+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Feminist ‘Music’ is the Funniest Thing Ever!

1. Link to Post #21
    Thanks

Default Re: Feminist ‘Music’ is the Funniest Thing Ever!

This is really not very complicated, in my opinion. A group of women screaming and yawping is AWESOME. A bunch of women bludgeoning and mutilating a plastic babydoll is AWESOME.

I love to hear women scream, be loud, be heard, and be expressive. It's GREAT. They're just demonstrating what they feel and believe through art.

And sorry, but I don't even find this performance provocative at all. It's relatively tame, compared to the REALLY crazy, conceptual stuff out there. Why is it so provocative to hear a bunch of ladies screaming and calling it a musical performance??? If that provokes or annoys or irritates or embarrasses you, then I think it's created a good opportunity for self-examination in its audience.

2. Link to Post #22
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks

OH PLEASE!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Desire For This Post:

Tesla_WTC_Solution (6th February 2015)

4. Link to Post #23
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,722 times in 4,284 posts

Quote Posted by soulsinger (here)
    This is really not very complicated, in my opinion. A group of women screaming and yawping is AWESOME. A bunch of women bludgeoning and mutilating a plastic babydoll is AWESOME.

I love to hear women scream, be loud, be heard, and be expressive. It's GREAT. They're just demonstrating what they feel and believe through art.

And sorry, but I don't even find this performance provocative at all. It's relatively tame, compared to the REALLY crazy, conceptual stuff out there. Why is it so provocative to hear a bunch of ladies screaming and calling it a musical performance??? If that provokes or annoys or irritates or embarrasses you, then I think it's created a good opportunity for self-examination in its audience.
    Whining about recycled old news is awesome.
    listening to 10 different men whine about it. more awesome.

knowing that there are 5 billion such people out there waiting to get online.
    is it awesome enough?

5. Link to Post #24
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Tesla_WTC_Solution (here)

Whining about recycled old news is awesome.
    listening to 10 different men whine about it. more awesome.

knowing that there are 5 billion such people out there waiting to get online.
    is it awesome enough?
    Well I'm not really into whining. I like screaming better!!

And yeah, there are a lot of people who don't yet have internet access, and some of them will have awesome things to contribute once they do. And some will just be Internet Jerks, I guess.

I just liked what the women were doing in the video. It seemed cool.

6. Link to Post #25
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Desire (here)
    OH PLEASE!
    Is this a response to my comment? Is it because I liked the women's performance? Is it because I didn't find it provocative at all?
    I think I might be missing your point. Can you please elaborate on your opinion?

7. Link to Post #26
    Thanks

Perhaps I'm being misunderstood, because I was captivated by the women in the video, and paid little attention to the male announcer who made all those sneering jokes. He seemed irrelevant to me. I just liked these women's performance art.

Also, I proudly call myself a feminist. Feminism is not about pitting the sexes against each other. It's about highlighting the humanity, basic rights, self-determination, and contributions of women... all of which are still routinely, unconsciously discounted in the public discourse.

8. Link to Post #27
    UK Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,694 times in 1,016 posts

I think (from what I have seen) "feminists" can vary...in some of their natures and values...the one's that most people seem to have a problem with (understandably) is when they tell you that something about you or your lifestyle is wrong and condemn you for it as if you are bad...like someone's sexuality, or what they wear, or seeming weak in ways that they think you should seem strong in, or gender roles, just all this hard judgement...so I can understand why they got a "bad name"...and why people can be triggered by it...

But I think that it is a shame, because there is a good cause in some of this, because some work still needs to be done in terms of how many women are treated (domestic abuse, or child marriages, for example).

I have a friend who is a feminist who hates sex, she is a caring girl and generally kind, but she can be very triggered and judgmental about sex (and a few other things) and I don't take it personally or judge her bad for it, cause I know that overall she is a "good person" and that there must be some deep pain in her to do with it...so with some feminists, they don't really understand or have empathy for particular things that are not what they would like for themselves or that may seem harmful but is not...this is not a personal thing...

I also know of a few women who call themselves feminists, who are more empathetic and less strict and respects a person's free will choice as long as there is no harm...

So, they vary, and I think/feel that I kinda understand both sides, a little...

And it can be a bit like vegans (I am one!), so much variation in personality traits and natures and values, some vegans can be really arrogant and pushy, and some are not...but vegans can have a bad name with people expecting the worst...veganism also has good causes, it's against animal cruelty, but some vegans can be cruel, unfair and disrespectful about it...but we are not all like that...
    Last edited by Natalia; 7th February 2015 at 06:42.

9. Link to Post #28
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks

OH PLEASE!
    Is this a response to my comment? Is it because I liked the women's performance? Is it because I didn't find it provocative at all?
    I think I might be missing your point. Can you please elaborate on your opinion?
    Hi soulsinger,
    Yes,I find this performance degrading to all feminists like me who have put in a lot of effort for equality to lable this feminist.
    I wonder how much these women have actually contributed.Anyway you are entitled to your opinion. love and light

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Desire For This Post:

Bill Ryan (9th February 2015)

11. Link to Post #29
    Thanks

OH PLEASE!
    Hi soulsinger,
    Yes,I find this performance degrading to all feminists like me who have put in a lot of effort for equality to lable this feminist.
    I wonder how much these women have actually contributed.Anyway you are entitled to your opinion. love and light
    I think it's important, as a feminist, to support the diversity of women's experiences and activities. I understand that some feminists do not want to be identified with certain images (such as more-masculine gender presentation, or hippie-type "earth mamas," or those who scream and call it music, or maybe those who bring anti-discrimination or harassment law suits, or whatever image they find unacceptable for themselves). But there is a whole world of feminists out here, as diverse as human beings are... and that diversity is going to create diversity of expression. A bunch of women screaming on stage might not be your choice of expression... but degrading to all feminists?

Why do women have to be so "nice" and "dignified" in order to be taken seriously?

I take issue with the disapproval of women for their honest expression of power or rage or whatever... by calling them "not real feminists" or "not contributing" or "just creating controversy to get attention." In my world... a bunch of ladies screaming on stage is barely anything at all. It's not surprising, even. (Many women have a lot to scream about!) And certainly not degrading.

Maybe I've just seen a lot of "shocking" things ;-)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2