+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Artificial Intelligence: Humanoid Robot Exhibits A Moment Of Self-Awareness

1. Link to Post #1
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,809 times in 2,892 posts

Default Artificial Intelligence: Humanoid Robot Exhibits A Moment Of Self-Awareness

Artificial Intelligence: Humanoid Robot Exhibits A Moment Of Self-Awareness

"I know now," a Nao robot subjected to an updated version of "the king’s wise men" puzzle said during an experiment conducted by a team of scientists from the Rensselaer AI and Reasoning Lab in New York. RAIR Lab/ YouTube
    Self-aware robots with nefarious intentions of taking over the world have been a staple plot in science fiction novels and movies. A team of scientists from the Rensselaer AI and Reasoning Lab in New York have now announced what might be a significant breakthrough toward developing viable Artificial Intelligence (AI) -- albeit not one that’s hell-bent on wiping out mankind.

An experiment conducted on a Nao robot, developed by French robotics company Aldebaran Robotics, elicited behavior that researchers believe shows that the robot possesses the faintest glimmer of self-awareness. However, given that the definition of what construes self-awareness is itself murky, the findings are likely to trigger debate over what the experiment really proved.

In the study, three Nao robots were subjected to an updated version of the classic puzzle known as “the king’s wise men.”

The original version of the puzzle goes like this: A king calls the three wisest men in the country and puts either a white or a black hat on their heads. They can all see each other’s hats, but not their own, and they’re not allowed to talk to each other. At least one of them is wearing a blue hat. Whoever is smart enough to work out the color of the hat they’re wearing becomes the king’s new advisor.

In the updated version of the puzzle, the researchers programmed the robots to think that two of them had been given a “dumbing pill” -- one that would prevent them from speaking. In reality, those robots were muted by pressing a button on top of their heads, while the third one had a placebo button.

When the researchers asked the robots which pill they had received, only one of them -- the one that had not been muted -- stood up and said “I don’t know.”

However, a moment later, when its program realized that it had heard its own voice, the robot waved its hand and said: “I know now. I was able to prove that I was not given a dumbing pill.”

According to the researchers, the ability to recognize the sound of its own voice and logically conclude that it had not received a dumbing pill -- because it could speak -- showed that it had the ability to link this realization back to the original question and come up with the right answer, pointing toward a mathematically verifiable awareness of the self.

Namaste-Matte

MY LATEST BOOK: "INTRUDERS UPON THE REALM"
    JOIN ME IN MY NEW ONGOING PROJECT
    My Bitchute
    My Music
    My Books
    Project: Shadowstalker

Once you get past the fear of darkness, you can find the things hidden in the shadows..

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to shadowstalker For This Post:

Art (21st July 2015), Cidersomerset (21st July 2015), Denise (21st July 2015), DNA (21st July 2015), Nasu (21st July 2015), Violet (23rd August 2015), WhiteLove (20th July 2015), william r sanford72 (21st July 2015)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member ghostrider's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,800 times in 6,634 posts

Default Re: Artificial Intelligence: Humanoid Robot Exhibits A Moment Of Self-Awareness

I ask Cortana about being self aware , she dodges the question ... robots are taking over , there is a hotel in Japan ran completely by robots ...
    Raiding the Matrix One Mind at a Time ...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ghostrider For This Post:

shadowstalker (21st July 2015)

5. Link to Post #3
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 times in 1,357 posts

Default Re: Artificial Intelligence: Humanoid Robot Exhibits A Moment Of Self-Awareness

Pretty interesting!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteLove For This Post:

shadowstalker (21st July 2015)

7. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 times in 317 posts

Last edited by TODD & NORA; 12th August 2016 at 06:54.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TODD & NORA For This Post:

Baby Steps (21st July 2015), shadowstalker (21st July 2015), william r sanford72 (21st July 2015)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 79,645 times in 18,693 posts

I have several AI and related threads in my archive and like
    several other meme's advances have increased in recent years.

I just saw this article on todays headline page , speaks for itself.
    As these creations come into our reality , and possibly sentient ?
    we may go down several paths from DATA to Terminator.

Star Trek: The Next Generation - Sentient Being

--------------------------------------------------------

===================================================

Should robots have human rights? Act now to regulate killer machines before
    they multiply and demand the right to vote, warns legal expert

By ickonic on 21st July 2015 Corporate Crime, Microchipping, New Physics

Should robots have human rights? Act now to regulate killer machines
    before they multiply and demand the right to vote, warns legal expert
    Robots will need new laws to regulate them just like the internet did
    Army and tech firms have driven robotics and artificial intelligence
    There is rising concern about the dangers of these technologies
    Experts warn artificial intelligence could be as dangerous as nuclear weapons

By Jack Millner For Mailonline

Published: 14:22, 20 July 2015 | Updated: 17:20, 20 July 2015

‘A legal expert has warned that the laws that govern robotics are playing catch-up
    to the technology and need to be updated in case robots ‘wake up’ and demand rights.

He also argues that artificial intelligence has come of age, and that we should begin
    tackling these problems before they arise, as robots increasingly blur the line between
    person and machine.

‘Robotics combines, for the first time, the promiscuity of data with the capacity to do
    physical harm,’ Ryan Calo, from the University of Washington’s School of Law, wrote
    in his paper on the subject.

‘Robotic systems accomplish tasks in ways that cannot be anticipated in advance; and
    robots increasingly blur the line between person and instrument.”

Read more: Should robots have human rights? Act now to regulate killer machines before
    they multiply and demand the right to vote, warns legal expert

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...#ixzz3gWNZbuMD
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
    Last edited by Cidersomerset; 21st July 2015 at 12:18.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

shadowstalker (21st July 2015), william r sanford72 (21st July 2015)

11. Link to Post #6
    Germany Avalon Member
    Thanks

Scary as the Elite have plans down the road here for a world AI system.....

+ Reply to Thread