+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst 1 5 15 43 LastLast

Thread: All Things Vegan!

1. Link to Post #81
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,162 times in 1,389 posts

Default Re: All Things Vegan!

Quote Posted by Hip Hipnotist (here)
    .....I looked down at Lily, the cat sleeping soundly on my lap and thought to myself, if I wouldn't eat you then why would I have ever eaten a ( insert your favorite flesh type here )?....
    How about dog? I'm sure many will have been well and truly social-media'd (did I just invent a new verb?) by the recent Yulin dog meat festival in China and the various protest memes which ensued. The barbarity of it has well and truly shaken our western values to the core.....except.........

the greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated --- Gandhi

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Agape (22nd June 2015), Earthlink (23rd June 2015), Hip Hipnotist (22nd June 2015), Pam (23rd June 2015), Wind (25th June 2015)

3. Link to Post #82
    United States Avalon Member Elainie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,546 times in 787 posts

I became vegetarian then vegan strictly for heart health reasons. However, after the effects of eating real food and developing some healthy, non-toxic brain cells something odd struck me. I looked down at Lily, the cat sleeping soundly on my lap and thought to myself, if I wouldn't eat you then why would I have ever eaten a ( insert your favorite flesh type here )? Is it because a cow is too heavy to sit on my lap? A deer will just get killed by a car so why not eat it first? A lamb is nothing but a wolf in sheep's clothing? I'd be called a 'chicken' for not eating a chicken? I'd be a 'quack' if I didn't eat duck?

My thought process/reasoning just did a three-sixty when I stopped consuming animal flesh. Jeez, I'm not even scared of bears anymore. Unless I see one.

I'll even go further and question why any human NEEDS to consume animal flesh. Yeah, I've seen/heard/read this, that and the other and am still not convinced. ( not that I need to be ) For every pro there's a con so no need to waste your time with so-called facts. This is what I believe. But something tells me that if all the fleshy animals that humans desire to consume all of sudden left the planet those that claim that animal flesh is necessary for a 'healthy being' would not only be healthier but would be here typing this instead of me.

Actually, many of you are.

I believe that many have been conditioned to think flesh is something one needs to consume in order to feel *good*. I also believe that you can make an internal shift in the opposite direction, live on just plants and be perfectly health. We don't often hear about the role of the mind influencing this.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Elainie For This Post:

Akasha (22nd June 2015), drneglector (18th January 2016), Earthlink (23rd June 2015), Hip Hipnotist (22nd June 2015), Noir (23rd June 2015), Pam (23rd June 2015), Wind (25th June 2015)

5. Link to Post #83
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,241 times in 4,595 posts

I remember one day in Namgyal monastery in Dharamsala( it was few days this lasted, actually ) when summer turned too hot and there was an invasion of ladybirds ..
    beautiful as they're , they descended upon the place by thousands .
    Now i am not sure what would happen here in Europe under such circumstances but there , everyone went carefully picking the ladybirds and carrying them under trees , to save all those tiny lives .
    The compassion in peoples eyes would make you cry ..

and yet , Tibetans in their homeland ate meat because some of those inhospitable mountain areas offered little else , summers were short and crops and vegetables generally limited , in old times and people often rise this issue with H.H.Dalailama to these days and how does compassion and meat eating go together .

The truth is , at least those people like most other cultures of old were conscious of what they did and ate and till now , we pray for the animal spirits to be liberated from the powers of samsara and low rebirth , to be freed from suffering .

Out of any context learned or acquired ..when I'm in sort of supra-conscious state and feel sensitive to Life more than usually , there's a sense of marvel on encountering any form of life , the tiny insect even looks so special to me.

I know , this planet is overpopulated now but does it make Life less precious ?

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Agape For This Post:

Akasha (22nd June 2015), Elainie (22nd June 2015), Hip Hipnotist (22nd June 2015), Wind (25th June 2015)

7. Link to Post #84
    United States Avalon Member Hip Hipnotist's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,153 times in 314 posts

The above video expresses pretty much what I 'expressed' in my most recent post.

The challenge, I believe, as it was for me was that in order for me to understand how negative it is to eat animal flesh ( especially for them ) was to stop eating it first. Only then was I able to think clearly enough to realize how conditioned I was to 'believe' I needed to consume animal flesh. So therein lies the rub. The catch 22. The chicken or the egg. How does one get to that 'realization' without first stopping the 'crime'. Yes. Crime.

There are many videos showing the atrocities committed on innocent animals just so humans can indulge their taste buds. And that, in my opinion, research and experience ( as a hypnotherapist ) is why humans consume animal flesh. Simply for taste. Little if anything to do with health. As has been stated many times on this forum and elsewhere it is 'conditioning'. Most of us know that if you ( well, not you but I'm sure you know someone? ) had to hunt and kill for dinner, like me, you'd be having the time of your life in a health food store.

So the 'conditioning' needs to be turned off.

But right now it's 100 degrees outside so I'll keep it on for now. Air conditioning, that is.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hip Hipnotist For This Post:

Agape (22nd June 2015), Akasha (22nd June 2015), drneglector (18th January 2016), Elainie (22nd June 2015), OopsWrongPlanet? (17th October 2018), Wind (25th June 2015)

9. Link to Post #85
    Thanks

Has anyone else read this blog (listened to the videos)? I feel he goes over facts pretty well. http://plantpositive.com/

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Elainie For This Post:

Agape (22nd June 2015), Akasha (22nd June 2015), Hip Hipnotist (22nd June 2015), Noir (23rd June 2015), Pam (23rd June 2015)

11. Link to Post #86
    Thanks

Hip Hypnotist : Yes I believe that the meat eating habit so hard to undo - the toughest part for people - is about taste more than 'necessity' .
    One of the best examples of taste-habit formed indulgence is salt , NaCl yes . We get so used to the taste once we get the first 'yummier tasting food' as babies ,
    mum told me anyway that we find life difficult without it .
    Personally , salt craving is still mystery to me ( there are pros and cons with it like with all else though generally , I'm aware that giving it up would be the healthiest alternative ).
    The same goes for sweet tastes for many people , sugar became modern day drug and I've heard researchers talking about the brain chemistry with sugar craving is very similar to some other drug addictions.

Meat eating seems to be something very archetypal , sort of atavism for human race, memory of days when their best nutrition and social experience perhaps depended on it ,
    take cannibalism as an example of something modern day society would see as extremely barbarian yet .. many of our human ancestors did it .
    And there was - from what I heard and read - state of altered consciousness induced by consuming human flash , not surprising for all the beautiful enzymes and hormones and all it contains besides 'proteins' .

So I think that the whole paradigm of what to eat or not , in long historical profile observable in humans is much about cultivation of who we want to be ,
    way we choose, acknowledging or realising that unlike animals we have a choice ..

Back to topic ... we seem to be 'controversy addicts' here in that sense we end up exactly on the other side of the topic but hope it's tolerable.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Agape For This Post:

Akasha (22nd June 2015), drneglector (18th January 2016), Elainie (22nd June 2015), Hip Hipnotist (22nd June 2015), Pam (23rd June 2015), Wind (25th June 2015)

13. Link to Post #87
    Thanks

Quote Posted by ERK (here)
    Has anyone else read this blog (listened to the videos)? I feel he goes over facts pretty well. http://plantpositive.com/
    Just watched the first video in the list. Epic work! It's so encouraging to have vigilant minds such as Plant Positive to scientifically counter the pro-high fat movement. Subbed to the YT channel for sure! I don't want to miss anything else he feels is worth sharing!

Thanks so much for bringing him to the attention of this thread, ERK.

Standing Wave and Joey in particular, please take the time to go through his content. It's in your interests, really.
    the greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated --- Gandhi

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

drneglector (18th January 2016), Elainie (22nd June 2015), Hip Hipnotist (22nd June 2015)

15. Link to Post #88
    Thanks

Well, that's a great find.

That'll keep me up for the next month or so!

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hip Hipnotist For This Post:

Akasha (22nd June 2015), drneglector (18th January 2016), Elainie (22nd June 2015)

17. Link to Post #89
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Akasha (here)
    Just watched the first video in the list. Epic work! It's so encouraging to have vigilant minds such as Plant Positive to scientifically counter the pro-high fat movement. Subbed to the YT channel for sure! I don't want to miss anything else he feels is worth sharing!

Standing Wave and Joey in particular, please take the time to go through his content. It's in your interests, really.

It really is great stuff. Of course when I shared it with my paleo friends, they were more than dismayed and hostile towards the information.................sigh...............I try to look at things objectively and I haven't yet come across any substantial info that tells me meat eating is healthy, same goes for dairy etc;

Have to go attend my vegan carrot/corn *chowder* I am making for dinner (along with sprouted hummus, olives, almond flour crackers and salad).

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elainie For This Post:

Akasha (23rd June 2015), Hip Hipnotist (23rd June 2015)

19. Link to Post #90
    Thanks

Well, that's a great find.

That'll keep me up for the next month or so!

It's great stuff, he really dissects the popular fads going around.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elainie For This Post:

21. Link to Post #91
    Thanks

It really is great stuff. Of course when I shared it with my paleo friends, they were more than dismayed and hostile towards the information.................sigh...............I try to look at things objectively and I haven't yet come across any substantial info that tells me meat eating is healthy, same goes for dairy etc;

Have to go attend my vegan carrot/corn *chowder* I am making for dinner (along with sprouted hummus, olives, almond flour crackers and salad).
    I'll be right over. I promise I won't eat too much. And I'm actually funnier in person!

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hip Hipnotist For This Post:

Akasha (23rd June 2015), Elainie (23rd June 2015)

23. Link to Post #92
    Thanks

I'll be right over. I promise I won't eat too much. And I'm actually funnier in person!

Ah- you missed lunch today. Made a quinoa, mushroom and walnut burger, slathered on mustard, sliced beefsteak tomato and some avo and sandwiched it between butter lettuce leaves. I don't normally eat until later and made this for my vegan 3 year old and it smelled so good.........so I ate one. Vegan heaven!

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elainie For This Post:

Akasha (23rd June 2015), Earthlink (23rd June 2015), Hip Hipnotist (23rd June 2015)

25. Link to Post #93
    Thanks

ERK:
    Ah- you missed lunch today. Made a quinoa, mushroom and walnut burger, slathered on mustard, sliced beefsteak tomato and some avo and sandwiched it between butter lettuce leaves. I don't normally eat until later and made this for my vegan 3 year old and it smelled so good.........so I ate one. Vegan heaven!

Like mother like daughter, heh? I can only imagine how much illness I ( and my sister ) would have avoided had my mother been educated in nutrition. Of course, I only learned about 'real food' after almost expiring from the heart attack so wasn't able to influence my children ( adults now ) on the benefits of eating healthy. But you live and learn. If you're lucky, that is. Ignore nature's storehouse of abundant, invigorating 'fuel' and pay the price. "Pay me now or pay me later" as the saying goes, but you will pay me.

Well, sorry I missed lunch.

What's for dinner?

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hip Hipnotist For This Post:

Akasha (23rd June 2015), Elainie (23rd June 2015), Pam (23rd June 2015)

27. Link to Post #94
    Thanks

ERK:

Like mother like daughter, heh? I can only imagine how much illness I ( and my sister ) would have avoided had my mother been educated in nutrition. Of course, I only learned about 'real food' after almost expiring from the heart attack so wasn't able to influence my children ( adults now ) on the benefits of eating healthy. But you live and learn. If you're lucky, that is. Ignore nature's storehouse of abundant, invigorating 'fuel' and pay the price. "Pay me now or pay me later" as the saying goes, but you will pay me.

Well, sorry I missed lunch.

What's for dinner?

He's a boy! I do have 3 daughters though, two of them eat like I do, the 15 year old given a choice will eat outside food (cheese as she doesn't like meat nor eggs). No idea yet what I'm making for dinner! I need to conjure up something. I have broccoli that needs to be used so it might end up being some sort of rice salad with broccoli, olives, artichoke hearts, scallions, pine nuts and whatever else I see fit. Ok that sounds like a kitchen sink meal which it will be (using up what's in house/fridge).

Edited to add: out of the mouth of babes, I was watching something last night and the man died of a heart attack so my 3 almost 4 year old asked me what happened. I told him the man died of a heart attack. He then responded with this: Did the man eat cheeseburgers. LOL, I laughed and said most likely to which he replied, yes I'm sure he did eat cheeseburgers which clogged his heart (his oldest sister works in the hospital) and provides details sometimes of what goes on there- 99.9 % she says from bad eating/lifestyle choices. One of the main MD's she works with there is a plant based cardiologist. So yes my 3 year old has been educated on which foods create disease. In paramedic school the running joke or not so much of a joke is that the most popular place for coronary calls is the 5 Guys burger joint, which is true/fact.
    Last edited by Elainie; 23rd June 2015 at 18:31.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elainie For This Post:

29. Link to Post #95
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,393 times in 3,308 posts

ERK, thanks for the plantpositive site. I am quite excited about the offerings provided there and look forward to further discussion after reviewing some of the information.

Pam

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pam For This Post:

Akasha (23rd June 2015), Elainie (23rd June 2015), Hip Hipnotist (23rd June 2015)

31. Link to Post #96
    Thanks

The Quest For The Cures

If this series hasn't already been posted ( Can't believe it wouldn't have been ) it's a must see. It doesn't only relate to 'curing' cancer but pretty much any disease.

What's the cure?

One word...

FOOD!

I believe it's a 10 or 12 part series, each a little over an hour, but soooo worth the time. Of course, most participating in this thread are aware of this 'healing' information but for those that may be visiting, YOU know who you are and aren't quite convinced of the 'curing nature' of real food, this series is for YOU!

and you can't beat the price of admission...

FREE!

Bon appetit!!

The rest, I believe, are available on Youtube.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hip Hipnotist For This Post:

Akasha (23rd June 2015), Earthlink (23rd June 2015), Elainie (23rd June 2015)

33. Link to Post #97
    Thanks

……A team led by Jared Piazza, a psychologist at Lancaster University, wanted to find out more about the ways omnivores rationalize their meat consumption. To do so, they jumped off the work of Melanie Joy, the social psychologist and author of the wonderfully titled Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs, and Wear Cows: An Introduction to Carnism. Joy introduced the "Three Ns of Justification" for meat-eating…..Rest of article in link below:

http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2015/06...re-scienceofus
    More Joy, I say…..especially if it's Melanie!

TBH I'm ashamed to say she'd fallen off my radar ever since I shared her Carnism - The Psychology of Eating Meat presentation here, so when ERK shared the related article above, I googled her to see if she'd expanded on what she was sharing back in 2012….and I'm pleased to announce that she has!

In one of her more recent presentations (July last year) entitled Speaking Truth to Power- Vegan Advocacy and Social Justice, she illustrates how carnism has, in the face of veganism, transformed into what she describes as neocarnism.
    Her earlier material highlighted what she described as the 3 N's - eating animals is normal, natural and necessary, but given the impact of an expanding vegan community on collective consciousness, the 3 N's have had to adapt. In the case of the notion that eating animals is normal, what she describes as compassionate carnism has appeared with attention towards animal welfare. To support the natural meme, locally sourced, environmentally friendly ecocarnism has emerged and from the 3rd N, necessary, has sprouted biocarnism with a supposed emphasis on health, the paleo diet being a prime (pardon the pun) example.

This is another thought provoking and empowering presentation from Melanie and another example of her putting her Harvard doctorate in Psychology to outstanding use.

Full video below:

Last edited by Akasha; 23rd June 2015 at 21:13.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Elainie (23rd June 2015)

35. Link to Post #98
    Thanks

Another fantastic (related) presentation from Melanie Joy:

Melanie's website here

36. Link to Post #99
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks

Ok, this is an honest question. For philosophical reasons, I would very much like to be vegan. However, when I have tried to be so, it didn't go well. My energy levels suffered a big hit, and I had to reluctantly add animal foods back into my diet. I thought I had done a good job of things. I used information from Barnard and Fuhrman to construct my diet. I have found, though, that I thrive best on a low-carb high-fat diet. Frankly, I have no idea how to do that without animal foods. Grains put me to sleep, so those won't work for me. Beans scrub too much cholesterol out of my body, creating a situation where my blood levels of cholesterol are WAY too low, putting me at risk for mental health issues. Fruit doesn't work well for me, either. With Blood Type O+, according to D'Adamo, I need red meat to thrive. At least one source has said that our DNA is changing so that we can thrive on a higher carb diet, but this doesn't seem to have happened for me yet. I still feel less than optimal when there's too much carb. So how can I be kind to animals and thrive at the same time?

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roxann For This Post:

Agape (23rd June 2015), Akasha (24th June 2015), Elainie (24th June 2015)

38. Link to Post #100
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Roxann (here)
    Ok, this is an honest question. For philosophical reasons, I would very much like to be vegan. However, when I have tried to be so, it didn't go well. My energy levels suffered a big hit, and I had to reluctantly add animal foods back into my diet. I thought I had done a good job of things. I used information from Barnard and Fuhrman to construct my diet. I have found, though, that I thrive best on a low-carb high-fat diet. Frankly, I have no idea how to do that without animal foods. Grains put me to sleep, so those won't work for me. Beans scrub too much cholesterol out of my body, creating a situation where my blood levels of cholesterol are WAY too low, putting me at risk for mental health issues. Fruit doesn't work well for me, either. With Blood Type O+, according to D'Adamo, I need red meat to thrive. At least one source has said that our DNA is changing so that we can thrive on a higher carb diet, but this doesn't seem to have happened for me yet. I still feel less than optimal when there's too much carb. So how can I be kind to animals and thrive at the same time?

You are still very kind , and can be kind to all living beings or at least some of them .

There's a small way, middle way and highway with every aspect of your life and choices we make depend on our capacities, circumstances , life style .
    I don't think there's a single answer for everyone . From my perspective, it's always easier to be a student than teacher of life ,
    working out the golden ratio ..

If you're sensitive your body tells you what it needs .

The greatest crime about this isn't meat eating but what they call 'gluttony' , overindulgence . When people eat just compulsively and can't ever stop, their tastes get mixed up , their bodies don't respond the right way, they go around and try this and that diet , for what . For themselves alone .

Save one life you've saved world entire .

39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Agape For This Post:

Akasha (24th June 2015), Elainie (24th June 2015), Wind (25th June 2015)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst 1 5 15 43 LastLast