+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 43 FirstFirst 1 29 39 43 LastLast

Thread: All Things Vegan!

1. Link to Post #761
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,413 times in 3,425 posts

Default Re: All Things Vegan!

Vegan Cannibals Rejoice, There’s Finally a Plant-Based Version of Human Flesh
    https://www.livekindly.com/vegan-can...EJ4Ji8Z9wYB11k

Hufu is a “healthy human flesh alternative,” a plant-based meat product developed for vegan cannibals.

Hufu was advertized online between 2005 and 2006. The product was said to carry the taste and texture of human flesh but it was made out of tofu.

Mark Nuckols, the founder and CEO of Hufu, thought up the concept whilst eating a tofurkey sandwich and reading “Good To Eat: Riddles of Food and Culture,” a book about humankind’s food habits and cannibalism.

Hufu was marketed toward “cannibals who want to quit.” At the time, its website said Hufu is “a great convenience food for cannibals. No more Friday night hunting raids! Stay home and enjoy the good healthy taste of Hufu.”

The tofu product was also marketed toward anthropology students studying cannibalism and those wanting to give cannibalism a go without actually having to give cannibalism a go.

In an interview on The Daily Show, Nuckols explained, “I think that a lot of the pleasure of eating the Hufu product is imagining you’re eating human flesh. For that moment, you can join the fraternity of cannibals… If you really want to come as close as possible to the experience of cannibalism, Hufu is your best option.”

As well as being a place to purchase the tofu meat, the Hufu website featured Hufu recipes, merchandise, and information about famous cannibals. In an interview with The Standford Daily, Nuckols said the website was “designed to provoke people and get a reaction from them.”

The product’s fanbase was largely vegetarian, Nuckols told the publication. “I bet you a real Fijian headhunter would enjoy Hufu,” he added.

The product was difficult to create since Nuckols had never tasted human meat himself. The flavoring was mastered by research — specifically, descriptions from cannibals in anthropology books — and countless hours of experimentation.

The website described the end result: “If you’ve never had human flesh before, think of the taste and texture of beef, except a little sweeter in taste and a little softer in texture.”

Nuckols closed down the Hufu website in June 2006, explaining that it was expensive to run and that “the world has moved on past Hufu.” Guess plain old tofu will have to do for now.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kryztian For This Post:

Akasha (18th July 2019)

3. Link to Post #762
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,162 times in 1,389 posts

Newly released drone footage exposes Mexico taking factory chicken and pig farming to the next level......but don't be under the illusion it's just Mexico - this trend is global and as it continues, going vegan is becoming more important than ever.

the greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated --- Gandhi

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Constance (25th July 2019), Forest Denizen (25th July 2019), Franny (4th August 2019), Kryztian (25th July 2019)

5. Link to Post #763
    Thanks

A number of plant-based doctors just offered their three minutes of advice to the 2020 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee Second Meeting:

Eric O'Grey who lost a staggering 150 pounds following a plant-based diet also shares his testimony with the panel:

the greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated --- Gandhi

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Constance (26th July 2019), Forest Denizen (25th July 2019)

7. Link to Post #764
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,435 times in 3,321 posts

Was the Pre-Colonial Choctaw Native American Diet Vegetarian?

Attachment 41232
    Choctaws were not the first vegetarians but their traditional Native American diet was mostly plant-based

The Choctaw long have been recognized as the best agriculturalists in the Southeast, with historical accounts detailing a rich, plant-based Native American diet. But were they also the first vegetarians? According to Rita Laws, the answer is no.

Laws, who holds a Ph.D. in psychology and writes about history and nutrition, tackled this misconception more than 20 years ago. While the Choctaw have spent thousands of years cultivating corn, pumpkin and beans, they were not traditionally vegetarians, she said—or at least not on purpose.

“Agriculture was so important to our ancestors that they really focused on that to the exclusion of meat,” she said. “It wasn’t so much a health-conscious decision, but we ate what was available, and that was what we grew. Eating meat was more the exception than the rule.”

Laws, Choctaw, adopted a vegetarian diet in 1979 and now advocates for a return to healthy diets that include traditional plant-based foods. Her quest to understand the Choctaw diet began as a personal journey to take control of her own health and combat obesity.

“I was trying to figure out why obesity is such a big thing among Oklahomans with Indian blood,” she said. “I found that it is tied to the nutritional memory of our bodies and the way we have strayed from our ancestral diets.”

Laws discovered that the Choctaw rarely consumed meat prior to 1492. She also found that, after European contact, indigenous people began moving toward animal-based diets while the settlers began moving toward vegetables.

“This is more evidence of how our culture was badly injured after the Europeans arrived,” Laws said. “Prior to European settlement, interior tribes like the Choctaw had a tendency to eat little or no meat because they simply lacked the technology to move toward an animal-based diet.”
    See the rest of the article at Indian Country Today

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Akasha (27th July 2019), Forest Denizen (27th July 2019), Franny (4th August 2019), Valerie Villars (26th July 2019)

9. Link to Post #765
    Thanks

The notion of Inuit health is, as many will be aware, a subject which has surfaced on more than one occasion here on Avalon. Here are an example of some typical comments:

Quote .....Inuit people have been living above the arctic circle on the ice in igloos for thousands of years and they mostly ever ate seal and a little fish. Fish takes a long time to catch and does not give a lot of meat. In any case they never consumed any fruits or vegetables in their entire lives. And they were and are among the healthiest people on the planet.....here
    Quote .....The inuit subsist on fermented blubber for much of the year and have vry low rates of heart disease.....here
    Quote .....despite the extremely excessive fat and protein consumption, true (natural life) Inuit rarely have issues with weight, diabetes, etc.....here
    I could go on but you get the idea, so when I came across the following group of videos documenting the reality of the situation in great detail, I felt I had to share. Needless to say, the information is in stark contrast to generally accepted public opinion:

Last edited by Akasha; 26th July 2019 at 17:47.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Constance (26th July 2019), Forest Denizen (27th July 2019), RunningDeer (26th July 2019)

11. Link to Post #766
    Thanks

Another three minute piece of dynamite testimony from the 2020 Dietary Guidelines Committee Meeting, this time by Eric Adams who, through following Dr. Neal Barnard's whole foods, plant-based protocol, managed to reverse type 2 diabetes and diabetic retinopathy before going blind as predicted by his regular doctors.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Constance (27th July 2019), Forest Denizen (27th July 2019), Franny (4th August 2019)

13. Link to Post #767
    Thanks

Victory! United Airlines Grounds SeaWorld Ticket Sales

Another victory for cetaceans! Following requests from PETA, United Airlines confirmed that it has stopped selling SeaWorld tickets and removed all mentions of the park from its United Vacations website. (full article here)

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Constance (27th July 2019), DeDukshyn (27th July 2019), Forest Denizen (27th July 2019), Franny (4th August 2019)

15. Link to Post #768
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,445 times in 8,541 posts

Quote Posted by Akasha (here)
    Victory! United Airlines Grounds SeaWorld Ticket Sales

Another victory for cetaceans! Following requests from PETA, United Airlines confirmed that it has stopped selling SeaWorld tickets and removed all mentions of the park from its United Vacations website. (full article here)

Canada recently moved to ban all cetaceans from captivity for entertainment purposes. A nice step, but I like the way India has done it -- declared them as "non-human persons" - and gave them a few written rights.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/world...03a3631d3414dc
    Quote ‘Free Willy’ bill bans dolphin and whale captivity in Canada

In a new bill hailed as a huge win for animal activists, Canada has passed a law banning whales and dolphins from being bred or held in captivity.
    Last edited by DeDukshyn; 27th July 2019 at 16:26.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Akasha (27th July 2019), Constance (27th July 2019), Forest Denizen (27th July 2019), Franny (4th August 2019)

17. Link to Post #769
    Thanks

Many in America buy organic dairy products under the illusion that they are somehow contributing to higher welfare standards because of the higher priced products. The reality is that there is no difference in welfare. The only reason for the higher price is the organic feed and lack of antibiotics, the latter of which some might argue would actually lower the costs of keeping the animals providing they don't get ill.

The following (disturbing) video highlights this all too clearly whilst exposing Natural Prairie Dairies (click the link to see how wide the gap between PR and reality is!), one of the US’s largest organic dairy farms:

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Constance (27th July 2019), DeDukshyn (28th July 2019), Franny (4th August 2019)

19. Link to Post #770
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Attachment 41304

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Agape (7th August 2019), Akasha (6th August 2019), Forest Denizen (4th August 2019), Franny (4th August 2019), Valerie Villars (7th August 2019)

21. Link to Post #771
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Dr. Brooke Goldner on Avocadoes:

I've been telling you, don't throw away the avocado with the oils! The nutrients in the avocado promote healing.

I have witnessed this in my clients who have reversed autoimmune diseases like Lupus and RA and others while eating lots of avocados, and I healed myself from Lupus while using a lot of guacamole dip to munch down pounds of raw broccoli!

This recent study supports that the worst LDL cholesterol drops MORE with adding avocado to people's diet than taking the fats away and having more grains!

I have never witnessed rapid healing from adding grains, but I have seen amazing results adding avocados.

So don't be afraid of the avocado!

Attachment 41326

Link to study: Nutritionfacts.org

Goodbye Lupus - By Brooke Goldner

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Akasha (6th August 2019), Forest Denizen (6th August 2019), RogueEllis (6th August 2019), Valerie Villars (7th August 2019)

23. Link to Post #772
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,671 times in 266 posts

I add half an avocado to a blueberry smoothie and it is the best.

Is it saying dip broccoli in guacamole? I've never tried that but sounds like a good idea, I love guacamole so much. And broccoli. God, I love vegetables.
    Last edited by RogueEllis; 6th August 2019 at 11:48. Reason: grammatical errors

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RogueEllis For This Post:

Akasha (6th August 2019), Constance (6th August 2019), Forest Denizen (6th August 2019), Valerie Villars (7th August 2019)

25. Link to Post #773
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by RogueEllis (here)
    I add half an avocado to a blueberry smoothie and it is the best.

Is it saying dip broccoli in guacamole? I've never tried that but sounds like a good idea, I love guacamole so much. And broccoli. God, I love vegetables.
    Superb idea RogueEllis! I've never tried avocado with blueberry before but I will take your word for it and have it for my mid-morning smoothie.

Yes. Brooke was saying to dip broccoli in guacamole. I like dipping cucumber into guac myself. You are a man after my own heart RogueEllis!

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Akasha (7th August 2019), Forest Denizen (6th August 2019), RogueEllis (7th August 2019), Valerie Villars (7th August 2019)

27. Link to Post #774
    Thanks

I was a bit over-zealous when planting spinach this spring. We now have a ton of the stuff so I'm having a bunch of that with a handful of blackberries from the garden and a couple of bananas in my morning smoothie.

RogueEllis, you are spot on - avacado is the perfect way to cream-up a smoothie!

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Constance (7th August 2019), Forest Denizen (7th August 2019), RogueEllis (7th August 2019), Valerie Villars (7th August 2019)

29. Link to Post #775
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

High Protein Diet Danger

Some snippets from this article at www.newsmax.com/health/dr-blaylock/article/2012/12/27/id/485000/

[...]One of the leading experts in excitotoxicity found that eating a diet high in meats increased blood glutamate levels. The levels were 100 percent higher if the person had a neurodegenerative disease. Meats are naturally high in glutamate, especially beef and other red meats. The juices are especially high in glutamate, the amino acid that causes the excitotoxicity [...]

[...] Because glutamine is converted into glutamate in the brain, I would advise against taking glutamine supplements. Studies have shown that high glutamine intake does indeed increase excitotoxicity, especially in people with a neurodegenerative disease. Some nutritionists advocate taking glutamine to repair the GI tract, but recent studies have shown it is not effective.
    I also recommend avoiding protein drinks, protein bars, and other forms of concentrated proteins and isolated amino acid mixtures. Body builders are at risk because they consume these protein supplements in huge amounts. High protein diets also accelerate aging and damage the kidneys.[...]

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Akasha (7th August 2019), Forest Denizen (7th August 2019)

31. Link to Post #776
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,671 times in 266 posts

Quote Posted by Constance (here)

I also recommend avoiding protein drinks, protein bars, and other forms of concentrated proteins and isolated amino acid mixtures. Body builders are at risk because they consume these protein supplements in huge amounts. High protein diets also accelerate aging and damage the kidneys.[...]
    People are TERRIFIED for my protein and I when they find out when I'm vegan. "But...what do you do?" I'm often asked. Protein bars and shakes have been common suggestions, sometimes by the nutritionist herself!

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RogueEllis For This Post:

Akasha (7th August 2019), Constance (7th August 2019), Forest Denizen (7th August 2019), greybeard (7th August 2019)

33. Link to Post #777
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by RogueEllis (here)
    Quote Posted by Constance (here)

People are TERRIFIED for my protein and I when they find out when I'm vegan. "But...what do you do?" I'm often asked. Protein bars and shakes have been common suggestions, sometimes by the nutritionist herself!
    I don't get asked that question much any more but whenever I do, here is how I usually respond:

1. There are no kwashiorkor clinics in the western world.

2. "People tend to get too much protein in their diets rather than too little. I'll often refer people to Dr. Garth Davis's excellent book called Proteinaholic if they are open to what I have to share.

3. There is some evidence to suggest a link between long term body building, high protein diets, and kidney issues.

I was at a World Vegan Day event and to my delight, this fellow popped up and sang this song

Last edited by Constance; 7th August 2019 at 11:10.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Akasha (7th August 2019), Forest Denizen (7th August 2019), RogueEllis (7th August 2019)

35. Link to Post #778
    Thanks

"Looking after the welfare of the animal is the top priority. There's no doubt about it. You have to show lots of tender loving care." - Aaron Hofer, farmer, James Valley Hatchery

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Forest Denizen (7th October 2019)

37. Link to Post #779
    Thanks

Who doesn't like gummy bears, right?

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Forest Denizen (20th October 2019)

39. Link to Post #780
    Thanks

Beef and dairy industry to collapse by 2030? Independent think tank RethinkX thinks so (that's a lot of thinking!)

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Forest Denizen (20th October 2019)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 43 FirstFirst 1 29 39 43 LastLast