+ Reply to Thread

Thread: South Carolina shooting: Policeman Michael Slager charged with murder after video shows him firing eight times at back of fleeing black man Walter Scott

1. Link to Post #1
    Australia Avalon Member panopticon's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,008 times in 2,305 posts

Default South Carolina shooting: Policeman Michael Slager charged with murder after video shows him firing eight times at back of fleeing black man Walter Scott

South Carolina shooting: Policeman Michael Slager charged with murder after video shows him firing eight times at back of fleeing black man Walter Scott
    8th April, 2015

A white South Carolina police officer has been charged with murder after a video showed him shooting eight times at the back of a fleeing 50-year-old black man.

Officer Michael Slager, 33, was charged with the murder of Walter Scott after investigators viewed the video of the incident, North Charleston mayor Keith Summey said.

The FBI and US Justice Department have begun a separate investigation.

"When you're wrong, you're wrong," Mr Summey told reporters.

"If you make a bad decision, I don't care if you're behind the shield or just a citizen on the street, you have to live by that decision."

The incident began after Mr Scott was pulled over for a broken brake light, police said.

A video of the encounter published by the New York Times shows a brief scuffle between Slager and Scott before the latter runs away.

The video, apparently recorded by a bystander, shows the officer firing eight shots at Scott as he runs away. Scott then falls face down onto the grass.

South Carolina police officer Michael Slager after his arrest for murder

A police incident report said Slager, who joined the department in 2009, told other officers Scott had taken his stun gun.

In the video, Scott does not appear to be armed while fleeing from Slager.

After the shooting Slager walked over to Scott and handcuffed his hands behind his back, the video shows.

He then walks several paces back to where he opened fire, before returning to Scott's body and appearing to drop an object next to him on the ground.

Chris Stewart, an attorney for Scott's family, did not immediately respond to messages seeking comment.

Social media sites such as Twitter were a frenzy of reaction, mostly by people commenting that without the video, no action might have been taken against the police officer.

"I guarantee if there was no video, the evidence would have automatically matched cops versions," one person tweeted.

Added another: "Imagine how many times throughout history they got away with murder because there wasn't a camera."

The incident comes at a time of heightened tension over the deadly use of force by US police, particularly by white police officers against black men.

Michael Brown, 18, was shot and killed by a white police officer last year in Ferguson, Missouri, sparking nationwide protests.

A jury chose not to indict a Ferguson police officer for the shooting, but the officer and police chief Thomas Jackson resigned.

Since Brown's death, other killings by police have prompted protests in the states of Wisconsin, Georgia, New York and California, among others.

The US Justice Department has launched investigations into a number of police departments after shootings.

It unearthed damning evidence of racism by some in the Ferguson police department and evidence that officers targeted black residents.

US president Barack Obama has spoken out about problems with policing in parts of the country and he created a task force to try to address the problem following public outcry.

The director of the FBI acknowledged in February that racial bias was a serious problem in US policing.

North Charleston is a community of about 100,000 residents, nearly half of whom are black, according to 2010 US census data.

It is far more diverse than South Carolina at large, where black people made up just 28 per cent of the 2010 population.

Source
    "What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence.
    The only consequence is what we do."

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to panopticon For This Post:

Axman (8th April 2015), ceetee9 (9th April 2015), ChristianSky (8th April 2015), ghostrider (8th April 2015), Inaiá (8th April 2015), Jake (8th April 2015), Michelle Marie (11th April 2015), Nasu (8th April 2015), sigma6 (9th April 2015), skyflower (8th April 2015), Tesseract (8th April 2015), Wind (9th April 2015)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,319 times in 10,234 posts

Default Re: South Carolina shooting: Policeman Michael Slager charged with murder after video shows him firing eight times at back of fleeing black man Walter Scott

Well, the USA has been set to 'boil over', as that is literally part of the PLAN.

Show them who's boss, but NOT boiling over and slipping into their set-up game...which is a fascist state dark age... of a Unified north American walled off police state. Then the population 'cleansing' can begin go through it's paces.

The wars would then go forward and the de-population can begin in full earnest, all while looking like it is the fault of an insane world population.... when it is actually a contrived secret society forced condition.

The trick is to enter into the situation in full knowing of the outward signs and acts of the plan, so it can be dismantled as it attempts to enact itself.

This almost looks like it could be part of the 'jade helm' exercise, kinda like the Boston bombing which was a mix of real scenarios.. mixed with fake ones. Ie faked situations..... with the real death of real actors.

Watch carefully, regarding how it is handled, how it is labelled, how it is covered.
    Interdimensional Civil Servant

4. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Carmody For This Post:

avid (9th April 2015), Axman (8th April 2015), ceetee9 (9th April 2015), Jake (8th April 2015), JRS (8th April 2015), Michelle Marie (11th April 2015), Nasu (8th April 2015), noprophet (9th April 2015), panopticon (8th April 2015), Selkie (8th April 2015), skyflower (8th April 2015), Star Tsar (10th April 2015), Wind (9th April 2015), Zanshin (8th April 2015)

5. Link to Post #3
    Australia Avalon Member panopticon's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,008 times in 2,305 posts

Default Re: South Carolina shooting: Policeman Michael Slager charged with murder after video shows him firing eight times at back of fleeing black man Walter Scott

Protests planned after police officer Michael Slager charged with murder of black man Walter Scott
    8th April 2015

Activists have began protests in South Carolina after a white police officer was caught on video fatally shooting a 50-year-old black man in the back as he ran away following a routine traffic stop.

Officer Michael Slager, 33, was charged with the murder of Walter Scott after investigators viewed the video of the incident, a charge carrying a sentence of up to life in prison or the death penalty.

"The defendant did shoot the victim multiple times in the back after an altercation," reads a South Carolina court document.

"All this is based upon video evidence and the investigation of the State Law Enforcement Division."

The FBI and US Justice Department are investigating the shooting, the latest in a series of incidents that have raised questions about US policing and race relations.

Civil rights leaders have called for calm, and many people praised the courage of the witness who filmed the killing and gave the video to the family of victim Walter Scott.

Mr Scott's father, also named Walter, said the family was devastated by his son's death, but was grateful for video evidence of the killing.

"The way he was shooting that gun, it looked like he was trying to kill a deer or something running through the woods," he told NBC's Today Show.

"I don't know whether it was racial or something wrong with his head or what.

"I thank God they had the video. God has my back. When I saw it, my heart was broken. I said, 'It can't be.' I saw it. I couldn't take it anymore."

Mr Scott's father said he may have fled because "he owed some child support and I believe he didn't want to go to jail again and he ran away."

Without the video, he said, "It would have never come to light. They would have swept it under the rug like they did with so many others."

The person who filmed the video is speaking with investigators and will come forward publicly "at some point," Chris Stewart said, an attorney for the victim's family.

He said the incident was bigger than a race issue.

"It goes to power itself. This was a cop who felt like he could just get away with shooting someone that many times in the back," Mr Stewart said.

"It speaks to the value of human life."

The shooting took place on Saturday morning after Slager, who joined the department in 2009, stopped Mr Scott for a broken brake light, police said.

The video shows a brief scuffle between the pair before Mr Scott begins to run away.

Slager is then seen taking aim with a handgun and shooting eight times at Mr Scott's back, who then slumps face down onto the grass.

According to a police report, Slager told other officers Mr Scott had taken his stun gun from him.

At no point in the video, which does not show the initial contact between the men, does Mr Scott appear to be armed.

Slager is seen placing the victim in handcuffs as he lies on the ground, and then the officer walks back to a spot near where he opened fire.

The video then shows him appearing to pick something up, return to Mr Scott, and then drop it next to him on the ground.

Family plan lawsuit against officer

Slager is being held without bond on a murder charge that could carry the death penalty, online court records show.

Lawyer Chris Stewart said the victim's family planned to file a lawsuit against the officer, the department and the city, alleging Mr Scott's civil rights were violated.

According to local media, the victim had a warrant out for his arrest from the family court at the time of his death.

His arrest history, mostly for contempt of court charges for failing to pay child support, included one accusation of a violation stemming from an assault and battery charge in 1987.

Mr Scott's brother, Anthony Scott, said his late sibling was a father of four, and served two years in the US Coast Guard.

Slager, also a former member of the Coast Guard, had not previously been disciplined by the department.

Local media reported that in 2013 a man accused him of a stun gun shooting without cause, but Slager was cleared of wrongdoing by an internal police investigation.

He has two stepchildren and a pregnant wife.

The shooting took place in North Charleston, which is home to about 100,000 people, nearly half of whom are black, 2010 US Census data shows.

By contrast, only about 18 per cent of the city's police department's roughly 340 officers are black, local newspapers reported last year.

The incident comes at a time of heightened tension over the deadly use of force by US police, particularly by white police officers against black men.

Michael Brown, 18, was shot and killed by a white police officer last year in Ferguson, Missouri, sparking nationwide protests.

US president Barack Obama has spoken out about problems with policing in parts of the country and he created a task force to try to address the problem following public outcry.

The director of the FBI acknowledged in February that racial bias was a serious problem in US policing.

Source
    "What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence.
    The only consequence is what we do."

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to panopticon For This Post:

Michelle Marie (11th April 2015), Nasu (8th April 2015), Star Tsar (10th April 2015)

7. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,601 times in 1,987 posts

Quote Posted by Carmody (here)
    Well, the USA has been set to 'boil over', as that is literally part of the PLAN.

Show them who's boss, but NOT boiling over and slipping into their set-up game...which is a fascist state dark age... of a Unified north American walled off police state. Then the population 'cleansing' can begin go through it's paces.

The wars would then go forward and the de-population can begin in full earnest, all while looking like it is the fault of an insane world population.... when it is actually a contrived secret society forced condition.

The trick is to enter into the situation in full knowing of the outward signs and acts of the plan, so it can be dismantled as it attempts to enact itself.

This almost looks like it could be part of the 'jade helm' exercise, kinda like the Boston bombing which was a mix of real scenarios.. mixed with fake ones. Ie faked situations..... with the real death of real actors.

Watch carefully, regarding how it is handled, how it is labelled, how it is covered.
    I am in agreement with you on this one. I especially agree with the part of your post that I highlighted in blue.

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Selkie For This Post:

Axman (8th April 2015), ceetee9 (9th April 2015), Jake (8th April 2015), JRS (9th April 2015), Michelle Marie (11th April 2015), Nasu (8th April 2015), panopticon (8th April 2015), skyflower (8th April 2015)

9. Link to Post #5
    Jamaica Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,160 times in 444 posts

It looked pretty fake to me. There seems to be a determined intent to stir up racial disharmony with the white cops vs. black victims. This particular op did not appear very convincing to me, almost like a rehearsal for a psyop rather than even the psyop itself.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jake gittes For This Post:

Selkie (9th April 2015)

11. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member ghostrider's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,800 times in 6,634 posts

I'll just say it , the whole narrative of the video looks fishy , the man runs , and the officer just stands there , why didn't he chase him down ??? the guy wasn't running that fast ... it takes a trained officer 8 shots to hit someone 15 feet away ??? I've seen a highway patrolman toss a baton at someone running and take him down no problem ...

¤=[Post Update]=¤

is this another staged event to provoke the public and create martial law ???
    Raiding the Matrix One Mind at a Time ...

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ghostrider For This Post:

avid (9th April 2015), JRS (9th April 2015)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,730 times in 2,903 posts

Quote Posted by ghostrider (here)
    I'll just say it , the whole narrative of the video looks fishy , the man runs , and the officer just stands there , why didn't he chase him down ??? the guy wasn't running that fast ... it takes a trained officer 8 shots to hit someone 15 feet away ??? I've seen a highway patrolman toss a baton at someone running and take him down no problem ...

¤=[Post Update]=¤

is this another staged event to provoke the public and create martial law ???
    No, I think it's a dead black man with about 8 bullets in his back...
    We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time
    By faith we understand things which are seen were not made of the things which are visible

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sigma6 For This Post:

Michelle Marie (11th April 2015), panopticon (20th April 2015)

15. Link to Post #8
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

I watched the cel. video of the shooting, it just makes no sense, if the events went down the way it appears on the video this cop needs to go to jail and never see the light of day ever again. Cold blooded execution is the only way I can describe it. The absolute lack of respect for the life of the victim of the shooting by the shooter would indicate that cop is a violent psychopath/sociopath with zero empathy for another human being.
    I bet this guy has a past that should have removed him from the force long before this horrific incident.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Rozzy For This Post:

Michelle Marie (11th April 2015)

17. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

Quote Posted by jake gittes (here)
    It looked pretty fake to me. There seems to be a determined intent to stir up racial disharmony with the white cops vs. black victims. This particular op did not appear very convincing to me, almost like a rehearsal for a psyop rather than even the psyop itself.
    The blinding speed with which they brought charges against the cop makes me suspicious, too.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Selkie For This Post:

Michelle Marie (11th April 2015)

19. Link to Post #10
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,779 times in 275 posts

My question is: who is recording this incident -- and why can't they hold the camera steady? Seems intentionally hard to follow so that people are debating: is it real or is it a psy-op/drill.....

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to awakeningmom For This Post:

Michelle Marie (11th April 2015), Selkie (9th April 2015)

21. Link to Post #11
    Thanks

Quote Posted by awakeningmom (here)
    My question is: who is recording this incident -- and why can't they hold the camera steady? Seems intentionally hard to follow so that people are debating: is it real or is it a psy-op/drill.....
    Yes, and where is the footage of everything that happened before the man started to run away? I don't get the impression from the footage that the cameraman had just started filming at the exact moment the man ran away. I think there is more footage there, and that they are not letting us see it.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Selkie For This Post:

awakeningmom (9th April 2015), Michelle Marie (11th April 2015)

23. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Rozzy (here)
    I watched the cel. video of the shooting, it just makes no sense, if the events went down the way it appears on the video this cop needs to go to jail and never see the light of day ever again. Cold blooded execution is the only way I can describe it. The absolute lack of respect for the life of the victim of the shooting by the shooter would indicate that cop is a violent psychopath/sociopath with zero empathy for another human being.
    I bet this guy has a past that should have removed him from the force long before this horrific incident.
    The cop might could be a psychopath, but then that would make him a perfect patsy.

If the incident is, indeed, a murder then, yes, the cop needs to go to prison for the rest of his life. But if it was a drill that someone took live, then the cop is not guilty. I don't like the way the cop is being found guilty in the court of public opinion before there has even been an investigation. Just that makes me think it was a setup.

p.s. It would be interesting to know the background of the victim. Maybe he was a police informant that someone wanted dead. It happens all the time.

24. Link to Post #13
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,780 times in 2,666 posts

From Dutchsinse:
    Quote Shooting hoax being staged by police and media to try to bring about a NATIONAL police force.
    Same with Michael Brown.
    Fake identity of the victim.. fake cop.. fake justice.. all to push a NATIONAL police force.
    Don't fall for this one.
    No one was hurt.. no one died. Whole thing including the witnesses and video is faker than fake.

Quote Look what comes up when you search the address of Walter L. Scott Jr. ..... the supposed "victim" in this FAKE South Carolina police shooting !
    A known fake identity address comes up in search! Complete with fake social security number and fake fraudulent credit card #'s listed on a website???!!!!!
    https://www.google.com/search…
    http://www.whitepages.com/…/Walter-L…/Harleyville-SC/8kbnp7r
    http://radaris.com/~Walter-Scott/202239116

Took these bits from his FB page.... Dutchsinse aka Michael Janitch.

I think he's correct, it's a set-up to bring in more draconian police enforcement nationally.
    The love you withhold is the pain that you carry
    and er..
    "Chariots of the Globs" (apols to Fat Freddy's Cat)

25. The Following User Says Thank You to avid For This Post:

Selkie (9th April 2015)

26. Link to Post #14
    United States Avalon Member pabranno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,750 times in 320 posts

Notice how you never hear the videographer saying things like "oh ----" or "my god he just shot him.....". No heavy breathing or anything.
    In addition, the person who joins the policeman at the end does not seem overtly upset......... No one does.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to pabranno For This Post:

Selkie (9th April 2015)

28. Link to Post #15
    Jamaica Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Silkie (here)
    Quote Posted by jake gittes (here)
    The blinding speed with which they brought charges against the cop makes me suspicious, too.
    Certainly more blinding than the speed displayed by the "fleeing" man. LOL.

As Elaine said about her orgasms with Jerry on Seinfeld: Fake, fake, fake, fake.

29. Link to Post #16
    Jamaica Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by pabranno (here)
    Notice how you never hear the videographer saying things like "oh ----" or "my god he just shot him.....". No heavy breathing or anything.
    In addition, the person who joins the policeman at the end does not seem overtly upset......... No one does.
    Good point. Plus, if you've just seen anyone - cop, civilian - shoot someone in the back in cold blood, you're just going to continue to walk up to the fence shooting video on a cell phone? Knowing video capabilities of cell phones are pretty limited, this person was very close to the actors.

30. Link to Post #17
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,730 times in 2,903 posts

Just an average man, trying to make his way, considered a good man by those who knew him...

Man shot by police had much to celebrate in recent months
    http://hosted2.ap.org/APDEFAULT/3d28...ca34e94aca2cfe
    We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time
    By faith we understand things which are seen were not made of the things which are visible

31. The Following User Says Thank You to sigma6 For This Post:

panopticon (20th April 2015)

32. Link to Post #18
    United States Avalon Member Michelle Marie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,098 times in 2,584 posts

The truth is, from my personal experience, police are abusing their power. It appears that they are harming people all over the country.

They get a false confidence by getting away with so much for so long. The video evidence of the truth contradicts their fabricated stories. Now they are getting caught more-wake up to truth.

Speculation without information or intuition does not lead to the truth. However, investigative research and 1st hand experiences shed light on the phenomenon. We need to focus on the solution. Document the truth with video. Find out why those with police costumes assume they are above the law and can lie their way out of wrongdoing that is fatal or harmful to others.

Truth will be the Victor.

Michelle Marie
    Last edited by Michelle Marie; 11th April 2015 at 00:39.
    ~*~ "The best way to predict the future is to create it." - Peter Drucker ~*~ “To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson ~*~ "Creative minds always have been known to survive any kind of bad training." - Anna Freud ~*~

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Michelle Marie For This Post:

panopticon (20th April 2015)

34. Link to Post #19
    United States Avalon Member craig mitchell's Avatar
    Thanks

Something does not seem right about the video. I see no recoil of the gun in the officers hands or arms, and no impact of bullets on the shirt or officers body, and as the victim goes down on the lawn supposedly mortally wounded, he breaks his fall by going to his knees as if to lessen the impact with the ground. If he was so seriously wounded, would he not fall full length with a heavy impact? And it looks as though while lying on the ground before and after being handcuffed, he moves his head seeming unaffected by all the bullets in his back.

Does anyone else see these things, and do you wonder about validity here?

35. The Following User Says Thank You to craig mitchell For This Post:

Selkie (11th April 2015)

36. Link to Post #20
    Thanks

Quote Posted by craig mitchell (here)
    Something does not seem right about the video. I see no recoil of the gun in the officers hands or arms, and no impact of bullets on the shirt or officers body, and as the victim goes down on the lawn supposedly mortally wounded, he breaks his fall by going to his knees as if to lessen the impact with the ground. If he was so seriously wounded, would he not fall full length with a heavy impact? And it looks as though while lying on the ground before and after being handcuffed, he moves his head seeming unaffected by all the bullets in his back.

Does anyone else see these things, and do you wonder about validity here?
    I thought it was weird that he could lift his head up to look over his shoulder, and even put his arms behind his back, because how do you use your muscles when they are full of holes? But then, I have never seen anyone shot. I have only TV and movies as references for that kind of thing.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Selkie For This Post:

craig mitchell (12th April 2015)

+ Reply to Thread