+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What's The Purpose Of Education?

1. Link to Post #1
    On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,228 times in 3,216 posts

Default What's The Purpose Of Education?

Quote Posted by Karen, Project Avalon Organizer
    The real purpose of "education" is to destroy our heritage, culture and to dumb us down into a good corporate slave. (projectavalon.net/forum/showpost.php?p=167695&postcount=2)

What's the purpose of education?

2. The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to Atlas For This Post:

Agape (23rd March 2015), Caylen (29th August 2015), christian (22nd March 2015), Cidersomerset (23rd March 2015), Ernie Nemeth (22nd March 2015), Flash (26th March 2015), ghostrider (23rd March 2015), giovonni (22nd March 2015), Innocent Warrior (26th March 2015), Muzz (22nd March 2015), ponda (21st March 2017), rgray222 (22nd March 2015), RunningDeer (23rd March 2015), seko (22nd March 2015), Shezbeth (22nd March 2015), silvanelf (31st May 2019), Sophocles (23rd March 2015), StandingWave (23rd March 2015), Stephanie (22nd March 2015), william r sanford72 (23rd March 2015), Wind (23rd March 2015), yelik (22nd March 2015), Zampano (23rd March 2015)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member Snowflower's Avatar
    Front range Colorado Rockies, in wilderness
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,163 times in 733 posts

Default Re: What's The Purpose Of Education?

The purpose of SCHOOL is to dumb us down. Education happens outside school and is usually self-taught.

4. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Snowflower For This Post:

Atlas (22nd March 2015), Gardener (22nd March 2015), huyi82 (26th March 2015), Innocent Warrior (26th March 2015), joeecho (22nd March 2015), Muzz (22nd March 2015), RunningDeer (23rd March 2015), StandingWave (23rd March 2015), T Smith (24th March 2015), Wind (23rd March 2015), yelik (22nd March 2015)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,822 times in 534 posts

Actually the purpose of education is to define distinct differences between socio economic groups of society... or more bluntly Class Distinction and don't for a minute think that a university education automatically puts you into a higher class on the contrary it often keeps you in your place.

In this modern world we have High Class and Serf Class or Rich and Poor there is no place for middle class and that should be very evident if one just looks at the whole economic period over the last 50 years, it has been the systematic removal of the middle and the re-defining of the two ends of society.

One of the most defining ways this is achieved is through language. For example in China which is a 2 tiered system of Rich and abject Poor working class we have the language of the elite (Mandarin) and the language of the non-elite (Cantonese) Cantonese is the simplified short language for the masses Mao had a lot to do with this simplification process during his cultural revolution period.

Now think about English and how it is being simplified and codified specifically through the introduction of technology... when was the last time you "penned a letter" we all communicate via "Memo" format emails , mobile phone texting etc are all simplified coded forms of lower class English and the education systems dependence upon the internet and digitisation of archival reference material is feeding this process plus it is fully controllable.

Anyway understand that the language we use and how we use it defines us.

6. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to phillipbbg For This Post:

Atlas (22nd March 2015), Bluegreen (26th March 2015), Caylen (29th August 2015), Frenchy (9th February 2016), GloriousPoetry (11th February 2016), Innocent Warrior (26th March 2015), joeecho (22nd March 2015), seko (22nd March 2015), Shezbeth (22nd March 2015), silvanelf (31st May 2019), Wind (23rd March 2015)

7. Link to Post #4
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,600 times in 5,379 posts

People learn what they want to learn - no school or education system will stop that. Apprenticeships is the way to learn, learning side by side with an expert in the chosen field. School is only for basics and specifics - learnt in five years and done. Right now the most important lessons learned in school are: go to school every day - like you will have to do for work; authority is not to be questioned; knowledge is frozen in books - no need to analyze their conclusions; you cannot learn on your own without guidance; how to be compliant; how to gain the favor of those in power; the means to sideline others and form cliques; how boring and 'uncool' learning really is; among others. Little of what we learn in school is pertinent in our future lives and much that is pertinent to our lives is never taught - like honor, integrity, honesty, controlling finances, busting the fantasy of ' being successful' and its many attendant little deaths of naivety as the individual is disenfranchised of their false hopes and expectations.

School makes of us walking, talking automatons - good little consumers ready to buy the next gadget while complaining about taxes, politics, children, spouses, money and the state of the world in general but with no true grasp of what is wrong or how to go about changing it thanks to our woefully inadequate schooling and ingrained belief in our entitled status.
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

Free will can only be as free as the mind that conceives it.

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Atlas (22nd March 2015), Caylen (29th August 2015), GloriousPoetry (11th February 2016), Innocent Warrior (26th March 2015), janette (9th February 2016), RunningDeer (23rd March 2015), seko (22nd March 2015), william r sanford72 (23rd March 2015), Wind (23rd March 2015)

9. Link to Post #5
    Canada Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,273 times in 1,132 posts

Spending nine minutes to listen to the thoughtful distillations made by John Taylor Gatto, is relevatory.
    Gatto speaks with wisdom: [Modern schooling] "is absurd and anti-life to move from cell to cell at the sound of a gong for every day of your natural youth."
    Both television and schooling reduce the real world.

Gatto is the fellow who spoke about how fleas that were used in flea circuses were trained - their spirits were broken. The natural instinct of a flea is to be free, and so many fleas were placed in a small jar with a lid on it. Fleas would smash into each other and the lid over and over again, until their spirits were broken. THEN when the lid was taken off, the fleas no longer tried to jump to their freedom. AND they were trainable.

10. Link to Post #6
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 93,628 times in 20,439 posts

Question Re: What's The Purpose Of Education?

in my time it was quit obviously to only batter and beat down my own creative flow.

i had the wonderful mis/fortune of a bewildering early education ...
    15 schools (2 twice) in 12 years ... with a cherry topped roman catholic prep finish ...

well i could not wait to get the hell out of the school penitentiary system and off to work in the world ...

But i always knew i would go back some day and finish off the tar and feathering before i got too old ...
    when i returned i was in my mid forties ... then quit prepared to do battle with those educational elitist cowards ...

By that i mean - i was fully prepared to extract the real purposeful/benefits for the abomination we call higher education ...

And by the way i did quite well - i received honors begrudgingly from them ...

11. Link to Post #7
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,216 times in 1,274 posts

While browsing an antique bookstore, I came across a volume which I snatched up with the quickness. The book is entitled "Practical Home and School Methods - Education - Study and Instruction" published in 1917. To depict how different the perception was at the time, here is the preface; I am including it in its entirety, because it contains a position and scope that is - to my perception - all-but unheard of in contemporary education. The first paragraph is particularly breath-taking IMO. Enjoy!

Quote EDUCATION is the birthright of every child. It is the duty of those in authority to protect the child in the enjoyment of this right. The kind and extent of education are primarily to be decided by the parent, or guardian, but later the youth may choose additional training for a particular trade or profession.

The test of education is not outward prosperity, the enlargement of man's dominion over nature, or the increase of commercial intercourse. These are laudable, if they add to the storehouse of human purpose, or extend the scope of permanent happiness among men. The true test of education is in the influence it has upon the minds and hearts of the people.

The first step in education is to ascertain the present state of mind development. Having learned the capacity of the mind, the instructor begins to teach new elements of knowledge. Step by step the learner is led to associate the new facts with those previously known, both of which are called into use from time to time by tests and examinations.

Successive tests may prove that the learner is making progress in lerning the branches studied, but this is a small part of the actual accomplishment. The overshadowing importance of exucational work is in the student themself, whose power of mind and body is enlarged and vitalized. A beneficient contagion drives the impulse of mental activity from one faculty to another - from vision to the memory, from the memory to the imagination, from the imagintion to the affections, and from the affections to the will - until the whole thing is awkened. The thrill passes from the first point of contact to all the faculties, causing the remotest part of the soul to feel the impulse.

In education the environment of the child must not be overlooked as a potent factor, The mind is influenced, not only by the course of lessons, but by the conditions under which the instruction is given. The home life, the surroundings in the schoolroom, the companions on the playground, in fact, all the things heard and seen, have a vitalizing or depressing influence in the process of development. Frequently influences of which we are not conscious wield the greater force upon the mind and life of the learner.

Education, aside from the subject taught, exercises an influence upon the character. A student who is trained to mental and physical labor absorbs cardinal virtues in addition to the elements of knowledge. They acquire habits of self-control, industry, and perseverance. The assignment of lessons causes them to accustom themself to other impulses than present inclinations. Eventually, through persistent work and study, they acquire ennobling habits and sturdy strength.

The scholar themself is the grandest type of perfection in education. They become enlarged, strengthened, and improved by the mental struggle through a decade or more of years. If facts are forgotten, they may be recalled by a trained mind in a systematic order when they are needed in actual service. The facts may even be lost, but a more important factor remains, the trained mind that gathers and vitalizes them.

Huxley, the English writer, gives the following definition of a liberal education:
    Quote That man, I think, has a liberal education who has been so trained in his youth that his body is the ready servant of his will and does with ease and pleasure all the works that, as a mechanism, it is capable of; whose intellect is a clear, cold logic-engine, with all its parts of equal strength and in smooth working order, ready like a steam engine to be turned to any kind of with and spin the gossamers as well as forge the anchors of the mind; whose mind is stored with a knowledge of the great and fundamental truths of nature and the laws of her operations; one who is full of life and fire, but whose passions are trained to come to heel by a vigorous will, the servant of a tender conscience; who has learned to love all beauty, whether of art or nature, to hate all vileness, and to respect others as himself.
    The student is not inclined to measure life by years or decades, but rather by the wholesome culture of the mind. This culture brings an enlargement of power a greater capacity to discharge the functions of life, and makes it possible for the mind to range in a more expanded field. Although such mental development enlarges the duties and responsibilities, it greatly multiplies the joy of living as well as the hopes and ambitions for future years.
    Oh but if I could force educators of today to comprehend this simple yet comprehensive missive.

12. Link to Post #8
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,293 times in 2,822 posts

Education is, at it's core, distracting (among other things). What is it distracting us from? That is ultimately for the individual to discover. The kicker is that the searching is also a distraction.

It all comes full circle.

13. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member ghostrider's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,794 times in 6,634 posts

education on Earth is just mind control , programing kids to think in a box , pre-determined by those intent on keeping humanity in the dark ... memorizing information is not learning ... that's my take on it ...
    Raiding the Matrix One Mind at a Time ...

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ghostrider For This Post:

Atlas (23rd March 2015), huyi82 (26th March 2015), Shezbeth (23rd March 2015), william r sanford72 (23rd March 2015)

15. Link to Post #10
    Thanks

Daniel Quinn has my vote for figuring out what the purpose is: Schooling: The Hidden Agenda
    "There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it's going to be a butterfly." R. Buckminster Fuller

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to StandingWave For This Post:

Atlas (23rd March 2015), Ernie Nemeth (24th March 2015), RunningDeer (23rd March 2015), Shannon (7th April 2017)

17. Link to Post #11
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,964 times in 7,673 posts

All my life I have loved information and knowledge, but never did I really like school.

It was too restrictive for me, I do better on my own.

Last edited by Wind; 10th February 2016 at 13:11.
    "When you've seen beyond yourself, then you may find, peace of mind is waiting there." ~ George Harrison

18. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

Atlas (23rd March 2015), Caylen (29th August 2015), janette (9th February 2016), joeecho (23rd March 2015), Meggings (26th March 2015), RunningDeer (23rd March 2015), seko (23rd March 2015), Shezbeth (23rd March 2015), william r sanford72 (23rd March 2015)

19. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

Daniel Quinn has my vote for figuring out what the purpose is: Schooling: The Hidden Agenda
    Last edited by StandingWave; 31st March 2015 at 04:32. Reason: Oops, double post! Apologies - African networks and response times... :noidea:
    "There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it's going to be a butterfly." R. Buckminster Fuller

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to StandingWave For This Post:

Atlas (23rd March 2015), Ernie Nemeth (24th March 2015), Innocent Warrior (26th March 2015)

21. Link to Post #13
    Unsubscribed
    the foothills of le Massif Central, France
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,829 times in 1,059 posts

I wise man....

22. Link to Post #14
    Australia Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,462 times in 950 posts

Quote Posted by ghostrider (here)
    education on Earth is just mind control , programing kids to think in a box , pre-determined by those intent on keeping humanity in the dark ... memorizing information is not learning ... that's my take on it ...
    i agree, recently i found out there's many method of doing maths(addition-multiplication-division-substraction) not just typical 1 method teaches at school which against your thought. Usually you doing maths like addition from left to right but at school going right to left.

The Greatest History Lesson - John Taylor Gatto - The Truth About Your Education

i come to conclusion best education is outside of mainstream/institution.
    Last edited by apokalypse; 23rd March 2015 at 10:40.

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to apokalypse For This Post:

Atlas (23rd March 2015), ghostrider (23rd March 2015), Innocent Warrior (26th March 2015), Shezbeth (23rd March 2015)

24. Link to Post #15
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,300 times in 18,139 posts

Quote Posted by FA (here)
    While browsing an antique bookstore, I came across a volume which I snatched up with the quickness. The book is entitled "Practical Home and School Methods - Education - Study and Instruction" published in 1917. To depict how different the perception was at the time, here is the preface; I am including it in its entirety, because it contains a position and scope that is - to my perception - all-but unheard of in contemporary education. The first paragraph is particularly breath-taking IMO. Enjoy!
    Thanks, FA. I found a link with several formats: pdf, EPUB, kindle, etc.
    'Practical Home and School Methods of Study and Instruction in the Fundamental Elements of Education'

Quote Posted by StandingWave (here)
    Great article, StandingWave. Thanks.

Why Common Core Must Be Opposed

Arkansas Mother Obliterates Common Core in 4 Minutes

TN Student Speaks Out About Common Core, Teacher Evaluations, and Educational Data
    Last edited by RunningDeer; 23rd March 2015 at 11:58.

25. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Atlas (23rd March 2015), ghostrider (23rd March 2015), Innocent Warrior (26th March 2015), Meggings (26th March 2015), Shezbeth (23rd March 2015), StandingWave (31st March 2015), william r sanford72 (23rd March 2015)

26. Link to Post #16
    United States Avalon Member Dennis Leahy's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,583 times in 5,817 posts

There is a video - quite honestly, it is dry and pretty boring as a presentation - of an interview with a journalist that had access to Carnegie/Rockefeller meeting minutes. I cannot remember the journalist's name, and I have been unable to find it in a search. If anyone has a link to the video, it would be appreciated.

What the journalist found in the meeting notes/minutes was that Carnegie and Rockefeller conspired to buy-out a cluster of college-level history professors. Their first attempt failed, but the second succeeded. [They got to the prestigious historians, with the agenda of having them re-write US history - including, I would assume, showing Carnegie and Rockefeller to be "captains of industry" and philanthropists, not the tyrannical, cutthroat, sociopaths they really were.]

The journalist also found the conspiracy to take over the education system - in writing.

I'd love to see/copy this video, if anyone can find it.

-Dennis

27. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

Atlas (23rd March 2015), Caylen (29th August 2015), Frenchy (9th February 2016), Innocent Warrior (26th March 2015), RunningDeer (23rd March 2015), seko (23rd March 2015), Shannon (7th April 2017), Shezbeth (23rd March 2015), StandingWave (31st March 2015), Wind (24th March 2015)

28. Link to Post #17
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,061 times in 906 posts

Challenging question - here's a few quotes of well recognized people on Education.

“Children must be taught how to think, not what to think.”
    ― Margaret Mead

“If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.”
    ― Frank Zappa

“Intelligence plus character-that is the goal of true education.”
    ― Martin Luther King Jr.

“Ideally, what should be said to every child, repeatedly, throughout his or her school life is something like this: 'You are in the process of being indoctrinated. We have not yet evolved a system of education that is not a system of indoctrination. We are sorry, but it is the best we can do. What you are being taught here is an amalgam of current prejudice and the choices of this particular culture. The slightest look at history will show how impermanent these must be. You are being taught by people who have been able to accommodate themselves to a regime of thought laid down by their predecessors. It is a self-perpetuating system. Those of you who are more robust and individual than others will be encouraged to leave and find ways of educating yourself — educating your own judgements. Those that stay must remember, always, and all the time, that they are being moulded and patterned to fit into the narrow and particular needs of this particular society.”
    ― Doris Lessing, The Golden Notebook

“Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all.”
    ― Aristotle

“Education is the kindling of a flame, not the filling of a vessel.”
    ― Socrates

“The more I live, the more I learn. The more I learn, the more I realize, the less I know.”
    ― Michel Legrand

The best to everyone.

29. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Deega For This Post:

Atlas (23rd March 2015), ghostrider (23rd March 2015), Innocent Warrior (26th March 2015), Lefty Dave (23rd March 2015), Meggings (26th March 2015), RunningDeer (23rd March 2015), seko (23rd March 2015), Shezbeth (23rd March 2015), william r sanford72 (23rd March 2015), Wind (24th March 2015)

30. Link to Post #18
    Australia Avalon Member panopticon's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,008 times in 2,305 posts

Quote Posted by Dennis Leahy (here)
    There is a video - quite honestly, it is dry and pretty boring as a presentation - of an interview with a journalist that had access to Carnegie/Rockefeller meeting minutes. I cannot remember the journalist's name, and I have been unable to find it in a search. If anyone has a link to the video, it would be appreciated.

What the journalist found in the meeting notes/minutes was that Carnegie and Rockefeller conspired to buy-out a cluster of college-level history professors. Their first attempt failed, but the second succeeded. [They got to the prestigious historians, with the agenda of having them re-write US history - including, I would assume, showing Carnegie and Rockefeller to be "captains of industry" and philanthropists, not the tyrannical, cutthroat, sociopaths they really were.]

The journalist also found the conspiracy to take over the education system - in writing.

-Dennis
    Not much information to go on.
    Was it Norman Dodd?
    https://archive.org/details/TaxExemp...rthrowOfTheUsa

-- Pan
    "What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence.
    The only consequence is what we do."

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to panopticon For This Post:

Atlas (23rd March 2015), Innocent Warrior (26th March 2015), seko (23rd March 2015), Shannon (7th April 2017)

32. Link to Post #19
    United States Avalon Member Dennis Leahy's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,583 times in 5,817 posts

Quote Posted by panopticon (here)
    Quote Posted by Dennis Leahy (here)

-Dennis
    Not much information to go on.
    Was it Norman Dodd?
    https://archive.org/details/TaxExemp...rthrowOfTheUsa

-- Pan
    Awesome job, Panopticon! That's it! Thank you so much! Downloading archival copy now. It has been several years since I listened to it, so I'll see if my recollection about this interview is correct or if I blended something else into it.

33. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

Atlas (23rd March 2015), Innocent Warrior (26th March 2015), panopticon (23rd March 2015), seko (23rd March 2015), Shannon (7th April 2017), Wind (24th March 2015)

34. Link to Post #20
    United States Avalon Member ghostrider's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,794 times in 6,634 posts

The bigger picture behind education and thinking is , the thoughts of each person have an energy attached to them , the ET's say this electromagnetic wave goes out from human to human , from planet to planet , across the Universe ... they want us to learn how to think correctly ... they try to bring us into a cosmic balance with the Universe ... you've all seen it , a person with negative thinking can enter a room full of people and not say a word and the whole energy of the room feels the negative vibe ... flip side , a person with positive thinking enters and without saying a word everyone feels relief , or lighter , or happier ... thoughts have an energy , a planet full of negative energy will have huge problems , a planet full of positive energy will be in balance and the whole of nature will reflect it ... going out into nature one feels better because there aren't so many humans and negative thoughts generated ... early in the morning while most are asleep , it is calm , there aren't as many negative thoughts going out creating that wave that hits everyone ... we are affected by thoughts ...
    Raiding the Matrix One Mind at a Time ...

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ghostrider For This Post:

Atlas (23rd March 2015), Innocent Warrior (26th March 2015), william r sanford72 (23rd March 2015)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast