+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 43 FirstFirst 1 18 28 38 43 LastLast

Thread: All Things Vegan!

1. Link to Post #541
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,202 times in 1,393 posts

Default Re: All Things Vegan!

Pamela Popper of Wellness Forum Health and a board member of the Physicians' Committee for Responsible Medicine weighs in on Bob Harper's recent health crisis:

the greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated --- Gandhi

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

RunningDeer (12th March 2017)

3. Link to Post #542
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,309 times in 18,139 posts

Speaking of Ryan from Happy Healthy Vegan, I caught this one last evening. I’ve been doing the McDougall, Lisle, and Greger thang since last summer. My latest change is I went cold turkey from coffee seven days ago. I chucked out my four unopened Dunkin’ Donut coffee stash in the dumpster so I wouldn’t cave in the morning.

But…Ben and Jerry’s still calls to me. Arriving any day now is Douglas J. Lisle’s, “The Pleasure Trap: Mastering the Hidden Force that Undermines Health & Happiness”. Below are a few videos that were really helpful, and why I decided to purchase Lisle’s book.

Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia Review: Non Dairy & 100% Vegan!

The Slow Fast Way: The Steady Path To Your Goals for the New Year

Published on Jan 14, 2016

Why do our best I intentions for positive change often seem to drift away? Is there something that stops our enthusiasm and momentum when we consider a new worthwhile goal? Dr. Doug Lisle, the psychologist for The McDougall Wellness Program has unique insights into why this happens, and exactly what you need to know, and to do, to keep yourself moving forward. These tools are the central keys to the building and strengthening of your success forces and your self-esteem. Don’t miss this special webinar presentation of ‘The Slow Fast Way’. Presented by: Douglas J. Lisle, Ph.D. Watch more videos at https://www.drmcdougall.com/

The pleasure trap: Douglas Lisle at TEDxFremont

Published on Dec 4, 2012

www.tedxfremont.com Why does the great male shrike kill bugs and poke them on thorns? Why is it so hard for humans to make the right choices? Douglas Lisle shows us how the answers are related. One of psychology's most innovative and curious minds, Lisle is the Director of Research for TrueNorth Health Center and coauthor of The Pleasure Trap. www.truenorthhealth.com

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Akasha (12th March 2017), Alekahn2 (9th July 2017), Bruno (19th April 2017)

5. Link to Post #543
    Thanks

Isn't that essentially Dave Asprey's Bulletproof coffee?
    the greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated --- Gandhi

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

RunningDeer (12th March 2017)

7. Link to Post #544
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,358 times in 436 posts

Love the enthusiasm of those non dairy (vegan!) ice cream eaters...
    I am assuming this is made with soy?
    On the down side, the high levels of sugar which are no doubt added, make this product decidedly unhealthy for humans...
    sigh.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lunaflare For This Post:

Akasha (12th March 2017), RunningDeer (12th March 2017)

9. Link to Post #545
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by lunaflare (here)
    Love the enthusiasm of those non dairy (vegan!) ice cream eaters...
    I am assuming this is made with soy?
    On the down side, the high levels of sugar which are no doubt added, make this product decidedly unhealthy for humans...
    sigh.
    Ha! The slurping was a little over the top. It's almond-based.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Akasha (12th March 2017), Jean-Marie (23rd May 2017), lunaflare (17th March 2017)

11. Link to Post #546
    Thanks

Vegan Neanderthals???

Quote .....At Spy cave, Belgium, Neanderthal diet was heavily meat based and included woolly rhinoceros and wild sheep (mouflon), characteristic of a steppe environment. In contrast, no meat was detected in the diet of Neanderthals from El Sidrón cave, Spain, and dietary components of mushrooms, pine nuts, and moss reflected forest gathering.....(full Nature article here)
    Mike the Vegan dives deeper into this fascinating discovery:

12. Link to Post #547
    Thanks

What is milk anyway???

13. Link to Post #548
    Thanks

Real fur marketed as faux fur:

14. Link to Post #549
    Thanks

Our ancestors weren't vegan so why should we be?

Earthling Ed tackles the topic:

15. Link to Post #550
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Lowering Our Sodium to Potassium Ratio to Reduce Stroke Risk

Published on May 5, 2017

That was a satisfying video to script: short and sweet, self-contained with actionable information, and a little humor thrown in.

Subscribe to Dr. Greger’s free nutrition newsletter at and get a free excerpt from his latest NYT Bestseller HOW NOT TO DIE. (All proceeds Dr. Greger receives from his books, DVDs, and speaking directly support NutritionFacts.org).

Why might abstaining from sex not be the best idea for cardiovascular health? The opposite may actually be true. See my recent video Do Men Who Have More Sex Live Longer?.

What else can we do about stroke risk? See Preventing Strokes with Diet and How to Reduce Stroke Risk With Diet.

More on potassium in Potassium & Autoimmune Disease and 98% of American Diets Potassium-Deficient.

And more on the dangers of sodium in:
    High Blood Pressure May Be a Choice
    Sprinkling Doubt: Taking Sodium Skeptics with a Pinch of Salt
    The Evidence That Salt Raises Blood Pressure
    Sodium Skeptics Try to Shake Up the Salt Debate
    Shaking the Salt Habit
    Sodium and Arterial Function: A-salting our Endothelium
    Big Salt - Getting to the Meat of the Matter

And sodium isn’t just bad for our arteries. Check out How to Treat Asthma with a Low Salt Diet and Sodium and Autoimmune Disease: Rubbing Salt in the Wound?.

The wonders of nitrate-rich vegetables are also explored more in:
    Whole Beets vs. Juice for Improving Athletic Performance
    Oxygenating Blood With Nitrate-Rich Vegetables
    “Veg-Table” Dietary Nitrate Scoring Method
    Slowing Our Metabolism with Nitrate-Rich Vegetables

Sweet potatoes are an excellent high potassium low sodium choice, but what’s the best way to prepare them? Check out my video The Best Way to Cook Sweet Potatoes

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Akasha (23rd May 2017), Alekahn2 (9th July 2017), Debra (24th May 2017), Jean-Marie (23rd May 2017), Mike (22nd May 2017)

17. Link to Post #551
    Thanks
    Thanked 459,546 times in 32,931 posts

Folks, with your generous okay, I'd like to post this here. It's a Skype conversation with a friend that I had literally a few minutes ago.

Several major riders, all of which are sincere.

• I respect all vegans and their principles and values. I was a vegetarian (but ate dairy) for over 10 years, in the decade of the 1990s.
    • I don't intend to upset anyone, or cause any conflict. I really don't.
    • I'm not trying to persuade anyone of anything. I'm not trying to defend a position.
    • I do think it's an important discussion. I just know I'm healthier eating meat from time to time.
    • I also acknowledge that different body types may have different requirements, and that some of this may be connected with blood type. (I'm a type O.)
    • I can't kill a fly — literally. I rescue every tiny creature I ever see. It feels that I'd not be able to kill any animal to eat it, if I was in a survival situation. I do understand that totally makes me open to criticism, and I've just learned to live with the apparent hypocrisy.
    • I do thank Akasha for this thread.
    ~~~

Bill: I've never forgotten what you shared quite a while back — about bone broth. I now have a big pot of it on the stove here all the time. A big 50 cent bag of butcher's bones lasts for 4-5 days, and creates gallons of the stuff. I can't get enough of it.

(friend): WONDERFUL! That stuff saved my life! (Perhaps it actually did.) Great for the joints.

Bill: Yes, it really is. It has everything in it. And energetically, it just has a bunch of strong vital vibes... I can feel it.

(friend): Yes, I know there is so much controversy with the vegan point of view etc. However, I do follow what my teeth tell me in terms of what I should be eating. We have flesh tearing mandibles and incisors. So it does follow, in my mind at least, that we should follow a certain path for full nutrition.

Bill: Yes. Patrick Coady here (holistic practitioner, wonderful man, highly able) says he's always rescuing people who have been on vegan diets who are badly malnourished. It's a matter of science, not belief... for a vegan to be healthy, they have to do a large number of specific things, which most just don't.

(friend): I agree 100%. I was a vegetarian for five years. One day I bought a steak and grilled it and devoured the whole thing. Best steak I ever had. My body just needed it.

Bill: We may be spiritual beings, but we're in animal bodies. We can't ignore that.
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 22nd May 2017 at 13:50.

18. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Akasha (24th May 2017), Alan (23rd May 2017), Alekahn2 (9th July 2017), Bruno (24th May 2017), Jean-Marie (22nd May 2017), Mark (Star Mariner) (22nd May 2017), meat suit (1st July 2017), Mike (22nd May 2017), Ron Mauer Sr (22nd May 2017), StandingWave (24th May 2017), sunwings (22nd May 2017), Swan (24th May 2017), TargeT (22nd May 2017), thunder24 (22nd May 2017), Whiskey_Mystic (22nd May 2017)

19. Link to Post #552
    United States Avalon Member Whiskey_Mystic's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,200 times in 1,024 posts

Disclaimer: I support vegans and veganism. I'm jealous of their discipline.

Now, let's have a laugh.

"We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains." -Li Po

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Whiskey_Mystic For This Post:

Bruno (24th May 2017), Jean-Marie (23rd May 2017), Mike (22nd May 2017), RunningDeer (22nd May 2017), Swan (24th May 2017), TargeT (22nd May 2017)

21. Link to Post #553
    Australia Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,980 times in 1,165 posts

We make all our meals from scratch and always have chicken broth on hand. We use biodynamic chickens for our meals and keep the bones in the freezer until I make the broth using a slow cooker. Will also saves the peelings from the organic vegies and freezes them until I make some more stock. I use 1 tablespoon of whey in the stock. This I make from kefir, but you can of course use regular milk whey. The whey breaks down the bones and releases their nutrients into the stock. I cook the stock for about 12 hours. Its yummy and a perfect base for soups.

My kitchen bible is "Nourishing Traditions" by Sally Fallon. This book is invaluable for learning all the old tried and true methods of healthy food preparation.

bon appetit !!!

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Callista For This Post:

Akasha (24th May 2017), Bruno (24th May 2017), Jean-Marie (23rd May 2017), TargeT (25th May 2017)

23. Link to Post #554
    Thanks

With as much respect as I can muster....... the title of this thread is All Things Vegan. Please don't pollute it with anecdotal nonsense about murdered, boiled up carcasses.

That said, Mod's: please move Bill's and Callista's bone broth posts to their own dedicated thread.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Professor (25th May 2017)

25. Link to Post #555
    Australia Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,980 times in 1,165 posts

oh dear!! I'm sorry - I was just trying to be helpful

Mods please move/delete as required.

Mod edit: I've reported Akasha's post to bring Akasha's request to the attention of the mods. ~ Rachel
    Last edited by Innocent Warrior; 24th May 2017 at 06:11.

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Callista For This Post:

Akasha (24th May 2017), Bill Ryan (25th May 2017), Debra (24th May 2017), Innocent Warrior (24th May 2017), RunningDeer (24th May 2017)

27. Link to Post #556
    Thanks

I tend to get pretty emotional about this sort of thing, so apologies for the previous, rather terse reply.

The thing is that the definition of veganism according to the Vegan Society is as follows:

Quote Veganism is a way of living which seeks to exclude, as far as is possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose.
    Bone broth has cruelty and suffering intrinsically woven into its make-up.

Callista, I appreciate that you were “only trying to be helpful” but helpful to who? Obviously a rhetorical question but it illustrates the speciesist mentality within your words as well as the carnist population at large.
    As we aim at becoming more loving and compassionate, wouldn’t it be appropriate to include our voiceless “younger siblings” in that transformation and “try to be helpful” to them too? Haven’t they suffered enough?

Bill, I’m glad you appreciate the thread. However it does concern me somewhat that you have just “learned to live with the apparent hypocrisy” regarding your desire to alleviate suffering vis a vis your carnistic tendencies, and it concerns me more that you would actively promote suffering and cruelty with this kind of endorsement, particualrly given those compassionate ideals which you profess to hold. How many visitors to Avalon are going to take on board what you wrote and invest in the ongoing animal holocaust as a result? You obviously have much influence here. How many more animals will die because of your endorsement?

Moving on, the anecdote about the steak you cooked is a classic example of an addiction being fed. Heroine addicts experience a similar feeling many years after kicking the habit if they ever relapse, hence the cliche, “once a junkie, always a junkie”. If I had had a steak when I was 5 years into my vegetarian journey, I may well have had a very similar experience to yours. However, after 15 years without meat (vegan for the last 5 years), my outlook has changed drastically. To quote Uncle Monty, “I (used to) weep in butchers’ shops”, well maybe not quite, but I will actively avoid the meat aisle as the smell literally makes me heave, not to mention upsetting me emotionally due to the actual horror it represents, all too clear once one has sufficiently deprogrammed from the carnist mindset. The idea of buying a steak and cooking it is now so abhorrent as to be comparable to cannibalism, after all, meat is meat.

I should also mention at this point that there are very effective cruelty-free alternatives to bone broth.
    For some years, I’ve had a minor problem with my right knee due to an injury I sustained on a building site some years ago. If I tried to cycle too many kilometres, my knee would start to object when I was about 15 kms into the ride. A friend mentioned glucosamine as an possible solution and I thought, "great", unaware at the time that it was derived from shellfish. On discovering It wasn’t vegan I searched for a vegan alternative and discovered that there is corn-derived glucosamine. Taking it has easily doubled the distance I can cover both in the saddle and on foot.

I’m not going to argue the apparent benefits of bone broth (although Mic does in the second video) from the perspective of joint pain, but what about the drawbacks?

Finally, you mentioned teeth as an indicator of our carnistic tendencies and since a picture is worth a thousand words, I thought I’d share the following (ok it's several pictures plus some words but hey...)

Last edited by Akasha; 24th May 2017 at 17:52.

28. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Alekahn2 (9th July 2017), Bill Ryan (25th May 2017), Debra (24th May 2017), Foxie Loxie (24th May 2017), lunaflare (14th July 2017), OopsWrongPlanet? (20th October 2018), Professor (25th May 2017), RunningDeer (24th May 2017), Wind (25th May 2017)

29. Link to Post #557
    Thanks

Dear Mod's: Please disregard my previous request. Discussing the topic is infinitely more productive. Once again, sorry.

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Alekahn2 (9th July 2017), Bill Ryan (25th May 2017), Debra (24th May 2017), Innocent Warrior (24th May 2017), lunaflare (14th July 2017), RunningDeer (24th May 2017)

31. Link to Post #558
    Language
    English
    Thanks

The Effects of Low-Level Lead Exposure in Adults

At the bottom, I added one solution called, “SilaLive Silica,” an all-natural dietary nutritional supplement. It rids environmental toxins, pollutants, etc. Use the links provided in the video summary for foods that help detoxify.
    • Much of the lead found in adults today was deposited decades ago in our skeleton and is just now leaching out from our bones into our blood. What are the health consequences of having lead levels down around the American average?
    • Some foods, supplements, and cosmetics contain lead.
    Video Snippets:
    Published on May 24, 2017

http://www.NutritionFacts.org

Links to this video. Here are a few topics:
    • "Normal” Blood Lead Levels Can Be Toxic” explores the impacts on childhood development.
    • How to Lower Lead Levels with Diet
    • Best Foods for Lead Poisoning
    • Can Vitamin C Help with Lead Poisoning?
    • Yellow Bell Peppers for Male Infertility and Lead Poisoning?

SilaLive Silica - is a detox product that flushes and releases stagnated foods, coagulated blood debree (debris), excess metabolic waste, environmental toxins, pollutants, free radicals…

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Akasha (24th May 2017), Alekahn2 (9th July 2017), Bill Ryan (25th May 2017), Debra (24th May 2017), Foxie Loxie (24th May 2017)

33. Link to Post #559
    Thanks
    Thanked 459,546 times in 32,931 posts

Hi, Folks — been away for two days, so I'm only just getting back to reading this. My previous post above wasn't meant to be a 'hit-and-run' post, as some forum posts are.

My sole important point was that veganism can sometimes lead to ill-health. And it can. That can't really be argued, if one knows the facts.

Veganism is admirable and commendable if followed properly and with good knowledge of biochemical science. But, some accept it as a belief only, don't know the facts, don't do it well, and their bodies and minds really can suffer.

If some attention is brought to that, then that's great, and everyone wins.

34. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

7alon (25th May 2017), Akasha (25th May 2017), Alekahn2 (9th July 2017), Chris Gilbert (25th May 2017), Debra (26th May 2017), StandingWave (25th May 2017), TargeT (25th May 2017), Whiskey_Mystic (26th May 2017), Wind (25th May 2017)

35. Link to Post #560
    UK Unsubscribed
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 times in 591 posts

Bill your comment doesn't really apply to veganism, rather diet in general. Yes you must be intelligent enough to do your research and find out exactly what you're missing and what you need. Everyone should.
    Last edited by MorningFox; 25th May 2017 at 10:56.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 43 FirstFirst 1 18 28 38 43 LastLast