+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 43 FirstFirst 1 20 30 40 43 LastLast

Thread: All Things Vegan!

1. Link to Post #581
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,309 times in 5,692 posts

Default Re: All Things Vegan!

Hi Akasha, I am a meat eater, but I admire your stance here. I have very mixed feelings about eating meat sometimes. I'd prefer to live as a vegan or vegetarian, but when I eat a plant based diet I wilt. I feel very weak. So it's a choice I make out of necessity, for better or worse.

I have a question for you. Currently I'm watching this series on Netflix called "Life Below Zero", which is a documentary style show that follows the lives of several people living above or slightly below the Arctic Circle in Alaska. These folks have to trap and hunt and kill animals to live; it would be impossible to live otherwise. There's no realistic way to live as a vegan there. What's your feeling on this? Can you reconcile that?

I'm not asking to stir the pot here. I'm genuinely curious. I feel sadness when I see these animals get killed (even though it's done much more compassionately and with much more honor than the so called "civilized" world). And yet I know these people have to live this way. It makes watching the show a pretty slippery emotional experience.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Mike; 5th October 2017 at 15:41.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Akasha (5th October 2017), Franny (9th October 2017), RunningDeer (5th October 2017)

3. Link to Post #582
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,163 times in 1,390 posts

Quote Posted by Mike (here)
    Hi Akasha, I am a meat eater, but I admire your stance here. I have very mixed feelings about eating meat sometimes. I'd prefer to live as a vegan or vegetarian, but when I eat a plant based diet I wilt. I feel very weak. So it's a choice I make out of necessity, for better or worse.

I have a question for you. Currently I'm watching this series on Netflix called "Life Below Zero", which is a documentary style show that follows the lives of several people living above or slightly below the Arctic Circle in Alaska. These folks have to trap and hunt and kill animals to live; it would be impossible to live otherwise. There's no realistic way to live as a vegan there. What's your feeling on this? Can you reconcile that?

I'm not asking to stir the pot here. I'm genuinely curious. I feel sadness when I see these animals get killed (even though it's done much more compassionately and with much more honor than the so called "civilized" world). And yet I know these people have to live this way. It makes watching the show a pretty slippery emotional experience.

Thoughts?
    Firstly, welcome and secondly…….stir the pot as much as you like! The more stirring the merrier! God knows, this thread needs it!!!

In answer to your post, as I see it, there are always going to be exceptions to the rule. People choosing to live above the Arctic Circle and only eating what they hunt being one of them. Those living in other extreme environments such as deserts with the aid of goats or other livestock being another example. At one level or another, they are choosing to do it. I can understand the attraction of the challenge, but when it comes at the expense of another’s life, I would have to draw the line, no matter how seductive the lure.

I just skimmed through season 9 episode 5 of Life Below Zero to see what you were talking about and depending on the character being interviewed, I would say being vegan in that environment would be as much of a choice as that guy having a laser-guided saw mill or not. Let’s face it, they’re being pretty selective in terms of where they choose to invest their survival skills and resources. They chose to bring a certain amount of 20th/21st century tech’ with them, so why not vegan food? I mean it’s not like it wouldn’t keep . Again, ultimately it all boils down to choice.

You said you’d prefer to be vegan but that you felt too weak when you tried it. Can you list what you were eating at the time? personally, I never feel weak and I might be able to advise you on selecting more appropriate plant-based food. Alternatively, check out this guy - certainly not wilting and certainly not the only one on Youtube who might be able to help either!

Vegan Zombie and Vegan Corner are also great channels to check out for food ideas that might give you more energy.

Perhaps a longer transitional period would be beneficial too. Many fail because they go 100% vegan in one go but don't have all the information needed to sustain the diet from the get go, or .......they simply don't eat enough. Plants are typically not as nutrient dense as meat and so more mass is needed to get the same caloric intake.
    Last edited by Akasha; 5th October 2017 at 20:32.
    the greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated --- Gandhi

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Mike (5th October 2017), RunningDeer (5th October 2017)

5. Link to Post #583
    Thanks

Mike, you might want to watch this too:

UFC heavyweight Derrick Lewis talks candidly about going vegan:

the greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated --- Gandhi

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Mike (5th October 2017), RunningDeer (6th October 2017)

7. Link to Post #584
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,309 times in 5,692 posts

Hey Akasha, yep, definitely a choice to live there. No doubt. They certainly know what they're getting into. As far as having vegan food shipped there though....very expensive and impractical. Some of those people live hundreds of miles from the nearest store and have to have goods shipped via airplane.

My attempts at veganism have been pretty crude, to be honest. I told a story somewhere on Avalon about doing several months with a buddy, as a sort of experiment...and we both ate way too much tofu, I can tell you that. He actually grew what are commonly known as "man boobs", likely due to what I later found out are the feminizing elements in the soy. He was guzzling soy milk like water. I didn't touch it. I was lucky. But I was eating a ton of tofu, and farting non stop. It was absurd. After a few months I was totally exasperated. It was like having interminable hiccups or something. That was my first real foray into veganism. I was eating lots of stir fry. Lots of fried veggies with tofu. And lots of soft snack foods. So I didn't do it right, by any means.

My second attempt was a little better. I bought a juicer and left out all soy products and soft snack foods. But I think I drank way too much fruit juice this time around. It left my teeth in rough shape. In all fairness, it did give me a boost, but I felt kind of manic and jittery. Perhaps if I'd eaten more veggies and not so much fruit that would have helped.

My 3rd attempt I DID eat more green, leafy veggies..but I was crapping them out in record time....i just wasn't digesting much of it properly. I got discouraged pretty quick and only lasted a few weeks this time around.

I'll try again at some point. I'm much more knowledgeable now so it might actually stick. Thanks for the vids. Good stuff.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Akasha (5th October 2017), drneglector (9th October 2017), RunningDeer (6th October 2017), Wind (6th October 2017)

9. Link to Post #585
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Mike (here)
    Hey Akasha, yep, definitely a choice to live there. No doubt. They certainly know what they're getting into. As far as having vegan food shipped there though....very expensive and impractical. Some of those people live hundreds of miles from the nearest store and have to have goods shipped via airplane.

My attempts at veganism have been pretty crude, to be honest. I told a story somewhere on Avalon about doing several months with a buddy, as a sort of experiment...and we both ate way too much tofu, I can tell you that. He actually grew what are commonly known as "man boobs", likely due to what I later found out are the feminizing elements in the soy. He was guzzling soy milk like water. I didn't touch it. I was lucky. But I was eating a ton of tofu, and farting non stop. It was absurd. After a few months I was totally exasperated. It was like having interminable hiccups or something. That was my first real foray into veganism. I was eating lots of stir fry. Lots of fried veggies with tofu. And lots of soft snack foods. So I didn't do it right, by any means.

My second attempt was a little better. I bought a juicer and left out all soy products and soft snack foods. But I think I drank way too much fruit juice this time around. It left my teeth in rough shape. In all fairness, it did give me a boost, but I felt kind of manic and jittery. Perhaps if I'd eaten more veggies and not so much fruit that would have helped.

My 3rd attempt I DID eat more green, leafy veggies..but I was crapping them out in record time....i just wasn't digesting much of it properly. I got discouraged pretty quick and only lasted a few weeks this time around.

I'll try again at some point. I'm much more knowledgeable now so it might actually stick. Thanks for the vids. Good stuff.
    I’d recommend a Vitamix. A bit pricy but it’s ended up being a much better investment than our juicer which is now all but redundant. I make my own almond milk with it 2 or 3 times a week. It’s the way forward - much nicer than any plant milk you can buy and a fraction of the cost. 100g almonds, 1 litre warm water, 2 tsp sugar, 1/4 tsp salt. Blend. Sieve (with a fine mesh stocking). Done! I even make almond cheese with the pulp and some garlic, lemon juice, salt, nutritional yeast and olive oil. Again, blended in the Vitamix and then baked for 20 minutes - easy!

My partner avoids all soy products. Me less so. I still love marinating tofu and tempeh and then grilling or frying with stir fries once or twice a week although in general we’ve been substituting soy for squash of one description or another (we’ve got a garden full at the moment and it should last us till at least February or March). Millet has also become a staple recently being used for substituting granulated soya very effectively, allowing us to make patties and stuffings for various dishes, well seasoned of course. Other legumes such as lentils and chickpeas are also potential powerhouses as I'm sure you know although they can exacerbate wind if not prepared properly. Chickpeas need to be soaked until they've doubled in size and then be rinsed well before being cooked.
    Regarding wind brought on by a vegan diet in general, there is often a certain time period required to allow the gut biome to adjust or even be replaced by other flora more suited to the task and it may have been this process (unfinished) which led to the the more explosive experiences you described.

Like I said before, perhaps just try going in that direction one meal at a time rather than cold turkey. You may have more success and you’ll more easily be able to identify the meals which work and those which don’t.

Good luck!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Mike (5th October 2017), RunningDeer (6th October 2017)

11. Link to Post #586
    Canada Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Akasha (here)
    Quote Posted by Joey (here)
    …..This is 1000’s of years of knowledge which in my view cant be denied…..
    This guy's denying it and he's a heart surgeon, and he's vegan, and he's 98 years old:

Oooops, sorry, he's not 98, he's 99:

Ohhh shoot, did I say 99? I meant 100:

What is this knowledge that can't be ignored 'cos I'm afraid I just don't see it.
    Ive seen ppl from Japan ''NOT'' vegan 140 yrs young, looking better than Ellsworth.
    Okanowa.

12. Link to Post #587
    Thanks

Quote Posted by DivineFemi9 (here)
    .....Ive seen ppl from Japan ''NOT'' vegan 140 yrs young, looking better than Ellsworth.
    Okanowa.....
    From Wiki on the Okinawan subject:
    Quote The dietary intake of Okinawans compared to other Japanese circa 1950 shows that Okinawans consumed: fewer total calories (1785 vs. 2068), less polyunsaturated fat (4.8% of calories vs. 8%), less rice (154g vs. 328g), significantly less wheat, barley and other grains (38g vs. 153g), less sugars (3g vs. 8g), more legumes (71g vs. 55g), significantly less fish (15g vs. 62g), significantly less meat and poultry (3g vs. 11g), less eggs (1g vs. 7g), less dairy (<1g vs. 8g), much more sweet potatoes (849g vs. 66g), less other potatoes (2g vs. 47g), less fruit (<1g vs. 44g), and no pickled vegetables (0g vs. 42g). [4] In short, the Okinawans circa 1950 ate sweet potatoes for 849 grams of the 1262 grams of food that they consumed, which constituted 69% of their total calories.[4] (click here for Wiki Page)
    Looking at the figures you can see clearly that they are orders of magnitude more plant-based than their mainland counterparts.

Welcome to the thread and the forum btw .
    Last edited by Akasha; 7th October 2017 at 20:20. Reason: forgot Wiki link

13. Link to Post #588
    Thanks

McDonalds has just released the McVegan......in Finland only! It's just a market trial at this stage but it's certainly a step in the right direction from what has been one of the most consistantly offensive fast food chains on the planet.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

DeDukshyn (9th October 2017)

15. Link to Post #589
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,445 times in 8,541 posts

McDonalds has just released the McVegan......in Finland only! It's just a market trial at this stage but it's certainly a step in the right direction from what has been one of the most consistantly offensive fast food chains on the planet.
    Well I recall many years back (here in Canada anyway) the McDonald's "veggie" burger ... most disgusting thing I have ever tasted. I only tried it because I had had a veggie burger from Canadian burger chain Harvey's and it was one of the best burgers I had ever had (meat or not). I thought "veggie burgers are wonderful! I'll have to try some from different vendors". McDonald's pulled their veggie burger from their menu not long after that citing it "was not popular enough to keep on the menu."

So I fear that Macdonald's might end up the same route with the vegan burger -- it's not that people don't want a veggie or vegan burger, the question is, can we trust Mdonald's not to screw the offering up to its customers?

Harvey's has been offering their veggie burger (which apparently is actually vegan) for about 15 years now and it always gets rave reviews, (their gravy is also vegan), so I know a fast food chain can cater properly to those with meatless preferences and make it popular ... the question is only whether they put enough effort into it.

We'll see if this one lasts ... hopefully it doesn't taste horrible ...
    Last edited by DeDukshyn; 9th October 2017 at 23:59.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Akasha (10th October 2017)

17. Link to Post #590
    Thanks

Quote Posted by DeDukshyn (here)
    Well I recall many years back (here in Canada anyway) the McDonald's "veggie" burger ... most disgusting thing I have ever tasted. I only tried it because I had had a veggie burger from Canadian burger chain Harvey's and it was one of the best burgers I had ever had (meat or not). I thought "veggie burgers are wonderful! I'll have to try some from different vendors". McDonald's pulled their veggie burger from their menu not long after that citing it "was not popular enough to keep on the menu."

So I fear that Macdonald's might end up the same route with the vegan burger -- it's not that people don't want a veggie or vegan burger, the question is, can we trust Mdonald's not to screw the offering up to its customers?

Harvey's has been offering their veggie burger (which apparently is actually vegan) for about 15 years now and it always gets rave reviews, (their gravy is also vegan), so I know a fast food chain can cater properly to those with meatless preferences and make it popular ... the question is only whether they put enough effort into it.

We'll see if this one lasts ... hopefully it doesn't taste horrible ...
    Agreed.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the day when the Impossible Burger and the Beyond Burger will be available to any burger joint to serve up, as well as being available in Eastern European supermarkets and health food shops (not holding my breath on either of those points tbh).
    You are very lucky, D. You can buy the Beyond Burger from Whole foods already if I'm not mistaken, although the elusive Impossible burger appears to be still only available at selected restaurants in the US.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

DeDukshyn (11th October 2017)

19. Link to Post #591
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,300 times in 18,139 posts

Intermittent Fasting: Holy Grail or Fail?

Mic. the Vegan
    Published on Oct 20, 2017

A look at studies on how it affects growth hormones, testosterone, fat loss, muscle gain, and whether or not it's an eating disorder.

Links and Sources

20. The Following User Says Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Akasha (21st October 2017)

21. Link to Post #592
    Thanks

.....so I only just got round to doing the following and it has really transformed my life on a vegan diet, mainly because I’m not living in a region of the world where these products are available at the local organic shop. What am I talking about? Real cheese!!! When I say real, I mean live with a pro-biotic culture to give that authentic cheesy tang and depth of flavour. It’s still early days for me but, like I said, my vegan diet is now next level…..

Basic but comprehensive cheese making video:

Rejuvelac making video:

I’ve also gone one stage further than Zach did in the first video and that is by adding agar powder before the refrigeration stage for an even firmer cheese. Dissolve one tablespoon of agar powder in half a cup of water, bring to the boil slowly with a lid on the pan and then simmer for 2-5 minutes while whisking thoroughly, then add the cream cheese, stirring in quickly to prevent “agar strings” forming from the cooling down process. After that, leave the cheese to cool down slowly and then refrigerate. The cheese is now ready to eat or age depending on your taste / will power.

22. Link to Post #593
    Thanks

The ‘Happiest Man in the World’ Wants You to Go Vegan

Quote Buddhist monk and renowned author Matthieu Ricard, who has been called the “happiest man in the world”, has teamed up with PETA France to reveal why he thinks going vegan is the key to lasting happiness.

Matthieu explains that animals deserve to live a life free from suffering and exploitation:
    “I am extremely concerned by the fate of the 8 million other species who share this world with us, and who, like us, wish to avoid suffering and live out their lives”.

The meat and fishing industries kills trillions of animals every year to satisfy humans’ taste for flesh. Cows, pigs, chickens, and other animals are often kept inside filthy, extremely crowded sheds for the duration of their short lives before being carted off to an abattoir. The dairy industry forcibly impregnates cows and takes their offspring away so that the milk intended for calves can be consumed by humans, causing both mothers and calves to suffer immensely. Furthermore, the majority of chickens in the UK’s egg industry are confined to tiny battery-style cages – and even “free-range” birds can be crammed into sheds by the thousands.

Matthieu goes on to highlight the shocking amount of grain that is fed to farmed animals instead of to hungry humans as well as the recent World Health Organisation report confirming that eating meat is detrimental to our health.

If you try eating vegan, you’ll be making a meaningful positive change for animals, the planet, and your own health……(full article and video here)

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

gnostic9 (13th November 2017)

24. Link to Post #594
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,349 times in 1,707 posts

Presenting the effect of soy on the masculinity of men. PJW gets into the topic at the 3.00 minute mark. COLOURFUL LANGUAGE WARNING.

Paul Joseph Watson
    Published on Nov 16, 2017
    SUBSCRIBE 1.1M

Is soy food turning men into massive wimps?
    Last edited by BMJ; 18th November 2017 at 14:26.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to BMJ For This Post:

Akasha (20th November 2017)

26. Link to Post #595
    Thanks

Quote Posted by BMJ (here)
    Presenting the effect of soy on the masculinity of men. PJW gets into the topic at the 3.00 minute mark. COLOURFUL LANGUAGE WARNING.

Paul Joseph Watson
    Published on Nov 16, 2017
    SUBSCRIBE 1.1M

Is soy food turning men into massive wimps?
    No, but beer and chicken is.

Richard (Vegan Gains), pounds PJW into the ground with study after study not funded by the meat, dairy or egg industry or opinion pieces by quacks from the Weston A Price Foundation. Watch and weep (and learn), BMJ,......but in all seriousness, thanks for bringing up this modern myth. It's time it was put to bed (language warning in this video too).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnPcefBIbec

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

BMJ (21st November 2017)

28. Link to Post #596
    Thanks

Want to enjoy The Impossible Burger in your local restaurant? Well Impossible Foods have finally created a mechanism for this to happen. Go to the following link and plug in the details of your local restaurant and cross your fingers!

NB: Sadly, this scheme appears to be only open to restaurants in the USA. Maybe they'll figure out global distribution soon. Here's hopin'.
    Last edited by Akasha; 7th December 2017 at 08:19.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

RunningDeer (7th December 2017)

30. Link to Post #597
    Thanks

Are you interested in learning how to reverse type 2 diabetes naturally using a plant based diet? Plant Based News is PROUD to support Master Diabetes 2018, where you can Learn Exactly How to Reverse Insulin Resistance Using a Whole-Food, Plant-Based Diet. A FREE online summit running from March 28th - April 4th 2018. Lose weight, gain energy, and reduce your oral medication and insulin needs using your food as medicine.

Register here for free!

31. Link to Post #598
    Thanks

Got milk? Then watch this.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

DeDukshyn (5th April 2018), Libico (12th April 2018)

33. Link to Post #599
    Thanks

Cruelty-free fois gras? I present to you faux gras!

34. Link to Post #600
    Thanks

Oxidized cholesterol can be 100 times more toxic than regular cholesterol, raising additional concerns about foods such as ghee, canned tuna, processed meat and parmesan cheese.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 43 FirstFirst 1 20 30 40 43 LastLast