Thread: All Things Vegan!

1. Link to Post #241
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,075 times in 1,638 posts

Default Re: All Things Vegan!

Quote Posted by Akasha (here)
    Quote Posted by transiten (here)
    Beyond Meat Beast Burger Review (With Chao Cheese)

Hmmm, how is the soy and corn produced? Is it GMO? Soy is also problematic for other reasons I don't remember just now.
    Right.....because this isn't problematic is it?

Now you presumed I'm advocating slaughter and eating meat which I don't. I once was a lactovegetarian but for some years I've been eating shrimps and some fish but I'm actually considering going back to lacto-vegetarian. That requires animal farming of course and I suppose this thread is about being vegan. At the moment I'm eating ecological eggs and cheese from goat and sheep and avoid cow milk but will have a try with vegan just to see what it's like and because it leads you into new discoveries.
    Last edited by transiten; 22nd September 2015 at 14:58.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to transiten For This Post:

Akasha (22nd September 2015), Noir (1st October 2015), Pam (22nd September 2015), Robin (1st October 2015)

3. Link to Post #242
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,202 times in 1,393 posts

Hmmm, how is the soy and corn produced? Is it GMO? Soy is also problematic for other reasons I don't remember just now.

Now you presumed I'm advocating slaughter and eating meat which I don't. I once was a lactovegetarian but for some years I've been eating shrimps and some fish but I'm actually considering going back to lacto-vegetarian. That requires animal farming of course and I suppose this thread is about being vegan. At the moment I'm eating ecological eggs and cheese from goat and sheep and avoid cow milk but will have a try with vegan just to see what it's like and because it leads you into new discoveries.
    I can be a bit trigger-happy from time to time, no doubt about it. My point was that soy and other fake meats are less problematic than the real alternative, in all directions, be they health, compassion or ecology. I just like to try and keep the reality of real meat in the consumer's mind if possible. To many are blissfully disconnected in that regard.
    As I've mentioned previously here, we shouldn't be under any illusions about lacto vegetarianism either. The dairy cows still end up in the same slaughter houses as their meat counterparts, except they have to endure years of cyclical rape, kidnapping of their offspring and repeated milking between 2 and 3 times a day invariably leading to mastitus, the main reason most dairy cows are blanket-prescribed antibiotics, leading to the ever-diminishing effects of antibiotics on the human population. I don't know about you but If I had to choose, I'd be beef cow everyday of the week.

Hats off to you if you're going to explore the vegan lifestyle. My advice would be to not just live on salad! This is probably the biggest mistake failed vegans make, not realising that they cannot live like that. In a nut-shell, replace meat with legumes such as chick peas, lentils etc assuming that you are already following a balanced diet high in whole foods and fruit. Good luck!

Oh by the way, a handy tip: Elainie is the vegan encyclopaedia of Avalon. I'd be very surprised if she didn't know the answers to any dietary queries you might have.
    Last edited by ThePythonicCow; 24th September 2015 at 01:41. Reason: Correct spelling of Elainie's name :)
    the greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated --- Gandhi

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Noir (1st October 2015), Pam (29th September 2015), Robin (1st October 2015), transiten (22nd September 2015)

5. Link to Post #243
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,075 times in 1,638 posts

No problem Akasha. I've been eating beans, quinoa, millet, raw rice, kale, broccoli, nuts, oil, sunflower seeds etc for years and I once attended a school for selfsustained lifestyle where we grew our own ecological food and learned how to live a simple life. Also I think ecological cheese from goats and sheep are Ok since the animals are free ranging. I don't know about their offspring though and if they are killed for the meat. There are some small producers that keep their goats only for the milk and cheese f.i. and also we don't eat goats meat so..

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to transiten For This Post:

Akasha (6th October 2015), Noir (1st October 2015), Pam (29th September 2015), Robin (1st October 2015)

7. Link to Post #244
    United States Avalon Member Abhaya's Avatar
    Traveling year round mostly US. And Costa Rica:)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,517 times in 416 posts

Cool Re: All Things Vegan!

Quote Posted by Abhaya (here)
    Found this to be a nice win. A Mexican restaurant went completely vegan after the owner watched Cowspiracy. Goes to show how that documentary shatters the accepted norm.

Cowspiracy was a labor of love and we had hoped it would make a great impact, but we never anticipated the amount of change it could really create.

Since our Netflix release, we have been doing our best to read every tweet, comment and post from all of you. We feel a tremendous amount of hope coming from your words and actions.

And now, an article out today really just took it over the top.

Get this: A Mexican restaurant in Texas after seeing the film, has decided to switch to 100% vegan menu in 2016. From The Short Horn:

The documentary Cowspiracy caused a change of heart. “Everything related to food I’ve seen, but this one was incredible,” Lopez said. “Sometimes you just have a situation or episode in your life when everything changes and this was key for me.”

http://www.cowspiracy.com/blog/2015/...ing-cowspiracy
    A pleasure to have you back on the thread, Abhaya. It's been too long!.....and great news about La Blue Casa restaraunt's planned transition to a vegan menu in the new year. Just fantastic! Cowspiracy is really becoming quite the agent of change in so many people's lives.

Here are another couple of examples of folk, in this case, high profile Youtubers, Mr Ben Brown and FunForLouis making the change after seeing it too.

Ben's video on the subject (Cowspiracy bit @ 9.00) :

and Louis' video (Cowspiracy bit @12.10) :

Great to be back in can't say enough about how amazing this thread is. You found the working formula my friend

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Abhaya For This Post:

Akasha (6th October 2015), Constance (23rd September 2015), Noir (1st October 2015), Pam (29th September 2015), Robin (1st October 2015)

9. Link to Post #245
    Thanks

Anyone with Netflix give a 5 star review to help get the word spread.

Quote Dear Friends,

We're so thrilled that the Netflix release of Cowspiracy was such a huge success! Since the release just a week ago, we had a restaurant start the transition of going entirely vegan, helped a reporter from the Huffington Post to re-consider her stand on veganism and thousands of people are currently taking our 30-Day Vegan Challenge on our website.

But proponents of meat and dairy are noticing the impact our film is having, and they are fighting back!
    Quote Right now there are hundreds of negative reviews popping up on Netflix in order to give the film a bad rating. Studies show, a film with a low rating is watched overwhelmingly less, than a film with a solid 5 stars.

So, today we're asking you to please help us to fight off this attack! If you watched Cowspiracy and liked the film, will you please leave a review on Netflix? Every positive review will have a huge impact on how many people will be watching the film.

Thank you so much in advance!

Kip & Keegan

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Abhaya For This Post:

Akasha (6th October 2015), Noir (1st October 2015), Pam (29th September 2015), Robin (1st October 2015)

11. Link to Post #246
    Thanks

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/29/opinio...ees/index.html

Cnn article more or less supporting cowspiracy's cause wow

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Abhaya For This Post:

13. Link to Post #247
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,696 times in 3,333 posts

I can be a bit trigger-happy from time to time, no doubt about it. My point was that soy and other fake meats are less problematic than the real alternative, in all directions, be they health, compassion or ecology. I just like to try and keep the reality of real meat in the consumer's mind if possible. To many are blissfully disconnected in that regard.
    As I've mentioned previously here, we shouldn't be under any illusions about lacto vegetarianism either. The dairy cows still end up in the same slaughter houses as their meat counterparts, except they have to endure years of cyclical rape, kidnapping of their offspring and repeated milking between 2 and 3 times a day invariably leading to mastitus, the main reason most dairy cows are blanket-prescribed antibiotics, leading to the ever-diminishing effects of antibiotics on the human population. I don't know about you but If I had to choose, I'd be beef cow everyday of the week.

Hats off to you if you're going to explore the vegan lifestyle. My advice would be to not just live on salad! This is probably the biggest mistake failed vegans make, not realising that they cannot live like that. In a nut-shell, replace meat with legumes such as chick peas, lentils etc assuming that you are already following a balanced diet high in whole foods and fruit. Good luck!

Oh by the way, a handy tip: Elainie is the vegan encyclopaedia of Avalon. I'd be very surprised if she didn't know the answers to any dietary queries you might have.

If I might add, that sprouting legumes will give them even more nutritious value. You can get a lot of different tastes and textures with different sprouts. Also, and I am admittedly repeating myself, it is a really easy way to keep live foods in your diet year round and/or if you are deprived of space to grow veggies.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pam For This Post:

Akasha (6th October 2015), Noir (1st October 2015), Robin (1st October 2015)

15. Link to Post #248
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,438 times in 3,321 posts

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Akasha (6th October 2015), Noir (9th October 2015), Pam (9th October 2015), Robin (1st October 2015)

17. Link to Post #249
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

A great presentation by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Akasha (6th October 2015), Noir (1st October 2015), Pam (9th October 2015), Robin (1st October 2015)

19. Link to Post #250
    Thanks

I've been away for a couple of weeks and on my return have been greatly encouraged by those who have helped keep this thread alive.

The thanks button is not enough!

THANKYOU!!!THANKYOU!!!THANKYOU!!!
    the greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated --- Gandhi

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Constance (7th October 2015), Noir (9th October 2015), Pam (9th October 2015), ThePythonicCow (6th October 2015)

21. Link to Post #251
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I'd like to share some of my recipes here if that is okay with everyone?

I have this saying "Anything you can make that is non-vegan you can also make vegan"

I modify/adapt/embellish every recipe I come across that takes my fancy and I turn it into a vegan dish!

I find that if I do this, I never run out of ideas.

It keeps the family happy and me constantly creating new dishes.

I'm starting with ice cream because it is my favourite food of the moment and it is very easy to make.

We are now heading into an early summer and I am ready for icecream!

Constance's Black gold icecream

Ingredients:

125mls or half a cup of coconut nectar (you can replace this with any other liquid sweetener available to you ie rice syrup, agave nectar, maple syrup)

2 tablespoons of black sesame seed paste (black tahini)

1 cup of coconut milk (I make my own but if canned works for you, go for it)

1 tsp. vanilla powder (Or essence will do - for those who don't want alcohol in their vanilla, you can buy vanilla essence without alcohol)

Method:

For the coconut milk:

Make your coconut milk really thick - I used a ratio of 2 cups of shredded coconut to 3 cups of water and this comes out really creamy...
    I use a high speed blender so if you don't have one of those, the best option is to buy canned coconut milk.

Here is a recipe for making coconut milk

http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2013...dded-cocoonut/

Once you have the coconut milk ready, in a blender mix all the ingredients together. Pour ingredients into a container and freeze, remembering to mix every two hours

We make these into icy poles too for convenient eating.

Last edited by Constance; 16th July 2019 at 08:04.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Akasha (7th October 2015), DeDukshyn (7th October 2015), Love (20th October 2015), Noir (9th October 2015), Pam (9th October 2015)

23. Link to Post #252
    Thanks

Quote Posted by breal (here)
    I'd like to share some of my recipes here if that is okay with everyone?
    By all means! Sharing recipes was one of the main reasons for getting this thread going and this one sounds amazing!

Quote Posted by breal (here)
    .....remembering to mix every two hours
    Are these the magic words of home-made ice-cream making (without an ice-cream maker)?

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Noir (9th October 2015), Robin (19th October 2015)

25. Link to Post #253
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Are these the magic words of home-made ice-cream making (without an ice-cream maker)?
    Excellent I'll keep posting recipes whenever I get the opportunity.

And yes... I don't have an icecream maker so all my recipes are for home-made ice cream without an ice cream maker!

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Akasha (7th October 2015), Noir (9th October 2015), Pam (9th October 2015), Robin (19th October 2015)

27. Link to Post #254
    Thanks

Sorry, I found this around and... I couldn't resist.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	plants feel pain too.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	31497  
    ~May the light shine with you. And within you~

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Noir For This Post:

Akasha (9th October 2015), Constance (19th October 2015), OopsWrongPlanet? (18th October 2018), Pam (9th October 2015), Robin (19th October 2015)

29. Link to Post #255
    Thanks

I just watched the following video and thought I'd share it. It highlights the fact that veggies (vegans and vegetarians) literally have more empathy than omnivores. The question as posed in the video is what came first, the chicken or the egg? In other words, were more empathic people more likely to become veggie or did their dietary change lead to the higher levels of empathy? Given the increase in veganism relative to population, I'd like to think that the evolution in consciousness is playing an unseen part in the transformation. Empathy will naturally be a by-product of conscious awareness.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Constance (15th October 2015), Noir (19th October 2015), Robin (19th October 2015)

31. Link to Post #256
    Thanks

More breathtakingly insane parkour from vegan free runner and outspoken animals' advocate: the one, the only, Mr. Tim Shieff:

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Constance (19th October 2015), Robin (19th October 2015)

33. Link to Post #257
    United States Avalon Member bettye198's Avatar
    Fairfield Glade, Tennessee in the Catoosa Mts
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,026 times in 571 posts

On the subject of veganism, here is my own insight. I manage my husbands Advanced Nutritional Testing Practice, all holistic and energetic. We have actually had some vegans refuse the raw food organic supplements a century old because they include bovine DNA RNA and PMGs. Yet we are so quick to forget that we share similar DNA RNA and cellular responses with mammals. That was a God thing. To be vegan one would have to find a way to bring in B12 that is the factor for creating red blood cells in the gut as well as a healthy brain and nervous system. It combines with folate so many people wind up taking Folic Acid B12 as they are deficient. This is a big big deal. I am not a big advocate of meat, but what I do see with vegans is deficiencies. My family tried to go vegan for 3 mos. All three of us got sick and I am a great cook. We were forced into fake eggs and soy protein isolate. Well that ended quickly and then we got a whole lot smarter about what we put into our bodies. Plant based, organic eggs from roaming pasture chicks which are vital, coconut or MCT oils for brain and fatty acid formation, and rarely, some air chilled organic chicken or turkey and fruit nuts and seeds. I prefer to see whole foods as they are not made into something that resembles a food I used to eat.
    When you realize where you come from, you naturally become tolerant, disinterested, amused, kindhearted as a grandparent, dignified as a king. -- I Ching

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bettye198 For This Post:

Akasha (19th October 2015), Elainie (19th October 2015), Robin (19th October 2015)

35. Link to Post #258
    Thanks

Hi Bettye and thanks for your input. I'd first like to address the following in your post.

Quote Posted by bettye198 (here)
    …..We have actually had some vegans refuse the raw food organic supplements a century old because they include bovine DNA RNA and PMGs…..
    Veganism is about not consuming any animal products, so the idea that "some" vegans refused supplements with bovine DNA just illustrates how conscious they were of their intake. All of those professing to be vegan should technically have abstained from your supplements if they had animal derivatives in them. Of course different folk are at different points on their journey of awareness into such matters and I'd suggest that aspect of your post reflects this.

…..To be vegan one would have to find a way to bring in B12…..
    Vitamin B12 is certainly an issue for everyone, not just vegans. Livestock is increasingly given B12 injections as modern farming methods ensure the ongoing depletion of cobalt within pastures. Of course, with much of modern livestock not even seeing pasture, such supplementation is even more essential.

I can appreciate that with a return to more traditional farming methods such as those you mention, livestock would be less likely to need such supplementation, but factory farming has become the market standard because it is able to feed the omnivorous masses - a feat which pasture fed livestock agriculture simply doesn't have the space to do.

.....My family tried to go vegan for 3 mos. All three of us got sick and I am a great cook.....
    In 2009, 1% of the US population was vegetarian or vegan. That figure has now risen to 5% with more than half of those being vegan. I'm managing it easily in Hungary (and I just had a blood test to prove it) which, compared to the US has a lousy vegan selection, so (and don't take this the wrong way but) how did you, as a "great cook" manage to fail at it when so many others are clearly succeeding? How did you go about it? What vegan food did you prepare which made you "get sick"? Your willingness to try it suggests if the problems could be highlighted and overcome, you'd still be doing it so maybe we could brainstorm you and your family back to a vegan diet, but this time one that works.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Constance (19th October 2015), Robin (19th October 2015)

37. Link to Post #259
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

On the subject of veganism, here is my own insight.
    From my own personal observations and research, the intelligent vegan aims to put back what is missing from their bodies because from what I can gather, we are all starting out nutritionally deficient before we even leave the womb.

The intelligent vegan eats whole, natural, organic and unprocessed foods, gets the mineral supplementation they need through having a diverse diet and they eliminate excesses of sugar, fat and protein.

There is such a variety and abundance of plant-based foods available. Some rich with fatty acids we need, some rich in minerals and others rich in vitamins.

There are trillions of different plants throughout all the world. All have different roles, all as diverse as we are.
    Whilst I cannot name all plants with all the roles they play in our diet, I can attempt to group foods into six categories. Nuts, seeds, grains, fruit, vegetables and legumes.

I place a huge question mark around the whole subject of Vitamin B12 and the source of because I have friends who are long-term or life-long vegans with excellent B12 levels. They don't ever supplement. They seem to have a lifetime supply of it. Some of these friends are now in their seventies. How can this be?

Could it be that intergenerationally, the grandmother and mother had excellent B12 levels themselves and passed this on in-utero, providing a lifetime supply of B12?

Could it be that the very air itself contains vitamin B12 and they are efficiently up taking this source?

Could it be that their neural pathways remain switched on enough to allow the uptake of these B12 nutrients to be absorbed by the body?

Could it be the very synergic nature of their diet - the alchemy in itself creating the vitamin B12?

Could it be that by sheer nature of their diet on a spiritual level that the body, restored to its natural state is creating the vitamin B12?

Could it be that Vitamin B12 is created by the bacteria in soil and from the sheer volume of vegetables eaten they are receiving it from the microbes?

I started asking the same questions around minerals and vitamins in the body and the same questions applied starting in the reverse and then new questions emerged.

Could it be that we intergenerationally have become nutrient deficient due to a lack of nutrients in the soil and food we eat?

Could it be that our mothers were lacking in nutrients either through their diet or a lifetime of nutritional deficiencies so that there was nothing to pass on to in-utero that could be utilized?

Could it be that all the man-made chemicals received by the mother due to consuming a processed, GMO diet is passed on to the fetus?

Could it be that all the man-made chemicals found in the infant block or shut down those neural/elimination pathways that absorb the nutrients?

Could it be that the immunizations we have endured intergenerationally have shut down the pathways required for utilizing nutrients?

Could it be the birth trauma most suffer when born into an artificial environment that shuts down all the nutrient pathways we require to uptake nutrients?

I have been researching the work by Tony Wright - he may provide some more clues as to how we can revolutionize how we eat.
    Last edited by Constance; 19th October 2015 at 23:07.

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Akasha (20th October 2015), Love (20th October 2015), Robin (19th October 2015)

39. Link to Post #260
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Anna Breytenbach, animal communicator - communicates with the great white shark consciousness.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Akasha (20th October 2015)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 43 FirstFirst 1 3 13 23 43 LastLast