+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Scientists baffled after finding 10th Century medicine which kills superbugs

1. Link to Post #1
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,055 times in 868 posts

Default Scientists baffled after finding 10th Century medicine which kills superbugs

As the saying goes, nature has everything we need...

An ancient Anglo-Saxon potion, used to treat eye infections in the 10th-century, has shown the potential to eradicate the modern MRSA superbug, according to research.

The ancient remedy was uncovered in the British Library in a leather-bound edition of what is considered one of the earliest known medical textbooks, Bald’s Leechbook.

The thousand-year-old volume, containing the “eyesalve” treatment, was translated by Christina Lee, an expert on Anglo-Saxon society at the University of Nottingham. In a video posted to the universities website, Lee explains why this particular recipe was chosen from the book after being translated.

“We chose this recipe in Bald’s Leechbook because it contains ingredients such as garlic that are currently investigated by other researchers on their potential antibiotic effectiveness,” Lee said.

The recipe calls for two species of Allium (garlic and onion or leek), wine and oxgall (bile from a cow’s stomach) to be brewed in a brass vessel. The instructions in the book called for the potion to be left to stand for nine days before being strained through a cloth.

“And so we looked at a recipe that is fairly straightforward. It’s also a recipe where we are told it’s the ‘best of leechdoms’ — how could you not test that? So we were curious.”

Lee then looked towards the university’s microbiology department to test the efficacy of the formula, recruiting microbiologists to test and recreate the exact recipe described in the text.

“We recreated the recipe as faithfully as we could. The Bald gives very precise instructions for the ratio of different ingredients and for the way they should be combined before use, so we tried to follow that as closely as possible,” said microbiologist Freya Harrison, who led the research into the formula at the University of Nottingham’s School of Life Sciences.

After closely following the instructions to recreate the exact recipe, researchers then began to test the formula on MRSA, methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, cultures. MRSA is commonly referred to as a superbug, as antibiotic treatments are largely ineffective in treatment.

Not holding out much hope for the ancient potion, researchers were amazed by the results of their lab tests.

“What we found was very interesting — we found that Bald’s eyesalve is incredibly potent as an anti-Staphylococcal antibiotic in this context,” Harrison said.

“We were going from a mature, established population of a few billion cells, all stuck together in this highly protected biofilm coat, to really just a few thousand cells left alive. This is a massive, massive killing ability.”

The research team then asked its U.S. collaborators to test the formula using “in vivo,” a wound in live organism, and according to Steve Diggle, an associate professor of socio microbiology, who also worked on the project, “the big surprise was that it seems to be more effective than conventional antibiotic treatment.”

Any fears of the test being an anomaly were dissipated when three subsequent batches, each made from scratch, achieved the same results, according to Harrison.

The research team has replicated data showing that the medicine kills up to 90% of MRSA bacteria in “in vivo” wound biopsies from mice.

Scientists are not completely sure how the medicine works, but according to Harrison they have a few potential theories. There might be several active components in the mixture that work to attack the bacterial cells on different fronts, making it very hard for them to resist. Or, that by combining the ingredients and leaving them to steep in alcohol, a new, more potent bacteria-fighting molecule is potentially born in the process.

What is key to understand is that although people refer to the period of time this remedy was created in as the “Dark Ages,” ancient knowledge such as this cannot be discounted as holding extreme potential for the advancement of science and technology.

When we break out the modern medicine paradigm, and realize there are numerous alternative treatments and therapies that have been used successfully for thousands of years, our potential opportunities for optimal health grow exponentially.

How many other amazing ancient cures have been lost to time (or hidden?!) and are simply waiting to be rediscovered such as this amazing potential medicine?

Last edited by Sérénité; 2nd July 2015 at 14:39.
    💫 🌎 If you can see through the illusion,
    you are part of the solution 🌍 💫

2. The Following 38 Users Say Thank You to Sérénité For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (2nd July 2015), Agape (2nd July 2015), Awakening2014 (2nd July 2015), Baby Steps (2nd July 2015), Carmody (3rd July 2015), DeDukshyn (2nd July 2015), Ellisa (3rd July 2015), Flash (2nd July 2015), fourty-two (3rd July 2015), Gardener (2nd July 2015), genevieve (2nd July 2015), guayabal (3rd July 2015), Heart-2-Heart (3rd July 2015), Hervé (2nd July 2015), Ivanhoe (3rd July 2015), Lefty Dave (2nd July 2015), Loren (2nd July 2015), Magnus (5th July 2015), Matt P (2nd July 2015), meat suit (3rd July 2015), Nasu (2nd July 2015), nephalim (3rd July 2015), penn (4th July 2015), poetbil (2nd July 2015), Rex (2nd July 2015), seko (2nd July 2015), selinam (2nd July 2015), Sierra (2nd July 2015), Snoweagle (2nd July 2015), Stardad (2nd July 2015), The Alley Cat (2nd July 2015), toppy (2nd July 2015), Violet (2nd July 2015), vmk22 (3rd July 2015), WhiteFeather (20th April 2016), william r sanford72 (2nd July 2015), Zanshin (3rd July 2015), ZKBNZMEN (2nd July 2015)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,998 times in 449 posts

Default Re: Scientists baffled after finding 10th Century medicine which kills superbugs

We already have a lot of info regarding health and healing via plants, which makes it more understandable to me why Monsatan et al. are messing with plants.

Before ephedra/ma huang/desert tea was demonized and taken off the shelf (grrr), I could drink a cup of tea made with it and practically instantly clear my lungs of mucous.

I have a rant going on in my head, but I'll stop now.
    Thanks for the article, Serenite.

Peace Love Joy & Harmony,
    genevieve

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to genevieve For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (2nd July 2015), Nasu (2nd July 2015)

5. Link to Post #3
    Ireland Avalon Member Snoweagle's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,632 times in 1,021 posts

Default Re: Scientists baffled after finding 10th Century medicine which kills superbugs

I have recently recovered completely from a stroke. Unmedicated as I was, my body infused in me the desire for dietary change. I created my Vegetable Pot which I ate nearly every day as part of a balanced diet. Nearly seven years after, a mole the size of a large penny dropped off the side of my head. Cured, slam dunk:-)

So when I read the OP, I buried my head in my hands at the pathetic understanding of our natural world the mainstream science WANKERS are blind too.

Just reading how they believe chemistry attacks or defends as if some form of battleground ensues when cells throw a moody. Anyway, that rant is for another time. For anyone that is dependant on medical concoctions, change your life. Did you not wonder why major supermarket chains market dangerous processed foods AND sell all forms of medical insurance at the same time. Have you ever stopped and asked "Why?".

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snoweagle For This Post:

genevieve (3rd July 2015), Hervé (2nd July 2015), The Alley Cat (7th July 2015)

+ Reply to Thread