+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Magna Carta The Basis of US /UK & commonwealth law 800 annivt relevance & threat to it...

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 79,637 times in 18,693 posts

Default Magna Carta The Basis of US /UK & commonwealth law 800 annivt relevance & threat to it...

I did not expect to post this and watched it as I'm a history buff and wanted a break
    from current news. As I watched it became more relevant to the events of today
    culminating to another threat to liberty , blamed on the war on terror , but
    undermind by King sorry president Bush and Obama. It will become clear when
    they start talking about America aprox 40 mins in and how knowing what we know
    from forums like this how close we are to losing our freedoms to our leaders rather
    than disparate groups from around the world.....

I don't think David Starkey would agree we us on Avalon but he did a good job
    of pointing out the threat from the establishment whether by design or not.
    I knew the basics of Magna Carta but this doc shows both levels its history and
    the threats to the right of the common man/women that are being eroded frequently.

David Starkey's Magna Carta BBC Documentary 2015

Published on 26 Jan 2015

Magna Carta

We take our liberties for granted. They seem absolute and untouchable. But they are
    the result of a series of violent struggles fought over 800 years that, at times, have
    threatened to tear our society apart. On the frontline was a document originally inked
    on animal skin - Magna Carta.

Distinguished constitutional historian David Starkey looks at the origins of the Great
    Charter, created in 1215 to check the abuses of King John - and how it nearly died at
    birth. He explores its subsequent deployment, its contribution to making everyone -
    even the monarch - subject to the rule of law, and how this quintessentially English
    document migrated to the North American colonies and eventually became the
    foundation of the US constitution.

Magna Carta has become a universal symbol of individual freedom against the
    tyranny of the state, but with ever-tightening government control on our lives, is it
    time to resurrect it?

Starkey has a special encounter with an original Magna Carta manuscript at the British
    Library, one of only four from 1215 to survive. He also examines other unique medieval
    manuscripts that trace the tumultuous history of Magna Carta, the Article of the Barons
    listing their demands in June 1215, and the papal bull declaring Magna Carta null and
    void less than two months after it was sealed.

====================================================
    ====================================================

John F Kennedy Memorial, Runnymede, England. Designed by Geoffrey Jellicoe.

Uploaded on 17 Sep 2009

One of the 20th-century's greatest landscape architects, Sir Geoffrey Jellicoe,
    explains how he designed the JFK Memorial at Runnymede, near Windsor in
    England. Visit for yourself and see if your subconscious is stirred (perhaps by
    comparing it to the other Runnymede memorials)! It is open daily.
    Last edited by Billy; 29th January 2015 at 19:46. Reason: Fix title to 800

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

Becky (28th January 2015), Billy (29th January 2015), Deega (29th January 2015), Ecnal61 (28th January 2015), Gardener (29th January 2015), Matt P (28th January 2015), meat suit (31st January 2015), Nasu (28th January 2015), Realeyes (29th January 2015), Sunny-side-up (29th January 2015)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,150 times in 3,856 posts

Default Magna Carta The Basis of US /UK & commonwealth law 800 annivt relevance & threat to it...

I had a friend once who would listen to whatever I complained about. Then when I was finished, she'd say "Now say something positive to counteract everything you said."

I think of her advice every time I read about how we've just lost another right to the illegal govt. I'm not willing to give up ANY of my rights to them. And I haven't. They're the ones who are openly showing their corruption and treason (with impunity). They WILL answer to me and the rest of We, the People for their crimes.

Watch what happens when they go to trial, how quickly they'll scream for their Constitutional rights which they have tried to deny Americans.... They will lose to truth and justice....
    THERE! I've countered them!

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Maia Gabrial For This Post:

Cidersomerset (28th January 2015), Inaiá (29th January 2015), Matt P (28th January 2015), Nasu (28th January 2015), Realeyes (29th January 2015), Sunny-side-up (29th January 2015)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

The Magna Carta, father of the U.S. Constitution and Declaration of Independence

Uploaded on 14 Oct 2011

Story about the sale of the only copy of the Magna Carta that exists
    in the United States. Formerly owned by Ross Perot, David Rubenstein
    won the 2007 Sothebys auction, and donated the item to the
    National Archives.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

johnh (29th January 2015), Matt P (28th January 2015), Nasu (28th January 2015), Realeyes (29th January 2015), Sunny-side-up (29th January 2015)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,024 times in 1,086 posts

Shame is, all this time later, unlike the US constitution, there are no provisions for the little man to be heard. Aside form the so called freedom of the press in England, dominated by a few well healed insiders, the only place you are truly free to express yourself without too much fear of governmental retribution or harisment is speakers corner, a small corner of Hyde Park in London.. IMHO, the so called cradle of modern civilisation seems to slowly becoming a police state, where everything is closely monitored, directed or controlled... Poor old Blighty... N

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nasu For This Post:

Cidersomerset (29th January 2015), Realeyes (29th January 2015)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

Default Re: Magna Carta The Basis of US /UK & commonwealth law 800 annivt relevance & threat to it...

The irony of these corporate Barons who partly run the world is still going on, as
    the 800th of the anniversary of the signing of the Magna Carta .

Magna Carta celebrations begin on River Thames

4 hours ago

A replica of Magna Carta is being transported down the river

A replica of Magna Carta is being carried down the Thames as part of events to
    mark its 800th anniversary.The Royal Barge Gloriana is leading 200 boats from
    Hurley in Berkshire to Runnymede in Surrey over two days.Magna Carta was
    granted by King John on 15 June 1215, establishing that the king was subject to
    the law rather than being above it.

Twenty-three local people have been chosen as "charter bearers" to relay the document.

Painting of King John

Magna Carta was first agreed by King John on 15 June 1215

Charter bearers are carrying the document on board the Royal Shallop Jubilant during the event

The pageant, which started at 09:00 BST, has been organised by Thames Alive, with support
    from Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead, Runnymede borough and Spelthorne borough councils.

As the copy of Magna Carta is transported downstream, actors will recount its story.

Charter bearers, who live, work or study in one of the three boroughs, will carry the document
    on board the Royal Shallop Jubilant.

The Queen's Diamond Jubilee barge, Gloriana, is the flagship of the pageant

Magna Carta memorial at Runnymede

Magna Carta was sealed at Runnymede but the exact spot is not known

The Queen's Diamond Jubilee barge, Gloriana, is the flagship of the flotilla.

Five-time Olympic gold medallist rower Sir Steve Redgrave, from Marlow,
    Buckinghamshire, watched as it passed through his home town.

"It's the first row barge that has been built for 300 years so it's pretty spectacular,"
    he said.The event will culminate with the unveiling of a 4m (13ft) bronze statue of
    the Queen at Runnymede Pleasure Grounds on Sunday. Road closures will be in
    place during the celebrations in Berkshire and Surrey.The flotilla is due to arrive at
    Oakley Court Hotel, Windsor, at 20:00. The replica Magna Carta's journey will
    pause overnight before commencing at 09:00 on Sunday.

The flotilla at Boulder's Lock

The flotilla passed through Boulter's Lock near Maidenhead

Principles set out in Magna Carta charted the right to a fair trial and limits on taxation
    without representation.It also inspired a number of other documents, including the US
    Constitution and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

Boats involved in the pageant

About 200 boats are being paddled or rowed along the river as part of the celebrations

The Queen's barge was blessed during the pageant at Cookham

url]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-33116579[/url]

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

conk (19th June 2015)

+ Reply to Thread