+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hundreds of Humpback Whales off San Francisco area

1. Link to Post #1
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,293 times in 6,140 posts

Lightbulb Hundreds of Humpback Whales off San Francisco area

Now documented have been 115 endangered whales during a one-hour survey near the Farallon Islands last week.

Federal officials instructed recreational boaters, including fishermen, to stay at least 300 feet away to avoid the dangers of the vessels striking the whales. Large ships should also slow down their speed to 10 knots in boat traffic lanes approaching San Francisco.

Roger Thomas, 80, dean of the Bay Area salmon fleet and skipper of Sausalito fishing and boating company Salty Lady, said that there appears to be more whales near the shore compared to previous years. “It’s unbelievable,” Thomas said. “Whales are all over the place.”

Quote During one of the whale watching trips, about 25 to 30 humpbacks and several blue whales were seen, with some going near the boat. “They come right up to you,” Thomas said, according to Marin County Independent Journal.

Only a mile from the shore, some onlookers at San Francisco’s Land’s End reported seeing 8 to 10 humpbacks, Nan Sincero of the Oceanic Society told the San Francisco Online. The whales were seen to do “pectoral fin slapping, lob tailing and both singular and serial breaching.”

“The humpbacks at the entrance to the bay have been hanging out for weeks,” said Sincero. “They are in heaven with all the food out there.”

2. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,298 times in 251 posts

Default Re: Hundreds of Humpback Whales off San Francisco area

They're here waiting for Captain Kirk to come back and save the world

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ted For This Post:

betoobig (12th July 2015), CD7 (13th July 2015), chanda (13th July 2015), Chanlo23 (13th July 2015), Cidersomerset (12th July 2015), justntime2learn (12th July 2015), Rex (13th July 2015)

4. Link to Post #3
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

5. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 79,647 times in 18,693 posts

Quote They're here waiting for Captain Kirk to come back and save the world
    very good....

================================================

I was in the car yesterday and on the radio they mentioned Humpbacks
    being seen off the UK coast which is unusual I think..........

Just had a look online......

Humpback whale spotted frolicking in the sea off Dartmouth Coast in this amazing footage
    14:05, 1 July 2015
    By Kelly-Ann Mills

The huge creature can be seen lifting its tail fin out of the water and splashing back down

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...ng-sea-5982216

====================================================
    ====================================================

Rare sighting of humpback whale off coast of Liverpool

17 June 2015 Last updated at 08:19 BST

A humpback whale has been spotted off the coast of Liverpool for the first time in
    more than 70 years.Local boat workers Lee Baron and Mark Harding saw the whale
    in Liverpool Bay.The Sea Watch Foundation, which monitors ocean wildlife, says
    there's been an increase in sightings of dolphins and porpoises in recent years
    because the water quality has improved.

Short vid on link...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/33149036
    Last edited by Cidersomerset; 12th July 2015 at 19:44.

6. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

Aurelius (13th July 2015), avid (13th July 2015), betoobig (12th July 2015), Billy (12th July 2015), Bob (12th July 2015), danegeroussacredgeometry (15th July 2015), Fellow Aspirant (12th July 2015), justntime2learn (12th July 2015), Limor Wolf (13th July 2015), Nature Spirit (12th July 2015), seko (12th July 2015), Ulyse30 (13th July 2015)

7. Link to Post #5
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Ted (here)
    They're here waiting for Captain Kirk to come back and save the world
    KIRK: They say 'The sea is cold but the sea contains the hottest blood of all'

GILLIAN: 'Whales Weep Not', D.H. Lawrence.
    KIRK: It's ironic. When man was killing these creatures, he was destroying his own future.

SCOTT: The beasties seem happy to see you, Doctor. I hope you like our little aquarium.
    GILLIAN: A miracle, Mister Scott.
    SCOTT: A miracle? That's yet to come.
    GILLIAN: What does that mean?

KIRK: It means that our chances of getting home are not too good. You might have lived a longer life if you'd stayed where you belong.
    GILLIAN: I belong here. I am a whale biologist. Suppose by some miracle you do get them through. ...Who in the twenty-third century knows anything about humpback whales?
    KIRK: You have a point.

GILLIAN: What was that?
    SCOTT: Admiral! I think you'd better get up there. We're having a power fall-off.
    KIRK: Stay with them. I'm on my way.
    SCOTT: Hold on tight, lassie. It gets bumpy from here.

[Bird-of-Prey bridge]

SCOTT (OC): Warp seven point five, ...Seven point nine,...
    CHEKOV: Shields at Maximum!

[Bird-of-Prey cargo bay]

SCOTT: Mister Sulu, that's all I can give you!

[Bird-of-Prey bridge]

KIRK: Can we make breakaway speed?
    SPOCK: Hardly, Admiral, I cannot even guarantee we will escape the sun's gravity! I shall attempt to compensate by altering our trajectory.
    SULU: Warp eight. Eight point one... Maximum speed, sir!
    SPOCK: Admiral, I need thruster control.
    KIRK: Acceleration thrusters at Spock's command!
    SPOCK: Steady. ...Steady. ...Now!

(the Bird-of-Prey slingshots around the sun)
    KIRK: Did braking thrusters fire?
    SPOCK: They did, Admiral.
    KIRK: Then where the hell are we? ...The Probe! ...Condition report, Spock.
    SPOCK: No data, Admiral. Computers are non-functional.

CHEKOV: The mains are down, sir! Aux. power is not responding.
    KIRK: Switch to manual control, Mister Sulu.
    SULU: I have no control, sir!

McCOY: My God, Jim, where are we?

KIRK: Out of control, and blind as a bat!

8. Link to Post #6
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,127 times in 560 posts

Well it's nice to know they haven't killed everything in the Pacific yet.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 3(C)+me For This Post:

betoobig (12th July 2015), Bob (12th July 2015), CD7 (13th July 2015), Cidersomerset (12th July 2015), Ulyse30 (13th July 2015)

10. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,006 times in 1,797 posts

They must be all there toghether for some pourpous, not just feeding.
    I send love to them right now.
    Thanks Bob.
    Love Juan

11. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to betoobig For This Post:

Bob (12th July 2015), Cidersomerset (12th July 2015), danegeroussacredgeometry (15th July 2015), Desire (15th July 2015), Limor Wolf (13th July 2015), Selkie (13th July 2015), tessie999 (13th July 2015), Tyy1907 (13th July 2015), Ulyse30 (13th July 2015)

12. Link to Post #8
    Spain Avalon Member Michael Moewes's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,910 times in 372 posts

Hey Bob, that's great news. so beautifull.
    On the other side, down in New Zeeland, our friends from the Cook straight Whale watch spotted far over a hundred humpbacks including a very rare white one.

To be seen here https://www.facebook.com/CookStraitWhaleProject?fref=nf

https://www.facebook.com/CookStraitWhaleProject?fref=nf

Live Healthy, Live Vegan and save the planet

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Michael Moewes For This Post:

betoobig (12th July 2015), Bob (12th July 2015), CD7 (13th July 2015), Cidersomerset (12th July 2015), tessie999 (13th July 2015), Tyy1907 (13th July 2015), Ulyse30 (13th July 2015)

14. Link to Post #9
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

"Holographic Whales (Humpback + Dolphin)" apx. 2 min (sensory)

Last edited by Bob; 13th July 2015 at 00:03.

15. Link to Post #10
    Thanks
    Thanked 79,647 times in 18,693 posts

Humpback Whale Opera - The songs of the deep....

Last edited by Cidersomerset; 13th July 2015 at 00:05.

16. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

Agape (13th July 2015), betoobig (13th July 2015), Bob (13th July 2015), danegeroussacredgeometry (15th July 2015), Michael Moewes (13th July 2015), Stephanie (13th July 2015), tessie999 (13th July 2015), Tyy1907 (13th July 2015), Ulyse30 (13th July 2015)

17. Link to Post #11
    United States Avalon Member Chrysalis's Avatar
    Thanks

This has been reported by our local television news here in the SF Bay Area. It is cause for concern, largely because the whales are most likely coming into the bay seeking food. That would indicate a decline and/or contamination of the natural food sources for whales in the Pacific Ocean.

While an interesting thing to see these majestic creatures up close, I also see it as a red flag that there are some serious environmental issues affecting Earth and all of her inhabitants. Fukushima comes to mind, as well as geoengineering.

We as a species need to check ourselves when it comes to our role as caretakers of this fine and beautiful planet that we call home. Unfortunately, I suspect that those who are the major players are void of empathy, and focused only upon their greed-driven agenda.

Let us all keep the light of love alive and burning...

Peace,
    Chrys
    "Go then, there are other worlds than these."
    Stephen King ~ The Gunslinger

18. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Chrysalis For This Post:

betoobig (13th July 2015), CD7 (13th July 2015), danegeroussacredgeometry (15th July 2015), Gardener (13th July 2015), genevieve (13th July 2015), sandy (13th July 2015), Stephanie (13th July 2015), Tyy1907 (13th July 2015), Ulyse30 (13th July 2015)

19. Link to Post #12
    United States Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,947 times in 1,689 posts

I have connected some dots and come to a very unpleasant conclusion. We all know about Fukushima and its probably poisoning of the ocean and sea life. Then there was that awful apocalyptic sight of millions of fish dead off the west coast beaches of California. On ProjectCamelot.org I believe I read an article about the US Navy using deadly frequencies in the area of the Bay of Alaska. Elsewhere, I read that Navy Submarines were experimenting with deadly broadcast frequencies meant to dissolve the tissues of enemy submariners and that these frequencies were responsible for the beaching and deaths of whales and dolphins. This is bad enough; however, I have connected some dots and come up with another gruesome possibility.

Suppose the marine life passing Fukusmina and swimming on the currents of the north pacific, passing through the Bay of Alaska were all thought to be seriously contaminated and the Navy decided to kill them all with their frequencies before they could be consumed by other fish and/or humans. Just a thought. Here is another one, the NWO is killing off all food sources on the planet to finally kill off all humans.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to amor For This Post:

betoobig (13th July 2015), danegeroussacredgeometry (15th July 2015), Ulyse30 (13th July 2015)

21. Link to Post #13
    United States Avalon Member Blue Mobius's Avatar
    Thanks

My immediate reaction to this was Fukushima which is still not contained and has been leaking into the pacific since 2011. its nice to see the whales but its scary to wonder why they might be flocking so close to civilization when they have the whole ocean to navigate. i would honestly assume that it would take more than 4 years to contaminate the pacific to such a heavy degree that would merit mass migration of these whales. why is there so much silence regarding Fukushima and no practical solutions in site? The fear management that the Japanese government is orchestrating will soon back fire heavily. Its time they picked up the phone and made a call for help on an international and public level.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Blue Mobius For This Post:

betoobig (13th July 2015), Michael Moewes (13th July 2015), syrwong (13th July 2015), Ulyse30 (13th July 2015)

23. Link to Post #14
    Hong Kong Avalon Member syrwong's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,586 times in 713 posts

Quote Posted by Blue Mobius (here)
    My immediate reaction to this was Fukushima which is still not contained and has been leaking into the pacific since 2011. its nice to see the whales but its scary to wonder why they might be flocking so close to civilization when they have the whole ocean to navigate. i would honestly assume that it would take more than 4 years to contaminate the pacific to such a heavy degree that would merit mass migration of these whales. why is there so much silence regarding Fukushima and no practical solutions in site? The fear management that the Japanese government is orchestrating will soon back fire heavily. Its time they picked up the phone and made a call for help on an international and public level.
    Fear management is another kicking the can down the road. You need to manage fear only when the danger is real, but you always come face to face with it. Within hours after the disaster the prime minister discussed with his cabinet if Tokyo should be evacuated. I think they made the wrong decision.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to syrwong For This Post:

betoobig (13th July 2015), Ulyse30 (13th July 2015)

25. Link to Post #15
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Whale Sense

http://whalesense.org/

Whale watching "impact".

Interaction with ships (whales killed or injured) while in a protected Sanctuary. The Greater Farallones National Marine Sanctuary off the west coast of California which covers parts of the mainland of California, extends outwards to the islands. Birds, underwater marine features, whales and seals, and fish. An area for protection and preservation. Whales would certainly want to congregate in such an area.. From the warm waters south of the Bahah to give babies, heading northwards up to Alaska where food is abundant as well (summer feeding grounds).

An interesting note, See http://sanctuaries.noaa.gov/shipwrecks/independence/

Although it may seem interesting the discussion of "Fukushima" appearing in a thread touching on the JOYS of Whales visiting in droves within a very well and healthy food stocked area off the California coast, thankyou for your thought and you can easily visit a Fuku discussion by doing a search: https://projectavalon.net/forum4/search.php enter your keyword there. Please focus the Fuku discussions in those threads which are more appropriate. (There are no "atomic reactors" discharging into the Greater Farallones National Marine Sanctuary off the west coast of California.)

Sea Shepherd - http://www.seashepherd.org/lightbox_...back_whale.php has a background page on the Humpback whale - a few excerpts:

Quote Habitat

The habitat of humpback whales consists of polar to tropical waters, including the waters of the Arctic, Atlantic, and Pacific Oceans, as well as the waters surrounding Antarctica and the Bering Strait. During migration, they are found in coastal and deep oceanic waters. Generally, they do not come into coastal waters until they reach the latitudes of Long Island, New York, and Cape Cod, Massachusetts.

Humpbacks are divided into several populations. These are for the most part isolated, but with a little interchange in some cases. There are two stocks in the North Atlantic Ocean and two in the North Pacific. There are also seven isolated stocks in the southern hemisphere.

Migration

Found in all of the world's oceans, most populations of humpback whales follow a regular migration route, summering in temperate and polar waters for feeding, and wintering in tropical waters for mating and calving. In the Arabian Sea, a year-round non-migratory population of humpbacks appears not to follow this general rule. Humpbacks migrate at 3-9 mph (4.8-14 kph). They have incredible powers of endurance, traveling over 3,100 miles (5000 km) during each seasonal migration with almost no rest along the way. During migrations, they cover over 1,000 miles per month.

Population Numbers/status

Because their feeding, mating, and calving grounds are close to shore and because they are slow swimmers, the humpback whales were an easy target for early whalers. The International Whaling Commission (IWC) gave them worldwide protection status in 1966, but there were large illegal kills by the Soviets until the 1970's. It is believed they number about 30,000-40,000 at present, or about 30-35% of the original population.

However, briefly back to Japan - they are whale killers. Not by the "radioactive waters", but by a whaling fleet which has been saying it is their "right" to kill whales, for "research purposes" (a pretense to escape an international ban on whaling). Sea Shepherd has an extensive set of documentations and campaign on their efforts to block and interfere with Japan's whaling efforts (and others).

Quote The International Whaling Commission (IWC) ruled Friday that Japan has not provided sufficient scientific data to support its ridiculous claim that the killing of whales in the Southern Ocean is legitimate scientific research.

They have asked Japan for further data to justify their request for IWC permission to kill whales under the pretense of scientific whaling.

Last year the International Court of Justice (ICJ) ruled that there was no scientific justification for Japanese so-called “research” whaling.

Last year the International Whaling Commission followed up on this ruling and said no to Japan’s pretense to kill whales. No whales were killed by Japan in the Southern Ocean for the 2014-2015 season, the first time zero whales were slain in Antarctic waters since 1945.

Will Japan now spit in the face of international law and public opinion? Will they attempt to send their highly subsidized whaling fleet south again in December to target 333 Minke whales in the internationally established Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary? Will they do so in violation of the international moratorium on commercial whaling? Will they continue to be in contempt of the Australian Federal Court?
    Quote Japan’s previous whaling program (known as “JARPA II”) violated international law. JARPA II authorized the killing of as many as 935 minke whales, 50 endangered fin whales, and 50 humpback whales every year in the Southern Ocean. Between 2005 and 2014, Japan killed about 3,600 minke whales and 18 fin whales under JARPA II.
    Whaling or the killing of dolphins and whales for "research or food or industrial products" is stupid. Society doesn't need whale oil, nor trophies of these creatures.

26. Link to Post #16
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Helping an entangled humpback whale -

Sea of Cortez - gill net entanglement, an effort by a family to remove the net.
    Last edited by Bob; 13th July 2015 at 15:01.

27. Link to Post #17
    Thanks

Right spoted Chrysalis, The radiation coming from Fukushima is killing all life in the Pacific ocean. It had already reached parts of the westcoast.

Quote Posted by Chrysalis (here)
    This has been reported by our local television news here in the SF Bay Area. It is cause for concern, largely because the whales are most likely coming into the bay seeking food. That would indicate a decline and/or contamination of the natural food sources for whales in the Pacific Ocean.

While an interesting thing to see these majestic creatures up close, I also see it as a red flag that there are some serious environmental issues affecting Earth and all of her inhabitants. Fukushima comes to mind, as well as geoengineering.

We as a species need to check ourselves when it comes to our role as caretakers of this fine and beautiful planet that we call home. Unfortunately, I suspect that those who are the major players are void of empathy, and focused only upon their greed-driven agenda.

Let us all keep the light of love alive and burning...

Peace,
    Chrys

28. Link to Post #18
    Thanks

Quote Posted by syrwong (here)

Fear management is another kicking the can down the road. You need to manage fear only when the danger is real, but you always come face to face with it. Within hours after the disaster the prime minister discussed with his cabinet if Tokyo should be evacuated. I think they made the wrong decision.
    Because Japanese government lies. They perfected the art of lying since more than 1000 years. It's the mentality of the shogun his samurais and the flock of sheep called peasants.

29. Link to Post #19
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote An interesting note, See http://sanctuaries.noaa.gov/shipwrecks/independence/

From post above: https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...l=1#post977927

Although it may seem interesting the discussion of "Fukushima" appearing in a thread touching on the JOYS of Whales visiting in droves within a very well and healthy food stocked area off the California coast, thankyou for your thought and you can easily visit a Fuku discussion by doing a search: https://projectavalon.net/forum4/search.php enter your keyword there. Please focus the Fuku discussions in those threads which are more appropriate. (There are no "atomic reactors" discharging into the Greater Farallones National Marine Sanctuary off the west coast of California.)
    ------------------------

Back on topic - whales congregating off San Francisco Area

30. Link to Post #20
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

An abundance of healthy food is supporting the ecosystem off the Farallon islands

http://www.sfgate.com/outdoors/artic...st-6373733.php

Quote In one magic hour Sunday, researchers stationed at the South Farallon Islands counted 93 humpback whales, 21 blue whales and one fin whale, according to Mary Jane Schramm of the Greater Farallones National Marine Sanctuary.

There hasn’t been anything like this verified in modern times.
    At the same time, on a whale-watching trip with the Oceanic Society on the Salty Lady out of San Francisco, Capt. Roger Thomas said he sighted 25 humpbacks and three blue whales, most within range of Southeast Farallon Island.

“It’s like an eating contest out there,” Schramm said.

Quote A vast amount of krill has brought in the blue whales. Large schools of anchovies and mackerel have attracted the humpbacks.

“One blue can consume up to four tons of krill per day when in maximum feeding mode,” Schramm said. “That’s right now, apparently, and right here.”

Blue whales are the biggest air-breathing mammals on Earth.
    KRILL - are sensitive to environmental damage. If there is something harming them, they WON'T BE THERE

definition: a small shrimplike planktonic crustacean of the open seas. It is eaten by a number of larger animals, notably the baleen whales. Humpbacks are baleen whales.

The Krill population in the sanctuary is staggering right now, above all previous recorded history.. And the Whales are taking advantage of that. The Pacific is NOT dying in this area.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast