+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Violent Street Gangs Launch Shocking Contest: “Kill 100 People In 100 Days”

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,488 times in 2,183 posts

Default Violent Street Gangs Launch Shocking Contest: “Kill 100 People In 100 Days”

Heads Up, folks!

As I navigate the murky waters of internet today, I keep running into this story. I'm wondering if it is true, and if not, why has someone wanted something like this to go viral on the social networks (uh-hum, JH and martial law, anyone?):

This is where I first saw the first mention:

Quote Violent Street Gangs Launch Shocking Contest: “Kill 100 People In 100 Days”

Mac Slavo
    July 29th, 2015
    SHTFplan.com
    http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-new...-days_07292015

Which lead to this, a questionable (?) newspaper in the UK:

Quote Los Angeles gangs 'in sick CONTEST to kill 100 people in 100 days'

Two Los Angeles gangs reportedly made the bet last week following death of Rollin 100 gang member 'KP'
    Social media users warned between Western and Normandie Avenues in South Los Angeles no one would be safe during the 100 days
    Rise in crimes occurred over weekend as one was shot dead and 12 were wounded after more than six shootings in 77th Street district

By Dailymail.com Reporter

Published: 06:08 GMT, 29 July 2015 | Updated: 08:04 GMT, 29 July 2015
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ays-first.html

Which leads to The Daily Beast, New York article which is a bit more informative:

Quote Exclusive07.28.151:13 AM ET
    L.A. Gangs’ Hashtag Bet: Kill 100 People in 100 Days
    After the death of a Rollin 100 gang member, Los Angeles gangs have issued a challenge to kill 100 people as fast as possible. One of the first victims appears to be a 4-year-old boy.

Under the hashtag #100Days100Nights, users on Instagram and Twitter are issuing a stark warning: Two Los Angeles gangs are betting which one can kill 100 people—in a gang, or innocent—within the next 100 days.

A law enforcement source confirmed the reports exclusively to The Daily Beast on Monday night.

The bet—which follows the death of “KP,” a member of the Rollin 100 gang—was allegedly made last week.

Gang members say it will remain “on” for 100 days straight—and innocent people driving between the streets of Western and Normandie in Los Angeles could be risking their lives over a game on Twitter.

Users on social media have tagged images and videos with the hashtag expressing support for the movement, brandishing guns and firing fighting words. Posts now appear chastising neighboring gangs for participating in bloodsport.

The shooting that kicked off a series of violent crimes throughout the weekend occurred on Thursday evening at about 9:50 p.m. on the 2000 block of West 99th Street. A woman and two boys, ages 4 and 11, were wounded after a suspect walked up to their car and opened fire. The shooter is still at large.

Police sources have confirmed that the posts online have been taken very seriously, leading to an increase in officer deployment and other adjustments.

For the family of KP, #100Days100Nights is despicable.

“It’s making him look like a bad person. It’s not like he started this and got killed behind it. He had no control over what’s going on with #100Days100Nights,” one of KP’s family members, who chose to remain anonymous to protect the family’s safety, tells The Daily Beast over the phone.

Contrary to what is being portrayed on the same social networks pushing for the hashtag gang war, KP was a full-time single father dedicated to showing his son a different lifestyle. After the birth of his child, his family says he had turned his life around. While he was still loosely affiliated with a gang, the family says he mostly kept to himself and did not participate in gang-related activities.

As the 100 days loom, the neighborhood has taken several calls to action. A civil rights group has planned a community meeting to ask rival gangs to call an immediate ceasefire.

“With the shootings, I feel like all of that is unnecessary. I can’t say for them how they should feel about the situation—whether they should go about their revenge or not—I just feel like they shouldn’t go about it that way,” says KP’s family member.

In the past year, Los Angeles has seen a surge in crime after years of decline. Overall, the increase is about 14 percent higher than last year, the Los Angeles Police Department’s Charlie Beck told the police commission in March of this year.

This past weekend in South Los Angeles, the uptick in violent crime was evident, and likely tied to #100Daysand100Nights. The 77th District, which contains some of L.A.’s most dangerous neighborhoods, witnessed 11 people shot.

“It’s just gonna put them in the same situation: You either are going to die behind this or go to jail behind this.”

The first occurred around 4 p.m. on Saturday at the intersection of 81st and Hoover streets. A suspect drove up to a man in his car and unloaded a round of bullets before fleeing. The victim, 47-year-old Anthony Alonzo Cudger, was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police are still determining a motive, but sources close to the victim believe it had to do with an argument that took place at a gang member’s funeral just a little over a mile away.

Seven blocks away, less than an hour after the first shooting, another man in his 40s was shot in his car at the intersection of 75th and Figueroa streets. The victim was able to drive himself to the hospital, but his assailant managed to get away.

A little after 9 p.m., authorities found a man in his 20s shot in the stomach at Hyde Park Boulevard and Brynhurst Avenue, and rushed him to a hospital.

About 35 minutes later, a gunman shot three people who were walking down the street at 47th Street and Budlong Avenue, less than four miles from the last shooting. The victims, two men and one woman, were all taken to a hospital. One is in critical condition.

There was also another car-to-car shooting that occurred on Sunday shortly after midnight, according to City News Service. The victim, a man in his 20s, told police that someone shot at him and wounded him in his buttocks, possibly over road rage. He was taken to a hospital, and the shooter fled the scene, according to LAist.

Now, KP’s family is pleading for the end of violence.

“It’s just gonna put them in the same situation: You either are going to die behind this or go to jail behind this,” the family member says. “It’s not gonna make a difference, it’s just making it worse.”
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...-100-days.html

As for MSM sites, most just barely graze the "bet" rumor... almost like violence in that area has and always will be there, no big deal.....

Quote Gang feuds fueled surge in South L.A. shootings, LAPD chief says

.....Fears of increased gang activity intensified across social media sites last weekend after a series of shootings in South L.A. left one man dead and 12 people wounded. One of the most incendiary claims to emerge was that a gang had vowed 100 days of violence, sparking alarming hashtags like #100days100nights and #PrayforLA on Twitter and Instagram.

Beck reiterated Wednesday what LAPD brass has said in recent days: Investigators have not linked the violence to the social media activity. But, the chief said, his detectives were "looking very closely at it."

"There are many, many urban myths and many of them coincide with gang activity," Beck said. "I would hope that this is one of those."

Beck said four of the shootings that occurred Saturday in the LAPD's 77th Street Division -- which covers some of the city's most violent neighborhoods -- were tied to a decades-long rivalry between two gangs. Beck declined to name the gangs he said were involved......
    http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...729-story.html

Here's another:

Quote Spike in gang violence leads to increased LAPD patrols in South Los Angeles

Wednesday, July 29, 2015 06:21PM
    SOUTH LOS ANGELES (KABC) --

A spike in gang violence in South Los Angeles could be spread by social media and has resulted in increased police patrols in the area

....Some believe the shootings are related to the social media postings using #100Days100Nights. They are messages warning of gang warfare and threats of 100 days of violence.

LAPD Chief Charlie Beck downplayed the social media hashtag, stating the gang dispute dates back more than 40 years ago.

Community leaders are very concerned by the recent gang activity. Pastor Anthony Smith of the Jericho Baptist Church in Compton worries the violence could spread.

Beck said there is no sign of continuing violence in South Los Angeles. He believes the posts were made by people who have no involvement in any activity in the area. Still, the police department is increasing patrols.
    http://abc7.com/news/gang-violence-s...uth-la/892053/

So, what's the psyop lesson for today?
    "Vision without action is merely a dream.
    Action without vision just passes the time.
    Vision with action can change the world." Joel Arthur Barker

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MorningSong For This Post:

Nasu (31st July 2015)

3. Link to Post #2
    UK Unsubscribed
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 times in 591 posts

Default Re: Violent Street Gangs Launch Shocking Contest: “Kill 100 People In 100 Days”

Ignore the fear mongering and get on with your day.

4. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

Default Re: Violent Street Gangs Launch Shocking Contest: “Kill 100 People In 100 Days”

Thanks, MorningFox for your completely enlightening contribution.... but if someone you knew got shot by these raving idiots, how would you feel???

No comment necessary.... have a nice facial sand bath.

Are you saying that nothing is going on there and that it is all ok with you?

I am not fear mongering.... no way, I report what I see and hear. I want to know if it is real, too. Can you comment, please, on the info and not insult me?
    Last edited by MorningSong; 30th July 2015 at 15:34.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MorningSong For This Post:

Nasu (31st July 2015)

6. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,784 times in 3,539 posts

Yeah I caught that too. "Could lead" so they are that determined to declare ML? Won't work. Liberty or death.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lifebringer For This Post:

MorningSong (30th July 2015)

8. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

What really bothers me is that this has gone viral on social networks! People believe that it is real!

And how many more people might get killed, or kill out of fear?

9. Link to Post #6
    UK Unsubscribed
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 times in 591 posts

Quote Posted by MorningSong (here)
    Thanks, MorningFox for your completely enlightening contribution.... but if someone you knew got shot by these raving idiots, how would you feel???

No comment necessary.... have a nice facial sand bath.

Are you saying that nothing is going on there and that it is all ok with you?

I am not fear mongering.... no way, I report what I see and hear. I want to know if it is real, too. Can you comment, please, on the info and not insult me?
    You're insulted by that!? Then you have my pity. You asked what the lesson for today was... I offered my opinion.

10. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

...I guess I didn't understand you.... I thought your message was for me, personally.

I still don't understand how fear mongering fits in. Who's doing the fear mongering? The people relaying the myth (or alarm)?

My opinion, as to what the lesson is, is that social networks are being employed to send out a viral message, as it has been used before, but usually for rallying for a civil cause. The problem with this situation is the message: Stay locked inside your homes or you could be killed by crazed gangs who want someone to die, at least one a day, for the next 100 days... and if you don't watch out, it could be you.

And what better excuse for calling in the troups for securing the area?

11. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,844 times in 876 posts

Look how far this idea has spread. The nastiness has spread to this thread.

Seems like this is a time to do a meditation for peace. There is proof of previous success in lowering crime. I will meditate for peace vibes in South L.A. If you are active on Facebook spread the word.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to grannyfranny100 For This Post:

Mark (31st July 2015), Michelle Marie (30th July 2015), Mike (1st August 2015), Nasu (31st July 2015), Pasang (30th July 2015)

13. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

And what better excuse for calling in the troups for securing the area?
    That might be the reason why this message got spread.
    But: why would gangs do that? It's not about drugs, money or other gangs, so I don't know if they actually would get an idea like that.
    Just my opinion, I don't know any gang members.

If people want to believe it, they will. You could post or reply to these Kind of messages that this might be a hoax.
    But anyway, I wouldn't think about it too much and concentrate on positive things.
    Maybe do the meditation grannyfranny100 is suggesting.

14. Link to Post #10
    Thanks

I am sorry, granny... it certainly was not my intention.... to spread any nastiness... but I must say, I no longer recognize this world in which we live in and nothing anymore surprises me...and if I can save but one life, I will fire up the beacon.

Thanks for bringing me back to the ground, hands on board. Yes... may we have peace.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MorningSong For This Post:

grannyfranny100 (31st July 2015), Pasang (30th July 2015)

16. Link to Post #11
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,377 times in 220 posts

I work next to this area. I have co-workers who drive through this area to get to work every morning.
    Gang violence is not something new in south central LA.

I am not sure whether this is real or a fabricated story. One thing I know is: people are concerned.
    I for one, will steer clear of the area where this is all supposedly happening.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skyflower For This Post:

Nasu (31st July 2015), Violet (31st July 2015)

18. Link to Post #12
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,286 times in 818 posts

Lies!!

Just more propaganda programing through the media.. Obvious fear mongering in hopes of creating more division and instability within communities. Isn't it amazing how the media can get such a scoop on these things but the people that actually reside in these areas are oblivious to it. hmmm

Peace
    --
    Humans created so much wonder through their division, just imagine what they can do through Unity...

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Peace of Mind For This Post:

Fellow Aspirant (1st August 2015), GrnEggsNHam (31st July 2015), Mark (31st July 2015), MorningFox (31st July 2015), Nasu (31st July 2015), Pasang (31st July 2015)

20. Link to Post #13
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,163 times in 1,390 posts

So, what's the psyop lesson for today?
    Tool up quick maybe?
    the greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated --- Gandhi

21. Link to Post #14
    Jamaica Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,160 times in 444 posts

EEEK! I'm going to hide under the covers.

Smells like psyop to me.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to jake gittes For This Post:

Selkie (31st July 2015)

23. Link to Post #15
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,777 times in 956 posts

Hello Siblings,

If this story is followed by some politician's demands
    for the widespread confiscation of weapons, or the loss of yet more civil liberties,
    then there's a high probability the whole story was bullsh!t.
    That is... in my humble opinion.

be happy :-)

lucidity

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lucidity For This Post:

MorningFox (31st July 2015), Pasang (31st July 2015), Selkie (31st July 2015)

25. Link to Post #16
    Thanks

When you hear somthing like this, always ask yourself: Why would somebody do it? Is it for money? Or power?
    If it's for money or power, then it's quite likely who's behind all that.
    If not, ask yourself if the story can be true anyway.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Pasang For This Post:

GrnEggsNHam (31st July 2015)

27. Link to Post #17
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,844 times in 876 posts

MorningSong, I got lucky. After several weeks of waiting for medical tests results, I do not have cancer. That's always the first thought about any testing. We have been so conditioned to wonder about the big bad "C." It is a big 'ole" kidney stone. The decision on type of surgery will be Dec 4th. I don't have an appointment book jammed as it was in my Soho days when I was proud of it. These days I only have medical stuff.

Most everyone is wound up tight as a musical string. We all seem to be waiting for the other shoe to drop. It must be terribly difficult to manage everyday life when we can feel the tension in the air. When I meditated I saw some faces and they were startled because I was projecting a tropical breeze wafting into LA with a tinge of lavender.....

28. The Following User Says Thank You to grannyfranny100 For This Post:

Mike (1st August 2015)

29. Link to Post #18
    Thanks

I'd be more concerned about dying from a Doctor prescribed medication. Dont let them convince you the world is so big, scary, and unpredictable that you can't make it on your own. It is not, and you can!
    "As long as you still view the stars as something above you, you still lack a viewpoint of knowledge" -Fredrich Nietzche

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Koyaanisqatsi For This Post:

Mike (1st August 2015)

31. Link to Post #19
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,600 times in 1,987 posts

If I remember correctly, didn't the Son of Sam boast that they (It was a gang. Berkowitz did not work alone.) were going to kill 100 people in 100 days? And didn't the killings start on July 29, 1976?

p.s. Don't forget that August 1 is Lammas Day...the first day of autumn, according to the Gaian calendar.

addition That is not to say that this 100-people-in-100-days thing is not a psyop, btw.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Selkie For This Post:

Mike (1st August 2015)

33. Link to Post #20
    Canada Avalon Member Fellow Aspirant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,595 times in 1,002 posts

Hoax

Some media can't resist the Chicken Little approach to getting attention (and dollars). Especially the likes of SHTF. I mean come on, you just have to look at their name, for gawd's sake.

I find good old Snopes to be a reliable source of truth:

Claim: Gangs in Los Angeles are killing 100 people in 100 days.

image: http://www.snopes.com/images/m/false.png
    FALSE

Example: [Collected via Tumblr, July 2015]

Heard on Facebook that a south Los Angeles gang has vowed to kill 100 people in 100 days:

image: http://m.snopes.com/wp-content/uploa...l-100-game.jpg

Origins: In July 2015, a warning that Los Angeles gangs had vowed to kill 100 people in 100 days went viral. While the exact origins of the rumor are unclear, the majority of iterations of it pointed to a 25 July 2015 post on laurmahni.tumblr.com that read:

anyone living in Los Angeles on ANY 100 streets please be careful or better yet stay in doors unless you’re driving. there’s gangs going around killing people. it’s a game they’re playing. to kill 100 people in 100 days and so far they’ve killed 18 people. They’re willing to kill anyone. PLEASE PLEASE be careful.

The rumor echoed numerous other legends about gangs engaging in games, contests, or initiations involving the non-purposeful killing of random victims. Gang issues involving gun violence are certainly issues of current concern to Los Angelenos and local police, but there is no substantive evidence that gangs there are playing a game involving the actual killing of 100 people in 100 days.

Although social media posts have referenced the idea of a “100 days of violence” or “100 kills in 100 days” by Los Angeles gangs, local law enforcement members who deal with gangs asserted such threats were largely a form of bragging by gangs who have neither the intent nor the capability to carry them out:

Social media posts claim two gangs have claimed a battle to reach 100 kills before the other.

Gang intervention teams who spend their days and nights working with hardcore gang members say they have investigated the social media threats and believe it’s just one way gang members are “banging.”

“They’ve been having issues with each other since the 70s anyway,” said Ben Owens, known as “Taco” on the street. “We’re trying to communicate to the community that this is something that’s being promoted through social media. However, we don’t believe that that’s what either community wants to see happen. We don’t believe that people want to kill 100 people within 100 days.”

“I think that people overestimate gangs,” Owens said, claiming neither gang has the resources or the intent to do so.

Aqeela Sherrills calls himself a peace advocate and doesn’t believe South LA gangs have the ability or the necessity to use social media for violent threats.

“People in the neighborhood are crazy, they’re dysfunctional, but they ain’t stupid,” Sherrills says, adding that the online messages list borders and boundaries which is far too much information any gang member would admit to.

Kevin “Twin” Orange says if the intentions were real, whoever was making the online claim would make themselves known.

“There’s no face to it,” he said. “If somebody was really gonna do a challenge like that, they’re gonna put a face to it, there’s gonna be a name to it and say this is me and we’re about to do that.”

The posting of similar rumors garnered the attention of the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD), who noted an increase in social media warnings about gang violence but said there was “no evidence to corroborate the threat” of “100 days of violence” campaign and that shootings had not increased significantly since such rumors began circulating:

[W]arnings of increased gang violence intensified across social media platforms after more than half a dozen shootings in South L.A. left one man dead and 12 people wounded.

The postings created an echo chamber in which it was difficult to determine what was a real threat and what was rumor. One of the most incendiary claims was that a gang had vowed 100 days of violence after [a] 27-year-old man was killed on July 17, sparking alarming hashtags such as #100days100nights and #PrayforLA on Twitter and other sites.

LAPD South Bureau Deputy Chief Bill Scott noted that while the department is closely monitoring online activity around #100days100nights, they are more concerned about the fear it has evoked from the community than with the possibility of an underlying threat. While the incidents over the weekend were gang-related, they aligned more with typical criminal acts than a movement that would involve “indiscriminate acts of violence” randomly targeting neighborhood residents.

“We are hearing that this is really not a valid posting,” Scott said. “This situation may just be a bunch of hype.” He clarified that the tactical alert [police] issued was in response to the spike in violence — common given the cyclical nature of gang activity — and not to the hashtag itself.

Police said they were monitoring the traffic as they try to quell the violence. Scott met with gang intervention workers, telling them there was no evidence to corroborate the threats and asking for help in calming fears.

“You’ve got everyday folks who have nothing to do with the gang lifestyle and culture scared,” he said.

“Gang rivalries are now fought by insults and threats on social media,” said Robert Rubin, a community intervention worker in South Los Angeles.

An internal sheriff’s memo sent to deputies warned them about the “social media chatter” that included photos of guns and “discussion of 100 days and 100 [nights] of violence/retaliation.” The memo included screen shots, hashtags and Instagram accounts with “significant chatter.”

Sheriff’s Capt. Steven J. Sciacca, who heads the department’s South L.A. station, said investigators were still assessing the social media messages but hadn’t seen a significant spike in shootings since they began to circulate.

According to LAPD records, there has been 33 percent fewer gang-related homicides so far this year than there were at this time in 2008.

Last updated: 28 July 2015

Originally published: 26 July 2015

Sources:

Cruz, Nicole Santa et al. “Gang Threats of Violence on Social Media Draw Fear.”
    Los Angeles Times. 27 July 2015.

Klemack, John Cádiz. “Is Social Media Fueling South LA Gang Violence?”
    KNBC-TV [Los Angeles]. 27 July 2015.

Klemack, Wang, Yanan. “L.A. Street Gangs Take Vicious Feuds to Social Media.”
    The Washington Post. 28 July 2015.
    (Visited 64,819 times, 4,795 visits today)
    Related articles:

Read more at http://m.snopes.com/gangs-kill-100-d...9cErA64Zfpp.99

http://m.snopes.com/gangs-kill-100-days/

Calm down, everybody.

and Namaste!

Brian
    A human being is a part of the whole, called by us "Universe," a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separate from the rest—a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness.

Albert E.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Fellow Aspirant For This Post:

Selkie (1st August 2015)

+ Reply to Thread