+ Reply to Thread
Page 70 of 114 FirstFirst 1 20 60 70 80 114 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,400 of 2276

Thread: The Great Quotes thread

1. Link to Post #1381
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,838 times in 650 posts

Default Re: The Great Quotes thread

"They don't always fly when they flap their wings". - My old man, in reference to people who say they'll do things, but invariably don't.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to The Moss Trooper For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (20th May 2020), Bill Ryan (20th May 2020), Forest Denizen (13th June 2020), Franny (20th May 2020), Harmony (19th June 2020), raregem (5th June 2020)

3. Link to Post #1382
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,568 times in 1,716 posts

"The majority believes that everything hard to comprehend must be very profound. This is incorrect.
    What is hard to understand is what is immature, unclear and often false. The highest wisdom is simple and passes through the brain directly into the heart."

Viktor Schauberger

"Thoughts that have important consequences are always simple. All my thinking could be summed up with these words: 'Since corrupt people unite amongst themselves to constitute a force, then honest people must do the same.' It is as simple as that."

Count Leo Nikolayevich Tolstoy
    Last edited by EFO; 20th May 2020 at 17:53. Reason: adding text
    "Your planet is forbidden for an open visit - extremely aggressive social environment,despite almost perfect climatic conditions.Almost 4 billion violent deaths for the last 5000 years and about 15000 major military conflicts in the same period."

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to EFO For This Post:

Anka (20th May 2020), Ba-ba-Ra (5th June 2020), Bill Ryan (20th May 2020), DeDukshyn (20th May 2020), Forest Denizen (13th June 2020), Franny (20th May 2020), Harmony (19th June 2020), raregem (5th June 2020), Rhogar (21st May 2020), Wind (5th June 2020)

5. Link to Post #1383
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,442 times in 1,007 posts

And all this to be just human.

6. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Anka For This Post:

Agape (19th June 2020), Ba-ba-Ra (5th June 2020), Bill Ryan (5th June 2020), DSKlausler (9th June 2020), EFO (5th June 2020), Forest Denizen (13th June 2020), Franny (27th June 2020), Harmony (19th June 2020), raregem (5th June 2020), Rhogar (6th June 2020), Sarah Rainsong (6th June 2020), Wind (5th June 2020)

7. Link to Post #1384
    United States Avalon Member DSKlausler's Avatar
    Language
    Kings' English (colored)
    Thanks

“Just look at us. Everything is backwards, everything is upside down. Doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, psychiatrists destroy minds, scientists destroy truth, major media destroys information, religions destroy spirituality and governments destroy freedom.”
    ― Michael Ellner
    Anything is possible with the proper training.

8. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to DSKlausler For This Post:

Agape (19th June 2020), Anka (9th June 2020), Bill Ryan (9th June 2020), edina (9th June 2020), EFO (12th June 2020), ExomatrixTV (25th February 2021), Forest Denizen (13th June 2020), Franny (27th June 2020), Harmony (19th June 2020), Rhogar (9th June 2020), Wind (13th June 2020)

9. Link to Post #1385
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks

10. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Anka For This Post:

Agape (19th June 2020), Bill Ryan (9th June 2020), Constance (28th June 2020), edina (10th June 2020), EFO (12th June 2020), Eva2 (28th June 2020), Forest Denizen (13th June 2020), Franny (27th June 2020), Harmony (19th June 2020), Rhogar (10th June 2020), Wind (13th June 2020)

11. Link to Post #1386
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks

A Quotable Quote forever...

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practise resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan-like as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms...”

― Henry David Thoreau

And, in the blink of an eye, I came to live preparing for the biggest step

Anca

12. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Anka For This Post:

Bill Ryan (12th June 2020), Constance (28th June 2020), EFO (12th June 2020), Eva2 (13th June 2020), Forest Denizen (13th June 2020), Franny (27th June 2020), Harmony (19th June 2020), Rhogar (19th June 2020), Wind (13th June 2020)

13. Link to Post #1387
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.

Plato

They certainly give very strange names to diseases.

Plato

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Anka For This Post:

Bill Ryan (18th June 2020), EFO (18th June 2020), Franny (27th June 2020), Harmony (19th June 2020), Rhogar (19th June 2020), Wind (19th June 2020)

15. Link to Post #1388
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,656 times in 8,694 posts

Quote Posted by TargeT (here)
    There's no such thing as science fiction

It's always easier to reach down, than it is to reach up

and my signature below... some of my goto quotes
    so....

I feel like this post is extremely poignant currently.............
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Agape (19th June 2020), Anka (19th June 2020), Bill Ryan (19th June 2020), Constance (28th June 2020), EFO (20th June 2020), Franny (27th June 2020), Harmony (19th June 2020), Rhogar (19th June 2020)

17. Link to Post #1389
    Thanks

"The superior man thinks always of virtue; the common man thinks of comfort." Confucius

"To practice five things under all circumstances constitutes perfect virtue; these five are gravity, generosity of soul, sincerity, earnestness, and kindness." Confucius

"The Cautious seldom err." Confucius

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rhogar For This Post:

Agape (19th June 2020), Anka (19th June 2020), Bill Ryan (19th June 2020), Constance (28th June 2020), EFO (20th June 2020), Franny (27th June 2020), Harmony (19th June 2020)

19. Link to Post #1390
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,317 times in 2,633 posts

"You are unique... (Just like everyone else,)"

My 3rd grade teacher, Mrs. Rose.
    Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. Yoda....

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jake For This Post:

Anka (25th June 2020), Bill Ryan (24th June 2020), Constance (28th June 2020), EFO (25th June 2020), Franny (27th June 2020)

21. Link to Post #1391
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,312 times in 2,098 posts

Well, all of these are favorites but the first is an excellent and useful way to view and frame one's travails and exultations while rambling through the world. See how well it moves into the second one...

The third one might be useful for SJW's and the perpetually offended to ponder.

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything as a blessing or a curse.”
    ― Carlos Castaneda

“The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.”
    ― Carlos Castaneda

"Think about it: what weakens us is feeling offended by the deeds and misdeeds of our fellow men. Our self-importance requires that we spend most of our lives offended by someone.”
    ― Carlos Castaneda, Fire from Within

“For me the world is weird because it is stupendous, awesome, mysterious, unfathomable; my interest has been to convince you that you must assume responsibility for being here, in this marvelous world, in this marvelous desert, in this marvelous time. I want to convince you that you must learn to make every act count, since you are going to be here for only a short while, in fact, too short for witnessing all the marvels of it.”
    ― Carlos Castaneda, Journey to Ixtlan

¤=[Post Update]=¤

...and a central idea of Don Juan's:

“Anything is one of a million paths. Therefore you must always keep in mind that a path is only a path; if you feel you should not follow it, you must not stay with it under any conditions. To have such clarity you must lead a disciplined life. Only then will you know that any path is only a path and there is no affront, to oneself or to others, in dropping it if that is what your heart tells you to do. But your decision to keep on the path or to leave it must be free of fear or ambition. I warn you. Look at every path closely and deliberately. Try it as many times as you think necessary.

This question is one that only a very old man asks. Does this path have a heart? All paths are the same: they lead nowhere. They are paths going through the bush, or into the bush. In my own life I could say I have traversed long long paths, but I am not anywhere. Does this path have a heart? If it does, the path is good; if it doesn't, it is of no use. Both paths lead nowhere; but one has a heart, the other doesn't. One makes for a joyful journey; as long as you follow it, you are one with it. The other will make you curse your life. One makes you strong; the other weakens you.

Before you embark on any path ask the question: Does this path have a heart? If the answer is no, you will know it, and then you must choose another path. The trouble is nobody asks the question; and when a man finally realizes that he has taken a path without a heart, the path is ready to kill him. At that point very few men can stop to deliberate, and leave the path. A path without a heart is never enjoyable. You have to work hard even to take it. On the other hand, a path with heart is easy; it does not make you work at liking it.”

― Carlos Castaneda, The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge
    A million galaxies are a little foam on that shoreless sea. ~ Rumi

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Franny For This Post:

Anka (28th June 2020), Bill Ryan (27th June 2020), Constance (28th June 2020), EFO (28th June 2020), Eva2 (28th June 2020), Rhogar (17th July 2020)

23. Link to Post #1392
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,435 times in 3,321 posts

Don't practice what you don't want to become - Jordan Peterson

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Anka (28th June 2020), Bill Ryan (19th July 2020), EFO (30th June 2020), Franny (29th June 2020), Rhogar (17th July 2020), Tintin (28th June 2020)

25. Link to Post #1393
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks

"The fools make laws, the good ones make channels for national energy"-Nicolae Iorga

An Romanian historian, literary critic, documentary filmmaker, poet, encyclopedist, memorialist, parliamentarian, prime minister, university professor and Romanian academician (he dislike the female "mind" )

"Don't darken the sky of others with your anger.
    If you can walk, why crawl.
    The wisdom of life is simple: make your past better than before.
    The good word and the smile and the beneficent deed are rays of the Sun reflected in the human soul.
    Vices are executioners who kill you slowly, like an unsharpened sword.
    By deceiving, you are preparing to be deceived.
    I would be too lazy to be lazy.Evil thoughts are driven away by good deeds.
    A nation that does not know its history is like a child that does not know its parents.
    Wisdom is yours only when you give it to another, otherwise it is only in you.
    To know a book does not mean that you know wisdom.
    The egoist sees himself as the ultimate goal of creation: he would expect the end of the world to be the moment of his death.The child does not owe life to the parent, but growth.
    Good is not he who suffers evil, but he who does good.
    You have no right to be different from the others, but more than them and especially for them.
    Laziness is gentle suicide.
    Some people have the dignity of their ambition, others of their situation, the few the dignity of their person.
    Beware of both the friendship of the enemy and the enmity of the friend.
    At the end of each day, count not what others have done to you, but what you have done to others.

The truly good man is only the one who could have been bad and was not.
    A fact is only history when none of its roots reach the present.
    The truth is everywhere, but only the one who seeks it recognizes it.
    A good man is not one who does good, but one who enjoys good.
    The thought of death may serve you at any moment to understand the price of life.
    Leaving a fight because of the villainy of the environment is also like cutting your throat because there is mud outside.
    The sources of all evil are taverns and luxury.
    There are successes that degrade you and defeats that elevate you.
    Never say "you can't", but start with "let's see".
    In a fight there can be two losers, but only one winner.
    Write so as not to lose the flowers of your thought, which the wind takes otherwise.
    Self-satisfaction - the best tombstone of talent.
    Your nation is not only the nation you come from, but also the nation you deserve to be a part of.
    Wisdom is a commodity that whoever sells it has bought.
    Sometimes flattery is the advance payment of the betrayal that is being prepared for you.
    Man's joy is like the smell of flowers: it does not rise from withered souls.
    A free man is one who does not need to tell a lie.
    Art gives everything to everyone and still remains whole.
    Only the one who does not allow evil to be done around him is truly good.
    Courage is the sight over one's own being and over any danger of a purpose.
    So far no one was able to send in the perfect solution, which is not strange.
    Insult is an exaggerated helplessness.
    Insult is the declaration of defeat.

Every day comes before you with gifts that most of the time you don't know how to collect.
    You associate your defects more easily than your qualities, almost all vices make you sociable.
    You do not leave an ideal without leaving something of your being.
    To judge man, seek to see him love. You can't go wrong.
    The biggest miracle is to think you can make one, the rest is very easy.
    Silence has its voice of wisdom listen to it.
    Believing that you are more than you are, you will never move towards what you imagine you are.
    Be sure that if wisdom is on everyone's lips, it is only in the minds of a few, to listen to those.
    Everyone has a path to follow, but no other path can be created than the one he is called to walk.
    There are tears so heavy and hot that the eyes cannot cry, they lie in the heart burning it.
    Life in action is the best teacher.
    Unused talent is theft.
    Being young comes with a duty and not an excuse.
    You attack a fool's opinion and wake up with the whole fool in question.
    Your victory begins when enemies use your weapons.
    When it's so easy to look away from a man, it's a waste of feeling to hate him.
    You are often silent because you are convinced of your opponent's stupidity.
    The long road starts where you got tired.
    Most controversies reached their goal when they created confusion and mistrust.
    Whoever has wronged you is not left with a debt to you, but a loss to himself.
    If you will be pretended for a long time, you will pretend without permission.
    An idea is not clearer with larger letters.
    Any goodwill is a power that only the arrogant fool can reject.
    The best pleasure is the one you give.
    In a controversy, to answer only when the public needs it, not the opponent.
    Many believe that you can straighten a donkey by shortening its ears.
    Distinguish between the hand that reaches out to lift you and the one that catches you to stop you.
    For too long, no one has ever aged.
    Trust is lost only once.
    Nature gives you the example of living every day. "

...A little too long, but I like them all (generally speaking), and more

Anca

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Anka For This Post:

Agape (23rd July 2020), Bill Ryan (19th July 2020), EFO (20th July 2020), Sarah Rainsong (20th July 2020), Wind (20th July 2020)

27. Link to Post #1394
    Thanks
    Thanked 456,558 times in 32,726 posts

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
    J W Stephens

28. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Agape (23rd July 2020), Anka (20th July 2020), Ankle Biter (19th August 2023), Constance (19th July 2020), EFO (20th July 2020), Eva2 (20th July 2020), Kate (21st July 2020), Sarah Rainsong (20th July 2020), Wind (20th July 2020), Yoda (19th July 2020)

29. Link to Post #1395
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,750 times in 2,555 posts

“We need a renaissance of wonder. We need to renew, in mind and heart, the deathless dream, the eternal poetry, the perennial sense that life is miracle and magic.”
    E. Merrill Root

30. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Eva2 For This Post:

Anka (20th July 2020), Bill Ryan (20th July 2020), Constance (20th July 2020), edina (20th July 2020), EFO (20th July 2020), Franny (23rd July 2020), justntime2learn (20th July 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (20th July 2020), Sarah Rainsong (23rd July 2020), Sue (Ayt) (23rd July 2020), TelosianEmbrace (25th August 2020), Valerie Villars (21st July 2020), Wind (20th July 2020)

31. Link to Post #1396
    Administrator Mark (Star Mariner)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,396 times in 4,297 posts

"People who can't control their emotions will want to control your behaviour." - John Cleese.

Most applicable in these trying times.
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

32. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

Agape (23rd July 2020), Anka (20th July 2020), Bill Ryan (20th July 2020), Constance (20th July 2020), edina (20th July 2020), EFO (20th July 2020), Eva2 (20th July 2020), Franny (23rd July 2020), justntime2learn (20th July 2020), Sarah Rainsong (23rd July 2020), Sue (Ayt) (23rd July 2020), Valerie Villars (21st July 2020), Wind (20th July 2020)

33. Link to Post #1397
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,750 times in 2,555 posts

Chinese Proverb: ′′ When winds of change arise, some people build containment walls, while others build windmills ".

34. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Eva2 For This Post:

Anka (21st July 2020), Ba-ba-Ra (21st July 2020), Bill Ryan (21st July 2020), EFO (22nd July 2020), Franny (23rd July 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (30th July 2020), Sarah Rainsong (23rd July 2020), Sue (Ayt) (23rd July 2020), Wind (22nd July 2020)

35. Link to Post #1398
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,568 times in 1,716 posts

ANCIENT PROVERBS (True Wisdom)
    (4:30 min.)

THE GREATEST QUOTES OF ALL TIME
    (5:02 min.)
    Last edited by EFO; 23rd July 2020 at 06:28. Reason: adding video
    "Your planet is forbidden for an open visit - extremely aggressive social environment,despite almost perfect climatic conditions.Almost 4 billion violent deaths for the last 5000 years and about 15000 major military conflicts in the same period."

36. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to EFO For This Post:

Anka (25th July 2020), Ba-ba-Ra (24th July 2020), Bill Ryan (23rd July 2020), Eva2 (29th July 2020), Franny (23rd July 2020), Sarah Rainsong (23rd July 2020), Sue (Ayt) (23rd July 2020)

37. Link to Post #1399
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,312 times in 2,098 posts

...and so fitting for this time, as it is for all times:

"Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present." ~ Marcus Aurelius
    A million galaxies are a little foam on that shoreless sea. ~ Rumi

38. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Franny For This Post:

Anka (25th July 2020), Ba-ba-Ra (23rd July 2020), Bill Ryan (23rd July 2020), Constance (31st July 2020), EFO (23rd July 2020), Eva2 (18th August 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (30th July 2020), Sarah Rainsong (23rd July 2020), Sue (Ayt) (23rd July 2020), Wind (23rd July 2020)

39. Link to Post #1400
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks

“We need only in cold blood ACT as if the thing in question were real, and keep acting as if it were real, and it will infallibly end by growing into such a connection with our life that it will become real.”
    ― William James

"Wisdom is tolerance of cognitive dissonance" - Robert Alexander Farrar Thurman

40. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Anka For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th July 2020), EFO (29th July 2020), Eva2 (30th July 2020), Franny (29th July 2020), Harmony (29th July 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (17th August 2020), Sarah Rainsong (31st July 2020), Wind (29th July 2020)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 70 of 114 FirstFirst 1 20 60 70 80 114 LastLast