Thread: Facts of Matter

1. Link to Post #1
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 95,902 times in 15,481 posts

Default Facts of Matter

Scientists discover whole new state of matter

By: Bryan Nelson Thu, May 14, 2015 at 09:27 PM

This bizarre-looking, otherworldly material represents a new state of matter. (Photo: Julian Litzel/Wiki)

The beautiful, hovering, crystalline material shown above is not a rare alien element. Rather, it represents a newly discovered state of matter entirely, reports Motherboard.

Quote Referred to as a 'Jahn-Teller metal,' it could offer breakthroughs in the science of superconductivity.
    Most people are familiar with some of the common states of matter: solids, liquids and gases. Scientists also recognize a fourth state of matter — plasma — that is commonly observable here on Earth, as well as a host of other states that can only be created in the lab, such as Bose–Einstein condensates and neutron-degenerate matter. Jahn-Teller metals can now be added to this list, a state which appears to have the properties of an insulator, superconductor, metal and magnet all wrapped into one.

It's the material's superconductivity which might be the most interesting trait, however. It has the potential to achieve superconductivity at a relatively high critical temperature ("high" as in -135 degrees Celsius as opposed to the sub -243.2 degrees Celsius required by many ordinary metallic superconductors), which is significant for the science of superconductivity. Superconductors conduct electricity without resistance, so they have the potential to revolutionize how we use and produce energy. But these technologies become far more feasible if developed using high-temperature superconductivity.

A team led by chemist Kosmas Prassides from Tokohu University in Japan produced the new state of matter by introducing rubidium into carbon-60 molecules — more commonly known as "buckyballs" — which altered the distance between molecules. This essentially ramps up the pressure inside the material, transforming it from an insulator to a metal.

What the researchers observed, however, was that when an insulator becomes a metal, there is a transitional phase where the molecules hang on to their old shapes. So the material still looks like an insulator, but electrons nevertheless manage to hop around freely as if it were a conductor. It's this transitional phase where the material takes the form of a Jahn-Teller metal, a state which is both an insulator and conductor at the same time.

Of course, it will take oodles of more study before this new state of matter might be reasonably controlled and understood before any real-life, revolutionary applications can be developed out of it. But if you're a geek for science it's impossible not to be excited by this discovery — a new state of matter! The potential breakthroughs in the science of superconductivity alone is reason to feel exhilarated.

Related on MNN:
    "La réalité est un rêve que l'on fait atterrir" San Antonio AKA F. Dard

Troll-hood motto: Never, ever, however, whatsoever, to anyone, a point concede.

2. The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

Agape (26th May 2015), betoobig (26th May 2015), Daughter of Time (26th May 2015), Fellow Aspirant (27th May 2015), fourty-two (26th May 2015), Gaia (27th May 2015), Jake (26th May 2015), Jean-Marie (26th May 2015), joeecho (26th May 2015), Johnny (26th May 2015), Lefty Dave (27th May 2015), Magnus (26th May 2015), Matt P (26th May 2015), Octavusprime (26th May 2015), RunningDeer (26th May 2015), sandy (26th May 2015), Snookie (26th May 2015), Sophocles (26th May 2015), StandingWave (27th May 2015), william r sanford72 (27th May 2015), Zampano (26th May 2015)

3. Link to Post #2
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,646 times in 689 posts

Default Re: Facts of Matter

Is this superconductive material something that could be used to create Cold Fusion?

Sorry, I'm just a lay person & not versed in these things, but I remember being taught about Ponds & Fleishman's claims they had created cold fusion when I was in high school. When I heard their discovery was debunked, I didn't believe it, always thought the discovery was being covered up.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Snookie For This Post:

Fellow Aspirant (27th May 2015), fourty-two (26th May 2015), Hervé (26th May 2015), Johnny (26th May 2015)

5. Link to Post #3
    Canada Avalon Member Fellow Aspirant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,595 times in 1,002 posts

Not to derail Herve's wonderful post, but I thought I could offer some relevant info re: the Pons-Fleischman cold fusion debunking. The "Hoax!" charge was led by a scientific 'hit man' by the name of Steven Jones. He did a good enough job of muddying the claims and yelling loudly (literally) at conferences held by Pons & Fleischman so that the scientific community and the MSM turned away from what was actually a solid claim. Interestingly ( ) Jones was the same man that jumped into the fray to debunk all of Dr. Judy Woods' claims about free energy having been accessed to destroy the World Trade Centre. Her take on this agent of disruption is on her site. Here's a link:

http://drjudywood.com/articles/JJ/JJ7.html

Somebody doesn't want "free energy" to be taken seriously, and I don't believe that Jones is on his own in this regard. I'm waiting to see what he attacks next.

Quote Posted by Snookie (here)
    Is this superconductive material something that could be used to create Cold Fusion?

Sorry, I'm just a lay person & not versed in these things, but I remember being taught about Ponds & Fleishman's claims they had created cold fusion when I was in high school. When I heard their discovery was debunked, I didn't believe it, always thought the discovery was being covered up.
    And now, after this interesting diversion, it's back to Herve!

Brian
    A human being is a part of the whole, called by us "Universe," a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separate from the rest—a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness.

Albert E.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fellow Aspirant For This Post:

Gaia (27th May 2015), Hervé (26th May 2015), Johnny (26th May 2015), lucidity (26th May 2015), Snookie (27th May 2015)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,784 times in 3,539 posts

I know if they use it for solar it will generate more power in a smaller space.

Are they about to release the energy box, Greer mentioned 8 years ago?

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Lifebringer For This Post:

Gaia (27th May 2015), Hervé (26th May 2015), Johnny (26th May 2015), lucidity (26th May 2015), Snookie (27th May 2015)

+ Reply to Thread