+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 5 LastLast

Thread: Cowspiracy: the sustainability secret (2014)

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks

Default Cowspiracy: the sustainability secret (2014)

Hi,
    I really recommend this documentary to all people.
    I think is great, and because of all the statistical and scientific data very educational.

It explains very good how animal agriculture is destroying the environment and why it is the primar factor in clima change, deforestation and the extinction of 1000s of species every year. And in the beginning the guys also investigate why most of the environmental organizations are too afraid to talk about it. I hope lots of people watch it and share it with family, friends, etc.

Probably most of you already seen it anyways. Did you like it? What are your opinions about it?

http://www.cowspiracy.com/
    Sorry.
    All the links on youtube have been put down.
    But I found a couple links where you can stream the video FOR FREE:

http://filenuke.com/f/Oga5p16

http://sharerepo.com/f/KGJPYZ

http://sharesix.com/f/MBnPyp

Greetings.
    Last edited by Noir; 27th May 2015 at 07:33. Reason: adding the links to stream for free cause people dont see them
    ~May the light shine with you. And within you~

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Noir For This Post:

Abhaya (26th May 2015), Akasha (26th May 2015), Aspen (26th May 2015), Debra (5th November 2015), DeDukshyn (14th October 2015), Franny (5th November 2015), Holly Lindin (23rd November 2015), Iloveyou (5th November 2015), quiltinggrandma (6th November 2015), Robin (14th October 2015), Sophocles (14th October 2015), steveofengland (5th November 2015), take (28th December 2015), Violet (7th November 2015), william r sanford72 (30th May 2015)

3. Link to Post #2
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Default Re: Cowspiracy: the sustainability secret (2014)

maybe a youtube link might be better..seriously doubt many folks will download from that link

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robinr1 For This Post:

joeecho (26th May 2015), quiltinggrandma (6th November 2015)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

Sorry.
    All the links on youtube have been put down.
    But I found a couple links where you can stream the video:

http://filenuke.com/f/Oga5p16

http://sharerepo.com/f/KGJPYZ

http://sharesix.com/f/MBnPyp

Greetings.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Noir For This Post:

Abhaya (26th May 2015), airaspect (19th October 2015), Ikarusion (26th May 2015), quiltinggrandma (6th November 2015)

7. Link to Post #4
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,293 times in 2,822 posts

....or these above link..

8. Link to Post #5
    On Sabbatical
    Thanks

Old news to many. I won't pay 9.95 to hear proof greenpeace, etc...are corrupt. Do I need to?

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erich For This Post:

joeecho (26th May 2015), Sunny-side-up (26th May 2015)

10. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,777 times in 956 posts

Is this naked advertising.... a revenue seeking venture ?

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lucidity For This Post:

joeecho (26th May 2015), quiltinggrandma (6th November 2015)

12. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member Abhaya's Avatar
    Traveling year round mostly US. And Costa Rica:)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,517 times in 416 posts

Highly recommend as well! Some mind blowing facts in there, did you know it takes on average 660-1300 gallons of water to create one burger. This is not your average sentimental based documentary encouraging vegetarianism but one dedicated entirely to the effect that eating meat has on the environment. very entertainingly put together as well! The creator, star of the film starts off as someone on a regular diet but ends up researching the results of the meat industry on the water supply and more and converts solely based on that. One of those movies that regularly drops your jaw with its insight.
    Last edited by Abhaya; 26th May 2015 at 14:05.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Abhaya For This Post:

Akasha (26th May 2015), Noir (27th May 2015), quiltinggrandma (6th November 2015), take (28th December 2015)

14. Link to Post #8
    United States Avalon Member Abhaya's Avatar
    Traveling year round mostly US. And Costa Rica:)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,517 times in 416 posts

I should add that it's worth watching just to hear the excuses of the companies that the documentary exposes, it will leave you so mad....

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Abhaya For This Post:

Akasha (26th May 2015), Aspen (27th May 2015), Holly Lindin (23rd November 2015), Noir (27th May 2015), quiltinggrandma (6th November 2015), take (28th December 2015)

16. Link to Post #9
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,202 times in 1,393 posts

HQ torrent link here and LQ torrent link here.

IMDB rating: 8.7 (no mean feat)

With the ongoing Californian water shortages, this film has more relevance than ever.

Note to the queazy: beware the decapitated duck scene. Having said that, you do get enough warning to turn away when it's about to happen.

Overall an extremely thought-provoking documentary.
    the greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated --- Gandhi

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Abhaya (27th May 2015), Inaiá (14th October 2015), Noir (27th May 2015), quiltinggrandma (6th November 2015), take (28th December 2015)

18. Link to Post #10
    Thanks

Quote Posted by lucidity (here)
    Is this naked advertising.... a revenue seeking venture ?
    Quote Posted by Erich (here)
    Old news to many. I won't pay 9.95 to hear proof greenpeace, etc...are corrupt. Do I need to?
    No, you don't need to pay to watch it, there's "free" links too.
    And no, it is not about about greenpeace being corrupt: It is about why all of these organizations are afraid to speak truth.
    It is about how the people in the world are being lied to and told "if you want to save the world take a short showers" instead of educating about the disasters the animal agriculture is doing to the planet (wich is hundreds of times worse).
    Why animal agriculture is responsible for the 90% of the deforestation in places like the Amazonas and we're not being told. How animal agriculture is responsible of the extincion of thousands species of insects, animals, etc. per Year.
    Why it is the worst and more important factor producing clima change. and nobody is being told.

It is about why you should stop eating burguers. Specially if you have children living on this planet.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Noir For This Post:

Abhaya (14th June 2015), Akasha (27th May 2015), Holly Lindin (23rd November 2015), quiltinggrandma (6th November 2015)

20. Link to Post #11
    United States Avalon Member conk's Avatar
    Language
    Southern English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,146 times in 2,998 posts

Eat insects instead! Seriously: http://chapul.com/

Insects are an extremely healthy, delicious, and sustainable form of protein. Humans have evolved eating insects, and even today, 80% of countries around the world have them on the menu in some form.
    The quantum field responds not to what we want; but to who we are being. Dr. Joe Dispenza

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to conk For This Post:

Abhaya (14th June 2015), Holly Lindin (23rd November 2015), quiltinggrandma (6th November 2015), take (28th December 2015), TargeT (30th October 2015)

22. Link to Post #12
    Switzerland Avalon Member Ikarusion's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Posted by conk (here)
    Humans have evolved eating insects, and even today, 80% of countries around the world have them on the menu in some form.
    ΓΝΩΘΙ ΣΑΥΤΟΝ
    Your ego is not your amigo (!)

23. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ikarusion For This Post:

Abhaya (14th June 2015), conk (28th May 2015), Constance (15th October 2015), Project_Buggy_Beach (3rd June 2015), PurpleLama (15th October 2015), quiltinggrandma (6th November 2015)

24. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

Howard Lyman was the ex-cattle rancher featured at the end of Cowspiracy.

From his Wiki page:

Quote Howard F. Lyman (born on September 17, 1938, in Great Falls, Montana) is an American farmer and animal rights activist who is known for his actions promoting vegetarian (and vegan) nutrition and organic farming.

He was raised as a fourth generation rancher on a farm that produced dairy and meat commodities. He attended Montana State University and graduated with a B.S. degree in general agriculture in 1961. Upon graduation, he spent two years in the United States Army before returning to work on the farm.

From 1963 to 1983 he was actively engaged in animal and grain production. The areas in which he was involved were dairy, pork, registered Hereford, chicken, range cattle, feedlot beef production, veal, grain, silage, and hay production.

In 1979 Lyman was diagnosed with a tumor in his spine. Faced with the prospect of paralysis, he vowed to return to non-chemical means of farming if he beat the cancer. He survived an operation to remove the tumor and set out to transform his land into an organic farm. He also attempted to be elected to political office, but he lost his first contest. He became a lobbyist instead and moved to Washington, D.C.

Circa 1990, again facing health concerns, he became a vegetarian and found his health improving. In 1989 Lyman had begun to investigate Mad Cow disease, which was just becoming an issue in the UK.

It was not until April 1996 that Lyman became well known. In an appearance on The Oprah Winfrey Show, Lyman made remarks which in turn led to Oprah renouncing hamburgers. The National Cattlemen's Beef Association sued Lyman and Winfrey. Both were found not guilty of any wrongdoing early in 1998.

Lyman eventually became a vegan. He has co-authored the book Mad Cowboy (1998) and co-authored No More Bull (2005) and became president of "EarthSave". Leaving that post, he became president of "Voice for a Viable Future".[1]

Lyman wrote the Foreword to Erik Marcus's book Vegan: The New Ethics of Eating (1998), and the 1st Vegan Pizza Cookbook, Mark Sutton's "Heart Healthy Pizza" [2]

Lyman also features in Franny Armstrong's 2005 documentary "McLibel", in Marianne Thieme's 2007 documentary "Meat The Truth" and in Kip Andersen and Keegan Kuhn's 2014 documentary Cowspiracy.
    The following videos share his testimony in more depth than his token but poignant appearance on Cowspiracy:

Folks, this is serious. Whilst there are many fascinating topics on Avalon, some with more veracity and plausibility than others, this topic is one of the few and possibly the only one which, if addressed by everyone at a personal level, could and probably would make the most profoundly positive difference to life on Earth.

I would also recommend the following video, Vegucated.

From it's Wiki page:

Quote Vegucated is a 2011 American documentary film that explores the challenges of converting to a vegan diet. It "follows three meat- and cheese-loving New Yorkers who agree to adopt a vegan diet for six weeks."

The director interviewed a number of people to participate in this documentary and chose Brian, who likes to eat meat and eat out; Ellen, a psychiatrist, part-time comedian and single mother; and Tesla, a college student who lives with her family.[1] In the film Dr. Joel Fuhrman and Professor T. Colin Campbell discuss the benefits of a plant-based diet consisting of whole foods. The film also features Howard Lyman and Stephen R. Kaufman. Kneel Cohn makes a cameo appearance.

The documentary addresses the resistance that some people feel towards vegetarianism and veganism, the disconnect between farm animals and the purchasing of meat, the origins of omnivorism and the ethical, environmental and health benefits of a vegan diet. During the filming, participants visited an abandoned slaughterhouse and investigated the reality of intensive animal farming in the US. Of their own accord, they chose to trespass on a factory farm to see for themselves, and became passionate about their new-found cause.
    the greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated --- Gandhi

25. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Abhaya (14th June 2015), Constance (15th October 2015), kirolak (18th March 2016), Noir (30th May 2015), quiltinggrandma (6th November 2015), steveofengland (5th November 2015), take (28th December 2015), william r sanford72 (30th May 2015)

26. Link to Post #14
    Thanks

Hey Akasha
    Thank you for sharing these videos here.
    I didn't know much about Howard Lyman myself before watching "cowspiracy".
    The last video you posted "vegucated" I'm not done watching completely yet but until now I find it very good.
    And also, this one may deserve it's own thread in the future.
    Maybe we could open up a thread about vegan diet and how and were people can get their... Protein/omega3s/vitaminb12/calcium/bla, bla, bla... in a vegan diet just to share accurate and scientific proven information with the members that are interested in it?? to learn that you can stay healthy being vegan and debunk all this myths and corporate funded propaganda against it??

Love and light
    Last edited by Noir; 31st May 2015 at 00:18.

27. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Noir For This Post:

Abhaya (14th June 2015), Akasha (31st May 2015), Constance (15th October 2015), Holly Lindin (23rd November 2015), kirolak (18th March 2016), quiltinggrandma (6th November 2015)

28. Link to Post #15
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Noir (here)
    .....Maybe we could open up a thread about vegan diet and how and were people can get their... Protein/omega3s/vitaminb12/calcium/bla, bla, bla... in a vegan diet just to share accurate and scientific proven information with the members that are interested in it?? to learn that you can stay healthy being vegan and debunk all this myths and corporate funded propaganda against it??.....
    I'd be more than happy to contribute to such a thread although I've only been vegan for about 2 years so my expertise on the subject is far from complete. However my health has improved considerably rather than diminishing so I've obviously been doing something right.
    I will say that there are other vegan Avalonians with much more dietary knowledge than me. I would suggest starting the thread anyway and hopefully some of them will chime in with their own nuggets on the subject, so go for it!

29. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Abhaya (14th June 2015), Constance (15th October 2015), Holly Lindin (23rd November 2015), kirolak (8th November 2015), Noir (4th June 2015), quiltinggrandma (6th November 2015)

30. Link to Post #16
    Thanks

Excerpts of some reviews of Cowspiracy (with links to the reviews) -

From the London Economic here:

Quote By Nick Figgis A seriously inconvenient truth, but it might be time we face it.

Kuhn and Anderson’s thrilling documentary is a rare gem in environmental film – it poses questions and actually answers them. I watched most of Cowspiracy muttering expletives under my breath. For a meat and dairy eater, whose girlfriend has been known to ask if I “want some toast with my butter,” it’s an eye opener but not in the way you might expect.

Fear not, this is no attempt to shock and shame you into renouncing sin by exposing you to grainy, covert footage of sickly chickens being sucked into a giant mincer. To start with it is a masterclass in documentary film making. Deft pacing, a dry sense of humour and a self-effacing protagonist make it eminently watchable. There’s an engaging simplicity to the narrative and data presentation which is supported by simple but beautiful cinematography.

Ok, so that’s the easy stuff. Now for the inconvenient bit. Between bouts of squirming, effing and blinding (see – men can multi task!) I had to wonder; how do you convince people to watch a film with a message most of them are going to find discomforting?.....

From The wildlife News here:

Quote COWSPIRACY: THE SUSTAINABILITY SECRET VIDEO HITS A HOME RUN

I recently had the pleasure of viewing new video of Kip Andersen and Keegan Kuhn Cowspiracy: The Sustainability Secret. The basic question these two film makers ask is why the contribution of livestock to ecosystem degradation is missing from the world’s environmental agenda. To find the answer they set out to interview environmental leaders as well as others to see if they could find the answer. The video is well researched and illustrated. But more than that, it is also entertaining. You will enjoy this video.

The first lesson they learned is that no one wants to fund a video about why livestock degradation is ignored. That was a lesson itself about the cow conspiracy. The duo were not able to find any normal sources of funding, instead they had to rely upon contributions from strangers. But they persevered and produced what I think is one of the best environmental documentaries done in recent years. What they show and document in their video is the implicit or in many cases, the explicit omission of livestock production as a major source of global environmental degradation on many fronts including water pollution, deforestation, global warming, species extinction, ocean dead zones, and more.

So, for instance, the duo interview various well known authors and scientists like rancher Howard Lyman, author of Mad Cowboy; Michael Pollen of Omnivore’s Dilemma; Will Tuttle, Environmental and Ethics author, Dr. Greg Lutis, and others who lay out the basic problem—no one wants to talk about the contribution of livestock to global environmental destruction.

This is illustrated over and over again throughout the video where spokespersons for various “green” groups are interviewed and either avoid livestock as a problem or deny/downplay its contribution to environmental woes.

For instance, Bruce Hamilton of the Sierra Club, is interviewed about global climate change. Hamilton correctly identifies fossil fuel burning as one factor contributing to global warming, but when asked about livestock’s contribution to green house gas emissions—Hamilton says “what about it?” At this point, the video discusses many recent scientific papers that point to livestock production as the single largest contributor to Green House Gas production—even exceeding all transportation sectors, yet the Sierra Club, like many other groups, simply does not identify it as a problem.

The duo has similar responses from other organizations. For instance, when interviewing Rainforest Action Network about the causes of rainforest destruction, land clearing for livestock grazing and forage production is barely acknowledged.

Their goal is not to embarrass these individuals or organizations, but rather to illustrate how the contribution of livestock to environmental degradation is too often ignored or omitted from official recognition by nearly everyone.

The movie goes far beyond the obvious impacts of livestock production such as overgrazing of rangelands, and talks about everything from water pollution (from manure) to energy use in the production of meat to the mistreatment of meat-producing animals by humans. Overall it makes a very cogent and articulate argument against meat/dairy consumption.....
    .....and in the interests of fairness, here's a less than positive review from SF Weekly, an outlet with a considerably higher readership than the other two reviews. Please note the high volume of non-sequiturs and low volume of counter-arguments within it:

Quote Burgers Are Ending the World, Says Cowspiracy

More than fossil fuel usage, more than fracking, more than overpopulation, livestock agriculture is the number one destroyer of our planet that Cowspiracy wants you to care about.

Directed by vegans Keegan Kuhn and Kip Anderson, the crowd-funded documentary reveals the "sustainability secret" which turns out to be a pile of self-indulgent, vegan propaganda.

Cowspiracy tells audiences that all the energy, water, and land that goes into dairy and cattle farming feeds into the gross amount of methane gas produced, and that is what is killing the planet. It's also what no environmental groups want to talk or know about, or so the film claims.

Focused on Anderson and his endeavors to get to the bottom of this agricultural mishappening, the film didn't teach me anything I hadn't already learned in my high school Advanced Placement Environmental Studies class. The documentary states that 660 gallons of water is needed to produce one hamburger. In addition to keeping the livestock hydrated, the water also goes into the feed they consume. Besides water, a lot of space is dedicated to farming animals, such as parts of the Amazonian Rainforest for cattle. The more trees bulldozed to make way for more cows, the less oxygen is produced and replaced by methane (basically cow farts).

Dressed down in plain, wrinkly tees and a dirty baseball cap (though he uses a Macbook Pro and has a San Francisco home with a beautiful view), Anderson visits Greenpeace, Sierra Club, and other environmental groups, as well as numerous farms and government officials. It's true that only one of the representatives says that livestock agriculture is the biggest issue and he did stump many of them with his questions, making them look stupid.

The "cowspiracy" Anderson is unfolding is also pretty basic: Agriculture is a business that's based on taking advantage of people's enjoyment of meat to the detriment of the planet.

Completely disappointed in his environmental peers for disregarding cow farts as Earth's nemesis, Anderson even looked at his Al Gore poster with disdain as he took it down.

The between-the-lines thesis of "meat eaters are the enemy" is backed by born-again vegans and former ranchers and farmers. Several clips of poaching and butchering animals reinforce this sentiment. There's even an unflattering shot of a heavy-set woman, a representative of Animal Agriculture Alliance, for what seemed like fat-shaming purposes (the audience came alive with laughter over the wide-angle shot). The film even goes to bash vegetarians since they're consumers of the delicious, but forbidden, dairy products. No one is safe from the vegan filmmakers' wrath.

One of the closing images is Anderson petting a cow with his voiceover saying "Instead of eating others, I'll eat for others." If that wasn't a complete self-pat-on-the-back, I don't know what is.

As I leaving the theater, a homeless woman asks for spare change so she "can buy a hamburger." Maybe Anderson could convince her to eat something else.

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Abhaya (14th June 2015), kirolak (18th March 2016), Noir (4th June 2015), quiltinggrandma (6th November 2015)

32. Link to Post #17
    Thanks

Many people, myself included, have been reluctant to fully comprehend and accept some of the stat's shared by those in this documentary, so I was relieved to find that on the Cowspiracy website, there is an exhaustive list of links supporting ALL claims made within the movie, no matter how seemingly unbelievable and sensationalistic.

Please take the time to read and digest and then, if you are satisfied with the validity of the research, make the appropriate changes in your life....or don't.

A somewhat related thread here

33. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Abhaya (14th June 2015), kirolak (8th November 2015), Noir (27th June 2015), quiltinggrandma (6th November 2015), steveofengland (5th November 2015), take (28th December 2015)

34. Link to Post #18
    Thanks

Interview with Cowspiracy director and protagonist, Kip Anderson:

35. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

kirolak (18th March 2016), Noir (21st June 2015), quiltinggrandma (6th November 2015), steveofengland (5th November 2015), william r sanford72 (22nd November 2015)

36. Link to Post #19
    Thanks

So I just checked the thanks count for the OP and it's 4. I appreciate the documentary's not about jump rooms or geopolitics but seriously, 4? out of 9320 members? Folks, this could well be the most positively transformative information for us and the planet, so come on, check it out.

300MB torrent link

2.81GB torrent link

PM me if these links don't work in your region and I'll try and find ones which do.

37. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Holly Lindin (23rd November 2015), Inaiá (14th October 2015), Noir (18th October 2015), quiltinggrandma (6th November 2015), Robin (14th October 2015), Sophocles (14th October 2015), steveofengland (5th November 2015), take (28th December 2015)

38. Link to Post #20
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,438 times in 3,321 posts

This brought me to my knees...
    Everything we have ever known about sharks needs to be re-thunked.
    Sharkwater documentary by Rob Stewart

I then watched this..

Incredibly inspiring.

Rob Stewart at a Tedtalk. Sharkwater and rise again.

**I just realised that this may be off-topic to Cowspiracy. I'll delete or move elsewhere if so?
    Last edited by Constance; 15th October 2015 at 07:00.

39. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Akasha (16th October 2015), kirolak (15th October 2015), Noir (18th October 2015), quiltinggrandma (6th November 2015), seko (7th November 2015)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 5 LastLast