+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 43 FirstFirst 1 21 31 41 43 LastLast

Thread: All Things Vegan!

1. Link to Post #601
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,202 times in 1,393 posts

Default Re: All Things Vegan!

Infowars recently put out a video attempting to debunk veganism, in particular using the "globalisation tho'" card to fuel the arguement. What they uploaded was an 11 minute hit piece out of what was actually a half hour interview. Fortunately, the unedited interview was recorded to balalnce the scales. Unfortunately it will not get as many views as the Infowars video will, but at least it exists for those interested in what really happened.

Infowars hit piece:

Full interview in which Infowars' Millenial Millie is owned on pretty much every subject she brings up:

the greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated --- Gandhi

2. Link to Post #602
    United States Avalon Member cecilmeyer's Avatar
    Thanks

I have been on this forum for years and I can say meat eaters outnumber vegans many times over. I think for those of us who are vegan or vegetarian it is about not needlessly making an innocent creature suffer just because we like the taste. I just find it hard to enjoy a meal knowing some other being suffered a horrible life of torture just because I like the taste . Besides we humans do not need animal flesh. That is a fact not an opinion. If that was the case I would have died decades ago. Also there is no way Earth can sustain the meat industry in its present form. Earth does not have the resources to sustain,feed and process animals as they are doing in factory farming. It is just a matter of time before the meat industry cannot afford to stay in business. Many cultures have survived on little or no meat its just the meat eating cultures are always the ones they talk about.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cecilmeyer For This Post:

Akasha (20th July 2018), onevoice (17th June 2018)

4. Link to Post #603
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,394 times in 3,448 posts

One of my quotes: "Eating meat is vampirism, and a step or two up from cannibalism." ~Phillip Walker

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Omni For This Post:

Akasha (20th July 2018)

6. Link to Post #604
    United States Avalon Member cecilmeyer's Avatar
    Thanks

In fact, data collected over many decades showed that coronary artery disease is common in Greenland’s Inuit population. Heart disease is as frequent — or even more so — among native northern populations as it is for other populations. Strokes are particularly common, and life expectancy overall was found to be about a decade shorter among native populations.

The best estimates suggest that a diet emphasizing fish and blubber is, if anything, harmful for heart health. Northern natives pay an unfortunate price for the lack of availability of healthful foods. Huff post article.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cecilmeyer For This Post:

Akasha (20th July 2018), onevoice (17th June 2018)

8. Link to Post #605
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,466 times in 8,541 posts

Quote Posted by Akasha (here)
    Quote Posted by DeDukshyn (here)
    McDonalds has just released the McVegan......in Finland only! It's just a market trial at this stage but it's certainly a step in the right direction from what has been one of the most consistantly offensive fast food chains on the planet.
    Well I recall many years back (here in Canada anyway) the McDonald's "veggie" burger ... most disgusting thing I have ever tasted. I only tried it because I had had a veggie burger from Canadian burger chain Harvey's and it was one of the best burgers I had ever had (meat or not). I thought "veggie burgers are wonderful! I'll have to try some from different vendors". McDonald's pulled their veggie burger from their menu not long after that citing it "was not popular enough to keep on the menu."

So I fear that Macdonald's might end up the same route with the vegan burger -- it's not that people don't want a veggie or vegan burger, the question is, can we trust Mdonald's not to screw the offering up to its customers?

Harvey's has been offering their veggie burger (which apparently is actually vegan) for about 15 years now and it always gets rave reviews, (their gravy is also vegan), so I know a fast food chain can cater properly to those with meatless preferences and make it popular ... the question is only whether they put enough effort into it.

We'll see if this one lasts ... hopefully it doesn't taste horrible ...
    Agreed.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the day when the Impossible Burger and the Beyond Burger will be available to any burger joint to serve up, as well as being available in Eastern European supermarkets and health food shops (not holding my breath on either of those points tbh).
    You are very lucky, D. You can buy the Beyond Burger from Whole foods already if I'm not mistaken, although the elusive Impossible burger appears to be still only available at selected restaurants in the US.

Good news! ...

A&W Canada has just introduced the "Beyond Burger" patties into its menu. The Huffington post did a "taste test" to compare one of their meat burgers, vs their Beyond Burger vs their old veggie burger.

The vegan Beyond burger very easily beat out the old veggie burger ... and ... also beat out the real beef burger in a taste test conducted by meat eaters!! I'll have to give one of these a try, but I haven't seen them yet on their menu here (Calgary). Likely coming soon!

Quote ... Well, there you have it, folks. Looks like the Beyond Meat Burger "beet" out the real-meat Mama and the Veggie Deluxe ...
    Taste test here: https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/0...st_a_23479052/

Beyond Meat's announcement here: http://beyondmeat.com/whats-new/view...beyond-burger-

Quote The wait for Canadians to be able to sink their teeth into our revolutionary Beyond Burger is officially over! A&W Canada is the FIRST national burger chain in Canada, and our LARGEST restaurant partner yet, to add our juicy, plant-based Beyond Burger to its menu. Starting today, July 9th, anyone can order it from nearly all 1,000 A&W Canada locations.
    Last edited by DeDukshyn; 15th July 2018 at 16:37.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Akasha (20th July 2018)

10. Link to Post #606
    Language
    English
    Thanks

McDonalds has just released the McVegan......in Finland only! It's just a market trial at this stage but it's certainly a step in the right direction from what has been one of the most consistantly offensive fast food chains on the planet.
    Well I recall many years back (here in Canada anyway) the McDonald's "veggie" burger ... most disgusting thing I have ever tasted. I only tried it because I had had a veggie burger from Canadian burger chain Harvey's and it was one of the best burgers I had ever had (meat or not). I thought "veggie burgers are wonderful! I'll have to try some from different vendors". McDonald's pulled their veggie burger from their menu not long after that citing it "was not popular enough to keep on the menu."

So I fear that Macdonald's might end up the same route with the vegan burger -- it's not that people don't want a veggie or vegan burger, the question is, can we trust Mdonald's not to screw the offering up to its customers?

Harvey's has been offering their veggie burger (which apparently is actually vegan) for about 15 years now and it always gets rave reviews, (their gravy is also vegan), so I know a fast food chain can cater properly to those with meatless preferences and make it popular ... the question is only whether they put enough effort into it.

We'll see if this one lasts ... hopefully it doesn't taste horrible ...
    Agreed.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the day when the Impossible Burger and the Beyond Burger will be available to any burger joint to serve up, as well as being available in Eastern European supermarkets and health food shops (not holding my breath on either of those points tbh).
    You are very lucky, D. You can buy the Beyond Burger from Whole foods already if I'm not mistaken, although the elusive Impossible burger appears to be still only available at selected restaurants in the US.

... trim ...

Good news! ...

A&W Canada has just introduced the "Beyond Burger" patties into its menu. The Huffington post did a "taste test" to compare one of their meat burgers, vs their Beyond Burger vs their old veggie burger.

The vegan Beyond burger very easily beat out the old veggie burger ... and ... also beat out the real beef burger in a taste test conducted by meat eaters!! I'll have to give one of these a try, but I haven't seen them yet on their menu here (Calgary). Likely coming soon!

Quote ... Well, there you have it, folks. Looks like the Beyond Meat Burger "beet" out the real-meat Mama and the Veggie Deluxe ...
    Taste test here: https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/0...st_a_23479052/

Beyond Meat's announcement here: http://beyondmeat.com/whats-new/view...beyond-burger-

Quote The wait for Canadians to be able to sink their teeth into our revolutionary Beyond Burger is officially over! A&W Canada is the FIRST national burger chain in Canada, and our LARGEST restaurant partner yet, to add our juicy, plant-based Beyond Burger to its menu. Starting today, July 9th, anyone can order it from nearly all 1,000 A&W Canada locations.

To follow up on my previous post ... Yet more good news on this story ...

'Canada-Wide Shortage' Of Vegan Beyond Burger Is Due To 'Extreme Popularity' ...

Demand for the vegan Beyond Burger in Canadian fast food outlet A&W is so high that Canada is facing a nation-wide shortage of the patty.

The burger launched on July 9, in a build featuring lettuce, tomato, red onion, pickles, ketchup, mustard, 'Uncle sauce' and mayo. Ditching the sauce and mayo makes it plant-based.

But a number of customers have been unable to get their hands on it, leading numerous A&W outlets to post signs, with one saying: "We are out of Beyond Burgers. Due to a Canada-wide shortage and the extreme popularity of [the patty] we have run out. Many stores may still have them. We will continue serving them as we can get more. Thank you for making our new burger a success."

https://www.plantbasednews.org/post/...eme-popularity

Note that I am not a vegan and I don't think A&W is positioning this as a vegan product -- they merely refer to it as a "plant based burger" - as an alternative to a meat burger for everyone. It seems to almost be marketed to meat eaters, since I don't think they guarantee it to be free of having a few meat molecules - as I believe they cook them right next to the meat burgers, if I am not mistaken.

This is excellent, because it allows meat eaters to feel they can do their part for, if nothing else, of being environmentally responsible. It'll be the meat eaters that can leverage this change, since vegans are already "converts", and few and far between compared to regular omnivores.

This is exactly the right move that actual CAN make a difference as far as the environmental impact on the earth is concerned.

Edit: I almost forgot to mention, I had one of these today, and it was fantastic! I challenge any meat eater, who likes a burger and isn't afraid of the occasional "fast food" to try one of these. I can almost guarantee you will be impressed!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Akasha (20th July 2018), Orph (19th July 2018)

12. Link to Post #607
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,194 times in 437 posts

An article from Mercola expresses concern over the burger and the way it is made. It appears to have genetically engineered components.

"Contrary to lab grown meat,6 the meat substitute created by Impossible Foods contains a mix of wheat, coconut oil, potatoes and "heme," the latter of which is derived from genetically engineered (GE) yeast. Impossible Foods was founded in 2011 by Pat Brown, a Stanford University chemist.

A primary ingredient in the Impossible Burger is GE soy leghemoglobin, which releases a heme-like protein when broken down. This protein is what gives the plant-based patty its meatlike look, taste and texture, and makes the patty "bleed" when cooked.

While the company refers to it as "heme," technically, plants produce non-heme iron.7 Heme iron only occurs in meat and seafood. A main difference between heme and non-heme iron has to do with their absorbability. Plant-based non-heme iron is less readily absorbed.

This is one of the reasons why vegans are at higher risk of iron deficiency anemia than meat eaters. Moreover, while soy leghemoglobin is found in the roots of soybean plants, the company is recreating it using GE yeast. As explained on the company website:8

"Heme is exceptionally abundant in animal muscle — and it's a basic building block of life in all organisms, including plants. We discovered how to take heme from plants and produce it using fermentation … We genetically engineer yeast to make a key ingredient: heme. The process allows us to produce the Impossible Burger at scale with the lowest achievable environmental impact.

We start with the gene for a protein called leghemoglobin, a heme protein that is naturally found in the root nodules of soy plants … We add the soy leghemoglobin gene to a yeast strain, and grow the yeast via fermentation. Then we isolate the leghemoglobin, or heme, from the yeast. We add heme to the Impossible Burger to give it the intense, meaty flavor, aroma and cooking properties of animal meat."

Possible Risks of the Impossible Burger

While the meatless patties are now sold in nearly 2,000 restaurants across the U.S., questions remain about its long-term safety for human health. Friends of the Earth, an environmental activism group with an international following, has pointed out that we do not yet know enough about the health effects of eating this kind of fake meat, and that its speedy market release is foolhardy at best.

In its report "From Lab to Fork: Critical Questions on Laboratory-Created Animal Product Alternatives"9 released June 2018, Friends of the Earth calls for more stringent safety assessments, regulations and labeling requirements. Dana Perls, a Friends of the Earth food and agriculture campaigner, told Bloomberg,10 "We need real data. People have been clear that they want real, truly sustainable organic food, as opposed to venture capitalist hype which could lead us down the wrong path."

The report highlights a number of health and safety concerns and environmental impacts hidden beneath "climate-friendly" claims. It also points out the lack of substantiation for "clean meat," "animal-free," "plant-based" and "sustainable" claims. As reported by Bloomberg:11

"Friends of the Earth has raised concerns about 'heme,' the protein derived from genetically engineered yeast that Impossible Foods said gives the burger its faux meatiness. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has asked for more "direct" evidence of safety as well as more testing on allergens, as reported by The New York Times12 last summer.

'It needs to be done by a third party,' Perls said of testing heme, with research 'on long-term health implications.' Impossible Foods said a panel of experts it hired has twice determined the substance to be safe, in 2014 and 2017."

GRAS Designation Is Often Meaningless When It Comes to Novel Ingredients

To those familiar with how the system works, however, the hiring of "a panel of experts" to confirm safety brings little to no comfort. As explained in my 2015 article, "Flawed GRAS System Lets Novel Chemicals Into Food Supply Without FDA Safety Review," a company can simply hire an industry insider to evaluate a brand-new ingredient, and if that individual determines that the ingredient in question meets federal safety standards, it can be deemed "generally recognized as safe" or GRAS, with no further independent third party evaluation being required.

That's what happened here.13 The fact that Impossible Foods hired and paid for the panel members to do the GRAS evaluation of Impossible Burger's key ingredient, soy leghemoglobin made from GE yeast, is reason enough to take the safety claim with a grain of salt. As noted by U.S. Right to Know (USRTK) reporter Stacy Malkan:14

"The three food researchers who wrote the expert panel report that Impossible Foods submitted to the FDA — Joseph Borzelleca, Michael Pariza and Steve Taylor — are on a short list of scientists the 'food industry turns to over and over again' to obtain GRAS status …

[A]ll three served on the Phillip Morris Scientific Advisory Board, according to a 2015 investigation by the Center for Public Integrity [CPI], 'The Misinformation Industry: Food safety scientists have ties to Big Tobacco'15 … '[C]ritics of the GRAS system say Borzelleca is emblematic of a system that is rife with conflicts of interest,' CPI reported."

According to the FDA, the research included in the company's GRAS notification (which is voluntary) was inadequate and could not, in fact, establish safety. Importantly, the company's assessment of allergenicity was lacking. However, as permitted by GRAS rules, Impossible Foods simply withdrew its voluntary GRAS notification and began marketing its meatless burger without the FDA's official blessing.
    How Environmentally Friendly Are Meat Substitutes?

According to Friends of the Earth, sustainability claims need to be backed up by a full environmental impact assessment, starting with the product's creation and ending with its disposal. Meat substitutes often require water, chemicals and fossil fuel inputs, and in that respect, differ little from conventional agriculture.

According to an Environmental Science and Technology study16 published in 2015, lab-grown meat where the meat is cultured from stem cells actually requires more energy than conventional agriculture. As explained in the study's abstract:

"Cultured, or in vitro, meat consists of edible biomass grown from animal stem cells in a factory, or carnery. In the coming decades, in vitro biomass cultivation could enable the production of meat without the need to raise livestock.

Using an anticipatory life cycle analysis framework, the study described herein examines the environmental implications of this emerging technology and compares the results with published impacts of beef, pork, poultry, and another speculative analysis of cultured biomass.

While uncertainty ranges are large, the findings suggest that in vitro biomass cultivation could require smaller quantities of agricultural inputs and land than livestock; however, those benefits could come at the expense of more intensive energy use as biological functions such as digestion and nutrient circulation are replaced by industrial equivalents.

From this perspective, large-scale cultivation of in vitro meat and other bioengineered products could represent a new phase of industrialization with inherently complex and challenging trade-offs."

As noted by Perls, "We've had the experience of watching the environmental impacts of some food products, and we really can't afford to create more unsustainable food systems that take us in another wrong direction" — which is precisely what the fake meat industry is doing, and in more ways than one. Aside from the fact that it doesn't appear to have any regenerative capabilities that would benefit the ecosystem, there's also the issue of health effects.
    Ultra-Processed Foods Linked to Increased Cancer Risk

A number of studies have highlighted the risks of ultra-processed foods, showing they raise your risk of cancer, and the more ultra-processed foods you eat, the greater your risk.17,18,19,20 In one, which included nearly 105,000 participants followed for an average of five years, an average of 18 percent of their diet was ultra-processed, and each 10 percent increase in ultra-processed food raised the cancer rate by 12 percent, which worked out to nine additional cancer cases per 10,000 people per year.

The risk of breast cancer specifically went up by 11 percent for every 10 percent increase in ultra-processed food. While sugar and unhealthy fats are key staple ingredients suspected of causing these effects, there's reason to believe fake meat might have a similar impact, for the simple fact that the human body is not designed to process fake meat. Never in the history of mankind has GE yeast been a major part of our diet.

Research21 has also linked poor diet to an increased risk of cardiometabolic mortality (death resulting from Type 2 diabetes, heart disease and stroke). According to the authors, suboptimal intake of key foods such as fruits, vegetables, nuts and animal-based omega-3, along with excessive consumption of processed foods such as processed meats and sweetened beverages accounted for more than 45 percent of all cardiometabolic deaths in 2012.

If processed meat (as opposed to unprocessed meat like steak) is a well-established contributor to cancer and ill health, what assurances do we have that lab-created GE yeast-derived meat substitutes are going to be any safer, let alone an actual boon to our health?

Angered by the apparent distrust expressed by folks concerned about the introduction of fake meats, Impossible Foods chief communications officer Rachel Konrad accused critics of being "anti-science fundamentalists" spouting "preposterous propaganda,"22 and that Friends of the Earth has a "total disregard for science, facts and reality."23
    Defender of Toxins Runs Propaganda Machine for Fake Meats

According to the American Council on Science and Health (ACSH), Bloomberg is an example of "corporate science media" that should not be trusted.24 The irony of the situation is extreme, to say the least, considering the ACSH is a toxic industry front group serving masters such as the tobacco and pesticide industries.

ACSH is the "science experts" the fake meat industry is now relying on to spread the gospel of cruelty-free, environmentally sound meatless meat, which alone should set off warning bells among those familiar with tobacco and chemical industry PR tactics.

Inexplicably, ACSH is still being treated as a reputable information source by mainstream media, despite the fact that health, environmental, labor and public-interest groups have urged media outlets to stop publishing ACSH content25 — or at least require that it be identified for what it truly is: a corporate front group.

In an EcoWatch commentary, Malkan points out how Impossible Foods is trying to manipulate the public discussion by redirecting you to its own carefully vetted sources, all of whom are well-recognized spin-masters for toxic industries:26

"Instead of enduring the bias of Bloomberg, Konrad tells us, we should take heart in the rise of Mark Lynas, a promoter of GMOs and pesticides who communicates inaccurate information about science, according to scientists and food experts.

Konrad's article also links to a column by Ted Nordhaus, who sits on the board of the parent organization of Genetic Literacy Project, a chemical industry propaganda group that attacks cancer scientists as part of its role as an 'industry partner' in Monsanto's public relations strategy to protect Roundup weed killer from cancer concerns.

The false and inflammatory messaging these front groups use to promote genetically engineered foods, defend pesticides, ignore health and environmental risks and silence consumer and environmental advocates goes a long way toward explaining why the GMO industry isn't winning consumer trust …

Impossible Foods had the opportunity to write a new story, and build trust with an open, transparent process that respects consumer concerns. They blew it. Impossible Burger's new genetically engineered protein is new to the human food supply, and we are supposed to trust the manufacturer to vouch for its safety. But the company's process hasn't inspired trust."

Industrial Agriculture Needs Major Overhaul, but Eliminating Nature Is Not the Answer

Creating patented lab-grown meat products is not about feeding the world or eliminating animal suffering. It's about dominating billionaires looking to put patents on the food system. While many view lab-created meat substitutes as the lesser of two evils when comparing it to conventional factory farmed meat that currently dominates the market, taking nature out of the equation altogether is not the answer, especially since holistic herd management is an integral part of the regenerative agriculture equation.

When animals are raised according to regenerative agriculture, a complete ecosystem is created, one that is both healing for the land and productive for the farmers who keep it. Eating meat is not synonymous with harming the environment; it's industrial farming practices that inflict the damage. Some also believe eating meat means ripping out more forests so animals can graze, but I'm certainly not advocating for that.

U.S. cropland is currently dominated by a two-crop planting cycle of corn and soybeans, largely for animal feed. Like concentrated animal feeding operations, these monocrops are devastating the environment, and even though they're plant foods, are part of the problem, not the solution.

Getting rid of these large swaths of corn and soy fields, which, if you've ever visited one, you'll know are chemical-laden and largely devoid of life, is key, as is reverting them back to what they were before, namely grasslands for grazing animals.

Grasslands are key to fixing many environmental problems, and herbivores are a necessary part of this ecosystem. By mimicking the natural behavior of migratory herds of wild grazing animals — meaning allowing livestock to graze freely, and moving the herd around in specific patterns — farmers can support nature's efforts to regenerate and thrive.

This kind of land management system promotes the reduction of atmospheric carbon dioxide (CO2) by sequestering it back into the soil where it can do a lot of good. Once in the earth, the CO2 can be safely stored for hundreds of years and adds to the soil's fertility.

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/a..._rid=368708744

Trisher

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trisher For This Post:

Akasha (20th July 2018), Franny (8th August 2018), RunningDeer (18th July 2018)

14. Link to Post #608
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Trisher (here)
    An article from Mercola expresses concern over the burger and the way it is made. It appears to have genetically engineered components.
    What is this, "... the burger ..." you reference? you seem to be referencing my post, but just to be clear, you are talking about a different product altogether, made by an entirely different company. There is no "heme" in the beyond burger.

But "impossible" ... "beyond" almost the same word, easy to mix up. I understand your confusion. lol

Here's a serious reminder of why we need meat alternatives ... https://blog.pachamama.org/how-anima...cts-our-planet

Excerpt:
    Quote Every second, 1-2 acres of rainforest are cleared for grazing livestock or growing animal feed. Up to 137 plant, animal and insect species are lost every day because of the destruction of these biodiverse regions of our planet. Specifically within the Amazon rainforest— the home for at least 10 percent of the world’s known biodiversity— 91 percent of deforestation is caused by livestock.
    Last edited by DeDukshyn; 19th July 2018 at 01:38.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Akasha (20th July 2018), Bo Atkinson (4th September 2018), Trisher (19th July 2018)

16. Link to Post #609
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,194 times in 437 posts

Thank you for pointing this out DeDukshyn. I did have them confused. The impossible burger is another kind of burger altogether to the Beyond burger and one that should be avoided.

Trisher

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trisher For This Post:

Akasha (20th July 2018), DeDukshyn (19th July 2018), Orph (19th July 2018)

18. Link to Post #610
    Thanks

In the grand scheme of things, the Impossible burger is just trying to fill a niche created by compassion and ecology. If it turns out to be just as unhealthy as its cruelty-laden counterpart, so be it. At least the suffering of innocent animals will have been reduced. And on the subject of GM, let's not forget how many cows are currently being raised on GM crops, the cultivation of which, as DeDukshyn mentioned earlier, is responsible for much of the ongoing wholesale destruction of the rain forest.

In case people missed it, here's Cowspiracy (the top linked documentary in DeDukshyn's Pachamama link). It seems to have evaded removal by Youtube because of its Hungarian title.

the greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated --- Gandhi

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

DeDukshyn (20th July 2018), Ernie Nemeth (20th July 2018), Trisher (21st July 2018)

20. Link to Post #611
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,614 times in 5,382 posts

In the grand scheme of things, the Impossible burger is just trying to fill a niche created by compassion and ecology. If it turns out to be just as unhealthy as its cruelty-laden counterpart, so be it. At least the suffering of innocent animals will have been reduced. And on the subject of GM, let's not forget how many cows are currently being raised on GM crops, the cultivation of which, as DeDukshyn mentioned earlier, is responsible for much of the ongoing wholesale destruction of the rain forest.

In case people missed it, here's Cowspiracy (the top linked documentary in DeDukshyn's Pachamama link). It seems to have evaded removal by Youtube because of its Hungarian title.

nehez nekem magyrul olvasni

kar hogy sose nem tonultam meg hogy kel

persze nem toddok irni sem...haha
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

Free will can only be as free as the mind that conceives it.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Akasha (27th July 2018)

22. Link to Post #612
    Thanks

Just came across some new drone footage of a modern US dairy operation and it is gobsmacking in its scale. Praying it'll all be transformed into organic almond groves in the not too distant future.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Franny (8th August 2018)

24. Link to Post #613
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,662 times in 8,694 posts

If it turns out to be just as unhealthy as its cruelty-laden counterpart, so be it.

Hmmm... only part that is unhealthy as the "cruel" meat is the veggies that are included with it... LOTS of research comming out on carnivore only diets... apparently it's amazingly healthy for you.

Balanced approaches are best, (red) Meat is exceedingly healthy for you when eating with out the wrong plants/sugars involved.

\

eating for morals or eating for health... that appears to be the question (for some) currently.
    Last edited by TargeT; 8th August 2018 at 20:30.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

25. The Following User Says Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Akasha (8th August 2018)

26. Link to Post #614
    Thanks

Quote Posted by TargeT (here)
    If it turns out to be just as unhealthy as its cruelty-laden counterpart, so be it.

Hmmm... only part that is unhealthy as the "cruel" meat is the veggies that are included with it... LOTS of research comming out on carnivore only diets... apparently it's amazingly healthy for you.

Balanced approaches are best, Meat is exceedingly healthy for you when eating with out the wrong plants/sugars involved.

\

eating for morals or eating for health... that appears to be the question (for some) currently.
    You did see Baker's blood results, right? Testosterone levels of a 90 year old granny and diabetic to boot. That's some next level "amazingly healthy" and no mistake.

You said "LOTS of research coming out on carnivore only diets". What? You mean anecdotal garbage from Baker and Peterson? Let's see some double blind, large scale, peer-reviewed material before we start jumping to conclusions, ok?

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Constance (8th August 2018), TargeT (8th August 2018)

28. Link to Post #615
    Thanks

Just lots of interesting studies that contradict what I've read before.

Plus I greatly respect Jordan Peterson, he's where I learned of the diet and started researching for myself (until this interview I never thought it was viable... listening only to vegan based information sources):

Plus my wife has switched to about a 80% red (unprocessed, often barely cooked) meat diet to great results.

I always find it interesting to find actual proof that my gut instincts ( I guess the pun is intended?) are right in the face of well established rhetoric to the contrary.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

29. The Following User Says Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Akasha (8th August 2018)

30. Link to Post #616
    Thanks

Quote Posted by TargeT (here)
    Just lots of interesting studies that contradict what I've read before.

Plus I greatly respect Jordan Peterson, he's where I learned of the diet and started researching for myself (until this interview I never thought it was viable... listening only to vegan based information sources):

Plus my wife has switched to about a 80% red (unprocessed, often barely cooked) meat diet to great results.

I always find it interesting to find actual proof that my gut instincts ( I guess the pun is intended?) are right in the face of well established rhetoric to the contrary.
    Maybe get your wife to do a blood test, just to be on the safe side, particularly if Sean Baker's results were anything to go by.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

TargeT (8th August 2018)

32. Link to Post #617
    Thanks

Maybe get your wife to do a blood test, just to be on the safe side, particularly if Sean Baker's results were anything to go by.
    just did a full workup, didn't find much so we started playing with diet with good results.

what ever works, that's my moto anymore... haha
    Where are you?

33. The Following User Says Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Akasha (9th August 2018)

34. Link to Post #618
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Just came across some new drone footage of a modern US dairy operation and it is gobsmacking in its scale. Praying it'll all be transformed into organic almond groves in the not too distant future.

Yeah ... when I heard about trump bitching about how Canada and other countries won't buy their "milk" products I was thinking ... "No one wants your filthy blood, puss and fear filled processed "milk" products ...". I am not saying Canada's "milk" farms are perfect by any stretch, but we at least have a few regulations to protect the animals (rBST is banned in Canada - Health Canada found that it "poses no risk to humans but does pose a risk to the health and well-being of the cows") ... but drinking another animal milk is plain weird when not necessary to assist survival or fully off grid living. That said, I do love cheese ... lol.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Akasha (9th August 2018), TargeT (9th August 2018)

36. Link to Post #619
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,394 times in 3,448 posts

Recently I switched from omnivore to vegetarian. I feel more healthy and it has improved my morale.

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Omni For This Post:

Akasha (9th August 2018), DeDukshyn (20th August 2018), TargeT (9th August 2018)

38. Link to Post #620
    Thanks

meh, we all are custom models, my only intent is to stop the polarization and supposition that there is "one way".......

that is IMPOSSIBLE...

I've cut myself down to the lowest non-plant (mostly biased against grains) diet I can, and it's doing amazing; but Id say the majority of it is my fasting and time restricted eating; but when I do consume eating unprocessed red meats seems to be good for me, and my wife (no doubt we were at least somewhat attracted to each other somewhat due to this).

I mean, there are examples...

seems similar to the vegan poster child's...
    I still say we should eat much more time restricted.

I will say, for me... eating time restricted heavy meat diet is extremely satiating and I gain muscle and loose visceral fat rapidly.
    Last edited by TargeT; 9th August 2018 at 04:42.
    Where are you?

39. The Following User Says Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Akasha (9th August 2018)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 43 FirstFirst 1 21 31 41 43 LastLast