody has guns, we have practically no gun deaths and I wouldn't want it any other way.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 4 LastLast