+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Breaking: U.S. Senate Sells out America

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,845 times in 876 posts

Default Breaking: U.S. Senate Sells out America

Tell Congress to say NO to Monsanto and the TPP! - Every voice counts!

Dear Fran,

BREAKING: We just got word that a new deal has been cut in Washington DC between corporate lobbyists and the U.S. Senate to move forward with the Fast Track agreement for the Trans Pacific Partnership (TPP), the disastrous trade deal that will destroy our basic democratic rights to protect corporate profits!

Tragically, U.S. Senate Finance Committee Chairman Orrin Hatch (R-UT) and Senator Ron Wyden (D-OR) have cut a deal with the Obama administration to push this secret trade deal through Congress before Americans can learn what’s even in the agreement. If allowed to pass, the TPP could make GMO labeling in the U.S. and Europe illegal while allowing unsafe food from foreign countries with lower food safety standards to flood U.S. grocery stores.

The New York Times is reporting that in this new agreement, "Congress would have the power to vote on the Trans-Pacific Partnership once it is completed, but lawmakers could not amend it."

This is terrible news, but resistance to the TPP is growing in the House of Representatives and Congress needs to hear from you today!

Tell Congress to Vote NO on the Fast Track approval for the TPP! It’s time to stand up for democracy, not corporate profits! End the secret trade deal once and for all. Every voice counts!

As you may already know, the TPP is a new “free” trade agreement that has been negotiated behind closed doors for the past several years between an army of corporate lobbyists and trade representatives from 11 other nations. The negotiations have been so secretive that most members of Congress have not even been allowed to read the agreement.

Unfortunately, multinational corporations like Monsanto and their biotech allies are pressuring your Senators and Representatives to co-sponsor Fast Track Authority so the secret global trade deals can be decided behind closed doors without public input.

Leaked text from the deal shows that the TPP, if signed into law, will allow corporations to actually sue local governments in secretive international trade tribunals for passing pro-consumer laws, like GMO labeling or county bans on GMOs and fracking, that hurt corporate profits, effectively giving companies like Monsanto the ability to veto local, state and national laws in favor of their own corporate profits. And all of this will be done behind closed doors.

If Congress actually grants Fast Track authority to the White House, we’ll never know what’s in the agreement until after it passes. Unbelievably, Congress won't even be allowed to amend the agreement, but will simply have to rubber stamp this corporate power grab. Does this sound like democracy?

TAKE ACTION: Tell Congress: Not so fast!! Vote NO on the TPP FAST TRACK!

If the TPP passes a Congressional vote, this secret trade deal will destroy our basic democratic rights, allowing corporations to sue local and state governments and absolutely block reasonable and common sense laws to protect America’s citizens from toxic products.

Since Congress must approve any trade agreement before it can become law, the Obama administration is seeking fast-track negotiating authority to limit congressional debate and prevent consumer-friendly amendments from being included.

Click here if you believe in GMO labeling and think that secret trade deals to kill common sense laws on genetically engineered crops should be stopped! Every voice counts!

Remember, democracy is like a muscle, either you use it or you lose it!

Thanks for participating in food democracy,

Dave Murphy
    Founder / Executive Director
    Food Democracy Now!

Sign petition http://action.fooddemocracynow.org/s....560012._OkID-

2. The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to grannyfranny100 For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (17th April 2015), Camilo (17th April 2015), Caren (13th May 2015), crosby (18th April 2015), Elisheva (17th April 2015), Flash (2nd July 2015), Gardener (13th May 2015), genevieve (17th April 2015), ghostrider (18th April 2015), Hervé (17th April 2015), Inaiá (17th April 2015), jake gittes (17th April 2015), jjjones (17th April 2015), lastlegs (18th April 2015), meeradas (17th April 2015), MorningSong (17th April 2015), Nasu (17th April 2015), Omni (17th April 2015), raregem (18th April 2015), Tyy1907 (17th April 2015), ulli (17th April 2015), Wind (18th April 2015)

3. Link to Post #2
    On Sabbatical
    Thanks

Default Re: Breaking: U.S. Senate Sells out America

Hello Fran and all,

This TPP thing really is disgusting. It has been causing me some fear, so I think about it and try to unlock it somehow. A few thoughts: the only governments who have agreed to it are the usual allies of the corrupt oligarchy- which is to realize that list has much less influence than it did just a few years ago when the TPP was a more active, negotiable idea. The only country who agreed to it that surprises me is, Vietnam. This may only mean my insticts about Vietnam are wrong.

The Asia and SE Asia alliances are very strong and active now. BRICS, ASEAN, etc...Governments in SE Asia are actively talking sense and meeting, making deals, etc...You would be happy to see the progress. Not perfect, of course, but not business as usual if you know what I mean.

The US does not have high food safety standards. This is complete bull**** and I'm not sure why you would think imported food from other nations would be dangerous somehow. That's crazy. food coming from corrupt, GMO dominated countries like all of the countries who agreed to the TPP are the ones who are dangerous!

TPP activity seems to just emphasize the utter stupidity of it all. For example, just yesterday an article appeared in the Bangkok Post that Japan would stop buying rice from Thailand because of the TPP and instead buy it from the US. How stupid is that? I could almost throw rice from Thailand to Japan! Japan would sacrifice much more than relations with Thailand, but a massive alliance of China, Russia, Laos, Cambodia, and so on...No country with any sense of the future will allow this stupid, selfish "act" to interfere with the new deals and more common sense approaches that are gaining momentum every day.

Having said all of that, our big problem now is Fukushima. I hope everyone understands that it is an instinction level event happening right now. It must be fixed, but no one here has the ability. The only way help will come from the extended community depends on our own ability to end the moral abbherancy of people who promote and defend acts like the TPP.

Erich

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Erich For This Post:

Gardener (13th May 2015), grannyfranny100 (17th April 2015), Inaiá (17th April 2015), jjjones (17th April 2015), Kryztian (17th April 2015), lastlegs (18th April 2015), MorningSong (17th April 2015), Nasu (18th April 2015), Omni (17th April 2015), ulli (17th April 2015)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,075 times in 1,638 posts

Quote Posted by grannyfranny100 (here)
    If allowed to pass, the TPP could make GMO labeling in the U.S. and Europe illegal while allowing unsafe food from foreign countries with lower food safety standards to flood U.S. grocery stores.
    I don't quite understand? isn't prohibition of GMO a good thing? Or do you mean it's a cover up for "allowing food with lower food safety standards to enter the US?

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to transiten For This Post:

Camilo (17th April 2015), crosby (18th April 2015), grannyfranny100 (17th April 2015)

7. Link to Post #4
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,656 times in 21,533 posts

Quote Posted by transiten (here)
    If allowed to pass, the TPP could make GMO labeling in the U.S. and Europe illegal while allowing unsafe food from foreign countries with lower food safety standards to flood U.S. grocery stores.
    I don't quite understand? isn't prohibition of GMO a good thing? Or do you mean it's a cover up for "allowing food with lower food safety standards to enter the US?
    (guessing as to the confusion ...) Prohibiting GMO's is a good thing; prohibiting labeling GMO's is a bad thing.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Camilo (17th April 2015), Caren (13th May 2015), crosby (18th April 2015), ghostrider (18th April 2015), grannyfranny100 (17th April 2015), jjjones (17th April 2015), Kryztian (17th April 2015), lastlegs (18th April 2015), Omni (17th April 2015), Wind (18th April 2015)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,964 times in 3,473 posts

Called my two Senators and congressmen on this matter about a month ago. They also basically said "He doesn't have a position on this matter yet." Basically, they won't have a position on the matter until a few hours before they have to vote on it.

My feeling is, if you are a congressman and therefore a representative of the people and you don't get to take part in the negotiation of the legislation and have ample time to review the final paperwork, then you should automatically vote "No" on the legislation.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kryztian For This Post:

crosby (18th April 2015), Gardener (13th May 2015), grannyfranny100 (17th April 2015), Nasu (18th April 2015), Omni (17th April 2015)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,394 times in 3,448 posts

Wow I'm ashamed of my state's representative. This is troubling. As the US government is quite controlled by the corporate masters, I can't say I have confidence this will be rejected. But everything has a reaction. If this passes more people will wake up...

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Omni For This Post:

crosby (18th April 2015), grannyfranny100 (17th April 2015), Nasu (18th April 2015)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,492 times in 2,185 posts

What the Corporate Bozoes are trying to do is to get BOTH the TTIP and the TPP signed BEFORE the Milan Protocol Charter gets signed by about 150 of the UN- recognized legit world governments in October at the Milan 2015 EXPO World Fair and wreck any hope of getting it registered in the UN in November!!!

Look it up on the net.... Milan Charter ( La Carta di Milano) and EXPO 2015.

There have been appeals on the Italian public radio to push back the TTIP argeement and to sign a petition against it... Europe has been stalling on the discussions, but in January sent a counter-proposal to the US.... I haven't recently heard anything about what exactly is going on except the whole text was to be made public in March...

Yep.... governments won't have a reason for existing anymore if these things get passed.....

PS: Oh, and this isn't all just about food and goods... it's also about banking and natural resouces... but, take a look on Wiki or wherever.... and read the part about "Intellectual Property".... your thoughts/inventions/gadgets/etc. will become the property of your country/corporation.... geniuses or not, all! (oh, and Japan is stalling on the TPP mostly because of that little bit....)
    Last edited by MorningSong; 17th April 2015 at 15:21.
    "Vision without action is merely a dream.
    Action without vision just passes the time.
    Vision with action can change the world." Joel Arthur Barker

14. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MorningSong For This Post:

Camilo (17th April 2015), Caren (13th May 2015), crosby (18th April 2015), grannyfranny100 (17th April 2015), Hervé (17th April 2015), Inaiá (17th April 2015), lastlegs (18th April 2015), meeradas (17th April 2015), Nasu (18th April 2015), Wind (18th April 2015)

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

This has been brewing for several years. This has been written by corporations rather than Congress. Fast tracking means no debate, changes or amendments just a straight up yes or no. If it is approved (a yes vote), then only corporations have all the rights. A few key legislators saw parts of it in advance as it was being written. They could not make copies or take notes. If it is so secret, then it sure can't be good for the people.

Corporations have complete control. If Congress approves this, they are basically taking over Congress's job and any disputes will be resolved by a corporate tribune of "judges." It sounds insane but who knows what leverage the corporations have over Congress. Do they get bribes, get black mailed? Who knows but it is basically bye, bye our democratic republic. They can jam GMO foods down our throats and the rest of our rights up our ass. This dovetails with Agenda 21 to destroy democracies and create a world controlled by corporations.

Here is a a 2013 Bill Moyers report: http://billmoyers.com/episode/full-s...to-know-about/

Here are some questions to ask your Congress representatives.

Question number one: to your member of Congress should be, have you read the actual full text of the agreement? Do you know about the investment rules that promote job offshoring? Do you know about the rules that require us to import food that doesn’t meet our safety standards? Do you know about the ban on buy American and buy local? If you don’t know, if you haven’t read those chapters—the investment chapter, the food chapter, the procurement chapter—then you cannot vote yes to approve this.

Question number two: do you know this becomes binding US law limiting what Congress, states and local city councils can do as far as making domestic policy on all of these nontrade issues, and that not a word of this agreement can be changed unless all 12 countries agree? Do you understand that you are limiting the future of our democracy, indefinitely, on everything from internet freedom and our energy and climate policy to the prospect of having green jobs and an equitable economy? Do you understand that’s what you’re doing, i.e. throwing away your job as a Congressperson?

And then the third question is: what single piece of evidence do you have that this trade agreement is actually going to create jobs here versus lose more US jobs and push down our wages? We now have free trade agreements with 17 countries. Show me a single one of those agreements in which we have gained jobs on net. Show me evidence from a single one of those agreements that the partner countries have reduced their poverty. Show me any of the past promises that are being repeated now by the same interests — the same corporate think tanks, the same companies — to push TPP which has come true.

Also for a quick slide presentation: http://www.flushthetpp.org/

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to grannyfranny100 For This Post:

Caren (13th May 2015), crosby (18th April 2015), jake gittes (17th April 2015), johnh (18th April 2015), MorningSong (17th April 2015), Nasu (18th April 2015), spiritwind (17th April 2015)

17. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

MorningSong, I didn't know about the Milan Protocol Charter. Thank you for your Italian perspective. Obviously this is a worldwide scam!!!

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to grannyfranny100 For This Post:

Caren (13th May 2015), crosby (18th April 2015), lastlegs (18th April 2015), MorningSong (17th April 2015), Nasu (18th April 2015)

19. Link to Post #10
    Thanks

Kryztian, you wrote,"My feeling is, if you are a congressman and therefore a representative of the people and you don't get to take part in the negotiation of the legislation and have ample time to review the final paperwork, then you should automatically vote "No" on the legislation."

I totally agree with you, after all that is a totally sane response. How sane was Congress when Congress gave banksters "too big to fail" money? We must pressure them if there is any hope to kill this trade agreement. Some people say, "what the heck, I'll just grow my own garden," but there is already legislation to forbid that. And why all the NSA databanks? So corporations can have control.Eventually they will be telling us how much we can buy.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to grannyfranny100 For This Post:

Caren (13th May 2015), crosby (18th April 2015), Kryztian (20th April 2015), Nasu (18th April 2015)

21. Link to Post #11
    Thanks

Omniverse, I don't agree that more people will wake up, at least not until choice is totally eliminated. Once alternatives are eliminated, the corporations won't have to worry about people's demands interfering with their plans to control all the variables. At that point it will be too late to wake up. By then they will have control of the Internet too.We need to give them some blowback now!
    Last edited by grannyfranny100; 17th April 2015 at 17:51.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grannyfranny100 For This Post:

crosby (18th April 2015), Nasu (18th April 2015)

23. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

Yes! It is pretty much worldwide... and I hate to say it... (I really feel sick when I think of my childhood image of the "good ol' USA" and the "American Dream" and all that fluff I believed in), but it all..... (the TTIP and TPP trade proposals and shoving and heaving to get it signed) appears to be coming from the USA!!!

I would like to add that TOMORROW April 18, 2015 there will be more than 750 GLobal demonstrations going on to say "Stop TTIP!" (550 events in Europe, 74 in the USA, 17 in Asia and Oceania, 12 in Central and South America, 4 in Africa). There are more than 40 events to be held just in Italy. One million seven hundred thousand europeans have signed the petition to stop TTIP. The signatures will be collected until October.

http://stop-ttip-italia.net/

https://stop-ttip.org/?noredirect=en_GB

https://stop-ttip.org/what-is-the-pr...tip-ceta/faqs/

The TTIP (Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership) and the TPP (Transpacific Partnership) are pretty much the same "deal".....

I just noticed there are "Stop TPP" sites too...

http://stoptpp.org/

http://stoptpp.org/events/

And TOMORROW in the USA there are events to "STOP TPP" as well... WOW!

Quote Join the Global Day of Action — April 18, 2015!

People around the world are uniting against TPP. Together, we can stop the agreements that are being negotiated and reverse the negative impacts of past agreements. We can drive forward our alternatives based on human rights over corporate privileges.
    https://www.stopfasttrack.com/

If only some "Horton" god would hear us little "Who's" screaming down here!!!
    Last edited by MorningSong; 17th April 2015 at 18:07.

24. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MorningSong For This Post:

Caren (13th May 2015), crosby (18th April 2015), Gardener (13th May 2015), grannyfranny100 (17th April 2015), Hervé (17th April 2015), Inaiá (17th April 2015), jake gittes (17th April 2015), lastlegs (18th April 2015), Nasu (18th April 2015), Wind (18th April 2015)

25. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

MorningSong, wow what great links. Stopfasttrack even has 100 Tweet opportunities! Thanks, again!!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to grannyfranny100 For This Post:

crosby (18th April 2015)

27. Link to Post #14
    Jamaica Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,160 times in 444 posts

This has been brewing for several years. This has been written by corporations rather than Congress. Fast tracking means no debate, changes or amendments just a straight up yes or no. If it is approved (a yes vote), then only corporations have all the rights. A few key legislators saw parts of it in advance as it was being written. They could not make copies or take notes. If it is so secret, then it sure can't be good for the people.

Corporations have complete control. If Congress approves this, they are basically taking over Congress's job and any disputes will be resolved by a corporate tribune of "judges." It sounds insane but who knows what leverage the corporations have over Congress. Do they get bribes, get black mailed? Who knows but it is basically bye, bye our democratic republic. They can jam GMO foods down our throats and the rest of our rights up our ass. This dovetails with Agenda 21 to destroy democracies and create a world controlled by corporations.

Here is a a 2013 Bill Moyers report: http://billmoyers.com/episode/full-s...to-know-about/

Here are some questions to ask your Congress representatives.

Question number one: to your member of Congress should be, have you read the actual full text of the agreement? Do you know about the investment rules that promote job offshoring? Do you know about the rules that require us to import food that doesn’t meet our safety standards? Do you know about the ban on buy American and buy local? If you don’t know, if you haven’t read those chapters—the investment chapter, the food chapter, the procurement chapter—then you cannot vote yes to approve this.

Question number two: do you know this becomes binding US law limiting what Congress, states and local city councils can do as far as making domestic policy on all of these nontrade issues, and that not a word of this agreement can be changed unless all 12 countries agree? Do you understand that you are limiting the future of our democracy, indefinitely, on everything from internet freedom and our energy and climate policy to the prospect of having green jobs and an equitable economy? Do you understand that’s what you’re doing, i.e. throwing away your job as a Congressperson?

And then the third question is: what single piece of evidence do you have that this trade agreement is actually going to create jobs here versus lose more US jobs and push down our wages? We now have free trade agreements with 17 countries. Show me a single one of those agreements in which we have gained jobs on net. Show me evidence from a single one of those agreements that the partner countries have reduced their poverty. Show me any of the past promises that are being repeated now by the same interests — the same corporate think tanks, the same companies — to push TPP which has come true.

Also for a quick slide presentation: http://www.flushthetpp.org/
    I tried to give you a thank you on this post, but it disappeared.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to jake gittes For This Post:

crosby (18th April 2015)

29. Link to Post #15
    On Sabbatical
    Thanks

Quote Posted by MorningSong (here)
    What the Corporate Bozoes are trying to do is to get BOTH the TTIP and the TPP signed BEFORE the Milan Protocol Charter gets signed by about 150 of the UN- recognized legit world governments in October at the Milan 2015 EXPO World Fair and wreck any hope of getting it registered in the UN in November!!!

There have been appeals on the Italian public radio to push back the TTIP argeement and to sign a petition against it... Europe has been stalling on the discussions, but in January sent a counter-proposal to the US.... I haven't recently heard anything about what exactly is going on except the whole text was to be made public in March...

Yep.... governments won't have a reason for existing anymore if these things get passed.....

PS: Oh, and this isn't all just about food and goods... it's also about banking and natural resouces... but, take a look on Wiki or wherever.... and read the part about "Intellectual Property".... your thoughts/inventions/gadgets/etc. will become the property of your country/corporation.... geniuses or not, all! (oh, and Japan is stalling on the TPP mostly because of that little bit....)
    Hi, you consider the United Nations legitmate?

Erich

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Erich For This Post:

grannyfranny100 (18th April 2015)

31. Link to Post #16
    United States Avalon Member johnh's Avatar
    Thanks

The word missing from this page so far is TREASON.

Dilute the sovereignty of enough nations and what is left will be arranged into the New World Odor.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to johnh For This Post:

33. Link to Post #17
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,799 times in 2,657 posts

Omniverse, I don't agree that more people will wake up, at least not until choice is totally eliminated. Once alternatives are eliminated, the corporations won't have to worry about people's demands interfering with their plans to control all the variables. At that point it will be too late to wake up. By then they will have control of the Internet too.We need to give them some blowback now!
    I agree grannyfanny - the majority are still just hoping that the ill changes they are seeing in their lives will go away...... got news for them -- - - not gonna happen. If your lifestyle has changed at all it will continue to do so - the downward slope will continue there is no doubt about it. It is a planned socially engineered mechanism. tsk - tsk........ they will not realize that monsterzano is taking them down - one bite at a time.
    crosby

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Quote Posted by Erich (here)
    Quote Posted by MorningSong (here)

Hi, you consider the United Nations legitmate?

Erich
    hahahaha. lol....... do you?
    crosby

34. The Following User Says Thank You to crosby For This Post:

35. Link to Post #18
    Thanks

BIG UPDATE!!! WOO HOO!!!

Quote Senate votes against fast-tracking TPP
    Published time: May 12, 2015 19:01
    Edited time: May 12, 2015 22:01

Lawmakers in the United States Senate have thrown a wrench in a plan that would have given President Barack Obama “fast track” authority to advance a 12-nation trade deal between the US and Pacific Ring partners.

In a 52-45 vote on Tuesday afternoon, the Senate opposed moving forward for now on the Trans-Pacific Partnership. A procedural vote required at least 60 “ayes” in order to let the Senate host discussions on whether or not to give the president so-called “fast track” authority on the matter. Failure to reach that threshold puts the future of the trade agreement in jeopardy.

Had the vote gone the other way, lawmakers would have hosted a debate to decide whether to give President Obama the power to approve the potential deal on his own, before asking Congress to either ratify or reject any agreement. Ahead of Tuesday’s vote, Senator Orrin Hatch (R-Utah), the chairman of the Senate Finance Committee, told Reuters the possibility of expediting the process as the White House had requested “may be dead” due to lack of support soon after the procedural vote failed.

“In the future, if we see a sharp decline in US agriculture and manufacturing,” Hatch said after the votes were counted, “...people may very well look back at today’ events and wonder why we couldn't get our act together.”

“I’m already thinking that: why couldn't we get our act together?” he asked. “I have no doubt some will come to regret what went on here today, one way or another.”
    Yeah... Hatch... you, of little faith for the American people and what WE call democracy!

http://rt.com/usa/257981-tpp-senate-domocrats-vote/

Quote Trade bill fails procedural vote in Senate
    Everett Rosenfeld | @Ev_Rosenfeld
    11 Hours Ago

The Pacific trade agreement failed its first test in the U.S. Senate on Tuesday after a key Democrat said he would vote against a procedural vote to support President Barack Obama's diplomatic pivot to Asia.

Oregon Sen. Ron Wyden said Tuesday that he will vote "no" in the procedural hurdle to grant the president Trade Promotion Authority—or so-called "fast-track" status for trade deals. The final vote saw 52 "yea" and 45 "nay" votes—shy of the 60 affirmatives required to pass the procedural hurdle.

An aide to Wyden, the senior Democrat on the Senate Finance Committee, said the senator was concerned about a lack of enforcement provisions he wants to be included before going forward.

Following Wyden's announcement, Senate Finance Committee Chairman Orrin Hatch (R-UT) said the trade promotion bill "may be dead." He added that democrats are now making more demands than they had previously agreed to.

White House spokesman Josh Earnest said on Tuesday that the administration is hopeful the U.S. Senate can work through what he called a "procedural snafu."

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell needed the support of at least six Democrats to move the bill forward. Failure sends a worrying signal about the level of support for fast track, which unions, environmental and consumer groups strongly oppose, as do some conservatives.

Following Tuesday's failed motion, McConnell moved to reconsider the vote at a later date.

"We worked in good faith all year—all year long—to formulate a package that both parties could support," the GOP's McConnell said, referencing negotiations with Wyden and others.

"What we've just witnessed here is the Democratic Senate shutdown the opportunity to debate the top economic priority of the Democratic president of the United States," he added.

The Senate vote is one of a likely series of congressional hurdles to be overcome that will hinge on the support of a handful of Democrats. The White House has launched a campaign blitz directed at them in support of granting the president authority to speed trade deals through Congress.

Fast-track legislation gives lawmakers the right to set negotiating objectives but restricts them to a yes-or-no vote on trade deals such as the 12-nation Trans-Pacific Partnership, or TPP, a potential legacy-defining achievement for Obama.

McConnell, hoping to shore up support, reminded his fellow senators that Tuesday's vote simply would pave the way for debating fast-track legislation.

It "is not a vote to approve or disapprove Trade Promotion Authority," McConnell said.

He said the fast-track bill would be paired with a measure to provide training to workers who lose their jobs as a result of any trade deals. While many Republicans oppose that legislation, Democrats are demanding its inclusion.

Furthermore, McConnell said other trade measures Democrats seek could be debated as amendments to the fast-track bill.

But Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid warned that without further trade protections being incorporated into the fast-track bill, "it's going to be very difficult to get to the guts of this, the bills we reported out of committee."

Following the failed vote, Reid said McConnell was wholly to blame for what happened, pointing to the majority leader's decision to only take up some of the bills on the matter passed by the finance committee.

The TPP would create a free trade zone covering 40 percent of the world economy—making it the biggest trade deal since the North American Free Trade Agreement liberalized trade between the United States, Canada and Mexico.

More than two decades later, that pact is blamed by many on the left for factory closures and job losses and has soured sentiment toward the TPP.

McConnell accused senators who voted against the procedural vote of "choosing to stand with special interests."

Many in the Obama Administration contend that the TPP will be an international and domestic force for good, and help reaffirm U.S. global economic leadership. That sentiment extends to many in the Republican party as well.

"China is going around the world trying to write the rules for the global economy to benefit themselves," Rep. Paul Ryan told CNBC in April. "I don't think that's in our interest... We're either helping shape the global economy, or it's shaping us."
    http://www.cnbc.com/id/102672227

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MorningSong For This Post:

Caren (13th May 2015), conk (14th May 2015), Gardener (1st July 2015), ThePythonicCow (15th May 2015)

37. Link to Post #19
    Thanks

For anyone interested, I found his article today that opens another chapter of the secret international trade deals going on.... big sigh..

Quote The Scariest Trade Deal Nobody's Talking About Just Suffered a Big Leak
    By David Dayen @ddayen

June 4, 2015

The Obama administration’s desire for “fast track” trade authority is not limited to passing the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP). In fact, that may be the least important of three deals currently under negotiation by the U.S. Trade Representative. The Trans-Atlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP) would bind the two biggest economies in the world, the United States and the European Union. And the largest agreement is also the least heralded: the 51-nation Trade in Services Agreement (TiSA).

On Wednesday, WikiLeaks brought this agreement into the spotlight by releasing 17 key TiSA-related documents, including 11 full chapters under negotiation. Though the outline for this agreement has been in place for nearly a year, these documents were supposed to remain classified for five years after being signed, an example of the secrecy surrounding the agreement, which outstrips even the TPP.

TiSA has been negotiated since 2013, between the United States, the European Union, and 22 other nations, including Canada, Mexico, Australia, Israel, South Korea, Japan, Norway, Switzerland, Turkey, and others scattered across South America and Asia. Overall, 12 of the G20 nations are represented, and negotiations have carefully incorporated practically every advanced economy except for the “BRICS” coalition of emerging markets (which stands for Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa).

The deal would liberalize global trade of services, an expansive definition that encompasses air and maritime transport, package delivery, e-commerce, telecommunications, accountancy, engineering, consulting, health care, private education, financial services and more, covering close to 80 percent of the U.S. economy. Though member parties insist that the agreement would simply stop discrimination against foreign service providers, the text shows that TiSA would restrict how governments can manage their public laws through an effective regulatory cap. It could also dismantle and privatize state-owned enterprises, and turn those services over to the private sector. You begin to sound like the guy hanging out in front of the local food co-op passing around leaflets about One World Government when you talk about TiSA, but it really would clear the way for further corporate domination over sovereign countries and their citizens.
    ADVERTISEMENT

Reading the texts (here’s an example, the annex on air transport services) makes you realize the challenge for members of Congress or interested parties to comprehend a trade agreement while in negotiation. The “bracketed” text includes each country’s offer, merged into one document, with notations on whether the country proposed, is considering, or opposes each specific provision. You need to either be a trade lawyer or a very alert reader to know what’s going on. But between the text and a series of analyses released by WikiLeaks, you get a sense for what the countries negotiating TiSA want.

First, they want to limit regulation on service sectors, whether at the national, provincial or local level. The agreement has “standstill” clauses to freeze regulations in place and prevent future rulemaking for professional licensing and qualifications or technical standards. And a companion “ratchet” clause would make any broken trade barrier irreversible.

It may make sense to some to open service sectors up to competition. But under the agreement, governments may not be able to regulate staff to patient ratios in hospitals, or ban fracking, or tighten safety controls on airlines, or refuse accreditation to schools and universities. Foreign corporations must receive the same "national treatment" as domestic ones, and could argue that such regulations violate their ability to provide the service. Allowable regulations could not be “more burdensome than necessary to ensure the quality of the service,” according to TiSA’s domestic regulation annex. No restrictions could be placed on foreign investment—corporations could control entire sectors.

This would force open dozens of services, including ones where state-owned enterprises, like the national telephone company in Uruguay or the national postal service of Italy, now operate. Previously, public services would be either broken up or forced into competition with foreign service providers. While the United States and European Union assured in a joint statement that such privatization need not be permanent, they also “noted the important complementary role of the private sector in these areas” to “improve the availability and diversity of services,” which doesn’t exactly connote a hands-off policy on the public commons.

Corporations would get to comment on any new regulatory attempts, and enforce this regulatory straitjacket through a dispute mechanism similar to the investor-state dispute settlement (ISDS) process in other trade agreements, where they could win money equal to “expected future profits” lost through violations of the regulatory cap.

For an example of how this would work, let’s look at financial services. It too has a “standstill” clause, which given the unpredictability of future crises could leave governments helpless to stop a new and dangerous financial innovation. In fact, Switzerland has proposed that all TiSA countries must allow “any new financial service” to enter their market. So-called “prudential regulations” to protect investors or depositors are theoretically allowed, but they must not act contrary to TiSA rules, rendering them somewhat irrelevant.

Most controversially, all financial services suppliers could transfer individual client data out of a TiSA country for processing, regardless of national privacy laws. This free flow of data across borders is true for the e-commerce annex as well; it breaks with thousands of years of precedent on locally kept business records, and has privacy advocates alarmed.

There’s no question that these provisions reinforce Senator Elizabeth Warren’s contention that a trade deal could undermine financial regulations like the Dodd-Frank Act. The Swiss proposal on allowances for financial services could invalidate derivatives rules, for example. And harmonizing regulations between the U.S. and EU would involve some alteration, as the EU rules are less stringent.

Member countries claim they want to simply open up trade in services between the 51 nations in the agreement. But there’s already an international deal governing these sectors through the World Trade Organization (WTO), called the General Agreement on Trade in Services (GATS). The only reason to re-write the rules is to replace GATS, which the European Union readily admits (“if enough WTO members join in, TiSA could be turned into a broader WTO agreement”).

That’s perhaps TiSA’s real goal—to pry open markets, deregulate and privatize services worldwide, even among emerging nations with no input into the agreement. U.S. corporations may benefit from such a structure, as the Chamber of Commerce suggests, but the impact on workers and citizens in America and across the globe is far less clear. Social, cultural, and even public health goals would be sidelined in favor of a regime that puts corporate profits first. It effectively nullifies the role of democratic governments to operate in the best interest of their constituents.

Unsurprisingly, this has raised far more concern globally than in the United States. But a completed TiSA would go through the same fast-track process as TPP, getting a guaranteed up-or-down vote in Congress without the possibility of amendment. Fast-track lasts six years, and negotiators for the next president may be even more willing to make the world safe for corporate hegemony. “This is as big a blow to our rights and freedom as the Trans-Pacific Partnership,” said Larry Cohen, president of the Communication Workers of America in a statement, “and in both cases our government’s secrecy is the key enabler.”
    http://www.newrepublic.com/article/1...ices-agreement

38. The Following User Says Thank You to MorningSong For This Post:

Baby Steps (1st July 2015)

+ Reply to Thread