+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 43 FirstFirst 1 23 33 43 LastLast

Thread: All Things Vegan!

1. Link to Post #641
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,162 times in 1,389 posts

Default Re: All Things Vegan!

Quote Posted by petra (here)
    I've heard rumours that the people who lived on the lost continent of Atlantis had "discovered the benefits of being vegetarian", before it eventually sunk into the sea. I know it's not quite the same as vegan, but close enough.
    I too am having similar instincts.

I know for absolute certain, if I had to kill animals in order to eat meat, I wouldn't be eating ANY meat.

Akasha's video sounds like "viewer discretion is advised" and so I am using my discretion and choosing not to look.

I imagine it's probably about the cows suffering. If something's suffering when we kill it, and then we end up eating it - that does sound kind of toxic. If anyone's ever watched Temple Grandin movie, which is based on a true story, she was a big advocate of NOT frightening the cows. Interesting side note: Temple Grandin (according to the movie) mostly lived off of Jell-O

Quote I think using animals for food is an ethical thing to do, but we've got to do it right. We've got to give those animals a decent life, and we've got to give them a painless death. We owe the animals respect.
    —Temple Grandin
    So to be clear since you are certain, you don't have to kill animals so you do eat meat? Ok. I appreciate your honesty. No doubt it reflects the sentiment of most of the Western world.

The dairy video doesn't have a warning because viewer discretion is not required. It is a video that anyone can and should watch. I would encourage you in particular to watch it.

Whilst I have heard all the welfare arguments which among other things continue to justify places like Temple Grandin slaughterhouses, I still struggle to wrap my head around them. Bottom line, an animal that wanted to live went into one and came out the other end in pieces whichever way you slice it.

All places like Temple Grade slaughterhouses and the animal welfare philosophy do is perpetuate the horror because they provide folk with the illusion that they can continue to invest in the ongoing exploitation and holocaust guilt free.
    the greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated --- Gandhi

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Pam (21st December 2018), petra (19th October 2018)

3. Link to Post #642
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,372 times in 1,413 posts

Quote Posted by Akasha (here)
    So to be clear since you are certain, you don't have to kill animals so you do eat meat? Ok. I appreciate your honesty. No doubt it reflects the sentiment of most of the Western world.
    Yes.. I eat meat because it's convenient to eat meat.
    I'm not exactly proud of it, and really it's pretty confusing when I can imagine killing a person, but not an animal. Maybe if it was Godzilla, then I'd kill it - but not harmless sweet little cows! I'd rather sit down next to the cow and eat grass with him than have to watch him die.

All places like Temple Grade slaughterhouses and the animal welfare philosophy do is perpetuate the horror because they provide folk with the illusion that they can continue to invest in the ongoing exploitation and holocaust guilt free.
    I imagine this is just as stomach turning as puppy mills, and I agree it's horrific! Any kind of animal mistreatment just makes me angry, and the problem keeps boiling down to the people.

I still regret not reporting a case of animal abuse, as a child. This kind of thing happens when people know something's wrong but keep quiet, and all it'd take is one whistle blower to knock the whole thing down.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to petra For This Post:

Akasha (30th October 2018), Rebecca (27th October 2018)

5. Link to Post #643
    Thanks

Yes.. I eat meat because it's convenient to eat meat.
    I'm not exactly proud of it, and really it's pretty confusing when I can imagine killing a person, but not an animal. Maybe if it was Godzilla, then I'd kill it - but not harmless sweet little cows! I'd rather sit down next to the cow and eat grass with him than have to watch him die.

I imagine this is just as stomach turning as puppy mills, and I agree it's horrific! Any kind of animal mistreatment just makes me angry, and the problem keeps boiling down to the people.

I still regret not reporting a case of animal abuse, as a child. This kind of thing happens when people know something's wrong but keep quiet, and all it'd take is one whistle blower to knock the whole thing down.
    Try to step back a bit, Petra, and you'll start to see that it isn't about not reporting an isolated incident of animal abuse, it's about not being part of the en-masse abuse by nature of your food choices.

the greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated --- Gandhi

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Pam (21st December 2018)

7. Link to Post #644
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

Try to step back a bit, Petra, and you'll start to see that it isn't about not reporting an isolated incident of animal abuse, it's about not being part of the en-masse abuse by nature of your food choices.
    If everyone were to stop eating meat right now, the animal abuse would still not stop, I'm certain of that. The problem lies deeper.

I don't feel guilty in the least bit for eating meat, and maybe that's why. If I thought that my becoming a vegetarian or vegan would make a good difference to the world, I'd do it in a heart beat. I just know that it won't.

I remember something someone said to me once "It's people like you who are the problem with this world" (he was talking about something else). I can assure you, we are not the problem.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to petra For This Post:

Akasha (20th December 2018)

9. Link to Post #645
    Thanks

If everyone were to stop eating meat right now, the animal abuse would still not stop, I'm certain of that. The problem lies deeper.

I don't feel guilty in the least bit for eating meat, and maybe that's why. If I thought that my becoming a vegetarian or vegan would make a good difference to the world, I'd do it in a heart beat. I just know that it won't.

I remember something someone said to me once "It's people like you who are the problem with this world" (he was talking about something else). I can assure you, we are not the problem.
    Yes Petra, you are correct. If everybody stopped eating meat right now the abuse would not stop because it occurs as much if not more so in the dairy and egg industries.

You claim that our problem is deeper but I put it to you that conditioning our offspring to condone slaughter of innocent, sentient beings, generation after generation is very much the heart of the problem.

While you may feel that your changing would be futile within the bigger picture (appeal to futility fallacy), there are many who are changing regardless, and in the process transforming the world they live in, one person at a time (the only way real change happens), while at the same time re-empowering themselves through aligning with source, i.e: love. Think about it

Anyway, here's some more perspective (not graphic) for those still buying factory farmed meat,...in other words ALL meat which doesn't say organic or grass fed etc....so, most hotdogs, burgers, sausages, ham, chicken, turkey etc.....

Last edited by Akasha; 20th December 2018 at 18:46.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

lunaflare (3rd January 2019), Orph (21st December 2018), Pam (21st December 2018)

11. Link to Post #646
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

Yes Petra, you are correct. If everybody stopped eating meat right now the abuse would not stop because it occurs as much if not more so in the dairy and egg industries.

You claim that our problem is deeper but I put it to you that conditioning our offspring to condone slaughter of innocent, sentient beings, generation after generation is very much the heart of the problem.

While you may feel that your changing would be futile within the bigger picture (appeal to futility fallacy), there are many who are changing regardless, and in the process transforming the world they live in, one person at a time (the only way real change happens), while at the same time re-empowering themselves through aligning with source, i.e: love. Think about it
    I could deal with the whole world being vegetarians (OR vegans, pardon me!). I wouldn't miss meat, and I think I could probably live quite happily on beans and rice.

I'm pretty sure blood types developed in the first place due to the food we eat, and so it would stand to reason in my mind, certain foods are better/worse for certain blood types. There's quite a bit of debate regarding this though. The idea is described in this article titled "Diet not working? Maybe it’s not your type"

My Google result also included a comparison to A and O. My blood type is A negative.

Quote Posted by Google's injected results for People Also Ask
    What's the Blood Type Diet?
    Those with type O blood should choose high-protein foods and eat lots of meat, vegetables, fish, and fruit but limit grains, beans, and legumes. ...
    Those with type A blood should choose fruit, vegetables, tofu, seafood, turkey, and whole grains but avoid meat.
    Last edited by petra; 21st December 2018 at 15:15. Reason: vegan/vegetarian confusion, not the same thing

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to petra For This Post:

Agape (10th January 2019), Akasha (21st December 2018)

13. Link to Post #647
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,393 times in 3,308 posts

You could use the same argument about trash. If you see a piece of trash thrown in your yard, do you pick it up? Or do you say, "I could pick it up, but at the end of the day it won't do any good because trash throwing is a much bigger problem than this". Now maybe you would reconsider because after all the trash is in your own yard, would that make a difference? Now if the trash is in a beautiful natural setting you visited, would you pick it up? It is no longer personal, you won't see it when you leave..you can easily rationalize, "why pick it up, someone else will just throw more"? Now if you see trash on a trash filled street, do you even need to rationalize why you won't be picking it up.

The act of buying a neat little package in a grocery store and telling yourself that you would stop eating it in a minute if it would stop animal cruelty is a rationalization. Cruelty and terror of any living creature is wrong, no matter what kind of mental gymnastics you use.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Pam For This Post:

Akasha (21st December 2018), drneglector (22nd December 2018), lake (21st December 2018), Orph (21st December 2018), petra (22nd December 2018), RunningDeer (21st December 2018)

15. Link to Post #648
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,393 times in 3,308 posts

Anyway, here's some more perspective (not graphic) for those still buying factory farmed meat,...in other words ALL meat which doesn't say organic or grass fed etc....so, most hotdogs, burgers, sausages, ham, chicken, turkey etc.....

Akasha,thank you for keeping up the good fight all these years. I deeply admire your strength and commitment. I have to admit that I have shied away from this thread because I can't stand to actually see the cruelty that we are performing as a human race. It will leave me devastated for days or weeks. I realize this is a weakness and I am coming to terms with this weakness. It has limited my volunteer opportunities with animal welfare groups. I am coming to see that I need to accept what is and move on to be effective and to do broader types of work in this area.

Akasha, how do you deal with confronting this hideous stuff, without letting it eat you alive? I believe this is one of two things left in this world that I don't have the courage to confront. It seems insurmountable. I will deeply appreciate your advice here.

With sincerity and admiration,
    Pam

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Pam For This Post:

Akasha (21st December 2018), Deux Corbeaux (21st December 2018), drneglector (22nd December 2018), lake (21st December 2018), Orph (21st December 2018), RunningDeer (21st December 2018)

17. Link to Post #649
    Thanks

Quote Posted by peterpam (here)
    .....Akasha, how do you deal with confronting this hideous stuff, without letting it eat you alive? .....
    I'm "eaten alive"when I don't confront it, so I'm compelled to do as I do.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

drneglector (22nd December 2018), Pam (22nd December 2018), petra (22nd December 2018), RunningDeer (22nd December 2018)

19. Link to Post #650
    Thanks

.....I'm pretty sure blood types developed in the first place due to the food we eat, and so it would stand to reason in my mind, certain foods are better/worse for certain blood types. There's quite a bit of debate regarding this though. The idea is described in this article titled "Diet not working? Maybe it’s not your type"

My Google result also included a comparison to A and O. My blood type is A negative.

Quote Posted by Google's injected results for People Also Ask
    What's the Blood Type Diet?
    Those with type O blood should choose high-protein foods and eat lots of meat, vegetables, fish, and fruit but limit grains, beans, and legumes. ...
    Those with type A blood should choose fruit, vegetables, tofu, seafood, turkey, and whole grains but avoid meat.
    Hey Petra,

I'd encourage you to watch the short video on the subject of what is essentially Dr. P. D'Adamo's theory on eating differently according to your blood type:

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Constance (22nd December 2018), Orph (21st December 2018), petra (22nd December 2018), RunningDeer (22nd December 2018)

21. Link to Post #651
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by peterpam (here)

You could use the same argument about trash. If you see a piece of trash thrown in your yard, do you pick it up? Or do you say, "I could pick it up, but at the end of the day it won't do any good because trash throwing is a much bigger problem than this". Now maybe you would reconsider because after all the trash is in your own yard, would that make a difference? Now if the trash is in a beautiful natural setting you visited, would you pick it up? It is no longer personal, you won't see it when you leave..you can easily rationalize, "why pick it up, someone else will just throw more"? Now if you see trash on a trash filled street, do you even need to rationalize why you won't be picking it up.

The act of buying a neat little package in a grocery store and telling yourself that you would stop eating it in a minute if it would stop animal cruelty is a rationalization. Cruelty and terror of any living creature is wrong, no matter what kind of mental gymnastics you use.
    I hate litter! I remember being a litterbug though, when I was much younger and stupider...
    I'd see all the litter in the ditch, so when I'd finish my chips, I'd just toss the bag in there with the other chip bags... because I thought it's where it belonged I suppose. That stopped eventually, and relatively I think I'll probably stop eating meat eventually too. Problem is - it's just not convenient right now. If I could eat beans and rice while I am driving, that'd be wonderful - but way too dangerous.
    There's quite a bit I am avoiding already, and having to add meat to my list of things to avoid just doesn't work right now, but that doesn't mean I don't see your point!

Hey Petra,

I'd encourage you to watch the short video on the subject of what is essentially Dr. P. D'Adamo's theory on eating differently according to your blood type:

Thanks Akasha I was really curious what you'd think especially. I've bookmarked this for later but having the doctor's name will help me find more info on them. I'll be away for the holidays for about a week, and unable to check for updates until the new year.

I've been giving it quite a bit of thought and I have to give up! It's making me tired. I don't see any feasible way to stop slaughtering animals, and here's the problems I'm facing:

1) What about people like "The Rock" who have 2 steak for breakfast? Without all those steaks, wouldn't he be more like "The Moosh-Ball"?
    2) What do we feed our cats and dogs? The cats might be ok vegan I suppose but not the dogs. (side note: I have my qualms about domesticating animals too but I digress, puppy mills are a whole different issue!!)
    3) The issue with blood types, which I'll check more into - thanks again.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to petra For This Post:

Akasha (25th December 2018)

23. Link to Post #652
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,300 times in 18,139 posts

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Akasha (31st December 2018), Constance (3rd January 2019), DeDukshyn (2nd January 2019), Forest Denizen (2nd January 2019), Kryztian (4th December 2020)

25. Link to Post #653
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,168 times in 321 posts

delete.................
    Last edited by Morbid; 23rd January 2019 at 01:24.
    "between 'lives' we all have a great laugh about the parts we have performed in the 'play', and look forward to and have great fun preparing the next chapters to act out."

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Morbid For This Post:

Akasha (3rd January 2019), DeDukshyn (2nd January 2019)

27. Link to Post #654
    Thanks

India is often mentioned in the vegan dialogue as some kind of bovine sanctuary where cows are sacred and where the abuse heaped on them in the west is thousands of miles away.

If you are one of those who actually believe that spiel (myself included at one time), you really need to watch this short video from Indian animal rights advocates, Animal Equality:

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Agape (10th January 2019), Constance (18th January 2019), lake (10th January 2019)

29. Link to Post #655
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,531 times in 811 posts

Hey Akasha, I thank you for all of your posts and your efforts.

I didn't watch your video as it rips me apart. The same as it would if it were human children. If it was the interaction of 'humans' then I have vastly less issues with it....but the abuse and consumption of sentient beings who regard 'us' as carers ....... I cannot watch, sorry.

Normal..!

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lake For This Post:

Agape (10th January 2019), Akasha (12th January 2019), Forest Denizen (19th January 2019), RunningDeer (11th January 2019)

31. Link to Post #656
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,243 times in 4,597 posts

I think it’s a bad habit humanity can’t get rid of easily , namely meat eating that creates craving and dependency not dissimilar to drug abuse,
    in case of animal products consumption it’s so much easier because the whole case is legal( with exception of holy cows of India, perhaps but then ..).
    Being picky vegetarian by nature- I have observed how most of my non-veg friends experience insatiable cravings hard to get over. They suffer straight away if they can’t get the “right food”.
    Further on and more importantly do not forget that most of the animal products you eat contain extra dosage of hormones and micro bodies alien to the original human organism. What happens if you increase your daily hormonal dosage donated by less tempered species, true your power increases but the speed of your biological evolution accelerates. In short, you’re turning your biological timewheel faster and initiate the process of cell apoptosis - transformation of human adulthood - in other words aging. Once the process sets in it takes long time to stop and reverse.

Most people who are almost pure vegan/vegetarians since childhood tend to age very slowly, and their bodies retain baby like flexibility till old age.

Alien (animal) proteins and hormones are directly responsible for accelerated aging but also autoimmune reaction and diseases in humans, since they’re “very close” they exactly mimick our own metabolic processes and take part in them tricking our organism to losing faith in itself and clear idea who we are and who we were previously.

As I’ve said at the start: it’s a habit : too old habit that goes along this civilisation , its illnesses, aggressions : not quite and only an innocent one.

Some people get chance to understand this others don’t.

Also, if people did not breed so many animals only to eat them later who eat all the healthy vegetables there’s be more vegetables for everybody.

If you ever ask where does the “wolf hunger” come from ? It’s from predator genes, animal genes and proteins.

India is not spared the problem either, even these days and while cows are protected by law the rest of animal consumption increased 60-80% in last ten years in my opinion due to western cultures influence.

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Agape For This Post:

Akasha (12th January 2019), Forest Denizen (19th January 2019), lake (10th January 2019), RunningDeer (11th January 2019)

33. Link to Post #657
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Agape (here)
    I think it’s a bad habit humanity can’t get rid of easily , namely meat eating that creates craving and dependency not dissimilar to drug abuse,
    in case of animal products consumption it’s so much easier because the whole case is legal( with exception of holy cows of India, perhaps but then ..).
    Being picky vegetarian by nature- I have observed how most of my non-veg friends experience insatiable cravings hard to get over. They suffer straight away if they can’t get the “right food”.
    Further on and more importantly do not forget that most of the animal products you eat contain extra dosage of hormones and micro bodies alien to the original human organism. What happens if you increase your daily hormonal dosage donated by less tempered species, true your power increases but the speed of your biological evolution accelerates. In short, you’re turning your biological timewheel faster and initiate the process of cell apoptosis - transformation of human adulthood - in other words aging. Once the process sets in it takes long time to stop and reverse.

Most people who are almost pure vegan/vegetarians since childhood tend to age very slowly, and their bodies retain baby like flexibility till old age.

Alien (animal) proteins and hormones are directly responsible for accelerated aging but also autoimmune reaction and diseases in humans, since they’re “very close” they exactly mimick our own metabolic processes and take part in them tricking our organism to losing faith in itself and clear idea who we are and who we were previously.

As I’ve said at the start: it’s a habit : too old habit that goes along this civilisation , its illnesses, aggressions : not quite and only an innocent one.

Some people get chance to understand this others don’t.

Also, if people did not breed so many animals only to eat them later who eat all the healthy vegetables there’s be more vegetables for everybody.

If you ever ask where does the “wolf hunger” come from ? It’s from predator genes, animal genes and proteins.

India is not spared the problem either, even these days and while cows are protected by law the rest of animal consumption increased 60-80% in last ten years in my opinion due to western cultures influence.
    I can’t speak from a medical point of view, only from experience which is this. Six and a half Years vegan now and I’ve suffered one bout of flu which for all of my life had been an annual event at least, often twice a year.

I’m open to being corrected on this but the way I see / feel it, my Immune system isn’t having to constantly deal with, as you put it, alien stuff, so it can concentrate instead on more immediate threats such as viruses as they emerge.

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Agape (12th January 2019), Constance (18th January 2019), Forest Denizen (19th January 2019), lake (18th January 2019)

35. Link to Post #658
    Thanks

Here is a very important video for everyone who is suffering on a vegan diet as well as for those who tried it and failed due to dietary issues.

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Constance (18th January 2019), Forest Denizen (19th January 2019), lake (18th January 2019), RunningDeer (18th January 2019)

37. Link to Post #659
    Thanks

Here's one for all you UK junk food vegans. I'll be honest: if I were still over there, I'd have chowed down on my fair share of them too by now, assuming I could actually buy one:

Quote Greggs struggles to keep up with demand for vegan sausage rolls

Bakery chain ramps up production of new £1 offering, with shops ‘screaming for it’

The new vegan sausage roll launched by Greggs is “flying off the shelves”, leaving Britain’s biggest bakery chain unable to keep up with demand after selling hundreds of thousands in the first week.

The £1 rolls have been selling out rapidly, depleting the stocks held at Greggs’ factory in Newcastle, where they are made and frozen before being sent out to shops to bake.

Roger Whiteside, the chief executive, said the firm had been taken by surprise over their popularity and the level of publicity surrounding the launch, and was ramping up production in response.

“Now that we know it is selling, we want to get it out there as quickly as possible. The shops that do have it are selling out instantly and the shops that didn’t get it are screaming for it.”.....(full article here)

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

lake (19th January 2019), RunningDeer (19th January 2019)

39. Link to Post #660
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,435 times in 3,321 posts

Jonathan Balcombe presents a thoughtful, well researched, insightful (and some times astonishing!) view into the world of fishes.

It really is quite thought-provoking.

I know that I will never look at fish in quite the same way again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0--HgyKg_s

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Akasha (20th January 2019), RunningDeer (20th January 2019)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 43 FirstFirst 1 23 33 43 LastLast