+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 43 FirstFirst 1 10 20 43 LastLast

Thread: All Things Vegan!

1. Link to Post #181
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,163 times in 1,390 posts

Default Re: All Things Vegan!

In light of the last couple of posts, I think the following video is more than appropriate:

the greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated --- Gandhi

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

drneglector (21st February 2016), Earthlink (30th July 2015), Limor Wolf (8th August 2015), lunaflare (31st July 2015), Noir (14th August 2015), Pam (8th August 2015), Robin (31st July 2015)

3. Link to Post #182
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,338 times in 435 posts

Absolutely, Akasha.
    Excellent speech given by a young David Icke (in a vibrant green tie)
    Indeed, an equation that has a rippling effect in our multiverses
    treat animals with respect, love and dignity
    treat people with respect, love and dignity
    treat this planet and all sentient life with respect, love and dignity...

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lunaflare For This Post:

Akasha (31st July 2015), Earthlink (16th August 2015), Pam (8th August 2015)

5. Link to Post #183
    Thanks

Good

Bad

.....scratches head.....
    the greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated --- Gandhi

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Earthlink (31st July 2015), Limor Wolf (8th August 2015), Pam (8th August 2015), Robin (1st August 2015), Selkie (31st July 2015)

7. Link to Post #184
    Thanks

Documenting Columbia's declining bull-fighting industry at the hands of an awakening youth:

Quote .....one protester painted in red told me the story of going to her first bullfight with her uncle when she was 10. Now 17, she recalled the experience: “I thought it was horrible to see the suffering of the bull. It hurt me when the bull tried to get up and the matador kept taunting it. And the people applauded. It made a mark on me.” Of the uncle who brought her, she said, “He’s a very closed-minded person. He thinks that humans have no responsibility to animals. He doesn’t believe that the bulls feel pain.” She said her generation “will not torture for tradition.”
    An interesting and revealing quote within the article from a pro-bull-fighting member of Columbia's political elite states:

Quote ….. The bull is a warrior and its nature ordered it to die in the fight and because of this you can assume that it would suffer more dying in a slaughterhouse than dying in the bullfighting ring…..
    I'd actually agree with the statement. Although the bull in the ring's fate is sealed as soon as it enters, there is a very real possibility it will be able to enact some form of vengeance on its destroyer (see graphic but somewhat cathartic video below), a highly unlikely position for regular beef (and ex-dairy) cattle to be in as they enter the slaughterhouse…:

…..which begs the question, when will the outcry against bloodsports extend to the (rest of the) meat industry? If slaughterhouses seated 10 000 spectators, much sooner I suspect.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

drneglector (21st February 2016), Earthlink (16th August 2015), Hip Hipnotist (4th August 2015), Limor Wolf (8th August 2015), Pam (8th August 2015), Robin (3rd August 2015)

9. Link to Post #185
    United States Avalon Member Robin's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,584 times in 1,239 posts

One of the arguments spoused by Carnists is that "humans have evolved larger and more complex brains by introducing meat into our diets millions of years ago," as indicated by this study.

This argument is continuously proved to be invalid with the plethora of evidence that shows meat is devastating for our overall health. Not only this, but the counter argument to this annoying claim by Carnists is that it was not meat that fueled the expansion of our brain power, but it was the advent of cooking our food.

Recently chimps have been observed to "prefer" to eat cooked food instead of the typical raw food provided to them. This observation in my opinion adds to the notion that it is cooked vegetables and fruits that aid in our growth, not meat.
    "Rather than love, than fame, than money, give me truth."
    ~Henry David Thoreau

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Robin For This Post:

Akasha (12th August 2015), Earthlink (16th August 2015), Elainie (4th August 2015), Noir (14th August 2015), Pam (8th August 2015)

11. Link to Post #186
    United States Avalon Member Hip Hipnotist's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,153 times in 314 posts

…..which begs the question, when will the outcry against bloodsports extend to the (rest of the) meat industry? If slaughterhouses seated 10 000 spectators, much sooner I suspect.

I don't believe 10,000 spectators watching cattle being slaughtered would muster much of an outcry judging by the attendance these bull slaughter events attract. I do believe that lining up toreadors, without chicken shi! swards and letting just a single bull have his way with them just might.

Hey, I can dream, can't I?

BTW: I do watch 'the running of the bulls' because it's so much fun watching those brave bulls knocking down those chicken shi! jackasses trying to outrun them. And if they happen to fall into some of the bull's BS, better yet!

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hip Hipnotist For This Post:

Akasha (12th August 2015), Earthlink (16th August 2015), Mike (4th August 2015), Noir (14th August 2015), Pam (8th August 2015), Robin (8th August 2015)

13. Link to Post #187
    Thanks

Most people do not understand how horrible the dairy industry is, and just what it takes to bring milk to the table. I definitely echo the opinion of most vegans who say that being a vegetarian is way worse than a meat-eater who does not eat dairy. Cows are repeatedly raped every year so they give birth to calves, and then those calves are ripped from their mothers so we could steal the milk that was intended for the baby. Then the male calves are sent to slaughter for veal so meat-eaters can have their taste buds satisfied.

Most people are so desensitized towards the suffering of the animals they consume, that they do not even remotely understand that these animals think and feel just like us. They too feel intense joy and sadness, and they especially have a deep fondness for their babies. Here is a video that depicts what happens when a calf is taken from a mother cow. Note just how upset the cow is, and note just how happy she is when her calf is returned to her. Thankfully there is a happy ending.

WARNING: This video may make you cry.

~Henry David Thoreau

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Robin For This Post:

Akasha (12th August 2015), Earthlink (16th August 2015), Limor Wolf (8th August 2015), Noir (14th August 2015), Pam (8th August 2015), william r sanford72 (10th August 2015)

15. Link to Post #188
    Thanks

I just cannot resist posting these two videos of a beautiful example of the amazing creatures we murder every day:

~Henry David Thoreau

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Robin For This Post:

Akasha (12th August 2015), Earthlink (16th August 2015), Limor Wolf (8th August 2015), Noir (14th August 2015), Pam (8th August 2015), william r sanford72 (10th August 2015)

17. Link to Post #189
    Retired
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,050 times in 3,027 posts

Quote Posted by Akasha (here)
    In light of the last couple of posts, I think the following video is more than appropriate:

Thanks Akasha for posting this video, it is briliant indeed to see David Icke in his early years walk the talk for all life forms of this planet. This is one human being (not alone) who we can be proud of belonging to our species. Thank you also for keeping this issue close at heart. It IS connected to everything that happens around us. As above/below etc, and an energy and consent for others life to be slaughtered that we give and allow, slowly changing. Much love

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Limor Wolf For This Post:

Akasha (12th August 2015), Earthlink (16th August 2015), Noir (14th August 2015), Pam (8th August 2015)

19. Link to Post #190
    Thanks

I'm going to post this because this majestic animal deserves to be recognized and the desensitization of human beings towards treating our Earth denizens respectfully needs to be addressed and understood.
    Horrific animal cruelty: China vendors saw whale shark alive as crowd looks on

A disturbing video was uploaded to the Internet via Live Leak on August 5, which shows the last moments of a whale shark’s life. It’s trending because two fishermen in China are captured on tape butchering the enormous shark with a saw. According to an August 7 Daily Mail report, vendors at a fishing docking in China are seen using a crosscut saw to cut sections of the living shark to be sold on the meat market. Several dozen adults, including children, gather at the scene of the live butchering.

Some among them appear to take delight while others gasp at the sight of the shark struggling to breathe. And while it cannot make an audible noise, experts say the whale shark is clearly in unimaginable pain from being cut alive.

Perhaps, one of the most shocking parts of the video is the moment water and blood gush from the large, but majestic creature. This spontaneous action took place when the shark vendors cut into the animal’s stomach and large blood vessels. Needless to say, animal activists are livid over the barbaric act of animal cruelty and abuse.

Ali Hood, Director of Conservation for the Shark Trust charity, weighed in on the unconscionable killing.

Quote The footage of a whale shark being butchered whilst apparently still alive has appalled Shark Trust supporters. To see such a magnificent, placid animal treated with such little dignity demonstrates to the Shark Trust how vital it is to continue to raise awareness as to the importance of sharks and their relatives to a healthy, balanced marine environment.
    Although culling whale sharks are illegal around the world, China has a history of liberal laws and lax enforcement. Consequently, animals, even ones that are near extinction, are being butchered for profit at record numbers.
    ~Henry David Thoreau

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Robin For This Post:

Akasha (12th August 2015), Earthlink (16th August 2015), Noir (14th August 2015), Pam (16th August 2015), william r sanford72 (10th August 2015)

21. Link to Post #191
    Thanks

A happy story to counter some of the horrors (necessarily) brought to light in recent posts. Ex-cattle rancher wife, Rennee King-Sonnen, documents the transition of her and her husband's ranch into animal sanctuary in response to their adoption of veganism:

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Earthlink (16th August 2015), Love (16th August 2015), Noir (14th August 2015), Pam (16th August 2015)

23. Link to Post #192
    Thanks

Kerry discusses (and destroys) the pitiful arguments of those who try to justify the unjustifiable consumption of foie gras - an animal product with possibly the highest score for unspeakable cruelty:

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Earthlink (16th August 2015), Noir (14th August 2015), Pam (13th August 2015)

25. Link to Post #193
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,435 times in 3,321 posts

Hi Joey,
    Thanks for your comments. You make some very important points regarding eating meat.
    Have you ever seen the research done by Tony Wright called "Left in the dark?"
    It puts a whole different spin on what we do and what we don't really know about the diets of ancient people of this planet.
    Also, there is another excellent talk by someone on Tedtalks. The person who speaks about this is named Christina Warinner.

I myself have a personal story to share with you about what happened to me. I had been vegetarian for 15 years and in excellent health. In that time. I got pregnant at the age of 40 and I had all the tests you could possibly do on someone because the medical profession is paranoid about older mothers in Australia. I also enlisted the aid of many alternative practitioners so that I could get all the nourishment a growing baby needs.
    My tests were amazing. My iron was through the roof and I had a lot of energy. I gave birth to the most healthy child you could ever imagine. On the apgar scale, he was 10/10.
    There is more but I won't bore you and 10 years on, I am vegan and have experienced even greater health and wellbeing on all levels. My son has been vegan for 10 years now and I don't know of any other child who is as healthy as he or as sensitive and kind to all beings as he.
    Last edited by Constance; 16th July 2019 at 07:58.

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Akasha (16th August 2015), Earthlink (16th August 2015), Elainie (16th August 2015), lunaflare (16th August 2015), Pam (16th August 2015), Robin (17th August 2015), The Alley Cat (22nd September 2015)

27. Link to Post #194
    Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,511 times in 573 posts

The further a society drifts from the truth the more it will dislike those who speak it, that's for sure.

I don't care, as I'm sure you's don't either, I'm at a point now where I happily spread cognitive dissonance freely!!! It's not my fault they didn't pay attention to anything other than ego.

Still though, how did we go so horribly wrong. On so many levels.

It is in fact a true statement that I live on a planet, right now, where the senseless slaughter of everything ... EVERYTHING ... has become the norm.

Trees, fish, animals, humans, even the planet itself, are all being slaughtered on a regular basis. You know, we've got lots of pictures of other planets and other suns now, lots of them, and we're a baby in our galaxy, relative to the others. This means both our sun and our planet are growing. And, what do planets eat? It's a kind of co-parasitic relationship, much like apples which rely on forest dwelling animals to spread their seeds for them, for, they can not do it by themselves. Or anything else that eats, it's all the same. The organisms in our digestive tract that digest food for us, without which we'd starve. They are not us, and we are not them, we co-exist, as does the entire web of life here.

Well, all of the plates on the surface of the planet are all moving, all the time. Slowly, yes, but they never stop. Some plates are coming up new, like the mid atlantic ridge, and the pacific plate is going back inside, along the edge of north and south america as they slide over and on top of the pacific plate, all of the plates across the surface are coming up new on one side and going back into the centre on the other. That's how planets eat, it is.

And, where's the nutrition then for them?

Yeah. The massive deposits from all the life on the surface feeds it. Peat, coal oil and gas deposits, which, untouched, are immense. Enough to feed a whole planet, you could say.

Oh wait, we dug those all up and burned them? Are you f@cj=king kidding me? omg you're such a bone head, you just starved our planet!!!!

I wish that was funny and I also wish it weren't true, but I'm pretty sure it is true.

We need to figure something out here, we really do, for it's beyond personal at this point.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Earthlink For This Post:

Akasha (16th August 2015), Pam (16th August 2015)

29. Link to Post #195
    Thanks

Quote Posted by breal (here)
    I myself have a personal story to share with you about what happened to me. I had been vegetarian for 15 years and in excellent health. In that time. I got pregnant at the age of 40 and I had all the tests you could possibly do on someone because the medical profession is paranoid about older mothers in Australia. I also enlisted the aid of many alternative practitioners so that I could get all the nourishment a growing baby needs.
    My tests were amazing. My iron was through the roof and I had a lot of energy. I gave birth to the most healthy child you could ever imagine. On the apgar scale, he was 10/10.
    There is more but I won't bore you and 10 years on, I am vegan and have experienced even greater health and wellbeing on all levels. My son has been vegan for 10 years now and I don't know of any other child who is as healthy as he or as sensitive and kind to all beings as he.
    That's what I'm talkin' about!!!…..and welcome to Avalon X!
    Last edited by Akasha; 16th August 2015 at 20:44.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Constance (22nd August 2015), Pam (16th August 2015)

31. Link to Post #196
    United States Avalon Member Elainie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,546 times in 787 posts

Quote Posted by breal (here)
    Hi Joey,
    Thanks for your comments. You make some very important points regarding eating meat.
    Have you ever seen the research done by Tony Wright called "Left in the dark?"
    It puts a whole different spin on what we do and what we don't really know about the diets of ancient people of this planet.
    Also, there is another excellent talk by someone on Tedtalks. The person who speaks about this is named Christina Warinner.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMOjVYgYaG8

That is wonderful. I was vegan when I got pregnant at age 44 and my son was born on my 45th birthday (so cool we share that day). He was just under 9 pounds at birth, healthy as a lark and labor was a mere 44 minutes and so easy my midwife didn't make it to the house on time until after he was born (my oldest daughter was with me).

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elainie For This Post:

Akasha (16th August 2015), Constance (22nd August 2015), Earthlink (16th August 2015), Pam (16th August 2015)

33. Link to Post #197
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,393 times in 3,308 posts

Quote Posted by Earthlink (here)
    The further a society drifts from the truth the more it will dislike those who speak it, that's for sure.

I don't care, as I'm sure you's don't either, I'm at a point now where I happily spread cognitive dissonance freely!!! It's not my fault they didn't pay attention to anything other than ego.

Still though, how did we go so horribly wrong. On so many levels.

It is in fact a true statement that I live on a planet, right now, where the senseless slaughter of everything ... EVERYTHING ... has become the norm.

Trees, fish, animals, humans, even the planet itself, are all being slaughtered on a regular basis. You know, we've got lots of pictures of other planets and other suns now, lots of them, and we're a baby in our galaxy, relative to the others. This means both our sun and our planet are growing. And, what do planets eat? It's a kind of co-parasitic relationship, much like apples which rely on forest dwelling animals to spread their seeds for them, for, they can not do it by themselves. Or anything else that eats, it's all the same. The organisms in our digestive tract that digest food for us, without which we'd starve. They are not us, and we are not them, we co-exist, as does the entire web of life here.

Well, all of the plates on the surface of the planet are all moving, all the time. Slowly, yes, but they never stop. Some plates are coming up new, like the mid atlantic ridge, and the pacific plate is going back inside, along the edge of north and south america as they slide over and on top of the pacific plate, all of the plates across the surface are coming up new on one side and going back into the centre on the other. That's how planets eat, it is.

And, where's the nutrition then for them?

Yeah. The massive deposits from all the life on the surface feeds it. Peat, coal oil and gas deposits, which, untouched, are immense. Enough to feed a whole planet, you could say.

Oh wait, we dug those all up and burned them? Are you f@cj=king kidding me? omg you're such a bone head, you just starved our planet!!!!

I wish that was funny and I also wish it weren't true, but I'm pretty sure it is true.

We need to figure something out here, we really do, for it's beyond personal at this point.

Thank you for your beautiful post Earthlink, I really feel what you are saying. Sometimes I lie in bed at night and I feel the vibration of the atrocities and cruelty that is happening at the very moment and it is almost more then I can bare. I feel like I am being forced to witness the evil. How could any of us be convinced that all of this is ok.?That humans have some right to the evil and horror that we perpetuate. Collectively, the human race is sociopathic. Through some twisted thinking we have not only convinced ourselves that all of this ok, but that we are evolved, sophisticated and very advanced, it is total insanity. We don't seem to know what humility, balance and common sense are. There is a collective arrogance that scare the h*** out of me.

Thanks for giving me a place to vent my bewilderment. With love to you all!!!! I am so glad you are on this planet with me.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pam For This Post:

Akasha (17th August 2015), Earthlink (16th August 2015)

35. Link to Post #198
    Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,511 times in 573 posts

I met a man at a hostel while travelling, and older gentleman, in his 70's, from California, US. He's a physicist, and he worked at some government department and took the early buy out in his 50's (less money) and began to travel the world on his pension. Best decision of his life he said. And he said one of the best things I'd ever heard another Human say. He said that, after travelling all over the place, that if he had to sum up the total of all his experiences, the summary of all his time here on Earth so far, in just one sentence, that sentence would be "People are good"

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Earthlink For This Post:

Akasha (18th August 2015), LittleTree (15th September 2015), Pam (19th August 2015)

37. Link to Post #199
    Thanks

Quote UFC heavyweight Mark Hunt switching to vegan diet after watching animal cruelty video

(Mark Hunt knocking out Roy Nelson last year)

At 41-years-old, combat sports legend Mark Hunt may have decided to make a serious change to his lifestyle. The 'Super Samoan' posted a disturbing video of animal cruelty on his Facebook feed with the caption, "I'm going vegan, hate this."

The video provides coverage of the inner workings of the fourth largest pig farm in the United States. Pigs and piglets can be seen suffering immensely, as they are left to live out their short lives in a grotesque environment and face violent abuse from the employees.......Full article here
    I have to say I'm hardly a fan of MMA or UFC on account of it being essentially the ultimate glorification of barbarity (UGoB??!!), but when one of it's heroes, and let's face it, those we'd perhaps assume least likely to make the heart/stomach connection, manages to do just that, I'm like WAAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Go Bro'!!!!! Full vegan power!!!!!!! If he can make the connection, what are the (allegedly) more sensitive types waiting for???

Did I get a bit over-exited then? Hey ho.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Pam (19th August 2015), Robin (17th August 2015)

39. Link to Post #200
    Thanks

A gentle reminder of the ongoing plight of factory farmed animals courtesy of undercover factory farm investigator, Cody Carlson (caution - images of regular farming practice) :

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Pam (19th August 2015), Robin (19th August 2015)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 43 FirstFirst 1 10 20 43 LastLast