+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Culture is a Cult! Etymology of Culture/ Society: Cult- Ur

1. Link to Post #1
    Nicaragua Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Default Culture is a Cult! Etymology of Culture/ Society: Cult- Ur

"Published on Jan 28, 2015

The term "cult" and how it stems from "culture" in relation to society.

first: we will uncover the etymology of culture and cult, then the context and concept of culture.

second: we will uncover ancient roots of culture and the first civilizations.

then we will have the proper background to be able to take what we've learned and connect the dots to see how they all co-relate to our current social culture.

Context:

Many ASSume that i have i no idea what im talking about when it comes to etymology, and in this case, my etymology of culture, when the truth is that most just havent gone to the particular level of depth and breadth in various areas to grasp the full scope of what i'm talking about and WHY.

This video is to provide the background and understanding to allow you to see what im talking about. "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVXfdqaqFk8

2. Link to Post #2
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,466 times in 8,541 posts

Default Re: Culture is a Cult! Etymology of Culture/ Society: Cult- Ur

"The only difference between cult and culture, is scale." -- Ken Carey
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Muzz (31st January 2015)

4. Link to Post #3
    Belgium Avalon Member
    Language
    Dutch, French
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,362 times in 762 posts

Sure.

Another famous inheritance from Ur is Nature. (Fortunately English was the language spoken by Adam and Eve, so it is easy to uncover the etymology.) In Ur the dominant animals were gnats, as there was a lot of water (what-Ur) in Ur. So it was only gnat-Ur-al for the Urians to call nature gnat-Ur.

Because of the what-Ur there were obviously also lots of rats in Ur. Now today we buy litter for cats but the Urians used to do so for rats, and were famous for their singing while they shoveled the litter to their beloved pets. A whole collection of these rat litter songs of Ur has been preserved, and as the Urians' writing system is well known to have been from right to left, they are at the source of our litter-rat-Ur-e.

You may ask: how can you be so sure? Well, there used to be a lot of asses in Ur, and they somehow survived until today. S-Ur-ely I am one of them.
    Last edited by Michel Leclerc; 29th January 2015 at 23:56.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michel Leclerc For This Post:

DeDukshyn (30th January 2015), Ioneo (30th January 2015)

6. Link to Post #4
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Michel Leclerc (here)
    Sure.

Another famous inheritance from Ur is Nature. (Fortunately English was the language spoken by Adam and Eve, so it is easy to uncover the etymology.) In Ur the dominant animals were gnats, as there was a lot of water (what-Ur) in Ur. So it was only gnat-Ur-al for the Urians to call nature gnat-Ur.

Because of the what-Ur there were obviously also lots of rats in Ur. Now today we buy litter for cats but the Urians used to do so for rats, and were famous for their singing while they shoveled the litter to their beloved pets. A whole collection of these rat litter songs of Ur has been preserved, and as the Urians' writing system is well known to have been from right to left, they are at the source of our litter-rat-Ur-e.

You may ask: how can you be so sure? Well, there used to be a lot of asses in Ur, and they somehow survived until today. S-Ur-ely I am one of them.
    No, you are just a regular ass.

I didn't watch the video, (who knows it may be nonsense), but I can very clearly see the relationship between cult and culture. The fact that the root for culture is cult, is indicative right there without even getting into philosophical or conceptual analysis.

This video gives a little insight into the broad perspective of mostly "government" but our culture is certainly shaped by those who seek to control ...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

sandy (30th January 2015)

8. Link to Post #5
    Belgium Avalon Member
    Language
    Dutch, French
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,362 times in 762 posts

Dear Dedukshyn, did you know that the root of your name is Mussolini, the Duce? I am glad, and s-Ur-e, that you can appreciate my type of humour (humo-Ur).

Forgive me, but I am a professional linguist.

Culture does not come from cult, nor the other way round, and the fact that it is "indicative right there" as you so mysteriously say, is the worst possible argument for such etymology: so many words look alike but have nothing to do with each other. Men do not get impotent by not eating potatoes, mind you; it is the eating them that does the job.

No. "Culture" and "cult" both come from the Latin verb "col-ere" that meant/means "till; farm; cultivate; worship". The Latin word itself comes from an Indo-European root which can roughly be represented by "kwel", that meant "turn, move around", and yielded among other words the English "wheel".

The relationship is hence between farming the land and worshiping the gods who guarantee harvest and produce. "Primitive" peoples still sing while they work the land, and these songs may occasionally be religious or magical. Also agriculturalists tend to till the land by turning (their tractor, their ox, themselves) and religious rituals are often circular.

Philosophical and conceptual analysis should always examine the words it uses to do so, but it is best to put such an examination on scientifically solid ground instead of uninformed phantasy.

Deuce?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Michel Leclerc For This Post:

DeDukshyn (31st January 2015)

10. Link to Post #6
    Language
    English
    Thanks

You post had a huge contradiction and didn't make sense.

I never said "culture comes from cult". I said that cult is the root of culture , just like "Cult" is the root of "cultivate" - all words coming from "cultus" or possibly "colore", as you mentioned, they do have somewhat different meanings actually; cultus, being much closer to modern forms of both cult and culture means 1.civilization, refinement 2.cultivation (land) 3.habitation 4.polish, elegance. All of which apply in meaning to both Cult and Culture. We tend to define "cult" as some evil religion, but from the view inside the "cult" that definition certainly applies.

I Ass-Ur you, what I state is not fantasy I do sometimes state things "loosely", but that is far from "fantasy".

But thanks for the "schooling" And if you can't tell, I totally got your Hum-Ur
    Last edited by DeDukshyn; 31st January 2015 at 02:59.

11. Link to Post #7
    Palestinian Territory Avalon Member thunder24's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,159 times in 1,845 posts

see who you are, and feel how you are manipulated, when u figure it out, look again, when you figure it out . LOOK again, ad infinitum..... influence IS!
    Last edited by thunder24; 31st January 2015 at 04:09.
    OBADIAH 1:21
    The Good things in life

"...where ever you go, there you are..."

12. The Following User Says Thank You to thunder24 For This Post:

noprophet (31st January 2015)

13. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,358 times in 436 posts

cultivation of the soil, cultivation of the mind...
    our mind can be fertile soil to be tilled by...who? what?

"cultus" Latin. Worship
    or should that be wurship?

14. Link to Post #9
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 times in 676 posts

I actually really enjoy these word games...

Like Circe and El is how you make a circ-el.
    Or the Ovum of Aries are the ovaries. (note the horns)
    Probably the raM of Mar(s).
    Maybe not the horns of a Torus.
    All that noiZ about Zion,
    Keeps the Whirled moving.
    If not you can always invoke shekinah with some shock and awe.
    Create some Waves in the Watter, maybe sum Watts in the Matter.

lol, never mind that though, it's all spells and glamour anyway. After all, the spelling and grammar is all wrong. Can't brake the all rite.

I recommend digging through the comments on this video:

Some people actually get into trouble over their rabbit holes.

Quote GrownupsHaveChildren3 years ago

@summercures2 We have been taught not to think. That's why "lesson" means LESSen. To see coincidence rather than connection. Everywhere we look, we are being told the real story. Abandon every preconceived notion, and start from scratch. U can't pour tea into a full cup. It must be empty. "Court" IS a game. Prophets Profit from PARISHioners. Wait is a weight. The earth is a thea(te)r. An account is an account (story). An occupation (job) is an occupation (conquer) of your life.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to noprophet For This Post:

thunder24 (31st January 2015)

+ Reply to Thread