+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Seriously? Biblical Christianity?

1. Link to Post #1
    Netherlands Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,809 times in 819 posts

Default Seriously? Biblical Christianity?

Last edited by Mu2143; 18th March 2015 at 22:40.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mu2143 For This Post:

Axman (12th January 2015), Baby Steps (12th January 2015), GCS1103 (11th January 2015), jagman (12th January 2015), justntime2learn (11th January 2015), Milneman (13th January 2015), tcjim1 (12th January 2015)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,078 times in 2,355 posts

Default Re: Seriously? Biblical Christianity?

I consider the holy spirit to be in myself as much as the next Christian, and Jesus's two greatest commandments should be the centerpiece of the whole Bible. Where I have issues with others is when they start to read other parts of the Bible and the saying "a little knowledge is dangerous" comes into effect.

The Old Testament for example requires a lot of historical context and a lot of theological comparison with the New Testament, whereas most people have no problem reading one passage out of the OT like not to shave your beard, or not to eat certain animals or seafood, and think that they're not Christian if they don't follow these laws, whereas if you read the whole book then it's obvious this isn't the case.

The OT is full of Canaanite traditions seeping into Judaism, the Jewish prophets warning against it constantly, and the Book of Hebrews in the NT calls the Old Testament a "curse" that the gentiles were never under. One of the five books of Moses makes references to human sacrifice while Isaiah asks (on behalf of God), who has told you people to sacrifice things in my courts?

Jesus's two commandments, and everything else in the gospels as far as I can remember, good stuff. Everything else in the Bible, not so straightforward.

4. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member ghostrider's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,800 times in 6,634 posts

It is scary , one group follows the words of a man called Jesus , one group follows the words of a man called Muhammad , both sets of followers , believe the other is the devil/evil and will destroy the world to defend their belief , both believe mass extinction is inevitable , and only their belief will save them ... In my view , not to offend anyone , just MY view , both are the same spirit in different personalities who's teaching was corrupted by men , to keep people under the control of a few ... The reason ET's hide , they don't want another religion created , look what it has done to our world ... For 9,000 years the ET's have been trying to help , sending the spirit of the teacher of creation to Earth , each time it is corrupted by men , seven times they have sent the same spirit form to help and we corrupt the words and kill the prophet ... Enoch-Isaiah-Elijah-Jeremiah-Immanuel-Muhammad=Beam ... the seven prophets from the seven sisters -the Plejaren ( their forefathers)the gods and angels of our past ...they feel responsible for what their ancestors did in the past on Earth ...
    Raiding the Matrix One Mind at a Time ...

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ghostrider For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (11th January 2015), Art (13th January 2015), Axman (12th January 2015), Baby Steps (12th January 2015), DaRkViPeR (11th January 2015)

6. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

That's why I say people should focus on Jesus's greatest 2 commandments. Someone asked Jesus what the great commandment was, and he gave them two: love God, and love your neighbor (fellow human being) as yourself. He said as long as you follow those 2 laws you won't break any of the rest of them.

I'm open to other ways of looking at the universe, and the way I see it, the Bible doesn't teach electrical engineering, for example, so why should it teach everything there is to know about anything else? The Bible itself places more emphasis on indwelling spirit than it does its own pages. And if you read the NT, it's pretty conclusive that the most use the OT is for Christians today is as a history lesson and not much more than that. (The OT is where a lot of hateful things are said and taught.)

7. Link to Post #5
    Language
    Music
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,416 times in 423 posts

Quote Posted by ghostrider (here)
    It is scary , one group follows the words of a man called Jesus , one group follows the words of a man called Muhammad , both sets of followers , believe the other is the devil/evil and will destroy the world to defend their belief , both believe mass extinction is inevitable , and only their belief will save them ... In my view , not to offend anyone , just MY view , both are the same spirit in different personalities who's teaching was corrupted by men , to keep people under the control of a few ... The reason ET's hide , they don't want another religion created , look what it has done to our world ... For 9,000 years the ET's have been trying to help , sending the spirit of the teacher of creation to Earth , each time it is corrupted by men , seven times they have sent the same spirit form to help and we corrupt the words and kill the prophet ... Enoch-Isaiah-Elijah-Jeremiah-Immanuel-Muhammad=Beam ... the seven prophets from the seven sisters -the Plejaren ( their forefathers)the gods and angels of our past ...they feel responsible for what their ancestors did in the past on Earth ...
    Amen brother thats what man is good for. I was brought up in the church never could get a handle on a lot of the stories thought there had to be more too it. If we could could follow it the world would be better. Even if you only read the red lines in the bible what christ said it would not hurt mankind one bit. If I was a off world ET I sure would not come down hear without protection.

The Axman
    So what we cant see means little to some souls on this planet.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Axman For This Post:

Baby Steps (12th January 2015), Gardener (12th January 2015), ghostrider (12th January 2015)

9. Link to Post #6
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

One of the big stumbling blocks to understanding real christianity and the biblical texts is the translation methods used by scholars and theologians to present it in English. The translations are said to be in poetic language etc and are really a cover up to hide what they have done to the text and thus the message preached from the pulpits. That is the reason the texts/scriptures are so hard to understand for the layman, and not only the layman but those who think they know. To worm around some difficult points they will tell you a certain part is to be taken allegorically and where the need be they tell you to take it literally. It can be sorted out but you have to do some leg work. To this day they are still shoving things into the closet, spreading misinfo and outright lies to perpetuate their deceptions. The true teachings of Christ are love and healing, not the fear doctrines of our day.
    Example: Exodus 3:14 in the text you will read where Moses asks God what His Name is, the text you will read says "I Am that I Am, emphasis and capitalized letters on the I Am. In the real text it says "i am The Being", emphasis and capitalized letters will be "The Being".
    Which one would you say makes it clear to you?

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rozzy For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (12th January 2015), Axman (12th January 2015), Baby Steps (12th January 2015), Gardener (12th January 2015)

11. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member Gerald Paris's Avatar
    Thanks

This video is full of her muddied perception and not biblical teaching. I mean she even trashed on one dude for writing a book and saying that the bible warns about "many people coming in my name" and then totally promotes the work of bill wiese as though anything found in his trash fantasy could be verified biblically. give me a break.

thanks for sharing though

Last edited by Gerald Paris; 12th January 2015 at 06:04.

12. Link to Post #8
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

A little follow up to my earlier post to build on and illustrate how big the problem of managing the message is.
    John 3:16 For God so loved the world, the word translated to world is "Kosmos", (cosmos)
    Matthew 28:20 even unto the end of the world, the word translated world here is "age"
    In Matthew, the first book of the NT it states over and ever "end of the world", the real text says "end of the age". There is a huge difference between the end of an age and the end of the world, the end of the world is stated through out the NT and also "the end" is stated over and over which people then have to assume means the end of the world, the end of the earth completely.
    That is how the theologians insert their doctrines to replace the real christian message, that is only a sample of what they have done but it is enough for illustrative purpose here.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Rozzy For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (12th January 2015)

14. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Rozzy (here)
    Example: Exodus 3:14 in the text you will read where Moses asks God what His Name is, the text you will read says "I Am that I Am, emphasis and capitalized letters on the I Am. In the real text it says "i am The Being", emphasis and capitalized letters will be "The Being".
    Well I agree with the general content of your post but Hebrew has neither capital letters not a definite article (the word "the").

The passage in question is an interesting one and seems to have a deep spiritual or metaphysical meaning.

15. Link to Post #10
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by bsbray (here)
    Well I agree with the general content of your post but Hebrew has neither capital letters not a definite article (the word "the").

The passage in question is an interesting one and seems to have a deep spiritual or metaphysical meaning.
    I must also state here that the Bible of the early Church for centuries was not the Hebrew text but was The Septuagint Greek text. There were two separate and distinct MSS of the Hebrew scriptures. One is the basis for The Septuagint, translated third century B.C. and the other is a Babylonian MS now known as The Masoretic Text. Scholars and theologians said that the LXX was a inferior and poor translation compared to the Masoretic Text, however, this is not the case as it is not rendered from the same MS and certainly is different. The LXX is the Bible quoted almost exclusively by Christ and the Apostles, not the Masoretic text promoted by western churches.

That is just the tip of the ice berg so to speak, major doctrines in the modern Church just did not exist until they made them happen. I am talking eternal punishment, the heaven and earth burning up etc.
    Before getting into the fear doctrines promoted now I will stay with some basic tenets that set the foundation, so to speak. In the Bible we now read, the creation of the earth, the foundation, etc. The real word there is "disruption" of the earth. This puts a whole new complexion on the text and its message to the reader.

Some examples:

Before the disruption:

John 17:24. "Thou lovest Me before the disruption of the world.”
    Eph. 1:4 "He chooses us in Him before the disruption of the world."
    1 Peter 1:20 "The precious blood of Christ, as of a flawless and unspotted lamb, foreknown, indeed, before the disruption of the world."

From the disruption:

Matt. 13:35 "I shall be opening My mouth in parables, I shall be emitting what is hid from the disruption of the world."
    Matt.25:34 "The kingdom made ready for you from the disruption of the world."
    Luke 11:50 "The blood of all the prophets which is shed from the disruption of the world."
    Heb. 4:3 "Although the works occur from the disruption of the world."
    Heb. 9:26 "He must be suffering often from the disruption of the world."
    Rev. 13:8 "The Lambkin, slain from the disruption of the world."
    Rev. 17:8 "The scroll of life, from the disruption of the world."
    Last edited by Rozzy; 13th January 2015 at 16:51.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rozzy For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (13th January 2015), Jake (21st January 2015)

17. Link to Post #11
    United States Honored, Retired Member. Sierra passed in April 2021.
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,462 times in 5,424 posts

What gets me, is that Jesus had one agenda, to demonstrate how to have a personal one on one relationship with G*d...

Not start another patriarchal controlling religion.

Jesus said pray alone, in your closet, with the door shut, not in front of other people, not in a church, not under any authority, and certainly not to please or stroke the ego with public displays of piety.

The way to G*d is always unique, always for your eyes only, always fitted to your soul.

There is no point in sharing how you got "there", as a directive, as a template, as an order, because no one else will get "there" that way.

One. single. lone. spiritual agenda, lost in the claptrap of the bossy, and brassy religious brayers, so self righteous, so ignorant.

Sheesh, that is frustrating.

Very interesting Rozzy, the hiding of "disruption". Thank you.

Another interesting one is the deliberate mistranslation of several words, to introduce a concept of "hell" to the Bible:

HEBREW AND GREEK WORDS MISTRANSLATED TO MEAN HELL

Mistranslations of Sheol, Hades, Tartarus and Gehenna

In Chapter 15, we showed that the concept of ‘eternal punishment in hell’ is an unbiblical pagan doctrine embraced and christianised by the Roman Catholic Church in the early centuries of Christianity, and made official when Jerome translated the Bible into Latin in the Latin Vulgate (circa 400 AD).

The doctrine of ‘everlasting punishment in hell’ is founded upon a combination of mistranslations and misinterpretations of the following Hebrew and Greek words.

Mistranslations of the Hebrew word sheol, and the Greek words hades, tartarus and gehenna, to mean hell.

Snip...

In this chapter, we deal with the mistranslations of sheol, hades, tartarus and gehenna whilst in the next chapter, we deal with the mistranslations of owlam, aion and aionios.

Hell is such an infinitely extreme and dreadfully fearful doctrine with respect to the fate of unbelievers, who are the vast majority of humanity, that surely God would have inspired clear, unambiguous statements about it in the Bible if it were true. Also, one would expect Bible translators, experts in the Hebrew and Greek languages, to be in complete agreement about how many times the word ‘hell’ occurs in the Bible. But the shocking fact is that the opposite is true.

When we examine how often the word ‘hell’ occurs in various versions of the Bible from the Latin Vulgate onwards, we are shocked to see just how widely Bible translators differ in their opinion and understanding of the word ‘hell’.

Snip...

All versions of the Bible except for these three, the Latin Vulgate, the KJV and the NKJV, reject any notion of hell occurring in the original Hebrew Manuscripts of the Old Testament. Also, please especially note from the comparison table that the translators of the Jewish Publication Society Bible and the Tanakh/The Complete Jewish Bible disagree with the Latin Vulgate, the KJV and the NKJV by making no mention of hell whatsoever in their Bibles. If the Jews, who are experts in their own Hebrew language, do not include hell in their Bibles, then this further confirms that there is not a single word that means hell in the Hebrew Manuscripts of the Old Testament.

There are also several Bible versions that reject any notion of hell occurring in the Greek Manuscripts of the New Testament. Among others, these versions include Young’s Literal Translation, Rotherham’s Emphasized Bible and the Emphatic Diaglott Greek/English Interlinear Bible.

The truth of the matter is that there is not one single word in the Hebrew and Greek Manuscripts of the Bible that means hell. As discussed in the previous chapter, hell is a man-invented, pagan, unchristian, heretical belief that was first embraced and christianised by Roman Catholicism, and incorporated into the Bible by Jerome through his Latin Vulgate in the early history of Christianity.

From: http://www.godsplanforall.com/mistranslationstomeanhell (A fascinating article!)

To open up the view, a comment from one of the most unbiased and respected Christians I've read:

The idea that a return to God means a loss of individuality is paradoxical, since God is aware of everything that happens and must therefore be aware of the consciousness of each individual. Thus the return of the soul is the return of the image to that which imagined it, and the consciousness of an individual—its record, written in mind—could not be destroyed without destroying part of God Himself. When a soul returns to God it becomes aware of itself not only as a part of God, but as a part of every other soul, and everything.

- Edgar Cayce

From: http://www.edgarcaycebooksblog.com/e...osophy-part-1/

To me, that sounds like ... We are one, already *are* one, always will be one.

Seriously.

Sierra

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sierra For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (13th January 2015), Cristian (13th January 2015), Jake (21st January 2015), Maunagarjana (21st January 2015), PurpleLama (13th January 2015), Roseheart (13th January 2015)

19. Link to Post #12
    Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,498 times in 1,175 posts

OH BOTHER!

Duplicate post.

Feeling rather Eeyore.
    Last edited by Milneman; 13th January 2015 at 20:53.

20. Link to Post #13
    Deactivated
    Thanks

Sierra, quick questions.

1. Why the asterisk in the word God? I'm assuming you're differentiating between definitions. If that's the case, could you explain the difference between what is defined by God and G*d?

2. Care to wager a guess as to why moral relativism, or relativism of any kind for that matter, is a self-refuting theory?

(Now why would he bring that into this thread?)

Mu? We might have different ways we express our faith, and we may have things about which we agree and disagree upon. I find it not only refreshing but gratifying that someone can share their experience here even in the light of people who clearly are uncomfortable (especially who are clearly uncomfortable) with what you're saying.

I also find it interesting to note that were you sharing the same kind of experience, but instead of Christ you were talking about an ET experience, I suspect the reception to your story would be very different.

Avalon? We need to take a look at why this is, and what this says about us. This is a seriously good opportunity that we should not pass up.

Or I'm just a nutty frozen bear waiting for his honey to thaw out....tiddly pom

21. Link to Post #14
    United States Honored, Retired Member. Sierra passed in April 2021.
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,462 times in 5,424 posts

Quote Posted by Milneman (here)
    Sierra, quick questions.

1. Why the asterisk in the word God? I'm assuming you're differentiating between definitions. If that's the case, could you explain the difference between what is defined by God and G*d?

2. Care to wager a guess as to why moral relativism, or relativism of any kind for that matter, is a self-refuting theory?

(Now why would he bring that into this thread?)

Mu? We might have different ways we express our faith, and we may have things about which we agree and disagree upon. I find it not only refreshing but gratifying that someone can share their experience here even in the light of people who clearly are uncomfortable (especially who are clearly uncomfortable) with what you're saying.

I also find it interesting to note that were you sharing the same kind of experience, but instead of Christ you were talking about an ET experience, I suspect the reception to your story would be very different.

Avalon? We need to take a look at why this is, and what this says about us. This is a seriously good opportunity that we should not pass up.

Or I'm just a nutty frozen bear waiting for his honey to thaw out....tiddly pom
    1. Habit. A matter of respect. Some people don't like to see the name spelled out.

2. I have no idea how this relates to the thread. And relative being relative...

Sierra

22. Link to Post #15
    Deactivated
    Thanks

I've never seen that! So God and G*d basically are the same things, except one is politically correct and the other is not....

...I wonder what Swinburne would think about that.

23. Link to Post #16
    Netherlands Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,809 times in 819 posts

Last edited by Mu2143; 16th January 2015 at 06:47.

24. Link to Post #17
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by bsbray (here)
    Well I agree with the general content of your post but Hebrew has neither capital letters not a definite article (the word "the")

Actually the Hebrew of today is not the Hebrew of old, Hebrew as a spoken language was defunct for centuries and when it was revived it came back into being with a very large portion of Aramaic throughout. Real Hebrew never had punctuation, there were no capitals as they were written in one size. There actually is a "The" in Hebrew, "Ha" would be the equivalent as demonstrated in "Mashiach", "HaMashiach". Ha, the letter- He, ה being the definite article.

25. Link to Post #18
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Milneman (here)
    I've never seen that! So God and G*d basically are the same things, except one is politically correct and the other is not....

...I wonder what Swinburne would think about that.
    Septuagint Exodus 3:14
    And God spoke to Moses, saying, I am THE BEING; and he said, Thus shall ye say to the children of Israel, THE BEING has sent me to you.

+ Reply to Thread