+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Re-engineer viruses to destroy Cancer

1. Link to Post #1
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,662 times in 8,694 posts

Default Re-engineer viruses to destroy Cancer

Joe Rogan interviews Shane Smith (VICE)
    (it will automatically start at the 1:50:00 if you click this, the pertinent content continues for the next 5 min)

I wonder... since humans have probably been around for many millions of years, is it possible that "viruses" are simply things we created a long time ago to help keep our avatar bodies functioning at peek levels.

we are (very easily) re-programming previously fatal viruses to save us from fatal cellular malfunction.

even if that theory is stupid, this sounds like a pretty damn major discovery.
    Last edited by TargeT; 15th January 2015 at 22:46.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

alh02 (16th January 2015), fractal being (15th January 2015), NancyV (16th January 2015), sandy (16th January 2015)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks

Default Re: Re-engineer viruses to destroy Cancer

For me it didn't start at the 1:50:00 mark.

On the subject it is clear that the guy doesn't have a clue what he's talking about and tbh it's quite annoying the way he talks about it since it can freak out some people. The therapeutic potential of modified Viruses (so called viral vectors) has been researched since mid 80's. However to date none of the viruses they mention has been approved for clinical use in humans except from AAV (neither a measles or HIV virus) which was approved quite recently. I don't know whether we created them million of years ago, because I can't see them surviving the Ice ages without a host. However I find more intriguing the suggestion that they might actually come from outer sources and thus they might have created us .
    Last edited by fractal being; 15th January 2015 at 22:47.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to fractal being For This Post:

TargeT (15th January 2015)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

Quote Posted by fractal being (here)
    However I find more intriguing the suggestion that they might actually come from outer sources.
    well I think WE come from "outer sources" so same same

RE: that interview: Those guys had been drinking vodka and moon shine for 1 hour and 50 min... Shane was visibly intoxicated at the 1:50:00 mark,,,, however I will be very interested in the VICE episode that covers successful human trial viral vectors for lukima and other cancers (which is what he was trying to say... haha).
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

NancyV (16th January 2015)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

Quote Posted by TargeT (here)
    RE: that interview: Those guys had been drinking vodka and moon shine for 1 hour and 50 min... Shane was visibly intoxicated at the 1:50:00 mark,,,,
    I find that very irresponsible, especially when talking about issues of such importance to many people that are suffering from the said diseases.

however I will be very interested in the VICE episode that covers successful human trial viral vectors for lukima and other cancers (which is what he was trying to say... haha).
    Honestly do you think there isn't a cure already around? Have you heard of any super rich dying from Cancer or Leukemia? But most importantly don't you think eliminating the causes instead of the symptoms is a wiser approach. You'll find rarely in the wild a cat or a dog with cancer, if radiation is not involved, however as pets their occurrence is high, that should hint you to somewhere

8. The Following User Says Thank You to fractal being For This Post:

TargeT (15th January 2015)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

Honestly do you think there isn't a cure already around? Have you heard of any super rich dying from Cancer or Leukemia? But most importantly don't you think eliminating the causes instead of the symptoms is a wiser approach. You'll find rarely in the wild a cat or a dog with cancer, if radiation is not involved, however as pets their occurrence is high, that should hint you to somewhere
    not a cure that's about to get an hour on HBO
    & I see PLENTY of house pets with cancer ( I blame the diet, as I do for most human forms also.. I think we are far out of balance as we exist right now)

I wear and have worn a piece of polished uranium around my neck 24-7-365 for the last two years; I'm not completely nescient nor ignorant on this topic. I do like the possible public display of quasi-trans-humanist scientific achievements... of course with layered motives.

RE: that interview: Those guys had been drinking vodka and moon shine for 1 hour and 50 min... Shane was visibly intoxicated at the 1:50:00 mark,,,,
    I find that very irresponsible, especially when talking about issues of such importance to many people that are suffering from the said diseases.
    I find it refreshingly human, honest and vastly more authentic in the relaxed, conversation between peer format; do I think Shane got a little too tipsy? maybe, but nothing I don't do from time to time on my own...
    Last edited by TargeT; 15th January 2015 at 23:39.
    Where are you?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

fractal being (15th January 2015), NancyV (16th January 2015)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

I do like the possible public display of quasi-trans-humanist scientific achievements... of course with layered motives.
    Now we talk. The reason that it gets an hour on HBO (which by he way has a high rate of revealing sci-fi series) is because it serves an agenda. It starts with the introduction of gene that eliminates cancer, then we move on to a gene that eliminates obesity, then something that gives you perfect teeth, blue eyes, super strength... you get my drift.

I find it refreshingly human, honest and vastly more authentic in the relaxed, conversation between peer format; do I think Shane got a little too tipsy? maybe, but nothing I don't do from time to time on my own...
    We can agree to to disagree on that. Definitely not my cup of tea and I've had my fair share of drunken talks.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to fractal being For This Post:

TargeT (16th January 2015)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

I do like the possible public display of quasi-trans-humanist scientific achievements... of course with layered motives.
    Now we talk. The reason that it gets an hour on HBO (which by he way has a high rate of revealing sci-fi series) is because it serves an agenda. It starts with the introduction of gene that eliminates cancer, then we move on to a gene that eliminates obesity, then something that gives you perfect teeth, blue eyes, super strength... you get my drift.
    Oh yes, there is no such thing as coincidence; ESPECIALLY on "TV"... the methods of control being developed are a tad concerning... but knowledge is power so the more I learn the better equipped (I feel).

We can agree to to disagree on that. Definitely not my cup of tea and I've had my fair share of drunken talks.
    yes, he did have a bit too much, we aren't disagreeing there (though that in itself fits nicely in a "human behavior" & didn't seem planned/false, very authentic).. but no logical fallacy from me, I liked the message, not the messenger.
    Where are you?

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

fractal being (16th January 2015), NancyV (16th January 2015)

15. Link to Post #8
    Great Britain Avalon Member Baby Steps's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,727 times in 1,526 posts

For me it didn't start at the 1:50:00 mark.

On the subject it is clear that the guy doesn't have a clue what he's talking about and tbh it's quite annoying the way he talks about it since it can freak out some people. The therapeutic potential of modified Viruses (so called viral vectors) has been researched since mid 80's. However to date none of the viruses they mention has been approved for clinical use in humans except from AAV (neither a measles or HIV virus) which was approved quite recently. I don't know whether we created them million of years ago, because I can't see them surviving the Ice ages without a host. However I find more intriguing the suggestion that they might actually come from outer sources and thus they might have created us .
    Won't be long...

Amgen Submits Marketing Authorization Application For Talimogene Laherparepvec To The European Medicines Agency
    First Marketing Authorization Application for an Oncolytic Immunotherapy in the European Union
    THOUSAND OAKS, Calif., Sept. 2, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Amgen (NASDAQ:AMGN) today announced the submission of a Marketing Authorization Application (MAA) to the European Medicines Agency (EMA) via the centralized procedure for talimogene laherparepvec seeking approval for the treatment of adults with melanoma that is regionally or distantly metastatic. Talimogene laherparepvec is an investigational oncolytic immunotherapy administered as an intralesional injection that is designed to initiate a systemic anti-tumor immune response. If approved, talimogene laherparepvec will represent the first in a class of novel agents known as oncolytic immunotherapies.

The MAA for talimogene laherparepvec contains data from more than 400 patients and is based on a global, randomized, open-label Phase 3 trial evaluating the safety and efficacy of talimogene laherparepvec in patients with stage IIIB, IIIC or IV melanoma when resection was not recommended compared to granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor (GM-CSF).

"The submission of the Marketing Authorization Application in Europe for talimogene laherparepvec brings us a step closer to helping address an unmet medical need for patients with metastatic melanoma," said Sean E. Harper, M.D., executive vice president of Research and Development at Amgen. "This regulatory milestone, on the heels of our Biologics License Application submission to the U.S. FDA, represents an important step for our pipeline and we look forward to working with the European Medicines Agency as it conducts its review of talimogene laherparepvec."

Melanoma is a type of skin cancer that is characterized by the uncontrolled growth of melanocytes, which are the cells responsible for providing the pigment to skin.1 Melanoma is the most aggressive and serious form of skin cancer. Currently, 132,000 melanoma cases occur globally each year.2 The number of people with melanoma is expected to rise considerably worldwide, with more than 279,000 projected new cases by the year 2020.3 Outcomes are substantially worse for people with regional and distantly metastatic disease, with high risk of recurrence for Stage IIIB, IIIC, and IV melanoma.4

Melanoma is considered to be advanced when it has spread, or metastasized, from the origin site to deeper parts of the skin or other organs such as the lymph nodes, lungs or other parts of the body distant from the primary tumor site.5

About Talimogene Laherparepvec
    Talimogene laherparepvec is an investigational oncolytic immunotherapy designed to selectively replicate in tumors (but not normal tissue) and to initiate an immune response to target cancer cells that have metastasized. Talimogene laherparepvec was designed to work in two important and complementary ways. First, it is injected directly into tumors where it replicates inside the tumor's cells causing the cell to rupture and die in a process called lysis. The rupture of the cancer cells can release tumor-derived antigens, along with GM-CSF, that can stimulate a system-wide immune response where white blood cells are able to seek out and target cancer that has spread throughout the body.

About Amgen
    Amgen is committed to unlocking the potential of biology for patients suffering from serious illnesses by discovering, developing, manufacturing and delivering innovative human therapeutics. This approach begins by using tools like advanced human genetics to unravel the complexities of disease and understand the fundamentals of human biology.

Amgen focuses on areas of high unmet medical need and leverages its biologics manufacturing expertise to strive for solutions that improve health outcomes and dramatically improve people's lives. A biotechnology pioneer since 1980, Amgen has grown to be the world's largest independent biotechnology company, has reached millions of patients around the world and is developing a pipeline of medicines with breakaway potential.

For more information, visit www.amgen.com and follow us on www.twitter.com/amgen.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Baby Steps For This Post:

JRS (16th January 2015), NancyV (16th January 2015), TargeT (17th January 2015)

+ Reply to Thread