+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 79 FirstFirst 1 3 13 53 79 LastLast

Thread: Internet Censorship: So it continues...

1. Link to Post #41
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,300 times in 18,139 posts

Default Re: Internet Censorship: So it continues...

Quote Posted by Whisper (here)
    Back to more complicated and time wasting....not to talk about all the other manipulations and censorships they run on the net today......
    Speaking of a time waster, in the last couple of days I noticed with some videos there are two ads to click off before it'll play.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

avid (20th March 2019), BMJ (25th March 2019), Franny (26th March 2019), Hervé (20th March 2019), justntime2learn (20th March 2019), ThePythonicCow (20th March 2019), Valerie Villars (20th March 2019)

3. Link to Post #42
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 95,891 times in 15,481 posts

Tens of thousands rally against EU copyright bill

RT
    Sun, 24 Mar 2019 11:19 UTC

© People protest against the planned EU copyright reform in Berlin REUTERS/Hannibal Hanschke

Tens of thousands of protesters marched all across Europe to vent their anger at the controversial EU copyright bill critics say will curb freedom to upload content on social media platforms like YouTube or Tumblr.

Europe saw massive rallies on Saturday with countless protesters united by a motto 'Save our Internet'. In Germany alone, as many as forty demonstrations took place. Munich and Berlin were the venues for the largest protests, with 40,000 and 30,000 people taking part.

Many were seen holding hand-made banners that read "We are not bots," "Make art not articles" or "Yes to copyright, not to censorship."

The rallies took place as the European Parliament is set to vote for the EU Copyright Directive. The bill brings existing copyright legislation up-to-date with the demands of the digital age but features clauses that courted controversy among users.

One clause, Article 13, in the directive demands that various online platforms be legally responsible for users that upload copyright-infringing content. Critics argue that the only way to do so is to scrutinize content before it is uploaded, leading to installing filters that will likely be prone to errors.

The rallies specifically targeted Article 13 and addressed fears that filtering content will eventually lead to censorship.

Other European cities have also hosted similar rallies with people uploading photos under a #SaveTheInternet hashtag.

Frequently-visited websites and online services followed suit earlier this week protesting the controversial changes. German, Czech, Danish, and Slovak Wikipedias went dark for one day to take a stand on the kind of issue that "may impact Wikipedia and the broader free and open internet."

Meanwhile, any users uploading content on Reddit are shown the following notice.

Reddit @reddit

From now till 3/23, EU redditors will get a glimpse of what's in store if the new EU Copyright Directive passes.

TL;DR: It sucks.

Learn more about how to contact your MEP and what else you can do to #saveyourinternet: https://bit.ly/2ugfFRt

1:00 AM - Mar 21, 2019
    Adding to the website blackouts and the demonstrations, more than five million netizens have signed a Change.org petition calling to withdraw Article 13.
    "La réalité est un rêve que l'on fait atterrir" San Antonio AKA F. Dard

Troll-hood motto: Never, ever, however, whatsoever, to anyone, a point concede.

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

BMJ (25th March 2019), Franny (26th March 2019), ichingcarpenter (25th March 2019), KiwiElf (25th March 2019), Kristin (26th March 2019), Philippe (27th March 2019), RunningDeer (25th March 2019), Tintin (26th March 2019), TrumanCash (26th March 2019), Valerie Villars (25th March 2019)

5. Link to Post #43
    Netherlands Avalon Member ExomatrixTV's Avatar
    Language
    English, Dutch, German, Limburgs
    Thanks
    Thanked 125,688 times in 20,823 posts

Exclamation Re: Internet Censorship: So it continues...

The EU Just Destroyed The Internet #Article11 #Article13

⚠️ George Orwell & Aldous Huxley are rolling in their graves ...
    '1984' & 'Brave New World' were not suppose to be "instruction manuals".
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 26th March 2019 at 17:44.
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Franny (26th March 2019), Kristin (26th March 2019), Rosemarie (26th March 2019), Valerie Villars (26th March 2019), what is a name? (27th March 2019)

7. Link to Post #44
    United States Avalon Member Valerie Villars's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,435 times in 2,846 posts

I remember another thread about this and someone asking Bill what it would mean, should the EU adopt the above articles. Bill said it meant that essentially we would only be able to talk about ourselves.

So Paul or Herve, what's going to happen to this site? Is it all going to be scrubbed clean? All of this wonderful, varied information.

What does this mean for the future of this forum?
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone when we are uncool." From the movie "Almost Famous""l "Let yourself stand cool and composed before a million universes." Walt Whitman

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

ExomatrixTV (26th March 2019), Rosemarie (26th March 2019), Tintin (28th March 2019)

9. Link to Post #45
    Language
    Thanks

David Icke Talks About Article 13 & The EU

Gerard Batten speaks against Article 13 and the EU Copyright Directive

What is Article 13 and will it Kill Memes? WIRED Explains

Article 13 Has Been Passed! The Darkest Day in Internet History
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Franny (26th March 2019), Valerie Villars (26th March 2019)

11. Link to Post #46
    Language
    Thanks

What Happens If Article 13 Passes?

YouTube is Changing: Article 13 Explained

The End of the Internet… Death by Article 13 Law
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 26th March 2019 at 18:09.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Franny (26th March 2019), Valerie Villars (26th March 2019)

13. Link to Post #47
    Language
    Thanks

PLEASE WATCH THIS WITH CC ENGLISH SUB-TITLES:

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Franny (26th March 2019)

15. Link to Post #48
    Language
    Thanks

Bill Ryan Am really saddened that my
    https://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?106429-The-EU-Just-Destroyed-The-Internet-Article11-Article13 is "moved" (merged) as a SUB-SECTION to this thread
    @BillRyan most likely you will defend this admin/moderator decision unless you can see why I think it is very important to have a separate post as intended by me!
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 26th March 2019 at 18:21.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Franny (26th March 2019)

17. Link to Post #49
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks

Quote Posted by ExomatrixTV (here)
    The EU Just Destroyed The Internet #Article11 #Article13
    [...]
    Hello Exo, I merged your recently posted thread with this pre-existing one that's on the same and similar subject and which could have been found with a forum search looking for the phrase "Article 13".

Quote @BillRyan most likely you will defend this admin/moderator decision unless you can see why I think it is very important to have a separate post as intended by me!
    See post # 42
    Last edited by Hervé; 26th March 2019 at 18:22.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

Jean-Marie (26th March 2019), Kristin (26th March 2019), Tintin (27th March 2019)

19. Link to Post #50
    Language
    Thanks

@Hervé

You do not get it ... I have a vast network of platforms that I promote my new created post ... now it is "somewhere" ... but not that obvious anymore for my people coming via my original intended link ... very sad :|
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 26th March 2019 at 18:55.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Franny (26th March 2019), Valerie Villars (27th March 2019)

21. Link to Post #51
    Language
    Thanks

22. Link to Post #52
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,004 times in 2,540 posts

Quote Posted by ExomatrixTV (here)
    Bill Ryan Am really saddened that my
    https://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?106429-The-EU-Just-Destroyed-The-Internet-Article11-Article13 is "moved" (merged) as a SUB-SECTION to this thread
    @BillRyan most likely you will defend this admin/moderator decision unless you can see why I think it is very important to have a separate post as intended by me!
    All you need to do is hit the "Link to post" box and you are free to send your following to any post you want, just like everyone else here does. We must not treat you any differently than any other member here. Your contributions are appreciated. Thank you.

23. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kristin For This Post:

Billy (28th March 2019), Chip (27th March 2019), Hervé (27th March 2019), Jean-Marie (26th March 2019), Tintin (26th March 2019), Valerie Villars (26th March 2019)

24. Link to Post #53
    UK Moderator/Librarian/Administrator Tintin's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 46,613 times in 5,415 posts

Quote Posted by Valerie Villars (here)
    I remember another thread about this and someone asking Bill what it would mean, should the EU adopt the above articles. Bill said it meant that essentially we would only be able to talk about ourselves.

So Paul or Herve, what's going to happen to this site? Is it all going to be scrubbed clean? All of this wonderful, varied information.

Hi Val (and Paul/Hervé may be better skilled with the technicalities here)

I imagine that the forum ought to be/remain reasonably largely unaffected by this, at least at the moment, as the newly passed 'bill', which will not take real effect for a few weeks/months - it isn't mandatory yet as it will still need to be enshrined in nation member states law - applies only to material posted or circulated on platforms within EU member countries (around 28 out of approx 45 European countries).

Our host for the site resides in the US where this, at least I think, wouldn't be applicable.

That's my understanding of the situation, but, would appreciate clarification too as I could have overlooked something possibly quite obvious here.
    Last edited by Tintin; 27th March 2019 at 11:40.
    “If a man does not keep pace with [fall into line with] his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.” - Thoreau

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tintin For This Post:

Chip (27th March 2019), Hervé (27th March 2019), Kristin (27th March 2019), Valerie Villars (27th March 2019)

26. Link to Post #54
    UK Moderator/Librarian/Administrator Tintin's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 46,613 times in 5,415 posts

Just for a little clarity, here's what David Icke helpfully outlined in his video (from Dec 2018) that Exomatrix linked to here.

Obviously things have moved on a little (!) but does provide a guide to the process for those unfamiliar with the workings of the EU. I've sub-edited certain parts as will be obvious.
    “The directive will now enter informal negotiations between the European Commission Council and Parliament. (…) organizations will decide on the final wording of the legislation before presenting it to the EU Legal Affairs Committee at some point, most likely around December.

In January 2019 the directive will go back to the European Parliament for a vote on the wording. This is just ahead of elections to the European Parliament (this Spring 2019 - my edit: TQ) so MEPs may well start paying attention to vocal constituents as they start to consider the prospect of their re-election. Assuming the directive passes [yes, this week: TQ] Member States of the EU (28 as at today: TQ) then have two years to pass laws that will bring their law in line with the new regulations. EU directives aren't laws in themselves but simply compel nation governments, national governments, to pass their own laws that make the directives a reality. In other words, they are European law.” [<<not yet national government law per se - TQ]
    [edit to add @ 11:51GMT]

Open Rights Group website: https://www.openrightsgroup.org/pres...ight-directive

"Article 13 (now renamed Article 17 - my edit: TQ) makes Internet platforms directly liable for all user content, giving them no choice but to scan all content with upload filters. To avoid penalties they will err on the side of caution and overblock.
    Algorithms fail to grasp context, which is needed to recognise legal exceptions to copyright. That means important research, commentary, creative works and parodies will be mistakenly identified and blocked along with copyright violations."
    Last edited by Tintin; 27th March 2019 at 12:07.
    “If a man does not keep pace with [fall into line with] his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.” - Thoreau

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tintin For This Post:

Chip (27th March 2019), Hervé (27th March 2019), Valerie Villars (27th March 2019)

28. Link to Post #55
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Valerie Villars (here)

Wherever there is a flow of anything, there'll always be some Rockefeller or JP Morgan one can count on to install a tap and a counter on it and start levying taxes... like some sort of a TVA/VAT system most of the world is using.

Yeah, one wonders what would happen to a site like Biblioteca Pleyades ?

One solution would consist of turning the site to "Private" with no public access... which is counter the aim of Avalon... and yes, we would just be talking to ourselves with no clues as to what's going on in the world but by accredited MSM.

When Orwell published his 1948 book, deep states around the world had started implementing it... whereas run-of the-mill folks did nothing to counter-act Orwell's nightmarish, prophetic vision but to complain once it became obvious it had become implemented in real reality. God fearing souls, law abiding citizens and... "Gilets Jaunes"... hope of the world?

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

Philippe (27th March 2019), Tintin (27th March 2019), Valerie Villars (27th March 2019)

30. Link to Post #56
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,312 times in 617 posts

Herve,

I would argue that Orwell was not a future visionary, but he was actually describing the current situation he found himself in. He placed it in the future as to not discomfort people too much.

31. Link to Post #57
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Praxis (here)
    Herve,
    I would argue that Orwell was not a future visionary, but he was actually describing the current situation he found himself in. He placed it in the future as to not discomfort people too much.
    Why don't you re-read this:
    Quote When Orwell published his 1948 book, deep states around the world had started implementing it...

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

justntime2learn (27th March 2019), Tintin (27th March 2019), Valerie Villars (27th March 2019)

33. Link to Post #58
    Language
    Thanks

EU Approves Article 13 to Try and Destroy the Internet
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 27th March 2019 at 23:22.

34. Link to Post #59
    Language
    Thanks

35. Link to Post #60
    Language
    Thanks

36. The Following User Says Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

KiwiElf (27th March 2019)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 79 FirstFirst 1 3 13 53 79 LastLast