+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Structure vs Function, i.e. Genetics/Brain vs Consciousness

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 88,729 times in 14,709 posts

Default Structure vs Function, i.e. Genetics/Brain vs Consciousness

Function: n.1. the kind of action or activity proper to a person, thing, or institution; the purpose for which something is designed or exists; role; raison d'être.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is consciousness an illusion?

Jan26, 2015 by Jon Rappoport
    http://www.nomorefakenews.com

Quote “Cutting through disinformation about consciousness is vital, because neuroscience is moving toward a mind-controlled society, based on the idea that individual awareness is an illusion, and stimulus-response is the key to shaping a new Collective of synchronized ‘happy’ brains.” (The Underground, Jon Rappoport)
    A brief historical note: Roughly a century ago, as scientists and philosophers were attacking organized religion, they assumed that science would come to “rule” all knowledge, for the benefit of humanity.

Today, their descendants still believe in the simplistic dichotomy between religion and science:

If science fails to answer a metaphysical question, just wait a while and it will; otherwise, we will be thrown back into the opiate soup of religion, and that must never happen.

This is nonsense.

This either-or approach is fictitious garbage. Religion or science, as the only two choices, is a fraud.

So…here is one of those metaphysical questions:

What is consciousness?

Science has done nothing to explain it. It has tap-danced and speculated and made assurances, but explain it? No.

But here, a famous biologist faces the question head-on:

Quote “How it is that anything so remarkable as a state of consciousness comes about as a result of irritating nervous tissue, is just as unaccountable as the appearance of Djin when Aladdin rubbed his lamp.” (Thomas Henry Huxley)
    And here a modern philosopher retreats to the conventional position based on zero evidence:

Quote “Above all, consciousness is a biological phenomenon. We should think of consciousness as part of our ordinary biological history, along with digestion, growth, mitosis and meiosis…Conscious states are caused by lower level neurobiological processes in the brain and are themselves higher level features of the brain.” (John R Searle, professor of philosophy, University of California at Berkeley)
    Lower biological processes somehow “give rise” to “higher biological processes,” thus producing consciousness.

This is about as convincing as using your birthdate to buy a lottery ticket.

Quote “Well, you see, we’ve learned a great deal about lower biological functions, so as we learn more about the higher functions, we’ll discover what consciousness is.”
    Really? If this is logic, an ant is a spaceship.

Consciousness, as Huxley was implying, is a different KIND of reality; it isn’t merely atoms bumping into each other or forming structures.

For example, consciousness is you knowing you’re reading this page right now. It isn’t molecules spitting out a message that “you’re reading this page.”

Consciousness is you knowing you’re alive. It isn’t the brain somehow producing the words “you’re alive.”

Consciousness isn’t an illusion. The illusion is supposing the brain knows anything.

Physicists will readily admit that atoms and sub-atomic particles do not know anything. And since the brain is made up of those particles, there is no reason to assume the brain has the capability of knowing. It’s a system of systems that operates in wide-ranging ways.

Knowing you’re reading this page isn’t a brain- message you receive. It’s different. It’s not reducible. It’s not something you can break into small pieces.

You know you’re alive.

That consciousness, that awareness, that “act” of knowing is not physical. It’s non-physical. It’s not made up of particles. It’s beyond them.

It’s independent.

Consciousness isn’t a subject for study in a philosophy department or a physics or biology or chemistry department. It doesn’t fit into any category.

Is consciousness an illusion? No. The illusion is pretending it’s “the brain.” The illusion is the selling of a future in which all existence will be controlled by science. The illusion is “a better civilization” in which all brains are “harmonized.”

If consciousness is an illusion, then freedom is, too. If consciousness is just the atoms of the brain marching around and delivering pre-determined impulses, then freedom is a hoax.

And, under the surface, this is what neuroscience proposes. “Yes, humans believe in a quaint notion of freedom, but we know that’s ludicrous. There is no such thing. It’s merely particles in motion…”

While I’m at it, taking the particles-in-motion depiction of life as a first principle…then there is no you, either. There is no you, there is no me, there is no anyone. There is no individual, there is no group. All that is illusion as well.

This is the inescapable conclusion of physics taken to its widest application.

It’s also the justification for manipulating the brain in any fashion: since “no one is home,” what difference does it make? Nullify a synapse here, rewire a connection there, dose this area with a drug, stimulate those neurons with electromagnetic impulses…and bring about more agreeable obedience.

There are many educated people who refuse to understand that both organized religion and bottomless faith in science lead to tyranny. They lack the imagination and curiosity to explore other alternatives.

Therefore, their ignorance is stunning.

Jon Rappoport

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is something to ponder on for the staunch supporters of "It's all genetics and it's all in your DNA!": Why "miracles"?

Or, how come a beam of electromagnetic energy can switch a frog's egg into a salamander's one?

Quote Posted by Hervé (here)
    Quote So they successfully transformed, for example, frog embryos to salamander embryos simply by transmitting the DNA information patterns!
    Quote The Russian scientists irradiated DNA samples with laser light. On screen a typical wave pattern was formed. When they removed the DNA sample, the wave pattern did not disappear, it remained. Many control experiments showed that the pattern still came from the removed sample, whose energy field apparently remained by itself.
    Interesting that these researchers demonstrate a logical disconnection to the reality they observed/reconstructed... and fail to recognize that it is a "field" which builts the DNA with its particular information rather than the reverse.

Remove the DNA but pin the field and the interference manifestations remain identical... the information is stored/produced in/with that field. This ultimately demonstrates that DNA has nothing to do with anything but building a biological body according to a blue-print contained in the "field"... imagine how screwed up the DNA of someone speaking fluently many languages should be according to the introduction above....

I guess that, that field is also known as "mind," Inelia's "body intelligence" or David Wilcock "mind field" that yogi can manipulate at will.

Good starting point anyway.
    Last edited by Hervé; 27th January 2015 at 15:25.
    "La réalité est un rêve que l'on fait atterrir" San Antonio AKA F. Dard

Troll-hood motto: Never, ever, however, whatsoever, to anyone, a point concede.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (27th January 2015), Aragorn (27th January 2015), Blacklight43 (27th January 2015), earthdreamer (28th January 2015), rgray222 (27th January 2015), selinam (28th January 2015), Sophocles (27th January 2015), voices of silence (28th January 2015), william r sanford72 (27th January 2015)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member rgray222's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,126 times in 928 posts

Default Re: Structure vs Function, i.e. Genetics/Brain vs Consciousness

Quote Consciousness isn’t a subject for study in a philosophy department or a physics or biology or chemistry department. It doesn't fit into any category.
    Is consciousness an illusion? No. The illusion is pretending it’s “the brain.” The illusion is the selling of a future in which all existence will be controlled by science. The illusion is “a better civilization” in which all brains are “harmonized.”
    Our ancient ancestors understood much more about life before science ever arrived on the scene. They knew that life went far beyond the boundaries of earth. They knew that each human had a soul or consciousness. They also believed that the soul did not die with the death of our human form. This is evidenced in their belief in reincarnation, burial practices, traditions and ceremonies.

Modern science has its place but it can only take humanity so far. There is a point when believing in only science or provable theory holds mankind back. There are certain things in our DNA that we knew at birth. There has been a effort to teach us from birth that the soul and consciousness do not exist because they cannot be proven by science.

When you understand that life has consciousness it solves many of the biggest mysteries that science has been grappling with for hundreds of years.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rgray222 For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (27th January 2015), Hervé (27th January 2015)

5. Link to Post #3
    Belgium Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,332 times in 554 posts

Quote Posted by rgray222 (here)
    Quote Consciousness isn’t a subject for study in a philosophy department or a physics or biology or chemistry department. It doesn't fit into any category.
    Our ancient ancestors understood much more about life before science ever arrived on the scene. They knew that life went far beyond the boundaries of earth. They knew that each human had a soul or consciousness. They also believed that the soul did not die with the death of our human form. This is evidenced in their belief in reincarnation, burial practices, traditions and ceremonies.

Modern science has its place but it can only take humanity so far. There is a point when believing in only science or provable theory holds mankind back. There are certain things in our DNA that we knew at birth. There has been a effort to teach us from birth that the soul and consciousness do not exist because they cannot be proven by science.

When you understand that life has consciousness it solves many of the biggest mysteries that science has been grappling with for hundreds of years.
    Well, I can see why certain people think that consciousness would be a biological phenomenon. In part, that may be true, actually -- but only in part.

See, the body is made up of billions of individual cells, which each have their very limited consciousness. These cells are then organized in larger structures, e.g. the organs. Each organ has its own consciousness, which is greater than the sum of its constituents. For the human body as a whole, that too applies. We see the same thing in other areas of life as well, e.g. technology.

On the other hand, consciousness has many forms, and even electrons and the atoms and molecules making up for what is considered "dead matter" are conscious. Because everything is conscious. Everything is in a constant flux from one state to another. Or, if you will, perhaps it is the consciousness itself which is in constant flux and perpetually jumps from one coordinate of spacetime to another coordinate of spacetime, whereas the coordinates themselves are static points -- I saw a man say something like this in a video here on Avalon yesterday, but I forgot to take note of the thread title.

However, I do wish to also say that I myself consider there to be a difference between consciousness on the one hand and soul/spirit on the other hand. Consciousness is the cognitive part of being, without which nothing could exist. Consciousness is, indeed, life itself; it is the very existence of everything -- "all that is, and all that is not". Soul/spirit is the qualifying part of being, without which life (i.e. consciousness) would not have meaning. The soul/spirit has properties, likes and dislikes, and these are what put the information gathered by consciousness into perspective. Consciousness asks "What is that?" and Soul/Spirit asks "What does it mean (to me)?" Soul/Spirit is the Experience, whereas Consciousness (in its purest form) is the Librarian of Knowledge. Or put in computer terms: Consciousness is the data stream, Soul/Spirit is the operating system, and the Body is the computer hardware.

In the end, the body -- which has its own highly convoluted and layered structure of tiny little consciousnesses, all the way from the atoms and molecules over the cells and the organs up to the holistic functioning of the entire body -- is a vessel, just like we can park our bodies inside an automobile and use that as a vessel for a different kind of mobility. The body is thus a biological machine, and it needs a controller. This controller is the soul/spirit, with its own, higher consciousness, capable of abstraction and self-reflection.

6. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

Stealing the following from Wade's thread (to get back on topic):

Quote Posted by Wade Frazier (here)
    Hi:

The nature/nurture debate is very old, and anybody who has studied the issue much knows that it is both. And "nature," in my book, includes the trans-physical aspect of biological beings, which is often called the soul. The materialistic perspective denies that trans-physical realities exist, and argues that the sum total of any biological being is contained in its physical expression: atoms, organs, and organism that we can see. I had it very dramatically demonstrated to me that materialism is built on false assumptions. Pretty much all of my fellow travelers in the FE field had similar experiences, and pretty much all of us were trained to be scientists, and a fair number became world-class in their discipline. They also all came to Godzilla's attention, and were subject to varying levels of his "attention," including having their lives prematurely ended. It comes with the territory, and I am doing what I can so that I do not join their ranks anytime soon, nor will anybody that I recruit into the choir.

If being cut off from the conscious love that permeates the higher dimensions was somehow part of a creator's plan, or my soul's, I suppose that they have their reasons, although it does not make it any more fun down here to realize it. Whatever the case may be, everybody that I respect thinks that love is the best of all possible feelings, and they tend to see all life on Earth as one, although we all get in-group conditioning from our cradles. Masters come now and then, and remind us that there is no out-group, but that message has generally been ignored by a humanity that lives in scarcity and fear. When people are under the stress of impoverishment and fear (which is always rooted in physical security, and includes the fear of going hungry or homeless), it is certainly not easy to take that holistic view of life on Earth, as each tries to survive in a world of scarcity.

[...]

.... One lesson that my evolutionary studies taught me is that nurture becomes nature, and we become what we do. A scientist will say it is because selective breeding for fitness has changed the genome to support a different kind of organism. That is a fine way of saying it, but when people are no longer raised in scarcity and fear, changes will come that can be hard to fathom today, and it will eventually be reflected in the genetics, but genetics will not tell the entire story, either.

Time for chores.

Best,

Wade

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

rgray222 (28th January 2015)

8. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

AI and genetic cures of disease: where’s the evidence?

by Jon Rappoport Apr 24, 2019
    “Isn’t it wonderful? Disease is genetic, and we can alter gene function. We’re winning…”
    Much trumpeting of genetic cures is on the propaganda agenda these days—but where is the evidence?

In order to rank as a cure, manipulation of DNA would have to heal a well-defined disease across the board, in a vast majority of cases. No such victories are occurring at present.

But in order to raise huge money for continuing research, you don’t say, “Well, we hope the minor triumphs so far will expand in the future, so please write us a check for five hundred million dollars.” Instead, you tell lies, you exaggerate, you avoid stark facts.

Reliable DNA cures are, right now, far beyond the reach of modern research. This means claiming the basic CAUSE of a given disease is gene-based is highly questionable, because the proof is in the pudding. If you can’t produce a real cure across the board, utilizing the purported DNA-cause, you can’t really claim you know the cause. Get it?
    “Well, we know what’s causing Disease X, it’s a particular gene, which we’ve isolated, but, ahem, we can’t cure Disease X.”
    No. That doesn’t fly.

Then we have the so-called AI component. It goes this way;
    “In order to achieve genetic cures, we need to do an enormous amount of DNA sorting, which would take humans years and years. But with computers, we can accomplish the work in manageable time. This in itself is a miracle of modern science…”
    Yes, it might be, if, again, cures were really available, but they’re not. Therefore, the invocation of AI is a piece of misdirection.

All the propaganda focusing on genes rests on the pop-science notion, first floated decades ago, that the functioning of the human body is directed by genetic information, which contains complex commands. This, too, is an unproven assertion—particularly the related idea that every disease is created by a single gene. That assumption hasn’t panned out.

In this regard, the holy grail would consist of the ability to cure a grave disease which is obviously clustering in a given population because of environmental toxins. “You see, it doesn’t matter how much pollution our corporations cause. We can go in and change genetic programming, so humans are invulnerable to the poisons.”

That is yet one more unproven assertion. It should be classified as a fairy tale until further notice.

I’m not saying absolutely NOTHING useful has been learned from doing genetic research. I’m saying what has been learned has been massaged, exaggerated, and lied about, to a vast degree.

I’ve described, above, the basic lies. We’re talking about pop culture notions and comic book characterizations being put in place, replacing sober truth.

Jon Rappoport

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

avid (25th April 2019), Constance (25th April 2019), latte (25th April 2019), Paul (25th April 2019), Valerie Villars (25th April 2019), what is a name? (25th April 2019)

+ Reply to Thread