Thread: Katherine Albrecht: Windows 10 Is Full Blown Electronic Tyranny

1. Link to Post #201
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,445 times in 8,541 posts

Default Re: Katherine Albrecht: Windows 10 Is Full Blown Electronic Tyranny

Quote Posted by norman (here)
    The Applications substitution issues are 2 pronged.

There's the Drivers and all things under the bonnet that have to behave the same. Then there's the "Front End".

Decent productivity depends entirely on a good interface between the human and the machine. While there are certain obvious design functions that are universal, there are enormous amounts of fiddly things that have to be learned and become automatic-ish for the person. And, there's the hands on comfort and simplicity, for e.g. a quick right click and drag instead of opening a menu or worse.

"Audacity" is a very capable audio editor, so I'm always told, but it's interface is either not thought out like my brain works, or is just stupid. I've installed it 4 or 5 times over the years, just to see how it's been coming along ( as an open source project ). I've never been inclined to stick with it though, always preferring my Cooledit Pro 2, by a long mile.
    I was just about to say "Find an old copy of cool edit pro" as I was reading about your audacity "incompatibilies" . I also have issues with using audacity. I now use Adobe Audition, which is "Cool Edit Pro" after Adobe bought it from the original author. It sucks that they charge what they do for it now, but it's nice to have a very familiar interface from way back - adobe has altered it a fair bit over the years, but mostly for the better and the interface has stayed pretty much the same -- I used to use cool edit Pro ~20 years ago.

Anyway, just a sidebit ... back to topic.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Johnny (21st September 2016), norman (21st February 2017)

3. Link to Post #202
    United States Avalon Member Blacklight43's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,900 times in 245 posts

I'm a new convert! Just made the leap from bill gates and his crap to an I-Mac! Now the learning process begins again. I have been using pc's and windows products and HP and various machines (6) since early 2000. Figured with all I have spent on machines and repairs I would have been money ahead to have gone with Apple in the first place. So I've made the switch and hopefully won't have to buy a new machine again. At my age I'm looking for this to be my last purchase.!!! Windows 10 was put on my machine over my objections and I hate it! Can't use my optic drive now. Since I have to buy an external I'll do it for the IMac.

Thanks for letting me vent!!!

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Blacklight43 For This Post:

avid (21st September 2016), Fanna (22nd September 2016), Johnny (22nd September 2016), KiwiElf (22nd September 2016), Ron Mauer Sr (21st September 2016)

5. Link to Post #203
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 times in 625 posts

Microsoft is adding the Linux command line to Windows 10, and they need help

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/30/11...ux-ubuntu-bash

Johnny
    There would be no life here on Earth without YOU, at least not as YOU know it. /Johnny

The fact that I pressed the thanks button is not necessarily because I agree with you, but more so that I can see the threads I follow, that I have read your post.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Johnny For This Post:

Blacklight43 (22nd September 2016), Fanna (22nd September 2016), KiwiElf (22nd September 2016), Ron Mauer Sr (23rd September 2016)

7. Link to Post #204
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,520 times in 5,690 posts

Quote Posted by Blacklight43 (here)
    I'm a new convert! Just made the leap from bill gates and his crap to an I-Mac! Now the learning process begins again. I have been using pc's and windows products and HP and various machines (6) since early 2000. Figured with all I have spent on machines and repairs I would have been money ahead to have gone with Apple in the first place. So I've made the switch and hopefully won't have to buy a new machine again. At my age I'm looking for this to be my last purchase.!!! Windows 10 was put on my machine over my objections and I hate it! Can't use my optic drive now. Since I have to buy an external I'll do it for the IMac.

Thanks for letting me vent!!!
    Welcome to the club (& what should be a more pleasant and economical experience). As noted earlier, my Mac has outlasted 3 x PCs. When you add the cost of those 3 machines plus the wasted time of reinstalling everything 3 x, the Mac's "pricey" (sorry Ron ) initially more expensive cost is worth it. Ford or Porsche? (Buy the Porsche!)

Also, running Bootcamp, you are effectively getting a Mac OS & Windows OS (pre Windows 10) in ONE box. All you need to do is run Bootcamp & install Windows 7-8 on a partition on your Mac. - Of coz, once installed, turn Windows Update OFF!
    Last edited by KiwiElf; 23rd September 2016 at 00:10.

8. Link to Post #205
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,438 times in 21,490 posts

Quote Posted by Paul (here)
    I've spent the last 5 or 10 days rebuilding my main system without SystemD. SystemD embodies the "Window-fication" of Linux. It has been adopted by (or imposed on) all the major Linux distributions. The date of 11 Feb 2014 is a date that shall live in infamy, when Bdale Garbee cast the deciding vote to convert Debian to SystemD.

I'm now running Arch Manjaro OpenRC (and a fair sized helping of software I wrote myself.)
    I continue to run Arch Manjaro OpenRC, and continue to be quite pleased with it.

My decision to get rid of SystemD is reconfirmed by this report, of a trivial bug (trivial code error, and trivial to cause) that has been in SystemD for two years now, that allows any running code, by any user, to easily crash the master process PID == 1: How to Crash Systemd.

As this article states:
    Quote Systemd's problems run far deeper than this one bug. Systemd is defective by design. Writing bug-free software is extremely difficult. Even good programmers would inevitably introduce bugs into a project of the scale and complexity of systemd. However, good programmers recognize the difficulty of writing bug-free software and understand the importance of designing software in a way that minimizes the likelihood of bugs or at least reduces their impact. The systemd developers understand none of this, opting to cram an enormous amount of unnecessary complexity into PID 1, which runs as root and is written in a memory-unsafe language.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Bill Ryan (2nd October 2016), Ewan (6th October 2016), Johnny (2nd October 2016), KiwiElf (2nd October 2016), norman (21st February 2017), Omni (3rd October 2016)

10. Link to Post #206
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 95,891 times in 15,481 posts

Anyway, for those of us using Windows and wanting to prevent it from calling home with all of one's specifics; there is an additional tool which can be used and provided by Spybot/Safer-Networking (bottom of page):
    Quote Spybot Anti-Beacon our tool to disable telemetry options in Windows.
    To add to the "GWX Control Panel" and "Never 10" tools.

PS: Revisiting Steve Gibson's site, there is this notice:

Quote NOTICE!! New Windows OPTIONAL Update REMOVES the GWX Crapware! (KB3184143)
    Microsoft as released an OPTIONAL (you must enable it in Windows Update,

or obtain it from their website). This removes all of the GWX (Get Windows
    10) nonsense from PCs. HERE IS THE MICROSOFT LINK TO THE UPDATE.
    Last edited by Hervé; 5th October 2016 at 17:00.
    "La réalité est un rêve que l'on fait atterrir" San Antonio AKA F. Dard

Troll-hood motto: Never, ever, however, whatsoever, to anyone, a point concede.

11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

Bill Ryan (5th October 2016), Bob (5th October 2016), Ewan (6th October 2016), Foxie Loxie (14th November 2016), Johnny (6th October 2016), PathWalker (5th October 2016), Ron Mauer Sr (5th October 2016), TargeT (5th October 2016)

12. Link to Post #207
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks

Kaspersky attacks Microsoft as anti-competitive

Published time: 14 Nov, 2016 10:56
    Edited time: 14 Nov, 2016 14:23
    Get short URL

Eugene Kaspersky, CEO of Kaspersky lab © Vladimir Trefilov / Sputnik

The founder of cybersecurity firm Kaspersky Lab has accused US software giant Microsoft of making it unfairly difficult for antivirus companies to complete following a Windows 10 update.

“Microsoft has created obstacles to third-party products and is acting against the interests of the antivirus developers,” company CEO Eugene Kaspersky wrote in a blog post entitled Enough is enough.

Microsoft has reportedly reduced the period for independent developers to adapt their antivirus software to the Windows 10 operating system to just six days, compared with two months for earlier versions.

Russia's Federal Antimonopoly Service (FAS) opened an investigation into Microsoft after Kaspersky filed a complaint.

“As Microsoft is the firm developing Windows Defender antivirus software, which plugs in automatically, if third-party software fails to adapt to Windows 10 in due time, these actions are leading to unreasonable advantages for the company in the software market,” said Deputy Head of FAS Anatoly Golomolzin.

Kaspersky Lab is also planning to file complaints against Microsoft in the EU for being anti-competitive, according to company representative Julia Ilyina.

Kaspersky claims to have spent “months of fruitless discussions and multiple exhausting attempts to resolve the issue directly with Microsoft.”

“The trend is clear: Microsoft is gradually squeezing independent developers out of the Windows ecosystem if it has its own application for this or that purpose,” Kaspersky wrote.

Related:
    Russia's Kaspersky Lab, Intel & Europol take on ransomware

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

Bill Ryan (24th March 2017), Cara (15th November 2016), Foxie Loxie (14th November 2016), Johnny (14th November 2016), Ron Mauer Sr (14th November 2016)

14. Link to Post #208
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks

Windows 10 Devices Continue to 'Collect Everything You Do, Say and Write'

Sputnik Tech20:19 21.02.2017

© Photo: Pixabay

European Union data protection authorities have expressed fresh concerns about the privacy of Microsoft's Windows 10 operating system, despite tweaks being made to the OS after questions were raised about its treatment of personal data last year.

In a letter, the Article 29 Working Group said it still has "significant concerns" about how Microsoft collects and processes users' personal data, and whether it obtains fully informed consent from users to do so.

"There is an apparent lack of control for users to prevent collection or further processing of such data. As a result, the Working Party specifically requests further explanatory information from Microsoft, as to how the opt-outs, default settings and other available control mechanisms presented during the installation of Windows 10 operating system provide a valid legal basis for the processing of personal data under the Data Protection Directive 95/46/EC. This is especially of concern where Microsoft would rely on consent as a legal basis for the processing of personal data," the statement said.

Windows 10 launched in July 2015, and almost immediately garnered criticism for the use of default settings to harvest voluminous amounts of user data, such as web browsing history, WIFI network names and passwords, in order to display personalized adverts as users browse the web or play games. User data is also fed in to train Microsoft's Cortana digital assistant.

While users were given the ability to opt-out of data collection, the process for doing so was criticized for being complex and opaque, comprising 45 pages of privacy policy documents, with opt-out settings spread across 13 different screens and housed on an external website.

In response, the Article 29 Working Party instigated an investigation, as did several national data protection authorities, including France's CNIL. Their independent conclusions were much the same; the company must stop excessive data collection.

Among the breaches CNIL accused Microsoft of were failing to obtain notice for data transfers, breaking cookie law requirements, having inadequate security protections for personal data, failure to file an authorization request for processing personal data for fraud prevention purposes, and breach of cross-border data transfer restrictions.

CNIL set a deadline of January 31 for Microsoft to comply with their recommendations, although the Working Group's warning suggests the tech giant is yet to fulfil their obligations, meaning it can be fined. In all, Microsoft could face fines of up to US$3.2 million for breaches of domestic privacy laws.

The EU General Data Protection Regulation, due to come into force May 2018, increases the potential penalties for companies breaching EU data protection law, with fines of up to four percent of annual turnover for enterprises found to be non-compliant.

The issue of informed consent in respect of data sharing has also seen Facebook and WhatsApp fall foul of European regulators; the companies were forced to suspend data sharing after making a change to WhatsApp's privacy policy that pushed users to consent to sharing information such as their mobile phone number with the messaging app's parent company.

In a statement, European Digital Rights said Microsoft "grants itself very broad rights to collect everything you do, say and write" on Windows 10-equipped devices in order to sell more targeted advertising or to sell your data to third parties.

"The company appears to be granting itself the right to share your data either with your consent "or as necessary." Microsoft's updated privacy policy is not only bad news for privacy. Your free speech rights can also be violated on an ad hoc basis," the statement said.

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

Bill Ryan (24th March 2017), Ewan (25th March 2017), Foxie Loxie (21st February 2017), Heavy Duty (24th March 2017), Johnny (21st February 2017), Omni (23rd February 2017), Ron Mauer Sr (21st February 2017)

16. Link to Post #209
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks

Windows 10 has been logging everything you type — here's how to stop it

Claire Bernish The Free Thought project
    Thu, 23 Mar 2017 21:31 UTC

© The Free Thought Project

According to a startling new report, if you use Windows 10, every, single keystroke you've ever entered on your computer has been logged.

If that weren't alarming enough to the privacy-minded among us, all of that information is being sent directly to Microsoft.

All of which begs the question, is this why Microsoft was so insistent its users download Windows 10 as soon as it became available?

"You know those nagging questions during the installation process that ask you whether or not you want to 'help' improve Windows by sending data to Microsoft? If you happened to answer 'yes' to one of these questions, or if you went with the Microsoft default installation, there is a real possibility that everything you have done on your computer from the get-go, including sending 'secure' messages (because the keyboard logger captures your keystrokes before they appear in your secure messaging app), is now a part of a massive user database somewhere," reports SHTFPlan.com.

"It's been reported that Microsoft has been using the data to improve artificial intelligence writing and grammar software, but it's not clear what else they are doing with it."

Unlike recent headlines of security breaches, hacks, and compromised database information, this rather contentious little issue has a few rather simple solutions.

If you have yet to upgrade to Windows 10, you're in luck — just select "custom install" and make sure to check "no" for each of the questions asked about sending information out to Microsoft or any third party.

"To find out whether everything you type is being logged, SHTFPlan notes,

Simply click on your Windows 10 Start Menu. From there, go to Settings (or the gear icon) -> Privacy -> General.

You'll want to turn off the option that says, 'Send Microsoft info about how I write to help us improve typing and writing in the future.'

International Business Times explains what to do if you've already upgraded:

If you have Windows 10 installed, then you need to go to the Start menu and then select Settings > Privacy > General. Turn off the option that reads, 'Send Microsoft info about how I write to help us improve typing and writing in the future'. To be safe, restart your computer after selecting this option.

For those with technical knowledge, there are additional steps you can take to eradicate the gossip line between your computer and Microsoft — but they come with the caveat the methods have been discovered by the Windows 10 users community, so they cannot be guaranteed to be safe or effective.

Windows Update MiniTool

"The Windows Update MiniTool freeware by MajorGeeks allows users to check for Windows Updates and see a description of what they do. You can decide whether you want to install the available updates, hide the ones you don't like and even delete updates that have been installed that you disagree with," IBT explains.

This software explains software updates simply and makes an uninstall easy if necessary.

Reduce Updates

By reducing the number of extraneous updates Microsoft sends your computer — keeping vital security patches and the like — users with low bandwidth have an option.

"To do this, go to the Start menu and then select Settings > Network & Internet > Wi-Fi. In Wi-Fi, click 'Advanced Options' and then select 'on' for the option 'Set as metered connection'."

Turn Off All Updates

Although this method is not at all advised and thus must be done at your own risk, "Go to the Start menu and type 'Run' in the search field. Click on the program, type 'services.msc' and then click 'OK'. Look in the list of services, find the 'Windows Update' listing and double-click on it. Click on the drop down menu for 'Startup type' and select 'Disabled', then click OK to confirm and restart your computer."

While these fixes might take Microsoft's nose out of your business, keep in mind we have recently become privy to the CIA's egregiously invasive spying program — a mirror twin of the already-dubious NSA domestic spy dragnet and more.

17. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

Bill Ryan (24th March 2017), Ewan (25th March 2017), Foxie Loxie (2nd September 2017), Heavy Duty (24th March 2017), Johnny (27th March 2017), norman (25th March 2017), onawah (24th March 2017), Ron Mauer Sr (24th March 2017), ThePythonicCow (24th March 2017)

18. Link to Post #210
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,108 times in 8,176 posts

I've heard of people switching things off in Win 10 and then finding that they are switched back on again after updates.

I've fallen out with windows post WinXP. I cannot work with a system that bosses me around and denies me access to folders I've created myself, even, to organise work files.

Before anyone says 'get a Mac', I tried one briefly, a macbook, and got very close to throwing the thing at the wall.

I've been using computers since MS DOS and have always expected them to be bit crunching tools that I can have complete control over, not a like-it-or-lump-it service access point that I don't even want to subscribe to.

I recently found out about a project that's trying to create an open source windows XP replacement. I saw a youtube vid of someone trying it out but he was having lots of problems with it. I hope they get it sorted. That could be perfect for me.

I've only ever heard one really good thing about Windows 10. Isn't that a terrible state of affairs ? They've completely redone the audio handling engine in Win 10 to make it handle hi-res audio correctly. I've no idea if Mac got there first, but that makes no difference to me anyway, I won't be using either in the foreseeable future, which most likely really means in this lifetime.
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

Ewan (25th March 2017), fourty-two (25th March 2017), Foxie Loxie (2nd September 2017), Johnny (27th March 2017)

20. Link to Post #211
    Slovenia Avalon Member BlueMoon's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Omnisense (here)
    Synopsis: A rundown of the things people agree to by installing windows 10, which includes:
    -Keyloggers sending every keystroke you do to Microsoft and Inherently the Shadow Govt
    -Microphone records anything it can hear, and sends it to Microsoft
    I just wanted to add something about the microphone part. I don't know if the computer sends the recordings to Microsoft, what I do know is, that there is a microphone, not listed in the Windows 10 "recording devices" settings, recording all the time.
    First time I noticed this was a few months ago when I was recording some music. I pressed the record button and even though I later discovered there was no microphone plugged in, my DAW still recorded some signal, very very silent. I had no idea where the microphone that's picking up the signal would be. I still don't know, maybe someone can help.

Posting some images for better understanding whats going on. For musicians/producers out there, I used Reaper software. Input signal for recording: "Windows Sound Mapper". The signal on the second picture was what the hidden microphone was picking up when I was clapping, and you can see that none of the microphones listed in the recording devices windows are picking up any signal at all.

EDIT: I found out that windows sound mapper option was picking up my microphone, plugged into my scarlett soundcard, but the gain on the soundcard was set on 0. After I increased the gain it became obvious that that was the signal I was receiving. I can't seem to find the hidden microphone now ...
    Last edited by BlueMoon; 2nd September 2017 at 11:43.

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BlueMoon For This Post:

avid (2nd September 2017), Bill Ryan (2nd September 2017), fourty-two (2nd September 2017), Foxie Loxie (2nd September 2017), Harley (2nd September 2017), Ron Mauer Sr (2nd September 2017)

22. Link to Post #212
    Moderator (on Sabbatical) Harley's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,345 times in 1,378 posts

Quote Posted by BlueMoon (here)
    EDIT: I found out that windows sound mapper option was picking up my microphone, plugged into my scarlett soundcard, but the gain on the soundcard was set on 0. After I increased the gain it became obvious that that was the signal I was receiving. I can't seem to find the hidden microphone now ...
    Hi BlueMoon,

As you may or may not know, a microphone and a speaker work on the same principle of converting sound to electricity and vice-versa. Depending on the material they are made of, some will work quite well bidirectionally where others maybe not so well. But they all will work bidirectionally, and this can be controlled with the proper use of Software Mapping.

Now I don't know what kind of computer you're using, but now days almost all computer-controlled consumer devices - including your automobile, kitchen appliances, household tv/entertainment systems, and personal computers/electronics (cell phones, etc) - have a small System Speaker installed which is typically used for providing System Alerts and Troubleshooting Codes.

However if any of these devices are connected to any external communication source (internet, wifi, bluetooth, etc) they can also be either controlled or monitored with the use of software.

The System Speaker may be an actual mini-speaker which is attached to the chassis of larger hardware (usually found in older equipment).

(Examples of a Desktop PC Case Speaker/Computer Motherboard Buzzer)

Or it may be a Piezoelectric Transducer (sometimes called a Button Speaker) which is embedded on the hardware motherboard.

(Example of an Embedded Speaker.)

Here are a couple of short articles:

Why Do Computers Have Speakers on Their Motherboards?

Piezoelectric Microphones (Also called Piezoelectric Transducers).

This is just covering the basics but hope it helps!

Last edited by Harley; 2nd September 2017 at 20:17. Reason: Added BlueMoon's Quote
    Harley

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Harley For This Post:

avid (2nd September 2017), BlueMoon (2nd September 2017), Foxie Loxie (2nd September 2017), Hervé (2nd September 2017), Ron Mauer Sr (2nd September 2017)

24. Link to Post #213
    Slovenia Avalon Member BlueMoon's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Harley (here)
    As you may or may not know, a microphone and a speaker work on the same principle of converting sound to electricity and vice-versa. Depending on the material they are made of, some will work quite well bidirectionally where others maybe not so well. But they all will work bidirectionally, and this can be controlled with the proper use of Software Mapping.
    Very interesting, thank you Harley!
    I know how the speakers and microphones work but I didn't know they can be used bidirectionally. I know there are speakers on the motherboard, I suspected there might be some microphones there as well. Guess I was right!

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueMoon For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (2nd September 2017), Harley (2nd September 2017)

26. Link to Post #214
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks

From Jim Stone:

Windows update alert:

This one is VERY STRANGE

The windows machine I have that has never been used online AT ALL, EVER and was brand new when I bought it two months ago, despite NEVER being used online, it suddenly started doing an update that took over an hour.

This computer has no internet connection available to it at all, unless Microsoft has set Windows up to illegally connect to WIFI it has never been told to connect to before. By illegal I mean, password protected "no access" WIFI.

After the update it ran like crap so I tried to force it to re-install from the manufacturer's embedded partition. When I started this from windows it hung at 9 percent for a half hour. I tried again and it always hung at 9 percent.

I then shut the computer off and pushed the NOVO button, (this is something Lenovo computers have, it is a great feature) got into the bios based recovery routine (that totally bypasses microsoft), launched the manufacturer's recovery from there, and it went very quickly, totally re-installed windows, and it runs like new again.

This happened despite:
    1. Having all updates for all applications including windows disabled.
    2. Never having the computer online EVER.
    3. Never having the computer set up to access any WIFI connection at any time whatsoever.
    4. Having wifi disabled in the bios.
    5. Having the computer shut off for two consecutive months, only to turn it on after being boxed up for two months just to burn the Linux DVD'S. After that, the battery was charged but it was shut off and unplugged. It was only on for about 7 hours.
    I turned it on this morning to see how it behaved with flash Linux. Immediately the first thing it did was start updating Windows. The update took a couple hours. Then it looked normal and ran horribly. I then put the other computer through the exact same steps (to see if a virus somehow got onto flash) and nothing happened.

So Windows will ignore being told to not update, and has a secondary channel through which it can pull in updates even if you have Wifi disabled and never configured it to get Wifi from anywhere. The processor was an AMD A8. It has a UEFI bios.

The other computer (which is identical) has had the WIFI card out of it since day one and usually has the hard drive unplugged while it runs Knoppix from flash.

Nothing weird has happened with the other computer.

So it is important to know:
    If your machine is modern [with a] Microsoft [OS], it will defy all orders and ram updates onto itself no matter what, even if you don't have internet and never go online with it.
    Most likely these happen in the dark behind your back, most often; but I happened to catch it doing it.

27. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

Ewan (20th December 2017), Foxie Loxie (17th December 2017), gaiagirl (17th December 2017), meat suit (17th December 2017), Michelle Marie (20th December 2017), Ron Mauer Sr (19th December 2017), StandingWave (17th December 2017)

28. Link to Post #215
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks

From Jim Stone:

Crapware pre-packaged with Windows 10 allows complete and easy password theft

A password manager called "keeper" is installed in Windows 10 by default. It allows easy password theft. Microsoft knew this months ago, and kept this vulnerability wide open in the latest update.

The following was posted to bugs.chromium.org :
    keeper: privileged ui injected into pages (again)
    I recently created a fresh Windows 10 VM with a pristine image from MSDN, and found that a password manager called "Keeper" is now installed by default. I'm not the only person who has noticed this:

I assume this is some bundling deal with Microsoft. I've heard of Keeper, I remember filing a bug a while ago about how they were injecting privileged UI into pages (issue 917).

Amazingly, they're doing the exact same thing again with this version. I think I'm being generous considering this a new issue that qualifies for a ninety day disclosure, as I literally just changed the selectors and the same attack works.

Nevertheless, this is (again) a complete compromise of Keeper security, allowing any website to steal any password. Here is a working demo that steals your twitter password:
    Please consider adding regression tests before releasing an update for this issue, as I do not plan on creating new issues for every piece of UI I can dispatch events to, and attackers will certainly check them all.

This bug is subject to a 90 day disclosure deadline. After 90 days elapse or a patch has been made broadly available, the bug report will become visible to the public.
    My [Jim Stone's] comment: It could not be any more obvious that Microsoft allowed this intentionally in a way they could push the blame off on someone else. This will allow subversive political groups a way to:
    1. Get countless false posts in the names of many people in whatever locations they feel are highly strategic politically.

2. Give them a doorway into every opponent's life, so they can destroy that opponent and the opponent will never know what hit them. That opponent could be as benign as your grandma when it is made this easy for an attacker.

3. Steal whatever they want.
    This kind of security hole is a zionist's dream come true. They can destroy absolutely anyone with it. Not at all surprising it is Microsoft allowing it.

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

Ewan (20th December 2017), Foxie Loxie (19th December 2017), KiwiElf (20th December 2017), Matthew (20th December 2017), Michelle Marie (20th December 2017)

30. Link to Post #216
    United States Avalon Member Michelle Marie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,097 times in 2,584 posts

Quote Posted by Hervé (here)
    From Jim Stone:

Windows update alert:

This one is VERY STRANGE

The windows machine I have that has never been used online AT ALL, EVER and was brand new when I bought it two months ago, despite NEVER being used online, it suddenly started doing an update that took over an hour.

This computer has no internet connection available to it at all, unless Microsoft has set Windows up to illegally connect to WIFI it has never been told to connect to before. By illegal I mean, password protected "no access" WIFI.

After the update it ran like crap so I tried to force it to re-install from the manufacturer's embedded partition. When I started this from windows it hung at 9 percent for a half hour. I tried again and it always hung at 9 percent.

I then shut the computer off and pushed the NOVO button, (this is something Lenovo computers have, it is a great feature) got into the bios based recovery routine (that totally bypasses microsoft), launched the manufacturer's recovery from there, and it went very quickly, totally re-installed windows, and it runs like new again.

This happened despite:
    1. Having all updates for all applications including windows disabled.
    2. Never having the computer online EVER.
    3. Never having the computer set up to access any WIFI connection at any time whatsoever.
    4. Having wifi disabled in the bios.
    5. Having the computer shut off for two consecutive months, only to turn it on after being boxed up for two months just to burn the Linux DVD'S. After that, the battery was charged but it was shut off and unplugged. It was only on for about 7 hours.
    I turned it on this morning to see how it behaved with flash Linux. Immediately the first thing it did was start updating Windows. The update took a couple hours. Then it looked normal and ran horribly. I then put the other computer through the exact same steps (to see if a virus somehow got onto flash) and nothing happened.

So Windows will ignore being told to not update, and has a secondary channel through which it can pull in updates even if you have Wifi disabled and never configured it to get Wifi from anywhere. The processor was an AMD A8. It has a UEFI bios.

The other computer (which is identical) has had the WIFI card out of it since day one and usually has the hard drive unplugged while it runs Knoppix from flash.

So it is important to know:
    If your machine is modern [with a] Microsoft [OS], it will defy all orders and ram updates onto itself no matter what, even if you don't have internet and never go online with it.
    Most likely these happen in the dark behind your back, most often; but I happened to catch it doing it.
    Herve,

Is it ALL of Microsfts operating systems?

I have a laptop with Vista. It does go on the Internet. I do get updates, but not to Windows 10. I have it set to ask me if I want the updates. Some are optional.

Then I have a desktop that has Window 7. It has not been on the Internet for 5 years. It runs well. No problems.

This information is creepy. Invasive. Deceptive. I don't like things that don't honor free will choice.

Thanks for letting us know.😊

MM
    ~*~ "The best way to predict the future is to create it." - Peter Drucker ~*~ “To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson ~*~ "Creative minds always have been known to survive any kind of bad training." - Anna Freud ~*~

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Michelle Marie For This Post:

Hervé (20th December 2017), KiwiElf (20th December 2017), Matthew (20th December 2017)

32. Link to Post #217
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Desert Dreamer (here)
    [...]
    Herve,
    [...]
    Jim didn't specify the OS his new computer(s) came pre-installed with, but, from the following lines, I infer it/(they) came with Windows 10 installed:

Quote The windows machine I have that has never been used online AT ALL, EVER and was brand new when I bought it two months ago...
    [...]

Now, IIRC, Windows 8 got into troubles when people realized the OS was re-wiring computers' firmwares without telling anyone and turned some computers into heaps of scrap metal. That was "corrected" with Windows 8.1 which, I therefore assume, might be susceptible to similar tricks as Windows 10.

Apparently, no such troubles with Windows 7.

Of course, it is also possible that such an update can be made compatible with previous OS versions... a standalone which could be installed courtesy of some "intelligence" agencies... no end to the possibilities
    Last edited by Hervé; 20th December 2017 at 13:26.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

Michelle Marie (20th December 2017)

34. Link to Post #218
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,659 times in 8,694 posts

Herve,

What we see from un-IT-savy is highly reminiscent of early mysticism....

There no witches, but there ARE some very... "poor"... decisions that were made in the implementation of data gathering / patching and inclusion of back doors.

Updates are good... they keep you "one step ahead" of the script kiddies.... avoiding them (patches) is like hanging a sign up on your internet connected computer saying "hey, I'm susceptible to this easily exploited un-patched vulnerability".

not a high return on effort issue to worry over.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

35. The Following User Says Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Michelle Marie (20th December 2017)

36. Link to Post #219
    United States Avalon Member Michelle Marie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,097 times in 2,584 posts

Thanks Herve and TargeT,

One thing I do is always put in my settings "always ask for updates" and at least I know when updates are being installed and I can do it at a time when it is convenient for me.

I had heard of Windows 7 being automatically updated to windows 10 before, but as I mentioned, that computer has not been on the Internet for over 5 or 6 years.

The other one, with Vista, I get the updates. TargeT, I tried to avoid them for awhile, thinking I'd be safer, but a friend of mine who helps keep my computer efficient admonished me: "Get your updates!" For exactly the same reason you mentioned. Didn't I read somewhere that Vista is no longer supported?

I've lagged behind on purpose in getting the latest operating systems because I did not want to be a beta tester. I'm so glad I did stay behind!

I have had the feeling before, though, that just because A computer is not on the Internet, doesn't mean it is entirely safe.

Maybe the newer, the less safe. I also have computers with Windows 98, and Windows XP. I still have floppy disks in storage! I started working with PCs back in the days of dos. GUIs made it much more easy and fun initially. Now, they do too many things automatically. I've created my own ways of managing files, for example.

Thanks for your help--both of you.💞

💕🎀💕MM💕🎀💕
    ~*~ "The best way to predict the future is to create it." - Peter Drucker ~*~ “To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson ~*~ "Creative minds always have been known to survive any kind of bad training." - Anna Freud ~*~

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Michelle Marie For This Post:

Hervé (20th December 2017)

38. Link to Post #220
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,969 times in 2,392 posts

Quote Posted by TargeT (here)
    Herve,

What we see from un-IT-savy is highly reminiscent of early mysticism....

There no witches, but there ARE some very... "poor"... decisions that were made in the implementation of data gathering / patching and inclusion of back doors.

Updates are good... they keep you "one step ahead" of the script kiddies.... avoiding them (patches) is like hanging a sign up on your internet connected computer saying "hey, I'm susceptible to this easily exploited un-patched vulnerability".

not a high return on effort issue to worry over.
    Oh there are witches, there are definitely witches. Whether they are involved in patch updates I couldn't really say but is it not conceivable that some of these "poor" decisions might have been poor by design at some higher level.

With all the information we have seen, suggesting if not proving, that out of control agencies intent on data gathering have designed backdoors here, there and everywhere then a, relatively speaking, secure Win7 environment just has to be patched to the users detriment in that kind of mindset.

I turned off Windows update manually, I had to in order to stop the Win 10 rollout that was most insistent in installing certain aspects of itself on my machine whether I wanted it or not. In fact I uninstalled certain KB's and rolled back, turning it off (superficially it transpired) by asking windows not to update anything without asking me - but the machine would switch on in the small hours and reinstall regardless. So I cut it off at source and update simply cannot run anymore.

Through a combination of Zone Alarm and NoScript I have had a malware/virus free machine for near two years now and I have no anti-virus running.

Having said all that I fully expect to find my computer locked in 3, 2, *hi*!.

EDIT: BTW, the beauty of my machine is there is no wireless capacity, if the cable is not connected there is no possibilty of external input. Or so I believe.
    Last edited by Ewan; 20th December 2017 at 17:32.

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ewan For This Post:

Hervé (20th December 2017), Michelle Marie (20th December 2017)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst 1 11 12 LastLast