+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 43 FirstFirst 1 19 29 39 43 LastLast

Thread: All Things Vegan!

1. Link to Post #561
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,659 times in 8,694 posts

Default Re: All Things Vegan!

Its a tough topic, when it can't be discussed from all angles with out push back.

Quote Posted by Akasha (here)
    Callista, I appreciate that you were “only trying to be helpful” but helpful to who?
    Definitely me! I had questions right away after reading bills post.
    Last edited by TargeT; 25th May 2017 at 14:19.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Akasha (27th May 2017), Alan (1st September 2017), Callista (25th May 2017), Mike (5th October 2017), StandingWave (25th May 2017)

3. Link to Post #562
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,162 times in 1,389 posts

Before you buy your next pack of bacon........

".....Industrial-scale pig production is not the exception, it is the norm....."
    the greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated --- Gandhi

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Alekahn2 (9th July 2017), Bill Ryan (26th May 2017), Mike (5th October 2017)

5. Link to Post #563
    Thanks

Quote .....Nearly 20% of cancer cases arising worldwide can be linked to infectious agents, including viruses.....
    Cancer causing polyoma viruses discovered in meat can survive cooking and pasteurization.

Watch the following video and chew over the information before tucking into your next steak or burger (unless its one of these or these)

By the way, have any of you lucky folk over the pond tried an Impossible / Beyond Meat burger yet? If so, please share your experience here!
    the greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated --- Gandhi

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Mike (5th October 2017)

7. Link to Post #564
    Thanks

Dairy Farmer Shuns 'Intensive' Methods - And Gives Cows To Sanctuary Instead

The farmer says he 'couldn't bear' to kill the animals - so he re-homed them in a sanctuary

Quote Vegetarian farmer Jay Wilde has given his herd of 59 cows to a sanctuary so he can concentrate on arable farming.

Wilde inherited the family dairy operation but turned to beef farming after deciding that dairy is too intensive for the animals.

He says: “We stopped producing dairy because it was so arduous. To take the cow’s milk, you have to separate her from her baby. This is really difficult. Obviously, the cows get very upset when they are separated. It takes them a long time to get over.

"Farmers usually try to keep the calves well away from the cows so after separation they can’t communicate back and forth and prolong the agony.”

Getting to know the animals inspired him to stop eating meat.“Cows are conscious of what goes on around them – they have personalities and an inner life," he says.

"They’re not just units of food. Knowing them personally makes it more difficult to think about eating them.

“I began to see that cows recognise each other, and they’ve got very good memories. They experience a range of emotions – they can be sad, happy, bored or excited. They do also have facial expressions. You can tell what a cow is thinking by looking at them.

"I’ve even seen cows cry.....” (full article here)

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Alekahn2 (9th July 2017), lunaflare (14th July 2017), Mike (5th October 2017), OopsWrongPlanet? (20th October 2018)

9. Link to Post #565
    Thanks

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Alekahn2 (9th July 2017), Mike (5th October 2017), RunningDeer (1st July 2017)

11. Link to Post #566
    Thanks

For the sake of those who may have missed Breal’s post on Tony wright and his alternative hypothesis on the radical growth of the human brain, here’s a more recent interview with him where he eloquently distills his ideas and his vision for the future into a concise interview with RawIntuition founder, Matt Bennett.

I really enjoyed this interview. i hope you do too:

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Mike (5th October 2017), RunningDeer (2nd July 2017)

13. Link to Post #567
    Thanks

Climatehealers founder, Carbon Yoga and Carbon Dharma author and Cowspiracy co-producer, Sailesh Rao discusses how humanity will get over it’s current environmental hurdles…….with the help of a change in perspective and, inevitably, diet. A really fascinating discussion. Enjoy!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Alekahn2 (9th July 2017), Mike (5th October 2017)

15. Link to Post #568
    Thanks

Another, more recent, presentation by Sailesh.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Alekahn2 (9th July 2017), Mike (5th October 2017)

17. Link to Post #569
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,659 times in 8,694 posts

This guy has 7 years worth of pro vegan videos... and I think the vast majority are hilarious, I hope he keeps going.. that kind of perseverance is admirable.

I suggest a perusal of his collection
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Akasha (1st August 2017), Mike (5th October 2017)

19. Link to Post #570
    Thanks

Quote Posted by TargeT (here)
    This guy has 7 years worth of pro vegan videos... and I think the vast majority are hilarious, I hope he keeps going.. that kind of perseverance is admirable.

I suggest a perusal of his collection
    Admirable indeed! I love his direct, no-nonsense, tell-it-as-it-is approach....... and judging by Google Trends, his (and everyone else's) perseverance is starting to pay off. Still early days though.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Mike (5th October 2017)

21. Link to Post #571
    Thanks

Earthling Ed has been leading the way with UK-based animal activism for quite a while now. I’m assuming his name was inspired by the film Earthlings which documents the horrific but sadly, standard methods and practices inherent within most of the global livestock industry.

Street activism has in recent years often involved the “Earthlings Experience” whereby footage from Earthlings is played on I-Pads and laptops to passers-by by silent groups of masked activists in various town centres across the UK and other countries, thereby sparking conversation on the subject and essentially putting (virtual) glass walls on those slaughterhouses. However, one of the bones of contention was that the footage was not from UK farms and slaughterhouses, which in turn allowed UK animal product consumers to cry “never in our country.....”, thus vindicating them from any further responsibility on the subject…..

…..until now.

Enter, Land of Hope and Glory: Ed’s longstanding video project which has sought to document the practices within the UK livestock industry and in doing so put to bed ideas that the UK is in any way superior to the other countries in its treatment of livestock.

Click this link and watch from 7pm GMT tonight as well as share, donate and generally get this message out there by whatever means at your disposal. Many thanks.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Mike (5th October 2017)

23. Link to Post #572
    Thanks

Land of Hope and Glory is now on Youtube. Increasing our compassion for animals is, as I see it, part of the "Human Awakening" as espoused within Avalon's catchphrase. With that in mind, Please watch, digest and share. Many thanks.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Mike (5th October 2017)

25. Link to Post #573
    Thanks

With plant milk sales going hyperbolic, Plant-Based News thought it would be a good idea to mark the upturn with a new date in the calender, namely World Plant Milk Day.

Better for the Environement

.....Animal agriculture is one of the leading drivers of climate change, producing more greenhouse gases than all of the world's transport combined. Switching from dairy to plant-based milk is one of the ways we can significantly reduce our impact on the planet.

Better for Animals

Dairy cows undergo forced insemination, repeated pregnancies and constant milking, which puts incredible strain on their bodies. This results in illness, infections and an early death at four or five when they would naturally live into their 20s.

Even worse, their babies taken away, often within hours of birth, so the milk can be sold for human consumption. Male calves are either shot soon after birth, or reared on milk substitutes to be killed for veal or beef.

Choosing plant based milks means you help end the suffering of millions of cows and their calves each year.

Better for You

Research is increasingly showing that a whole food, plant-based diet, including plant milks, is beneficial to our health and helps to prevent and even reverse disease. This debunks the myth that humans need cows' milk to be healthy. In fact, cows' milk is linked to a host of health conditions and does not offer any nutrients that cannot be found in a healthier form in other foods.....

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Charles Harris (22nd August 2017), Mike (5th October 2017)

27. Link to Post #574
    Thanks

Staggering drone footage of factory farming operations in the USA:

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Mike (5th October 2017), Noelle (31st August 2017)

29. Link to Post #575
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Akasha (here)
    Some may be aware of The Biggest Loser's Bob Harper having a heart attack recently. He was widely recognised as the vegan trainer on that programme and so the news of his heart attack may have been somewhat alarming for those following or considering a plant based diet. However.......he actually stopped being vegan quite a while back asserting the usual spiel that he needed to listen to his body which was saying "I need something".

Quote “In the beginning, I was quietly eating my egg whites in the morning. Oh my God, I felt so bad. I just couldn’t help it. I just couldn’t hide it anymore. It works for me.” (excerpt from here)
    Yeah.....worked a treat, Bob.

Remember Bob Harper?

Well here's a very recent guerrilla-style street interview with him where he talks about life (and diet) post-cardiac arrest.

Interviewers, TMZ have labelled him vegetarian but he clearly states he's now plant-based (again) in the interview.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Mike (5th October 2017), RunningDeer (5th September 2017)

31. Link to Post #576
    Thanks

Quote .....this isn’t a place of God, this is a place of the Devil and anyone who thinks otherwise has been deluded and brainwashed and lied to.....

Quote .....there's no slaughterhouses in Heaven.....
    Last edited by Akasha; 7th September 2017 at 17:17.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Mike (5th October 2017)

33. Link to Post #577
    Thanks

On a lighter note.....

Ice-cream maker Häagen Dazs has just released a new range of plant based ice-creams, sadly only available in North America at Target stores for the time being.

Dayyyummm!!! It's times like these I wish I lived in the good ole U S of A!!!

Read more here.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Mike (5th October 2017), RunningDeer (8th September 2017)

35. Link to Post #578
    Thanks

Just in from The Animal Rights National Conference 2017:

The Global Approach To Vegan Advocacy panel featuring Melanie Joy, Sebastian Joy, & Tobias Leenaert:

Michael Klaper postulates on the notion of a vegan future:

Facts for Fish-Eaters: What You Didn't Know About Fish*es And Sealife – Lisa Kemmerer

Contemporary fishing methods, fish farming, bycatch, and dead zones are just a few of the problems that plague the oceans of the World. Consumption of animal products – whether red meat, dairy, or fish – has colluded with climate change and left oceans in a state of silent collapse. This talk focuses on what to say to those still eating fishes in a world of climate change.

How to Create a Vegan World? – Tobias Leenaert

Tobias Leenaert (aka Vegan Strategist) talks about the importance of open-mindedness, empathy, rationality and positivity in the animal rights movement.

.....and many more presentations from the conference here.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Mike (5th October 2017)

37. Link to Post #579
    Thanks

(Non-vegan) people try gourmet vegan food:

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Mike (5th October 2017)

39. Link to Post #580
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,300 times in 18,139 posts

High Cholesterol Doesn't Cause Heart Disease | Debunked

Mic. the Vegan
    Published on Oct 4, 2017

A look inside our arteries at the well documented mechanisms of how high cholesterol starts and fuels heart disease and atherosclerosis in general.

- Links and Sources -

Dr. Hyman 'Cholesterol levels don't matter':
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mar..._b_290687.html

Kresser: "Diets high in saturated fat and cholesterol don’t cause heart disease”
    https://chriskresser.com/heart-disease/

"How Does Cholesterol Cause Heart Disease?” - link

Fatberg articles:

monster-fatberg - http://www.sfchronicle.com/weird/art...ne-4711832.php
    fat clogged sewers - http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2...wipes-science/

"Cholesterol oxidation products (ChOx) have been reported to cause acute vascular injury in vivo…"
    http://atvb.ahajournals.org/content/18/12/1885.long

Causes of artery wall injury study:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2072886/

Macrophages / Foam Cell study:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4357520/

"The crystals appeared as needles..."
http://www.jlr.org/content/35/1/93.full.pdf

"Minimally modified LDL can lead to cholesterol crystallization”:
    http://www.nature.com/nature/journal...tcallback=true

Crystals rupturing / piercing lesions study:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...ihms446454.pdf

Lipemia hypoxia study: