+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Google wants to rank websites based on facts not links--big problem!!

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,321 times in 10,234 posts

Default Google wants to rank websites based on facts not links--big problem

Google wants to rank websites based on facts not links

The trustworthiness of a web page might help it rise up Google's rankings if the search giant starts to measure quality by facts, not just links

THE internet is stuffed with garbage. Anti-vaccination websites make the front page of Google, and fact-free "news" stories spread like wildfire. Google has devised a fix – rank websites according to their truthfulness.

Google's search engine currently uses the number of incoming links to a web page as a proxy for quality, determining where it appears in search results. So pages that many other sites link to are ranked higher. This system has brought us the search engine as we know it today, but the downside is that websites full of misinformation can rise up the rankings, if enough people link to them.

A Google research team is adapting that model to measure the trustworthiness of a page, rather than its reputation across the web. Instead of counting incoming links, the system – which is not yet live – counts the number of incorrect facts within a page. "A source that has few false facts is considered to be trustworthy," says the team (arxiv.org/abs/1502.03519v1). The score they compute for each page is its Knowledge-Based Trust score.

The software works by tapping into the Knowledge Vault, the vast store of facts that Google has pulled off the internet. Facts the web unanimously agrees on are considered a reasonable proxy for truth. Web pages that contain contradictory information are bumped down the rankings.

There are already lots of apps that try to help internet users unearth the truth. LazyTruth is a browser extension that skims inboxes to weed out the fake or hoax emails that do the rounds. Emergent, a project from the Tow Center for Digital Journalism at Columbia University, New York, pulls in rumours from trashy sites, then verifies or rebuts them by cross-referencing to other sources.

LazyTruth developer Matt Stempeck, now the director of civic media at Microsoft New York, wants to develop software that exports the knowledge found in fact-checking services such as Snopes, PolitiFact and FactCheck.org so that everyone has easy access to them. He says tools like LazyTruth are useful online, but challenging the erroneous beliefs underpinning that information is harder. "How do you correct people's misconceptions? People get very defensive," Stempeck says. "If they're searching for the answer on Google they might be in a much more receptive state."

This article appeared in print under the headline "Nothing but the truth"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You can see where this becomes a huge problem. truth must be contested.

Here's a prime example, from a scientific report website, that shows that truth is inherently flawed as a concept and reality.... as it is a non-reality. Truth is always fundamentally subjective and cannot be removed from that frameworks as no other frameworks exists. the thing that lies at the bottom of science, that quandary, the catch 22 of quantum fundamentals....that: 'there are no facts'..this..existing as the only fundamental fact. paradox underlies it all. And this article below shows it explicitly, in simple logic.

Could classical theory be just as weird as quantum theory?

The above is a fundamentally important recent article, but it cannot be proven as to it's truthfulness. It's about quantum function vs classical 'deterministic' science, where history is pushed forward as the only path of the future. That's unchanging dogmatism, which is death.

The physics article stipulates and illustrates that this is impossible, in the face of quantum function and quantum science that is proven to be 100% functional. That determinism is dead and cannot be. Yet, according to what Larry page is about to try and do, that article is low on 'truth' and 'facts', and would receive a low ranking. It would be hidden. It would be pushed away from being seen.

For example, even scientific endeavor itself ---would be relegated to the trashcan, as scientific truths that have the greatest potential to help advance humanity... are invariably argued over with much vitriol and anger. this is the way it has to be, before a thing moves into being in the human lexicon of expanding and changing reality.

Almost anything on this website, many subjects that end up in the mainstream, cutting edge motions into new truths, new endeavor, new exposure of old lies and exposure of old cover ups, all those things would be relegated to a trashcan of being unsearchable.

Google is looking at homogenizing itself into a tightly controlled oligarchy of a giant sea of placid nothingness.

Nothing changes --- without differential.

Truthfulness, factualness..as Google seems to be looking at enacting as a fundamental search function... is not the arbiter of reality and truth.

The arrow of science and the arrow of truth require, by their very definition, absolute and total challenge to the existing 'arrow of motion and flow' of either.

No differential ----no chance of change. A non-changing thing surround by no differences.... is a dead thing.

History pushed forward into the future, is in all ways, an act of 'no change', and a 'dead thing walking.'

I smell a Larry Page in this one, as apparently he has that sort of mind, this extreme linearity in thinking that is inherently dangerous to open change and advancement in humanity.

You cannot discover anything new unless the past the history is challenged, if the history is put forth as the shape of the future. (exactly why bibles and korans can be very bad things --dogma is death)

this is all hardcore fundamental science and human endeavor, at it's edge, how it operates. To kill the development of humanity, to do that one has to control mass perception, and this is custom designed to remove 'notice' of new developments out of humanity's sight, so it can be killed off or controlled in dark corners. The kind of cover and loss we had before the internet showed up.

But WORSE, as the impression will be that it is not there, that the control is not in existence, in a system that appears to be more open and far reaching than that which existed before.

We are looking at the danger of an algorithm, tuned by humans, that is about to be used to enact a state of dogma on and into Google's search system.

In that, I'd say that 'Google is dead', it is in the final throes of killing itself, cementing itself into a dogmatic old man, a machination of oligarchy and control. The last vestiges of freedom and change are being burned out of Google.

Goodbye Larry page, your relevance to humanity is moving to a solid verified negative. At first you were positive, then neutral.... and now moving into a open negative for humanity.

The oligarchs are knocking at the door. They want their 1940's-1950's back, they want their total control back in their hands, and they'll do anything to get it.
    Last edited by Carmody; 17th March 2015 at 16:33.
    Interdimensional Civil Servant

2. The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to Carmody For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (13th March 2015), Alekahn2 (2nd March 2015), Anchor (18th March 2015), Apulu (1st March 2015), aranuk (1st March 2015), avid (1st March 2015), Bill Ryan (1st March 2015), Blacklight43 (1st March 2015), Calz (2nd March 2015), Ernie Nemeth (2nd March 2015), Gardener (1st March 2015), grannyfranny100 (1st March 2015), Hervé (1st March 2015), hohoemi (1st March 2015), JRS (3rd March 2015), meeradas (12th March 2015), Nasu (3rd March 2015), Omni (2nd March 2015), PurpleLama (1st March 2015), sandy (2nd March 2015), seko (2nd March 2015), Sierra (17th March 2015), skyflower (1st March 2015), Snoweagle (2nd March 2015), Sophocles (1st March 2015), TargeT (3rd March 2015), ThePythonicCow (2nd March 2015), the_real_dave-id (1st March 2015)

3. Link to Post #2
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 95,902 times in 15,481 posts

Default Re: Google wants to rank websites based on facts not links--big problem!!

I don't think it'll take long now for Google to gobble up Wikipedia...
    "La réalité est un rêve que l'on fait atterrir" San Antonio AKA F. Dard

Troll-hood motto: Never, ever, however, whatsoever, to anyone, a point concede.

4. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (13th March 2015), aranuk (1st March 2015), avid (1st March 2015), Bill Ryan (1st March 2015), Calz (2nd March 2015), Carmody (1st March 2015), Gardener (1st March 2015), grannyfranny100 (1st March 2015), Omni (2nd March 2015), sandy (2nd March 2015), Sierra (17th March 2015), Snookie (1st March 2015), Snoweagle (2nd March 2015), Sophocles (1st March 2015), ThePythonicCow (2nd March 2015), the_real_dave-id (1st March 2015)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

Default Re: Google wants to rank websites based on facts not links--big problem!!

And it's a Wikipedia... that when you try and correct it's errors with even well observed science and scientific articles, it removes those 'facts'.

i use Wikipedia in the general sense, but I do not trust the impartiality nor the intellect of it's editors.

This is where the factualization, that looks sane on the surface, with the kind of cursory glance that most people put into things....that is where it becomes dangerously circular, limiting, inbred and insane.

6. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Carmody For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (13th March 2015), Alekahn2 (2nd March 2015), Apulu (1st March 2015), aranuk (1st March 2015), avid (1st March 2015), Bill Ryan (1st March 2015), Calz (2nd March 2015), Gardener (1st March 2015), grannyfranny100 (1st March 2015), Hervé (1st March 2015), JRS (3rd March 2015), Omni (2nd March 2015), Patrikas (2nd March 2015), Sierra (17th March 2015), Snookie (1st March 2015), Snoweagle (2nd March 2015), Sophocles (1st March 2015), ThePythonicCow (2nd March 2015), the_real_dave-id (1st March 2015)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,846 times in 876 posts

Downright scary. It fits with a transhumanist mind set that just wants answers decided for them. It dovetails with a memorize and regurgitate "facts" rather than develop critical thinking skills education.

8. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to grannyfranny100 For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (13th March 2015), avid (1st March 2015), Calz (2nd March 2015), Carmody (1st March 2015), gripreaper (1st March 2015), Hervé (1st March 2015), JRS (3rd March 2015), Sierra (17th March 2015), Snoweagle (2nd March 2015), Sophocles (1st March 2015), ThePythonicCow (2nd March 2015)

9. Link to Post #5
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,801 times in 2,667 posts

Do I look at Wikipedia? Very rarely, as I am dumbfounded by the lack of truth in some instances, and obvious biases, usually geo-political.
    Today, the BBC is airing an 'authorised documentary' yet again exposing it's non-impartiality as this whole episode ridicules those who wish to be politically exempt from European Union. Frightening voters before an election, thrusting MSM opinions on the masses, and tarring brushes on the viable alternatives. Should be a comedic programme, but is enforcing pro-European Union scaremongering dictats into the minds of uneducated/unaware voters. BBC is so biased, and a head pro-zionist puppet is so well paid http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-chairman.html I am very disappointed in my country, I feel duped. Even the so-called encyclopedic structures are riddled with lies and deceit. Time the 'rug' was pulled from under the feet of the shadow/secret funders/manipulators, and that the freedom of the press is in reality - FREEDOM.
    The love you withhold is the pain that you carry
    and er..
    "Chariots of the Globs" (apols to Fat Freddy's Cat)

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to avid For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (13th March 2015), Apulu (1st March 2015), aranuk (1st March 2015), Carmody (1st March 2015), grannyfranny100 (1st March 2015), Hervé (2nd March 2015), Sierra (17th March 2015), Snoweagle (2nd March 2015), ThePythonicCow (2nd March 2015)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,724 times in 193 posts

Such a well-written article Carmody, thanks. I'm kind of surprised that now seems to be the right time, for whoever, to implement this, and not years ago. There must have been good reason. Why is now such a good time?

I can't easily imagine that it hasn't been known (by a small group of people), for a long time, fairly accurately, where the internet has been taking humanity, and how much information is getting through that they would rather be held back. With the most advanced AI systems available, running around the clock, to monitor both those aspects, and no doubt countless others, there must surely have been clear incentive to wait until now.

Has it been deemed that now will provide the least amount of resistance? I'm struggling to think of more than one potentially-worthwhile reason. I've not doubt that there are many. Perhaps the fact that we are now so accustomed to search engines and other online activity, means that much more trust is now invested in most of the big players, like Google. That's about as far as my reasoning goes right now!

Various aspects of resistance to change, and the opposite, have been brought to mind for me a lot lately, and not just because I'm preparing to launch an album called To Change. Change is indeed such a fundamental part of existence, and I like the notion of change being THE function of All That Is. No wonder certain people have such a vested interest in halting specific aspects of that here on Earth. Thanks again great post : )

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Apulu For This Post:

avid (4th March 2015), Carmody (2nd March 2015), Hervé (2nd March 2015), JRS (3rd March 2015), sandy (2nd March 2015), Sierra (17th March 2015), Snoweagle (2nd March 2015), ThePythonicCow (2nd March 2015)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,394 times in 3,448 posts

I predicted this basically as soon as I heard David Cameron's "extremist" speech. I could tell the agenda would be to regulate the internet more strictly, with models like ISP censorship, govt owned ISPs, and methods like this to filter out websites that are deemed a threat due to exposing too much truth.

As more people wake up the more threatened TPTB will be to their secrets posted on the internet.

In the next few years I expect to see a change in the internet's freedom of expression. I expect youtube to implement strategic things like this as well.

So much for the Google founder(or one of them) stating he wanted google to not be an "evil corporation".

14. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Omni For This Post:

Alekahn2 (2nd March 2015), avid (4th March 2015), Calz (2nd March 2015), Carmody (2nd March 2015), Hervé (2nd March 2015), JRS (3rd March 2015), sandy (2nd March 2015), Sierra (17th March 2015), Snoweagle (2nd March 2015), ThePythonicCow (2nd March 2015)

15. Link to Post #8
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,854 times in 21,553 posts

Default Re: Google wants to rank websites based on facts not links--big problem

Quote Posted by Carmody (here)
    Almost anything on this website, many subjects that end up in the mainstream, cutting edge motions into new truths, new endeavor, new exposure of old lies and exposure of old cover ups, all those things would be relegated to a trashcan of being unsearchable.
    Yes, as others noted, a fine post, Carmody.

One more twist of the stiletto occurs to me ... it would too easy be for a covert disruptor to relegate an important page on Avalon the dustbin of history non-existence by posting a couple of known (to Google's all knowing engine) bogosities to that same page.

That would leave us Avalon moderators with the unenviable choice of (1) removing those posts and demonstrating once again that we are the jack-booted, censoring thugs, that a few, mostly former, members have already determined that we are, or (2) lowering the Google search rank of that page to oblivion.

(That's assuming we moderators even knew what particular "non-facts" were best at triggering Google's frequently fiddled fallaciousness filter.)
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

16. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Alekahn2 (2nd March 2015), Apulu (2nd March 2015), avid (4th March 2015), Calz (2nd March 2015), Carmody (2nd March 2015), Hervé (2nd March 2015), JRS (3rd March 2015), Omni (2nd March 2015), sandy (2nd March 2015), Sierra (17th March 2015), Snoweagle (2nd March 2015), sunflower (3rd March 2015)

17. Link to Post #9
    United States On Sabbatical
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Default Re: Google wants to rank websites based on facts not links--big problem

[/QUOTE]...Google's frequently fiddled fallaciousness filter.)[/QUOTE]

https://www.ixquick.com
    ~ "...burn for no reason, like a lamp in the daylight" ~

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Alekahn2 For This Post:

Carmody (2nd March 2015), JRS (3rd March 2015), sandy (2nd March 2015), Sierra (17th March 2015)

19. Link to Post #10
    Thanks
    Thanked 79,648 times in 18,693 posts

Heres an article from David ickes site by Activist post , I just
    posted on the Edward snowden thread.......

Google gives new meaning to ‘Orwellian’ – Becomes Ministry of Truth

Monday 2nd March 2015 at 09:45 By David Icke

‘“…if all records told the same tale — then the lie passed into history and became truth.” (1984, George Orwell)

The New Scientist has the stunning story (2/28/15, “Google wants to rank websites based on facts not links,” by Hal Hodson):

“THE internet is stuffed with garbage. Anti-vaccination websites make the front page of Google, and fact-free
    ‘news’ stories spread like wildfire. Google has devised a fix – rank websites according to their truthfulness.”

Great idea, right?

Sure it is.

The author of the article lets the cat out of the bag right away with his comment about “anti-vaccination” websites.’

Read more: Google gives new meaning to 'Orwellian' – Becomes Ministry of Truth

http://www.activistpost.com/2015/03/...orwellian.html
    Last edited by Cidersomerset; 2nd March 2015 at 21:40.

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (13th March 2015), avid (4th March 2015), Carmody (3rd March 2015), JRS (3rd March 2015), Omni (2nd March 2015), Sierra (17th March 2015), Snoweagle (2nd March 2015), TargeT (3rd March 2015)

21. Link to Post #11
    Thanks

google has been useless for a very long time, the truth is fact and they want to hide that is no surprise.
    the soul mind trap http://tinyurl.com/ph7ajgb
    we live in a 3D matrix 3rd dimensional prison, awake! and never forget! so you shall no longer be imprisoned! escape the reincarnation lunar soul trap!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to huyi82 For This Post:

Carmody (17th March 2015)

23. Link to Post #12
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,854 times in 21,553 posts

Now if Google did this right -- then mainstream news websites such as MSNBC, CNN, Fox, NYTimes, WashingtonPost, major government websites such as Whitehouse.gov, and numerous other major media, corporate and propaganda websites, as well as equivalent websites in other nations, would all be downgraded severely .
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (13th March 2015), Carmody (13th March 2015), Peace of Mind (12th March 2015), Sierra (17th March 2015)

25. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

Well, we have yet to see how this turns out. I hold out ~~slim~~ (very very slim) hope that this will not work out in oligarchical favour, but I'm coming down on the side of preparing for the worst.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Carmody For This Post:

Alekahn2 (18th March 2015), Omni (17th March 2015), Sierra (17th March 2015)

27. Link to Post #14
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,836 times in 3,731 posts

Often times with a Google search I deliberately go for the 4th page or later, often what I want is there and never on the sponsored pages at the top of the search.

I think the countermeasure for this ranking change will be similar, and if it is anything like what I expect it wont work in the advertisers favor. They make money regardless of a page's "truthfulness".

Truths (plural) will find a way through this quite quickly I think.
    -- Let the truth be known by all, let the truth be known by all, let the truth be known by all --

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anchor For This Post:

Alekahn2 (18th March 2015), ThePythonicCow (18th March 2015)

+ Reply to Thread