+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Canadians irked by insensitive and incompetent immigration attitude

1. Link to Post #1
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 times in 699 posts

Default New Canadians irked by insensitive and incompetent immigration attitude

Hello Everyone:
    This is an article about a government that truly has become dictators! I know because I am living this along with the rest of the hundreds of thousands of people involved in this dictatorship.
    Everything in this article is TRUE! They have missed a few good points such as until very recently if you call the "immigration call centre" they would just hang up on you after going through 10-15 minutes of push 1, then push 4, then wait for our lovely message, then push 3 and so on.
    If you could talk to an immigration officer for 5 minutes or less you could have everything completed as per what they want in the application and have your application approved in less than a year. Unfortunately jason kenney left his legacy on the immigration department as all departments he has touched with destruction and longer wait lines. From 2-3 years maximum to upto 10 years for most things involving immigration. We are a number to the dictator PC government and not very important numbers this pc government thinks because they have broken everything they have touched. SHAME ON THE PC's! Remember this is not the Canadian Government. This is the harper government. This is where everything has gone to hell in a hand basket!
    chancy

link:
    http://metronews.ca/news/canada/1382...itude/?ref=yfp

article:
    New Canadians irked by insensitive and incompetent immigration attitude
    By Staff Torstar News Service -June 4, 2015

Torstar News Service Djordje Momcilovic sponsored his widowed mother, Nevenka, to become a Canadian permanent resident in 2008. The application has yet to be processed.

When Djordje Momcilovic’s father died in Croatia in 2007, the Mississauga man invited his widowed mother to visit and applied to sponsor her to live with him here.

Seven years later, Nevenka Momcilovic, now 76, is still waiting for a decision on her permanent residency application. Meanwhile, she must renew her visitor visa every year to stay in Canada.

In December, the elderly woman received a letter from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) telling her she would have to leave Canada by Jan. 15 because her family had unknowingly paid only the old $75 visa renewal fee, which had been raised to $200 a year ago.

“I thought that this was an honest mistake and oversight and that reasonable people would review Nevenka’s case and at the very least extend her stay for a few months,” said Edwin Frank, a neighbour who is helping the family sort out the immigration problem.

Instead, Frank, whose own family came from Lithuania, was lectured by immigration officials that Momcilovic should have read the fine print and was told that the decision denying the woman’s visitor visa was final.

“I was ashamed, as a first-generation Canadian, that a federal government department can have such an insensitive and incompetent attitude and process that apparently can’t easily be appealed,” said Frank, an IT consultant.

“I wonder how many other families have experienced the insensitive and seemingly inhuman approach of CIC. These are families that are being torn apart. I feel that Canadians deserve to know what is occurring at CIC.”

While the Conservative government has invested resources in expediting the processing of skilled immigrants, investors, refugees and people slated for deportation, wait times keep growing for family reunification programs.

Currently, it takes nearly four years (47 months) simply to assess a sponsor’s eligibility to bring in parents and grandparents. The aging would-be immigrants then have to wait years for their own assessment at visa posts abroad.

To sponsor a husband or wife already living in Canada takes 27 months. To renew a permanent resident card, it’s a minimum of 67 days; for citizenship, at least two and up to three years; and for eligible live-in caregivers to receive permanent status (so their spouses and kids can finally join them here), 44 months.

“I’m a proud Canadian and grateful for the opportunities this country has given me,” said Djordje Momcilovic, 48, an occupational health and safety consultant. “But I’m not proud that the Canadian government is promoting family values and reunion but in fact it is keeping and tearing families apart.” Momcilovic sought help from his local MP to temporarily delay his mother’s removal.

Immigration Minister Chris Alexander’s office said Canada will admit about 70,000 people as permanent residents under the family class in 2015.

“Anecdotal accounts are not necessarily more broadly representative or, unfortunately, even factual in some cases,” said Alexander’s spokesperson, Kevin Menard. “Certainly, each case is unique, and each is assessed on its merits based on the information applicants provide to officials.

“We are working to eliminate backlogs and reduce processing times of all kinds … Our government is committed to reuniting as many spouses and partners as possible, as quickly as possible, while ensuring permanent resident targets are met for all immigration streams.”

After learning how long she’d have to wait (then 90 days) to get her permanent resident card renewed, Toronto resident Kerstin Mulfinger submitted her application last July. She figured that was enough time to provide a cushion before her ID card expired at the end of the year.

The 44-year-old German immigrant wants to become a citizen, but she’s been waiting for that application to make its way through the system for two-and-a-half years. She had to renew the permanent resident card so she could travel for work as a trade-fair project manager.

“It’s extremely frustrating, dealing with immigration,” said Mulfinger, who first came here in 2003 through a young worker exchange program and got her permanent resident status in 2009, under the Canadian Experience Class. “You try to talk to someone, but no one can give you proper information.

“They just have this sense of indifference and arrogance. I just feel criminalized, as if I’d done something wrong.”

As her next travel assignment in early February drew closer and the new card still hadn’t arrived, Mulfinger contacted Torstar News Service, MP Peggy Nash and Immigration Minister Chris Alexander out of desperation. Finally, in late January, she received an email from Alexander’s office that her new permanent resident card had been approved and issued.

Hazel Penullar came to Canada from the Philippines in 2007 as a live-in caregiver and applied for permanent resident status in July 2010, as soon as she met the employment requirement. Today, the mother is still waiting to get her papers and be joined by her daughter, Denise, 17, and son, Jabez, 9.

“I do call the immigration call centre to follow up on our application, but get the same answer all the time: ‘Wait,’” said Penullar, 40, who now runs a bagel shop in Toronto. “Four-and-a half years are not enough for them to process our papers. How could that be so complicated?

“I don’t know what to do anymore, and I don’t know where to go. This situation of ours and the feeling of waiting are killing me softly.”

Due to the long delays, her husband has had to undergo two medical exams required for the application, at $240 a pop, because the results were considered outdated.

“If only the immigration employees and Minister Alexander (were to) experience the same status that we are experiencing right now, they will for sure also be furious and sad about what has been happening.”

Toronto immigration lawyer Guidy Mamann said the work culture at the department has become more rigid and inflexible since the Conservatives came to power in 2006.

“The government has changed the rules to chip away the discretionary power of the officers for them to do the right thing,” said Mamann, a former immigration officer.

“Immigration officers used to sign their letters, but now they may only put their initials there. Everything is centralized. There is more disconnect and less accountability between our clients and decision-makers these days.”

Andrew Cash, the NDP’s multiculturalism critic, said MPs’ constituency offices are inundated with requests for help in dealing with immigration problems day in, day out.

“We see all manner of stories that really break your heart and are costly for Canada,” said Cash. “This government has failed to deal with the backlogs, and it is wreaking havoc in people’s lives.

“Right now, our bureaucracy is in a very tough time. We are seeing it not just at (Citizenship and Immigration Canada) but in other departments and ministries, where more and more power and control is concentrated at the minister’s office.”

Subject: Nadia bongelli On 2015-01-22, at 6:12 PM, "Keung, Nicholas" nkeung@thestar.ca wrote: fornick.JPG
    Nadia Bongelli of Toronto and her American husband, Julian Doiron, say the wait time for their spousal sponsorship application has tripled since they applied last February. “We are not numbers,” says Doiron. “They need to recognize the humanity behind it all.”(Torstar News Service)

Toronto’s Nadia Bongelli, 26, and her American husband, Julian Doiron, 24, know first-hand what it’s like to deal with the seemingly uncaring immigration bureaucracy.

The two met in 2011 and were married in 2013. Doiron moved to Canada last February and applied for permanent residency under the inland spousal sponsorship program. The wait time to assess his wife’s eligibility to sponsor him, originally stated as six to eight months, has grown to 17 months.

Last June, Doiron suffered a collapsed lung and had to undergo emergency surgery to put in a chest tube. The care cost the couple $25,000 because of the delays in their sponsorship application.

“It is so hard to plan your life,” said Doiron, who has an undergraduate degree in art education from the University of Arizona. “It’s like a dead spot. None of us wants to be a burden. My wife is here. Her family is here. This is my new home. I want to make progress here.

“We are not numbers. We are people who come in different shapes and sizes. They need to recognize the humanity behind it all.”

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to chancy For This Post:

bojancan (6th June 2015), Gaia (4th June 2015), Gardener (6th June 2015), Hervé (4th June 2015), Loren (4th June 2015), Nasu (4th June 2015), sandy (5th June 2015), seko (6th June 2015), sigma6 (5th June 2015), Snoweagle (4th June 2015), ulli (6th June 2015)

3. Link to Post #2
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,488 times in 1,724 posts

Default Re: New Canadians irked by insensitive and incompetent immigration attitude

There is no compassion in a Harper Governement. It's all a business and who has the most money to buy a citizenship. Harper wants us all to understand Canada is no longer seeking to be a "Mister Nice Guy" on the World stage.

He's turning the country into snob like Republic where we only allow one thing in. Money and conservative thinking businesses. Under the Harper governement, Canada has lost its heart!

Thank for posting it Chancy.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gaia For This Post:

chancy (4th June 2015), Hervé (4th June 2015), seko (6th June 2015), sigma6 (5th June 2015)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,692 times in 8,940 posts

Default Re: New Canadians irked by insensitive and incompetent immigration attitude

All this is true, I have a friend working at Immigration Canada and he is himself amazed and ashamed at what is going on.
    How to let the desire of your mind become the desire of your heart - Gurdjieff

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

chancy (4th June 2015), Hervé (4th June 2015), seko (6th June 2015)

7. Link to Post #4
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Hello Everyone: I just posted this on another thread but it is applicable to this thread also:
    There is a way out of this and to recover. It's called kick the pc government out of Ottawa and get a strongly minority government in. When a party and man such as harper have ultimate power it has gone to his head and the heads of the politicians to think they can go anything they want. This is due to a majority government now in power. There is a way to recover and recover extremely fast....KICK the harper government OUT!
    NEVER let the pc party have this much power again! This party has done more harm than the rest of the governments in Canadian history. This was the party that said they would follow their mandate and make Canada a better place to live and raise a family. What we got was a dictator! Time for a change just like the huge change in Alberta. Even the premier who thought he would win again (prentice) QUIT ALL POLITICS and ran home with his tail between his legs. Now that's what needs to happen federally.
    chancy

8. The Following User Says Thank You to chancy For This Post:

Gaia (5th June 2015)

9. Link to Post #5
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,486 times in 1,711 posts

I have a sneaking suspicion that politicians in North America and in Europe and other parts of the world are being compromised, given an ultimatum to play ball or else. They don't seem to have the peoples interests at heart.

Who or what are they controlled by, that is the question?
    We need to find out if we can.

I believe that it is a world wide problem. The signs are everywhere but, not visible unless you really pay a lot of attention.
    It's a feeling that things are just not right.

Does anyone else feel that way?
    Question Everything, always speak truth... Make the best of today, for there may not be a tomorrow!!! But, that's OK because tomorrow never comes, so we have nothing to worry about!!!

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to East Sun For This Post:

chancy (5th June 2015), sandy (5th June 2015), seko (6th June 2015)

11. Link to Post #6
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by East Sun (here)
    I have a sneaking suspicion that politicians in North America and in Europe and other parts of the world are being compromised, given an ultimatum to play ball or else. They don't seem to have the peoples interests at heart.

I believe that it is a world wide problem. The signs are everywhere but, not visible unless you really pay a lot of attention.

Hello East Sun: I have to agree with You! There is someone or more than likely an organization that makes sure everyone is following their agenda and not the peoples. Alex Jones believes it's the bilderberg group. I have no idea whos running the show but they are sure getting to be a real pain in the a**.
    chancy

12. The Following User Says Thank You to chancy For This Post:

sandy (5th June 2015)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 times in 1,310 posts

We all need to prepare to stop participating as much as possible......

stop consuming and live simple lives and when we all get with the self empowerment paradigm the system fails. We then truly begin to not only heal humanity but Mother Nature too!! No more talking, it is time for walking and walking away from the corrupt systems in every way possible................
    Love and Light Always/Sandy

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sandy For This Post:

Gaia (5th June 2015), Gardener (6th June 2015), seko (6th June 2015), Wookie (8th June 2015)

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,729 times in 2,903 posts

Quote Posted by chancy (here)
    Hello Everyone: I just posted this on another thread but it is applicable to this thread also:
    There is a way out of this and to recover. It's called kick the pc government out of Ottawa and get a strongly minority government in. When a party and man such as harper have ultimate power it has gone to his head and the heads of the politicians to think they can go anything they want. This is due to a majority government now in power. There is a way to recover and recover extremely fast....KICK the harper government OUT!
    NEVER let the pc party have this much power again! This party has done more harm than the rest of the governments in Canadian history. This was the party that said they would follow their mandate and make Canada a better place to live and raise a family. What we got was a dictator! Time for a change just like the huge change in Alberta. Even the premier who thought he would win again (prentice) QUIT ALL POLITICS and ran home with his tail between his legs. Now that's what needs to happen federally.
    chancy
    Harper was supposed to have his a** kicked out when the rest of the country, out of desperation agreed to a coalition of all the opposition just to make sure... then the real game was exposed when the Queen 'stepped in' and vetoed their coalition and attempted expulsion of Harper... proving Harper was a plant and a British stooge all along... an agent... a tool, a sellout... he isn't a leader, he's an order taker... a trained actor...
    We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time
    By faith we understand things which are seen were not made of the things which are visible

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sigma6 For This Post:

Gardener (6th June 2015)

17. Link to Post #9
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by chancy (here)
    Quote Posted by East Sun (here)

Hello East Sun: I have to agree with You! There is someone or more than likely an organization that makes sure everyone is following their agenda and not the peoples. Alex Jones believes it's the bilderberg group. I have no idea whos running the show but they are sure getting to be a real pain in the a**.
    chancy
    It gets crazier the more you get into it. When you know about the bloodlines and what they are and link the dots what seemed ludicrous
    in the past becomes reality.

To me it is fairly evident that we as humans are in a tough spot. Mostly because we have been kept in the dark for so long we are clueless.
    It is up to the ones who have some idea of what is happening to keep vigilance on things as they occur in politics because politicians are not really on our side---in a sense they can't be or they are out.

Well, that's my take on it, anyway.
    Question Everything, always speak truth... Make the best of today, for there may not be a tomorrow!!! But, that's OK because tomorrow never comes, so we have nothing to worry about!!!

18. Link to Post #10
    United States Avalon Member Snowflower's Avatar
    Front range Colorado Rockies, in wilderness
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,163 times in 733 posts

It doesn't stop the horror just to switch political parties. One party against another is just a dog and pony circus. The only solution is total collapse. It's called God hitting the start over button.

19. Link to Post #11
    Language
    English
    Thanks

We know that politicians are not going to be the answer to anything -- as I said, they are controlled, but while they are controlling we need to let them know we know they are controlled.

Problem is that the majority of the population are beyond being woken up. It is up to the few who 'know' to do something, but what? It seems hopeless but we have to put our heads together and brainstorm--any geniuses out there? -- the world needs you.
    Last edited by East Sun; 7th June 2015 at 02:37.

+ Reply to Thread