+ Reply to Thread

Thread: You are not the center of the universe

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks

Default You are not the center of the universe

This is making the rounds again, and I love what a great reminder it is. Enjoy.

2. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to happyexpat For This Post:

AlaBil (16th March 2015), Apulu (16th March 2015), Atlas (16th March 2015), betoobig (16th March 2015), butcherman (17th March 2015), Carmody (17th March 2015), ceetee9 (16th March 2015), Earthlink (16th March 2015), Fairy Friend (18th March 2015), Gardener (16th March 2015), Heart-2-Heart (17th March 2015), Iloveyou (16th March 2015), joeecho (16th March 2015), justntime2learn (16th March 2015), lucidity (17th March 2015), Pam (16th March 2015), Roseheart (17th March 2015), sandy (17th March 2015), skyflower (17th March 2015), Wind (17th March 2015)

3. Link to Post #2
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,614 times in 5,382 posts

Default Re: You are not the center of the universe

Cool. Ya, I like this one too.

But you know, you are at the center of your universe - the subjective one...
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

Free will can only be as free as the mind that conceives it.

4. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

betoobig (16th March 2015), Carmody (17th March 2015), Fellow Aspirant (16th March 2015), huyi82 (16th March 2015), Iloveyou (16th March 2015), Jake (16th March 2015), joeecho (16th March 2015), justntime2learn (16th March 2015), PurpleLama (16th March 2015), sandy (17th March 2015), Selkie (16th March 2015), ulli (16th March 2015), Wind (17th March 2015)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,061 times in 906 posts

Woua!, amazing!, how lucky we are to be aware of this! With so many of these systems, there maybe intelligence out there, that aren't aware of this magnificient Universe?

The best to everyone.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Deega For This Post:

Atlas (16th March 2015), betoobig (16th March 2015), happyexpat (16th March 2015), Iloveyou (16th March 2015), Jake (16th March 2015), Omni (16th March 2015), sandy (17th March 2015), Wind (17th March 2015)

7. Link to Post #4
    Europe Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,386 times in 1,223 posts

Quote Posted by Ernie Nemeth (here)
    Cool. Ya, I like this one too.

But you know, you are at the center of your universe - the subjective one...
    Yesss. And this universe is outside of me as well as inside of me.

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Iloveyou For This Post:

betoobig (16th March 2015), Earthlink (16th March 2015), Fellow Aspirant (16th March 2015), happyexpat (16th March 2015), Jake (16th March 2015), sandy (17th March 2015), Shezbeth (16th March 2015), ulli (16th March 2015), Wind (17th March 2015)

9. Link to Post #5
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

I went to a birthday party for a two year old yesterday. You can provide all the evidence you want that I am not the center of the universe, but everyone one of the children that were there fully believe they are the center of the universe. Everyone must bow to their demands and make them as comfortable as possible.

Children always make me smile.
    Hi, I will look you directly in your eyes and tell you wholeheartedly that I love you.

Will you run, or reciprocate?

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DeBron For This Post:

Atlas (16th March 2015), betoobig (16th March 2015), Fellow Aspirant (16th March 2015), happyexpat (16th March 2015), Jake (16th March 2015), sandy (17th March 2015), Wind (17th March 2015)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,696 times in 3,333 posts

Thank you for giving me some perspective this morning!!!!!!!

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pam For This Post:

betoobig (16th March 2015), happyexpat (16th March 2015), joeecho (16th March 2015), sandy (17th March 2015), Wind (17th March 2015)

13. Link to Post #7
    Canada Avalon Member Fellow Aspirant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,595 times in 1,002 posts

Unfortunately, many children today grow up to be self-centred, elitist 'shakers and movers' with 'entitlement' issues. You know, the 1%ers who head corporations or governments.

[QUOTE=DeBron;943512]I went to a birthday party for a two year old yesterday. You can provide all the evidence you want that I am not the center of the universe, but everyone one of the children that were there fully believe they are the center of the universe. Everyone must bow to their demands and make them as comfortable as possible.

B.
    A human being is a part of the whole, called by us "Universe," a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separate from the rest—a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness.

Albert E.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fellow Aspirant For This Post:

Atlas (17th March 2015), betoobig (16th March 2015), Ernie Nemeth (18th March 2015)

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,706 times in 8,941 posts

LOL at 2 years old, we are the center of the universe, otherwise we get unbalanced later on in life. When the earth was at the center of the universe (Galileo time), we were as a race at 2 years old evolutionary age.

the problem stems when we do not grow past 2 years old thinking and feeling.

My daughter was the center of the universe at 2, but she tried at 14, as a parent, it was my duty to correct this perception of herself.

Quote Posted by Fellow Aspirant (here)
    Unfortunately, many children today grow up to be self-centred, elitist 'shakers and movers' with 'entitlement' issues. You know, the 1%ers who head corporations or governments.
    Quote Posted by DeBron (here)
    I went to a birthday party for a two year old yesterday. You can provide all the evidence you want that I am not the center of the universe, but everyone one of the children that were there fully believe they are the center of the universe. Everyone must bow to their demands and make them as comfortable as possible.

B.
    Last edited by Sierra; 16th March 2015 at 19:41. Reason: Fixed missing quote

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

Atlas (17th March 2015), Ernie Nemeth (18th March 2015)

17. Link to Post #9
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,216 times in 1,274 posts

Interesting video, I hadn't seen it previously. One good turn deserves another eh; this picture is one of my favorites, expressing a similar idea.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HkWEf.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	761.5 KB
ID:	29257

Having said, I disagree with the OP title and the final point of the thread. Is an individual central in importance and significance WRT the universe? Arguable, but I would say no. However, if one is capable of specifying a point of experience, awareness, etc. that isn't within (or tethered - OBE for example) the body, well that would be quite a feat wouldn't it?

18. Link to Post #10
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,293 times in 2,822 posts

Reminds me of the relative size of things.

Our Universe is relatively infinite to us but........

On the flip side, imagine how SMALL things can get in relationship to the smallest known 'particle' to us.

As above, so below.

19. Link to Post #11
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,270 times in 446 posts

Maybe one day our minds will expand and realize with full awareness that we are the Universe experiencing itself. Don't know if that is true, but it is what some believe . . .

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aspen For This Post:

happyexpat (16th March 2015), Shezbeth (16th March 2015)

21. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

Quote Posted by FA (here)
    Interesting video, I hadn't seen it previously. One good turn deserves another eh; this picture is one of my favorites, expressing a similar idea.

Attachment 29257

Having said, I disagree with the OP title and the final point of the thread. Is an individual central in importance and significance WRT the universe? Arguable, but I would say no. However, if one is capable of specifying a point of experience, awareness, etc. that isn't within (or tethered - OBE for example) the body, well that would be quite a feat wouldn't it?
    Interesting how the picture of the 'observable Universe' picture can remind one of the dust particles highlighted in a room of diffused light. Hmmmmm

One is the center of the Universe yet everywhere and nowhere.
    Last edited by joeecho; 16th March 2015 at 20:03.

22. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

For the folks who are real sticklers, I would say it is that the ego that is the you that thinks it is you is not the center of the universe. I am just not used to dealing with very many people who have an experience of themselves being much other than their ego.
    Personally, I believe we are consciousness experiencing itself, and I wouldn't limit consciousness by saying it is only this universe however gigantic that is.

23. Link to Post #14
    Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,511 times in 573 posts

... the universe is a place, and that place is comprised of all of its' parts, you being no more or less center than any other part therein : )

(yes i am)

hahahahaha

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Earthlink For This Post:

Ernie Nemeth (18th March 2015), joeecho (17th March 2015)

25. Link to Post #15
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Earthlink (here)
    ... the universe is a place, and that place is comprised of all of its' parts, you being no more or less center than any other part therein : )

(yes i am)

hahahahaha

Well then, doesn't that make you 'partly' right? ....or all right?

26. Link to Post #16
    Thanks
    Thanked 30,977 times in 5,003 posts

This video does the opposite of what it sets out to do: it makes the Moon, and everything else in between, look the size of a red supergiant; they all fill the middle of the picture. The effect is to cancel out scale altogether, which is precisely what we do when we see ourselves not only as the centre of the universe, but as an entire universe. This is the correct view: we too as are huge, and even huger, than red supergiants – now can we all start behaving that way?

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to araucaria For This Post:

Atlas (17th March 2015), Carmody (17th March 2015)

28. Link to Post #17
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,321 times in 10,234 posts

They say that, developmentally..that intelligence begins, the moment that a person realizes that they are alone in this world. That they realize their separateness, and that they must be and do. Until then, it is all sleepytime for the given wiring and it's development. In my case, I was about three days old, when that process began.

So..to help children to be comfortable..but not brain dead.

Until they understand those all important points of existing, they are in, effect, brain dead and organizing their wiring into a autonomous machine like deadness of reactivity and permanence in instinctive reactivity and the denigration and downturn of consciousness of self.
    Interdimensional Civil Servant

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Carmody For This Post:

Atlas (17th March 2015), Ernie Nemeth (18th March 2015), skyflower (18th March 2015)

30. Link to Post #18
    On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,228 times in 3,216 posts

Quote Posted by Carmody (here)

They say that, developmentally..that intelligence begins, the moment that a person realizes that they are alone in this world. That they realize their separateness, and that they must be and do. Until then, it is all sleepytime for the given wiring and it's development. In my case, I was about three days old, when that process began.

So..to help children to be comfortable..but not brain dead.

Until they understand those all important points of existing, they are in, effect, brain dead and organizing their wiring into a autonomous machine like deadness of reactivity and permanence in instinctive reactivity and the denigration and downturn of consciousness of self.
    Ever noticed how young children always start running just to keep the walking pace of the adults ? I find it funny It is because humans tend to walk at about 1.4 m/s (5.0 km/h; 3.1 mph) (Preferred_walking_speed) and children can't reach that speed until they are 4 years-old even though a 6 years-old can reach 1.32 m/s on normal speed. (Walking and running spatio-temporal variables in children...)

But basically yes, they deserve our best.
    Last edited by Atlas; 17th March 2015 at 17:09.

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Atlas For This Post:

Carmody (19th March 2015), Earthlink (17th March 2015), Ernie Nemeth (18th March 2015), Rich (19th March 2015)

32. Link to Post #19
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,614 times in 5,382 posts

I guess I never grew up...

But mathematically speaking, every point is equidistant to infinity, so every point can be considered (is) the center of infinity. Problem is that finite numbers increase linearly, one by one, but never reach infinity. The very last moment (last otherwise finite number) is infinite itself - a very big contradiction, but nonetheless true. unless you believe in the order of infinities, each larger than the previous - but that kinda just starts counting all over again using inifinity as a finite number
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

Free will can only be as free as the mind that conceives it.

33. Link to Post #20
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,730 times in 2,903 posts

We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time
    By faith we understand things which are seen were not made of the things which are visible

+ Reply to Thread