+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Woman Who Saw Dragons

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member Skywizard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,732 times in 1,319 posts

Default The Woman Who Saw Dragons

A 52 year old woman suffered from a strange problem: she saw dragons wherever she looked.

Here’s the medical case report in The Lancet: Prosopometamorphopsia and facial hallucinations from a team of researchers including the famous Oliver Sacks.

In July, 2011, a 52-year-old woman presented to our psychiatric outpatient clinic with a life-long history of seeing people’s faces change into dragon-like faces and hallucinating similar faces many times a day.

What does a dragon look like? According to the patient, when someone turns into one, their faces become

Black, grew long, pointy ears and a protruding snout, and displayed a reptiloid skin and huge eyes in bright yellow, green, blue, or red.

These hallucinations didn’t just occur when the woman was looking at real faces. The dragons also came out of nowhere

She saw similar dragon-like faces drifting towards her many times a day from the walls, electrical sockets, or the computer screen, in both the presence and absence of face-like patterns, and at night she saw many dragon-like faces in the dark.

What was causing these strange phenomena? The authors of the case report confess that they’re not sure. Brain scanning revealed no obvious cause:

Neurological examination, blood tests, and electroencephalogram (EEG) were normal, and MRI brain showed only a few white-matter abnormalities

The authors nonetheless go on to speculate as to the neurological basis of the woman’s complaints, but I think that if they were to speak freely, they’d admit that it’s a mystery.

Our story has a happy ending, at least. The woman was put on rivastigmine, an anti-dementia medication, and this vanquished the dragons (mostly). Previously she had been unable to hold down a job because the hallucinations interfered with her social interactions, but now

She has remained in the same job for the past 3 years and her interaction with colleagues is greatly improved.

Source: http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/ne...o-saw-dragons/

peace...
    Last edited by Skywizard; 31st December 2014 at 14:24.
    ~~ One foot in the Ancient World and the other in the Now ~~

2. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Skywizard For This Post:

Agape (31st December 2014), aranuk (31st December 2014), Axman (31st December 2014), Ellisa (1st January 2015), Fellow Aspirant (31st December 2014), fourty-two (1st January 2015), ghostrider (1st January 2015), InTheBackground (1st January 2015), Lifebringer (31st December 2014), Limor Wolf (31st December 2014), seko (1st January 2015), selinam (31st December 2014), Sierra (1st January 2015), Snoweagle (1st January 2015), Sunny-side-up (31st December 2014), Tesla_WTC_Solution (31st December 2014), william r sanford72 (31st December 2014), Wind (1st January 2015)

3. Link to Post #2
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,646 times in 689 posts

Default Re: The Woman Who Saw Dragons

I wonder if she had more DMT in her system than most people do. There has been research done where volunteers who took DMT saw many strange sights they didn't normally see.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Snookie For This Post:

InTheBackground (1st January 2015), Sierra (1st January 2015), Sunny-side-up (31st December 2014), Tesla_WTC_Solution (31st December 2014), tessie999 (1st January 2015), william r sanford72 (31st December 2014)

5. Link to Post #3
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,722 times in 4,284 posts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_George

Quote He is immortalized in the tale of Saint George and the Dragon and is one of the Fourteen Holy Helpers. His memorial is celebrated on 23 April (6 May), and he is regarded as one of the most prominent military saints.

Many Patronages of Saint George exist around the world, including: Malta, Georgia, England, Egypt, Bulgaria, Aragon, Catalonia, Romania, Ethiopia, Greece, India, Iraq, Lebanon, Lithuania, Palestine, Portugal, Sardinia, Serbia, Macedonia, Ukraine, Russia and Syria, as well as the cities of Genoa, Amersfoort, Beirut, Botoşani, Drobeta Turnu-Severin, Timișoara, Fakiha, Bteghrine, Cáceres, Ferrara, Freiburg im Breisgau, Kragujevac, Kumanovo, Ljubljana, Pérouges, Pomorie, Preston, Qormi, Rio de Janeiro, Lydda, Lviv, Barcelona, Moscow and Victoria, as well as of the Scout Movement[4] and a wide range of professions, organizations, and disease sufferers including leprosy, plague, herpes and syphilis.
    Quote Meningovascular syphilis typically presents with apathy and seizure, and general paresis with dementia and tabes dorsalis.[4] Also, there may be Argyll Robertson pupils, which are bilateral small pupils that constrict when the person focuses on near objects, but do not constrict when exposed to bright light.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argyll_Robertson_pupil

Quote Argyll Robertson pupils (“AR pupils” or colloquially as "Prostitute's Pupil") are bilateral small pupils that reduce in size when the patient focuses on a near object (they “accommodate”), but do not constrict when exposed to bright light (they do not “react” to light). They are a highly specific sign of neurosyphilis, and might also be a sign of diabetic neuropathy. In general, pupils that “accommodate but do not react” are said to show light-near dissociation- i.e., its the absence of a miotic reaction to light, both direct and consensual, with the preservation of a miotic reaction to near stimulus (accommodation-convergence). A video of AR pupils and light-near dissociation is available here

AR pupils are extremely uncommon in the developed world. There is continued interest in the underlying pathophysiology, but the scarcity of cases makes ongoing research difficult.

Quote A third cause of light-near dissociation is Parinaud syndrome, also called dorsal midbrain syndrome. This uncommon syndrome involves vertical gaze palsy associated with pupils that “accommodate but do not react."[6] The causes of Parinaud syndrome include brain tumors (pinealomas), multiple sclerosis and brainstem infarction.

Due to the lack of detail in the older literature and the scarcity of AR pupils at the present time, it is not known whether syphilis can cause Parinaud syndrome. It is not known whether AR pupils are any different from the pupils seen in other dorsal midbrain lesions.

State hospital bulletin: published four times a year by the State Hospital ...
    By New York. State Hospital Commission

sad stuff

6. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Member Gatita's Avatar
    Thanks

I can think of worse things to see.

Cat

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Gatita For This Post:

Sunny-side-up (31st December 2014)

8. Link to Post #5
    Australia Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,067 times in 950 posts

That's an extraordinary story. It would be a horrible thing to happen to you I think. They do appear to be hallucinations, as they were alleviated by medication.

I really like that picture Tesla, the colours are brilliant,and the information in the background is intriguing.

I wonder what those ancient 'dragons' were. There are so many myths and legends about them, everywhere, all over the world.

9. Link to Post #6
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 95,902 times in 15,481 posts

Quote Posted by Skywizard (here)
    [...]

The woman was put on rivastigmine, an anti-dementia medication, and this vanquished the dragons (mostly). Previously she had been unable to hold down a job because the hallucinations interfered with her social interactions, but now

[...]
    I... I... hic... I... see ppp... pink... eleph.... hic... phants... in... hic... rooms...

... do.. you.. hic... think you can... hic... conjure... hic... my delir.... hic... rrrium trem... hic... mmens... hic... with some... hic... chemi... hic... cals... ?

Dose some... hic... of my ... hic... neurons... with... hic... chem... hic... cals... lobotom..... hic... mizing... thing... hic... gies... ?

Happ... ppp ... hic... pppy... New... hic... Year... every... hic... one!!!

No, nnnnn... no.... hic... not dddr... hic... unk... yet!

[Mod's hat off... hic.. on... hic.. OFF... yeah!]
    Last edited by Hervé; 1st January 2015 at 01:27.
    "La réalité est un rêve que l'on fait atterrir" San Antonio AKA F. Dard

Troll-hood motto: Never, ever, however, whatsoever, to anyone, a point concede.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

Sierra (1st January 2015)

11. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member ghostrider's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,800 times in 6,634 posts

Quote Posted by Gatita (here)
    I can think of worse things to see.

Cat
    yes like Dick Cheney ...
    Raiding the Matrix One Mind at a Time ...

12. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

Is it just me, or do the people in the tower have... odd... faces?

I think the woman was seeing a vibrational overlay...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to InTheBackground For This Post:

Skywizard (1st January 2015)

+ Reply to Thread