+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Planning an Infrared camera conversion for UFO sightings. Need help.

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks

Default Planning an Infrared camera conversion for UFO sightings. Need help.

I have a DSLR I plan to convert to IR to better pick up ufo's in the sky. I have one major problem. I do not know which frequency of a filter to ask for. There are many to choose from. Can anyone tell me which is best???

Thank you.

Menkaure

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Menkaure For This Post:

Agape (8th April 2015), DeDukshyn (1st April 2015), Mike (2nd April 2015), Nasu (1st April 2015)

3. Link to Post #2
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,466 times in 8,541 posts

Default Re: Planning an Infrared camera conversion for UFO sightings. Need help.

Here ya go - you may have to look for the right size. The human eye can see IR up to about 1050nm and "IR" begins at about 700nm. I am guessing that a 720nm would work well, - you may want some visible light through just for overall imaging and context (and to be able focus properly). At least that is what I am thinking ... I have never photo'd UFOs before; maybe there is someone here with real-world experience that can pipe in.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/In...1/N/4026728332

All digital cameras already pick up IR and compress to visible spectrum so your DSLR should work. Find all the tips you can for low light photography / video - this will help with clarity a lot. The IR filter will filter out most visible light and let in most IR.

Good luck and post your findings!
    Last edited by DeDukshyn; 1st April 2015 at 23:28.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Agape (8th April 2015), Mike (2nd April 2015)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

Default Re: Planning an Infrared camera conversion for UFO sightings. Need help.

Thank you... I am going to do some heavy research and this is a good start. Thanks.

Menkaure

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Menkaure For This Post:

DeDukshyn (2nd April 2015)

7. Link to Post #4
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,466 times in 8,541 posts

Quote Posted by Menkaure (here)
    Thank you... I am going to do some heavy research and this is a good start. Thanks.

Menkaure
    One thing to keep in mind is that IR filters only filter out higher frequencies (visible and UV), as opposed to a specific range. Their rating is the point where the "cutoff" begins at.
    For example - noting the chart below, a 720nm filter will try to eliminate from very dark red all the way to the UV end but allow everything the sensor can grab at the other end. A 1000nm will eliminate anything potentially visible to the naked eye, and the spectrum will be much narrower, because of the limits that your cameras sensor to go into the IR range. Higher NM = smaller spectrum, lower will be a larger spectrum. (note - may be able to find the tech specs of your cameras range - might be worth a google or two - this may help you choose a filter specific for your specific camera)

Good luck with the research!

Last edited by DeDukshyn; 3rd April 2015 at 03:02.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Agape (8th April 2015), raregem (3rd April 2015)

+ Reply to Thread