+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Monica Lewinsky: The price of shame (a talk about online bullying).

1. Link to Post #1
    UK Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,694 times in 1,016 posts

Default Monica Lewinsky: The price of shame (a talk about online bullying).

In this powerful and touching talk, Monica Lewinsky shares her experience of online bullying and public shaming, how society has been too accepting of it, and of the need for change with more empathy and compassion.

Last edited by Natalia; 31st March 2015 at 05:39.

2. Link to Post #2
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 93,628 times in 20,439 posts

Thumbs up Re: Monica Lewinsky: The price of shame (a talk about online bullying).

Thanks Natalia ...
    There's a good buzz going about regarding this recent Ted talk ...

3. Link to Post #3
    UK Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Default Re: Monica Lewinsky: The price of shame (a talk about online bullying).

Quote Posted by giovonni (here)
    Thanks Natalia ...
    There's a good buzz going about regarding this recent Ted talk ...
    That's good to hear

4. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,845 times in 876 posts

Natalia, WOW, I might have missed this outstanding talk if it were not for you!!!! It really is the fulcrum for a better internet and an upgrading of our national and global societies. I hope many Avalon members will respond to this thread with insights about our forum, too. Thank you.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to grannyfranny100 For This Post:

Becky (1st April 2015), fourty-two (31st March 2015), Natalia (31st March 2015)

6. Link to Post #5
    UK Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by grannyfranny100 (here)
    Natalia, WOW, I might have missed this outstanding talk if it were not for you!!!! It really is the fulcrum for a better internet and an upgrading of our national and global societies. I hope many Avalon members will respond to this thread with insights about our forum, too. Thank you.
    I might have missed it too if it weren't for my friend posting it on facebook! It is a really good talk, and I really like and respect the way that she owned up to her mistake without too much shame, having healed most of it (it seemed to me), so true what she said about self compassion and compassion to others. She seems/feels like a beautiful and strong lady, to me, and quite the "perfect person" to get the message across.
    Last edited by Natalia; 31st March 2015 at 16:38.

7. Link to Post #6
    Canada Avalon Member Daughter of Time's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,705 times in 1,092 posts

I admire this woman! I applaud her!

It takes great strength and courage to find a way to redeem oneself when one has fallen from grace.

How horrible that most of members of this society entertain themselves on the suffering of others!

I remember talking about the incident as it was happening. My friends and I never judged her!

Even my mother, who is from a different generation, never judged her. She felt for her!

I wondered, back then, if some day we'd hear the news that she'd taken her life. I hoped she wouldn't.

People fall in love with people who, advertently or inadvertently, end up causing them tremendous grief.

My male friends used to say that if their other choice was Hillary, they would have chosen Monica. Of course, it's more complicated that that!

I really do hope we are moving into an era of greater compassion and understanding. If only people had tried to stand in her shoes! But that's too much to ask of a society that loves to judge!

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Daughter of Time For This Post:

aranuk (3rd April 2015), Becky (1st April 2015), grannyfranny100 (31st March 2015), Natalia (31st March 2015)

9. Link to Post #7
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,296 times in 1,783 posts

I wonder how much the Republican Party is paying Lewinsky to make these public speeches. Yes, she was made fun of and bullied by the media but what did she expect?

If she had any sense of decency.... or personal integrity for that matter, she would not be out there making a spectacle of herself as she is right now.

Rest assured, we can expect to see Gennifer Flowers coming out of the woodwork to jump on the "I've been bullied by the media" bandwagon too.

Last edited by Roisin; 31st March 2015 at 18:01.

10. Link to Post #8
    Great Britain Avalon Member
    Thanks

Thank you Natalia for sending/giving us that.
    What a brave, intelligent, eloquent and lovely young woman.
    Let's hope that this broadcast produces the changes that Monica proposed and changes attitudes.
    Regards, Robert Quintrell, UK.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Quinn For This Post:

Becky (1st April 2015), grannyfranny100 (31st March 2015), Natalia (31st March 2015)

12. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member 1 flew over's Avatar
    Thanks

Natalia
    Thank you for posting this.

It took amazing courage for Monica to give this much needed talk. The degradation and shame that is now spread around using the internet is one of its greatest problems. The lives lost, the confusion and pain caused to especially the young who do not as of yet understand the brutal cruelty of others who use their anonymity in order to boost their distorted egos. I wish that there was something to help alleviate the pain in the ones who are bullied as well as the ones that think that bullying others somehow makes them safer or better.
    Thank you Ms. Lewinski.

Be Well
    1 Flew Over

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1 flew over For This Post:

Becky (1st April 2015), Natalia (31st March 2015)

14. Link to Post #10
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

I've changed my mind.... I DO feel very sorry for Monica Lewinsky though but in no way do I admire her. She's doing this for money folks.... as that's always the bottom line.

15. Link to Post #11
    Thanks

Natalia, this talk hit me so deeply perhaps because I grew up in the 1950s. By the time many avalon members grew up, much of the morals and ethics were gone. By then it was okay to do whatever you wanted and if caught, you could blame it on situational ethics. What became important was to get ahead no matter what it cost.

By the time the 1980's arrived I couldn't even go to movies because they were filled with so much violence. People were being trained to accept the crude and rude as standard and to demand even more visual stimulation to fill up the boredom and emptiness they felt.

As Monica says, with the advent of the internet, she was the first one to be tried in public. It certainly was not the era of my past where you could move to another town and start again if you learned from a mistake. I am glad she had a supportive family to help her.

Now it seems that people have to rely on internet forums to help them through. Where are their families and their friends? Why are they so isolated? Or are they not so isolated but just want to throw an online pity party where people won't know all the facts and will give them attention? And if anyone challenges them, they pull a cry baby routine. Or in a non-forum situation, they hit and run so they don't have to deal with challenges to their comment.

I feel that Monica's TED Talk has some real substance to be considered about our own behaviors. And I hope that out of the 260 views of your post that some will be back with some views of their own.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grannyfranny100 For This Post:

Becky (1st April 2015), Natalia (31st March 2015)

17. Link to Post #12
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

But why, pray tell, is she suddenly the "bully missionary" just before the next upcoming presidential election? I think she's on the Republican Party's payroll... indirectly of course. lol

18. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

Roisin, you could be right. The speech was extremely well written and if she wrote it, she is quite talented. But what is presented seems so far from the warmongering position of the Republicans that I doubt they are behind it.

Is it that you think they could coerce her because she dislikes Hillary or she wants to get back at Bill?

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grannyfranny100 For This Post:

Natalia (1st April 2015), Roisin (31st March 2015)

20. Link to Post #14
    Thanks

On the one hand we have the story that, At the age of 22, "I fell in love with my boss," and on the other we have the conspiracy theory that Monica was a plant, handled by Rahm Emanuel in order to track what Bill was up to, and perhaps compromise him.

I have no evidence either way, but since Hill is about to announce and since I doubt she is still crying a torch, I'd agree with Roisin: a big, fat check is involved for Monica.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Post:

Roisin (31st March 2015)

22. Link to Post #15
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

That's a possibility too.... the Clinton backers could be paying Lewinsky off but it's still going to look like the Republican's are behind it any way you look at it.

23. Link to Post #16
    United States Avalon Member 1 flew over's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Roisin (here)
    I've changed my mind.... I DO feel very sorry for Monica Lewinsky though but in no way do I admire her. She's doing this for money folks.... as that's always the bottom line.
    Roisin

I do not admire her either. She may have been a 22 year old doing stupid things but she also kept her dress that had presidential semen on it so I have always questioned the motive for that. As to the possibility of her writing the speech she probably had help but you don’t get to be a presidential aid if you were raised by wolves or with a low IQ.
    I do take difference with the statement She's doing this for money folks.... as that's always the bottom line. She may be doing it for the bottom line but it is not always that for many on this planet. Hopefully most of us are starting to evolve past where we can be easily bought like too many of our politicians.

Be Well
    1 Flew Over

24. The Following User Says Thank You to 1 flew over For This Post:

grannyfranny100 (1st April 2015)

25. Link to Post #17
    Australia Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,587 times in 5,273 posts

Quote Posted by Natalia (here)
    In this powerful and touching talk, Monica Lewinsky shares her experience of online bullying and public shaming, how society has been too accepting of it, and of the need for change with more empathy and compassion.

You've gotta be kidding me...

Quote She kept the 'Dress' and did what she was told...
    Now she's trying to create a new life for herself (Poor-Sod) and your taking pitty on the poor little intern...

...and What's worse is your falling for it...

Here's another show you'd probably like...

The price of Shame...(This must be an APRIL FOOLS Post) surely...

26. Link to Post #18
    UK Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Well despite any other possible things about Monica or her connections, or who may have helped her, or who she is or may be connected to, the message that she shares is a very important one for society in general.

27. Link to Post #19
    Australia Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,587 times in 5,273 posts

Well despite any other possible things about Monica or her connections, or who may have helped her, or who she is or may be connected to, the message that she shares is a very important one for society in general.
    So its not an (APRIL FOOL) post, then the joke I'm sorry to say must be on you...

TIP: Natalia, please be more careful when choosing your (Role Models)...

28. Link to Post #20
    UK Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by jackovesk (here)
    So its not an (APRIL FOOL) post, then the joke I'm sorry to say must be on you...

TIP: Natalia, please be more careful when choosing your (Role Models)...
    just because I see a good message in her talk and that she did it well, on something that is in my own heart (compassion and empathy), does not mean that I totally trust her or that she is my role model.

And, whatever she has done, she is a better public speaker than me, I wish I could be as confident at it as she is!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast