+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 6 LastLast

Thread: Robots from Boston Dynamics (this should make us all very worried)

1. Link to Post #21
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks

Default Re: Robots from Boston Dynamics (this should make us all very worried)

Emerging sciences: as Snoweagle stated, autonomous swarm technology is a concern. However, someone probably has been working on a countermeasure for decades.

Wade Frazier has posted quite a bit about his 'scientist' mentor. When faced with the neutron bomb scenario (killing humans without destroying the infrastructure) Wade's friend wondered-could you destroy the infrastructure without killing the humans? His answer was to use a 'dust' bomb composed of nanoparticles that are magnetic and coated with tough, sharp grinding materials (carbide, diamonds?). When exploded, the dust coats anything metal or magnetic - think every mechanical (metal) or electrical (magnetic field) device - and grinds the mechanism to pieces and/or shorts out the electric components. This idea was considered by the military, with whom the scientist was connected, at least 40 years ago.

Deploying such a weapon to an autonomous swarm would cause the swarm members to literally "drop like flies".

Wade Frazier's outstanding 'Healed Planet' thread has lots of interesting information and is well worth reading!

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to JRS For This Post:

Atlas (25th February 2015), Bill Ryan (26th February 2015), Cidersomerset (25th February 2015), crosby (25th February 2015), gnostic9 (25th February 2015), kerrielea (25th February 2015), skyflower (1st March 2015), Snoweagle (26th February 2015), Sunny-side-up (25th February 2015)

3. Link to Post #22
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,150 times in 3,856 posts

Sorry, but we won't get peace if more and more weapons are developed. These won't be used as peacekeepers. They'll be used to frighten people into utter submission or these things will go after them.

Drones are already considered cowardly ways to fight. So will these.

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Maia Gabrial For This Post:

Alekahn2 (25th February 2015), Atlas (25th February 2015), Aurvandil (26th February 2015), Bill Ryan (26th February 2015), crosby (25th February 2015), DNA (26th February 2015), gnostic9 (25th February 2015), kerrielea (25th February 2015), Snoweagle (26th February 2015), Sunny-side-up (25th February 2015)

5. Link to Post #23
    Spain Avalon Member Michael Moewes's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,910 times in 372 posts

At least they don't stop at every interesting spot and mark their spots all the time.
    But it's deeply concerning to me. I still prefer my fleshy and bony dogs. all three of them.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Michael Moewes For This Post:

Alekahn2 (25th February 2015), Atlas (25th February 2015), Bill Ryan (26th February 2015), crosby (25th February 2015), gnostic9 (25th February 2015), kerrielea (25th February 2015), Ol' Roy (26th February 2015), Sunny-side-up (25th February 2015)

7. Link to Post #24
    United States Avalon Member kaon's Avatar
    Thanks

The agility of these robots is amazing. I am not seeing that many military applications with these. Too expensive and drones are much cheaper. However, governments habitually waste tax payer money so who knows.

I would like to see these robots with fur, heads, tails and maybe chasing a cat up a tree.
    Last edited by kaon; 25th February 2015 at 19:02.
    Ask not what Avalon can do for you, but what you can do for Avalon.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kaon For This Post:

Atlas (25th February 2015), Bill Ryan (26th February 2015), crosby (25th February 2015), kerrielea (25th February 2015), meat suit (25th February 2015), Snoweagle (26th February 2015), Sunny-side-up (25th February 2015)

9. Link to Post #25
    United States Avalon Member Alekahn2's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Hawkwind (here)
    One way or another, sooner or later we're all going to die. How we die is not nearly as important as how we choose to live. I, for one, refuse to spend one more second "worrying about" anything.
    No disputing that Hawkwind and I agree with you. Yet, I am thinking here of the next 7 generations, as a "futurist" so to speak. Last year, I met an obviously brilliant hacker who was recruited into the NSA (hello there!) from Microsoft and we got into a lengthy discussion about what the next phase of (illusory) 3D time could/would bring. With the children of the Earth in mind, I asked many pointed questions, some of which he had no response to. Almost as if he lacked any empathic quality or conscience. Or didn't want to address for whatever reason. Or couldn't.

What he DID say in a subsequent conversation was, if I was interested in researching the coming wave of tech and its potential implications, he said to carefully observe nanotechnology, ROBOTICS, and AI. This has been said for many years I am aware. In my research around DARPA/IARPA, I have been left feeling not fear, nor worry for myself, but definite concern. It is, as Snoweagle mentioned, that the "essence of the technology" is (occulted) hidden from us and will no doubt remain so.

What is the root INTENTION behind and underlying all of this "cutting edge" technology, these robotic dogs in this instance? Do any of these "imagineers" ever question who they are working for and how their brilliance is being diverted into the military-industrial complex? Or is it all about the excitement of innovation and discovery? Money, notoriety in their profession, advancement? For the betterment of the human family?? Do they ever experience existential, ethical despair around what they do for their livelihood? Unanswerable questions I realize.

These videos that Boston Dynamics/Google and DARPA (amongst several others) put out are mind blowing for me. IARPA is even more disturbing, yet off topic. And yet, I have intuited all along that what we are told and shown is but the tip of the proverbial technological iceberg. This palpable uneasiness I continually feel, this concern I voice, is for the overall direction and orientation of homo sapiens sapiens over the next critical phase of time, between now and 2025 (and beyond of course).

The war machine gallops, races onward, like SPOT. No fear. But, deep concern for the trajectory this species appears to be on.
    ~ "...burn for no reason, like a lamp in the daylight" ~

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Alekahn2 For This Post:

Atlas (25th February 2015), Bill Ryan (26th February 2015), crosby (25th February 2015), gnostic9 (25th February 2015), Hawkwind (25th February 2015), kerrielea (25th February 2015), Snoweagle (26th February 2015), Sunny-side-up (25th February 2015)

11. Link to Post #26
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,798 times in 2,657 posts

Quote Posted by Maia Gabrial (here)
    So what do you think the purpose of these "dogs" would be? Would they be used in dangerous situations?

Do you think this might be a forerunner to putting human souls into machines? I thought they were fascinatingly creepy...

At least, they can't bite...yet!
    Maia, I was thinking the same thing...... Thank goodness they do not have teeth!!!!!
    warmest,
    crosby

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to crosby For This Post:

Bill Ryan (26th February 2015), gnostic9 (25th February 2015), kerrielea (25th February 2015), Sunny-side-up (25th February 2015)

13. Link to Post #27
    UK Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,694 times in 1,016 posts

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    -------

I don't know whether this is funny or scary:
    lol (just the title and your comment was funny...but then I watched it, and...)...

omg *shock face* scare, scare

14. Link to Post #28
    Language
    German
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,067 times in 698 posts

These robodogs came into the public eye allready years ago they invented them to haul military equipment, its like with the drones first developed for military usage only then released to the public. I remember the first prototypes had a wire connected due to problems with power supply it seems they got rid of that.

If john doe got a drone at home connected to his ipad and his vakuumcleaner is a robot aswell ,the next step to a robodog that protects his house and recharges itself when needed is the next step isnt it, the public gets conditioned to accept robots in their life.

The goal is to have such a tight global survaliance net that every sentence that is spoken in a corner of a street will be stored and analysed in a supercomputer, we arent that far away from that.

check this video, what is wrong here

Last edited by seehas; 25th February 2015 at 19:30.
    " Loka samasta sukhino bhavantu / May all beings in all worlds be happy and free and may the thoughts, words and actions of my own life contribute in some way to that happiness and to that freedom for all "

tibetian mantra

15. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to seehas For This Post:

Atlas (25th February 2015), Aurvandil (26th February 2015), Bill Ryan (26th February 2015), chrysocolla (17th November 2017), Cidersomerset (25th February 2015), crosby (25th February 2015), Heart-2-Heart (26th February 2015), kerrielea (25th February 2015), sigma6 (26th February 2015), Sunny-side-up (25th February 2015)

16. Link to Post #29
    Language
    English
    Thanks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Laws_of_Robotics

Asimov added a fourth Law, the "Zeroth Law", stating that a robot must not harm humanity, or by inaction, allow humanity to come to harm...although, Asimov recognized the difficulty such a law would pose IN PRACTICE. Yep.

Trevize frowned. "How do you decide what is injurious, or not injurious, to humanity as a whole?"
    "Precisely, sir," said Daneel. "In theory, the Zeroth Law was the answer to our problems. In practice, we could never decide. A human being is a concrete object. Injury to a person can be estimated and judged. Humanity is an abstraction."

~Foundation and Earth

Click image for larger version

Name:	original_a1b84e.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	29087

From a short story by Nikola Kesarovski, "The Fifth Law of Robotics":

"A robot must know it is a robot".

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Alekahn2 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (26th February 2015), kerrielea (25th February 2015), sigma6 (26th February 2015), skyflower (1st March 2015), Snoweagle (26th February 2015), Sunny-side-up (25th February 2015)

18. Link to Post #30
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,305 times in 365 posts

I've posted this info before, but it seems worth repeating here. In 1987 I met someone at a train station in Japan. We were the only two people at the station and he seemed to want someone to share his excitement with. He claimed to have just been given a multi-million dollar contract by the Japanese government to continue his work on nanobots. I inquired into the specifics of his project and he told me that he was currently manufacturing bots that measured about 400 microns on each side, had arms, legs and about 1 meg of RAM each. So, assuming that he was being truthful and that the technology continued to be developed following Moore's law, then 24 years later that scale should be on the order of 2 to the 12th smaller, ie- 25 nanometers on each side. That's a programmable, self-replicating machine 1/4 the size of a virus. If programmed for benevolent purposes, all hunger and disease could be eliminated literally over night. One glitch in the programming, however, and the entire planet could be turned to dust just as quickly.

Either there exists a part of me which survives physical death or not. Either way it seems to me that the best use of my time is to live as fully as I can in the present moment- rather than being worried about imagined possible future scenarios. Aware of the possibilities, okay. Working together to avoid them, okay. Worried? No thanks.

19. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Hawkwind For This Post:

Alekahn2 (25th February 2015), Bill Ryan (26th February 2015), East Sun (26th February 2015), Ellisa (26th February 2015), JRS (26th February 2015), kerrielea (25th February 2015), LoneWolf76 (25th February 2015), skyflower (1st March 2015), Snoweagle (26th February 2015), Sunny-side-up (25th February 2015)

20. Link to Post #31
    Ireland Avalon Member
    Thanks

As a systems & Controls engineer, I have been watching this tech for a while. I posted some stuff on facebook a couple of years ago, and everyone just thought it was cool. It seems to me that they use the various wars that they start as testing grounds for their toys.

Here's one that I sure don't want to see coming after me - if you see it, it's probably too late.

Snoweagle, you're right, it's the swarming technology, robot insects, implanted insects, and invisible tech that they will use in earnest. These show pieces are to be used for terror!

21. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to LoneWolf76 For This Post:

Alekahn2 (26th February 2015), Bill Ryan (26th February 2015), Cidersomerset (25th February 2015), JRS (25th February 2015), kerrielea (25th February 2015), Ol' Roy (26th February 2015), Snoweagle (26th February 2015), Sunny-side-up (25th February 2015)

22. Link to Post #32
    United States Avalon Member ghostrider's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,794 times in 6,634 posts

gotta chime in , the scary thing is down the road , robots will kill jobs for real people ... companies will use robots and the people factor with all it's ups downs , sickness , life drama , mood swings , etc , will be out the window with a programmed robot that will work and not get tired and doesn't need healthcare or vacations ... you see where it could lead ...
    Raiding the Matrix One Mind at a Time ...

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ghostrider For This Post:

East Sun (26th February 2015), Ellisa (26th February 2015)

24. Link to Post #33
    Australia Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,067 times in 950 posts

Though I don't rule out the military use of these robots, I am surprised that there is little mention of their use in, for example,e exploration of space. Their agility is greater than that of a wheeled vehicle, with what seems like superior stability. The uneven and rocky terrain on the planets etc explored so far seem to be suited to this type of machine.

The mention of the nano- bots shows another area where this technology could be used and their mobility would be amazing.

As yet we have no concept of where this research may lead. The gap between people and machines will narrow over time, indeed that has already started. We all know people with an artificial hip, a knee replacement, a heart pace-maker, various internal monitors that dispense medication and recently a robot type prosthetic hand that can undo jars and hold a spoon.

We limit ourselves if we only think of the military application of this work and thus are frightened. The possibilities are endless. (Though the nano stuff would keep me awake at night if I let it!)

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ellisa For This Post:

chrysocolla (26th February 2015), Ol' Roy (26th February 2015), sigma6 (26th February 2015)

26. Link to Post #34
    Thanks

Wow. It was interesting to me that I developed feelings for it as I was watching it, as if it was a conscious being.
    Now imagine it with a synthetic skin and a cute face....

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David Ansible For This Post:

chrysocolla (26th February 2015), sigma6 (26th February 2015)

28. Link to Post #35
    United States Avalon Member ghostrider's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,794 times in 6,634 posts

the henoch prophecies speak about killing machines released on humanity , they gain AI and turn on their masters and become a real problem for everyone ... science follows Henoch's writings like blueprint ... scroll to line 190 http://www.futureofmankind.co.uk/Bil...och_Prophecies there are other reports that speak of robotic killing machines unleashed on humanity ...
    Raiding the Matrix One Mind at a Time ...

29. The Following User Says Thank You to ghostrider For This Post:

DNA (26th February 2015)

30. Link to Post #36
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,659 times in 8,694 posts

Quote Posted by ghostrider (here)
    gotta chime in , the scary thing is down the road , robots will kill jobs for real people ... companies will use robots and the people factor with all it's ups downs , sickness , life drama , mood swings , etc , will be out the window with a programmed robot that will work and not get tired and doesn't need healthcare or vacations ... you see where it could lead ...
    yes, the death of the "worker bee" society and the birth of something new where the majority of your time is NOT spent on "survival".
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Alekahn2 (26th February 2015), DNA (26th February 2015), skyflower (1st March 2015)

32. Link to Post #37
    United States Avalon Member DNA's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,733 times in 4,313 posts

Quote Posted by crosby (here)
    Quote Posted by Maia Gabrial (here)
    So what do you think the purpose of these "dogs" would be? Would they be used in dangerous situations?

Do you think this might be a forerunner to putting human souls into machines? I thought they were fascinatingly creepy...

At least, they can't bite...yet!
    Maia, I was thinking the same thing...... Thank goodness they do not have teeth!!!!!
    warmest,
    crosby
    Oh you just wait.

This is a game changer. Not cool at all.

Can't you just imagine a screen inserted on a head where the face should be, as a soldier or Doctor or politician demands your subservience?

This is another tool for the few to control the masses.
    You don't have to worry about a man's conscious getting in the way when herding people into the fema camps.
    Each spot armed with a tazer and or some other termed "non-lethal" to make people fall in line.
    And when all else fails uzis emerge from the sides.

Not cool.

the henoch prophecies speak about killing machines released on humanity , they gain AI and turn on their masters and become a real problem for everyone ... science follows Henoch's writings like blueprint ... scroll to line 190 http://www.futureofmankind.co.uk/Bil...och_Prophecies there are other reports that speak of robotic killing machines unleashed on humanity ...
    Yea, I was thinking the exact same thing.
    Last edited by DNA; 26th February 2015 at 14:41.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DNA For This Post:

Alekahn2 (26th February 2015), Aurvandil (26th February 2015), East Sun (26th February 2015)

34. Link to Post #38
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,487 times in 1,711 posts

I can't wait until benevolent 'ETs' who are more intelligent than the war mongering among us, decide to put a stop to the destruction of our earth.

The sooner the better. Bring it on Aliens...........
    Question Everything, always speak truth... Make the best of today, for there may not be a tomorrow!!! But, that's OK because tomorrow never comes, so we have nothing to worry about!!!

35. The Following User Says Thank You to East Sun For This Post:

Aurvandil (26th February 2015)

36. Link to Post #39
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by TargeT (here)
    yes, the death of the "worker bee" society and the birth of something new where the majority of your time is NOT spent on "survival".

A fascinating documentary out of the hotspot of robotics, Japan, for those interested.

and for the cat lovers out there...
    http://cc.gatech.edu/news/cats-and-a...robots-to-fall

for a bit of lightness infused into a very serious matter

Name:	i__m_innocent_by_ladylazarus28-d37ci30.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	29094

Name:	desktop-1421098997.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	29095

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Alekahn2 For This Post:

Cidersomerset (28th February 2015)

38. Link to Post #40
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,076 times in 332 posts

Skynet is here, even if you like it, or not ! . What would it prevent this " geniuses" to use such technology to weaponize this robots and use it against us? The terminator movie is not science fiction any more!

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Yetti For This Post:

Cidersomerset (28th February 2015)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 6 LastLast