1. Link to Post #21
    United States Avalon Member ZooLife's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,079 times in 1,967 posts

Default Re: Bruce Lee’s Teachings

Quote Posted by RunningDeer (here)
    Quote Posted by ZooLife (here)
    What will you 'take on' ?
    "If you build an army of 100 lions and their leader is a dog, in any fight, the lions will die like a dog. But if you build an army of 100 dogs and their leader is a lion, all dogs will fight as a lion"." - Napoleon Bonaparte

It's not a quote I relate to. Either I've missed the point or too literal this evening.

From my perspective:
    • The quote doesn’t fit the world I’m here to co-create.
    • I’m not here to conquer anything.
    • Why build an army?
    • Competition is not the way of the new energy.
    • Leadership changes as a project evolves.
    • Dogs and lions deserve peace and freedom to roam.
    Couldn’t resist adding this:

Honey & Kwanza - Dog & Lion Best Friends

<3
    Yep, in this case, I think you were taking it too literal.

We all have 'taken on' something(s) in this world.

Did you not 'take on' RunningDeer'?

RunningDeer ....... Be That.
    I still have eyes to see what the world would have me see but that doesn't mean I believe. - Sara

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ZooLife For This Post:

joeecho (14th December 2014), RunningDeer (14th December 2014), Shezbeth (14th December 2014)

3. Link to Post #22
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,216 times in 1,274 posts

RunningDeer,

May I suggest it is disingenuous to posit against competition in a thread dedicated to one of the all-time greatest martial artists, or would that be disruptive?
    Last edited by Shezbeth; 14th December 2014 at 02:36.

4. Link to Post #23
    Thanks

*Deleted post*

Out of sequence.
    Last edited by ZooLife; 14th December 2014 at 03:01.
    I still have eyes to see what the world would have me see but that doesn't mean I believe. - Sara

5. Link to Post #24
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,310 times in 18,139 posts

If you define "take on" as standing up for what's important to me and in protection of others. Then I get that.

As for Did you not 'take on' RunningDeer'? it's been around for a while.

Princess RunningDeer was a guide of mine in the early 1970’s. The only one who ever gave me their name. She’s native american and dressed in white deer buckskin because of her status. So, in her honor, and with her permission… I changed my avatar name from "WhiteCrowBlackDeer" to "RunningDeer".

<3

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

joeecho (14th December 2014), JRS (14th December 2014), Shezbeth (14th December 2014), Wind (15th December 2014), ZooLife (14th December 2014)

7. Link to Post #25
    Thanks

If you define "take on" as standing up for what's important to me and in protection of others. Then I get that.

As for Did you not 'take on' RunningDeer'? it's been around for a while.

Princess RunningDeer was a guide of mine in the early 1970’s. The only one who ever gave me their name. She’s native american and dressed in white deer buckskin because of her status. So, in her honor, and with her permission… I changed my avatar name from "WhiteCrowBlackDeer" to "RunningDeer".

<3
    I think you're still not seeing the 'spirit' of my last two posts. It's not about armies or what a person specifically 'takes on'.

BE like water

Be LIKE water

Be like WATER

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ZooLife For This Post:

joeecho (14th December 2014), RunningDeer (14th December 2014), Shezbeth (14th December 2014)

9. Link to Post #26
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Shezbeth (here)
    RunningDeer,

May I suggest it is disingenuous to posit against competition in a thread dedicated to one of the all-time greatest martial artists, or would that be disruptive?
    Disingenuous? No. I shared my personal thoughts.

My initial thought was: “Aside from the top three words, “Be like water”, how does a quote from Napoleon Bonaparte fit in a Bruce Lee’s thread?” I decided I might be missing the point and chose to go in another direction.

I’ve participated in martial artist since 1988. I was involved in form and fighting competitions, also weapon and fighting techniques. I’ve put in a lot of miles of travel for classes, private lesson and competitions. For me, the competition was about myself, my personal best, study, philosophy and health. I left that world when it became about winning and fighting.

I’ve come home with first place medals/trophies, but my personal best was being placed in the men’s fighting competition because I was told the women dropped out. I went up against my teacher and came in third place.

My experience was that people begin to see you as the enemy. No longer was it about sharing techniques and information. I prefer co-operation over competition.

<3
    Last edited by RunningDeer; 21st April 2015 at 23:17.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

joeecho (14th December 2014), JRS (14th December 2014), Midnight Rambler (14th December 2014), Shezbeth (14th December 2014), sigma6 (3rd January 2015), Wind (15th December 2014), ZooLife (14th December 2014)

11. Link to Post #27
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,216 times in 1,274 posts

I do like the Afghani Bruce Lee, but I just have one comment; knit-picky, I know

Wanting to be 'like' Bruce Lee is good, but Lee himself didn't achieve what he did by trying to emulate others, he achieved his greatness by wanting to fully and emphatically be himself. I would tell that guy that after giving him a whoopin, but I doubt that day will ever come. ^_~

12. Link to Post #28
    Thanks

I prefer co-operation over competition.
    <3
    Be like water encompasses co-operation, competition, co-operation over competition and competition over co-operation......

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ZooLife For This Post:

joeecho (14th December 2014), RunningDeer (14th December 2014), Shezbeth (14th December 2014), Wind (15th December 2014)

14. Link to Post #29
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,270 times in 446 posts

Nice thread. Something inspiring! I like the quote from Bruce Lee earlier in this thread about cultivation "Cultivation, by definition, is the process of trying to acquire or develop a quality or skill. All skills, be it playing a guitar or writing, are tools for self expression. By merely imitating techniques you maybe able to “mimic” a seasoned artist, but you won’t be able to completely master the skill unless you’re one with the art itself. Thus, to master a skill or an art completely, you have to know yourself fully and then express that knowing of yourself through that art or skill In a seasoned artist, there’s nothing to add and nothing to take away. His or her core is expressing itself through the paint brush, the pen, or the kick."

It is amazing how broadly a person can apply this quote. I was thinking how well if fits for visual arts and mental health therapy. Really good therapy cannot happen if you are just copying technique. Traumatized people like we often see are very sensitive to any kind of insincerity. You really have to be yourself to win people's trust and in order to be helpful you have to operate from your core self and not waste time.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aspen For This Post:

joeecho (14th December 2014), RunningDeer (14th December 2014), Shezbeth (14th December 2014), Wind (15th December 2014), ZooLife (14th December 2014)

16. Link to Post #30
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,453 times in 1,583 posts

Lee's aim was total freedom in expression. Look at the Matrix. When Neo becomes enlightened, he doesn't fight aggressively. He fights his opponent without any effort. Bruce used martial arts to reach this level. There was no ego in what he was trying to achieve. I don't feel that he felt proud beating people. He was happy about his own improvement in expressing himself.

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Guish For This Post:

Andrew (16th December 2014), joeecho (14th December 2014), RunningDeer (14th December 2014), Shezbeth (14th December 2014), Wind (15th December 2014), ZooLife (14th December 2014)

18. Link to Post #31
    Thanks

Great thread, love Bruce Lee, an inspiration!!

This is my favourite quote and the most powerful imo.

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Andrew For This Post:

joeecho (14th December 2014), RunningDeer (14th December 2014), Shezbeth (14th December 2014), Wind (15th December 2014), ZooLife (14th December 2014)

20. Link to Post #32
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,453 times in 1,583 posts

Quote Posted by Andrew (here)
    Great thread, love Bruce Lee, an inspiration!!

This is my favourite quote and the most powerful imo.
    Thanks bro. In the end of the video, I thought that he was going to say " To become one with the moment".

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guish For This Post:

Andrew (16th December 2014), RunningDeer (15th December 2014)

22. Link to Post #33
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Five of Bruce Lee’s Teachings that will Change Your Life

Bruce Lee was an inspiration to many people. Through his movies he not only entertained us but also taught us about a new way of living. “Be Like Water” is probably his best-known advice to young men and women who aspire to reach his level of success. In this article, we’ll share some of his brilliant quotes which give you a new insight on living your life. The following teachings, if applied into your daily activities, will bring about massive changes in your life.
    Be Water, My Friend!

Empty your mind
    Be formless, shapeless
    Like water
    Now you put water into a cup
    It becomes the cup
    You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle
    You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot
    Now water can flow or it can crash
    Be water my friend

Let Go of The Past
    To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the “old,” you derive security; from the “ new,” you gain the flow.

Many people cling to their past all their life. Being identified with that past gives them a safe feeling. They think that they are their past no matter how good or how bad it is. This saves them the trouble of facing the real world and the situations of the present moment. However, the moment one ceases to identify oneself with that old being, one unlocks a new way of living. A living that is not only free but also open to powerful new ideas. You are not your past. Everything you are starts and ends right here, in the present moment.
    Alan Watts - Living in the present (boat analogy)

Be Single Minded
    The fighter is to always be single-minded with one object in view—to fight, looking neither backward nor sideways. He must get rid of obstructions to his forward movement, emotionally, physically or intellectually.

Get rid of all distractions so that you can focus only on your goal. Right now, there may be many obstacles standing between you and your goal. Focusing on your obstacles will lengthen your journey; instead, focus single-mindedly on your goal and you will reach it faster.
    Cultivate Simplicity
    The height of cultivation runs to simplicity. Halfway cultivation runs to ornamentation. In combative arts, it has been the problem of ripening. This ripening is the progressive integration of the individual with his being, his essence. This is possible only through self-exploration in free expression and not in imitative repetition of an imposed pattern of movement.

Cultivation, by definition, is the process of trying to acquire or develop a quality or skill. All skills, be it playing a guitar or writing, are tools for self expression. By merely imitating techniques you maybe able to “mimic” a seasoned artist, but you won’t be able to completely master the skill unless you’re one with the art itself. Thus, to master a skill or an art completely, you have to know yourself fully and then express that knowing of yourself through that art or skill  In a seasoned artist, there’s nothing to add and nothing to take away. His or her core is expressing itself through the paint brush, the pen, or the kick.
    Bruce Lee Stages of Cultivation

Knowing is a Process
    Knowledge is fixed in time, whereas, knowing is continual. Knowledge comes from a source, from an accumulation, from a conclusion, while knowing is a movement.

Embracing the fact that knowing will never end is the most important quality you need to have to excel in any art or profession. Most people live a life wherein they are continuously struggling to accumulate new knowledge in order to grow. Knowledge, however, doesn’t lead to mastery. What leads to mastery is embracing the process of continuous growth. You must have a fundamental understanding of the importance of maintaining what most people call “The Beginner’s mind.”
    Mindfulness 9 attitudes - beginners mind.

Empty your Mind
    Empty your cup so that it may be filled; become devoid to gain totality.

Empty yourself. Empty yourself from emotions, thoughts, or even ideas. A mind devoid of chatter is the mind of a true warrior.

Source: Tao of the Jeet Kune Do

more quotes
    Last edited by RunningDeer; 22nd June 2020 at 14:31.

23. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

avid (22nd June 2020), Bill Ryan (22nd June 2020), ClearWater (22nd June 2020), Forest Denizen (23rd June 2020), Hym (22nd June 2020), Ivanhoe (22nd June 2020), Satori (22nd June 2020), Wind (23rd June 2020)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2