+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 3 12 LastLast

Thread: Katherine Albrecht: Windows 10 Is Full Blown Electronic Tyranny

1. Link to Post #41
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks

Default Re: Katherine Albrecht: Windows 10 Is Full Blown Electronic Tyranny

I'm one of the lucky ones to make uneventful transition to window 10 from the 64 bit 7 pro. As you said, there's nothing to be afraid of, all other PC operating systems have bug reporting tools and myriad of other means to spy on you. There is an active key-logger hiding there in win 10, a google search can reveal the CMD commands to remove it. The ETL file collected can be accessed at C:\ Program Data\Microsoft\Diagnostics\ETLLogs\AutoLogger. Just delete the ETL file found there regularly, or run the commands you find on google. Disable any webcams or microphones, so Cortana won't access them, or disconnect them from your PC.(I don't have neither webcam nor microphone connected to mine). Apple isn't any better as far as security and privacy, at least the ipad is just as intrusive as anything else from either Microsoft or Google's Android. I tried to load some PDF files on my ipad recently, and it refused to display them until the files were recorded to the Apple cloud trough iTunes! I don't mean to defend Microsoft, I loath the company religiously, but personally I find windows 10 their best effort to date. My workstation boots up much faster, and it also seems to run 10%-15% faster than it did with windows 7.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Canonman For This Post:

Swanette (18th October 2015)

3. Link to Post #42
    United States Avalon Member gripreaper's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,685 times in 3,744 posts

Quote Posted by Lost N Found (here)
    I am still running XP Professional and Firefox backs it up still.
    Me too. Every once in awhile a notice will appear on my screen that there is a Windows update available, and I just ignore them. They come saying: This is a "critical update" which is code for...we can't access all of your personal and vital information unless we load back door access, so we would really appreciate it if you would let us load the back door crap, or you could upgrade to Windows 10 where it is automatic.

So, about once every two years, a friend and I save all of my files to an external drive, including all of my Firefox folders, and then we clean sweep my hard drive, reload all of my software from the disks I have for "MY" software, and I start fresh.

I also use CCleaner after every session, sometimes more when I hear stuff running in the background, or when stuff shows up on my Facebook feed or suggestions on You Tube which should not have any apparent link. Where I go and what I look at is nobody's business, even though they want to make everything about me their business.

I wont buy any hardware that does not have the disks with it, be it a printer or whatever. I guess I am just an old school dinosaur with an old school desktop with old school XP, with old school disks, and old school ideas...

Oh well.
    Last edited by gripreaper; 17th October 2015 at 01:37.
    "Lay Down Your Truth and Check Your Weapons
    The Next Voice You Hear Will Be Your OWN"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhS69C1tr0w

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to gripreaper For This Post:

Apophenia (17th October 2015), Constance (17th October 2015), Elen (17th October 2015), Inaiá (17th October 2015), Ivanhoe (17th October 2015), ponda (19th October 2015), Sierra (17th October 2015)

5. Link to Post #43
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,670 times in 1,986 posts

Quote Posted by Mozart (here)
    ---
    So, how do I delete that damn icon?
    ---
    In short: Uninstall of KB3035583 and then hide it when it shows up again, I had to patch the registry also ...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Gwx

I had to create a new key (Gwx), a new 32-bit DWORD named DisableGwx and set its value to 1.

In more details explained near the bottom of this page:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/218856/how-...fication-tray/
    Last edited by Operator; 17th October 2015 at 05:27.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Operator For This Post:

Apophenia (17th October 2015), Gaia (17th October 2015), Hervé (17th October 2015), ponda (19th October 2015)

7. Link to Post #44
    Finland Avalon Member muxfolder's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,851 times in 668 posts

I think Windows 10 was actually pretty good. At least it did work on both my computers. But the thing is, it's not at all ready yet. The present users of Windows 10 are only a huge testing group for troubleshooting bugs and so on. And then there's of course the spying thing which they already have added to Windows 7 and 8 too.

http://arstechnica.com/information-t...o-windows-7-8/

My advice is don't let Windows update automatically. I am using the Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them -option. By the way, there's a rollback option in Windows 10 if you want to uninstall it and get back to the old os. Only you'll have to do it within 30 days.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/rollback-from-windows-10

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to muxfolder For This Post:

Apophenia (17th October 2015), Gaia (17th October 2015)

9. Link to Post #45
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

In the grand scheme of things, what difference is there in the additional NSA infringements on our privacy?

We use machines developed by the Western Allies for code-breaking and espionage during the Second World War, using network databases and internet systems pioneered by the US Navy in the 80s, and when it was released; coincided with the construction of military bases the world over involving information gathering and storage courtesy of our defence forces, the CIA, MI6, ASIO, and others all over the Anglosphere, with satellite surveillance and then some.

These same groups are publicly known to possess data mining utilities and hardware that can find every conceivable point of access or files made on any HDD or SSD at any point in time, even if it has been formatted a hundred times, and even had its binary data scrambled by magnets. This doesn't include anything they have since designed that could access data on a machine in ways the overwhelming majority of the public aren't familiar with.

Unless you know how to open up a HDD and destroy the physical, readable disk inside... then its highly probable everything you've ever typed or read on a PC machine has become known.

You could tell me you were using Windows 3.1 or were behind a dozen proxies on a VPN, and I still wouldn't believe your data is 100% secure from any given government agency.
    The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the
    inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents...
    -Howard Phillips Lovecraft.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Apophenia For This Post:

Gaia (6th November 2015), Hawkwind (17th October 2015)

11. Link to Post #46
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,643 times in 276 posts

I love my Mac...(s)
    Love is all you need

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 42 For This Post:

Gaia (6th November 2015), Nasu (17th October 2015), ponda (19th October 2015)

13. Link to Post #47
    United States Avalon Member eris23's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm curious about Linux. is in more secure? Is it difficult for beginners?
    “There must be some kind of way out of here,”
    Said the joker to the thief.
    --Bob Dylan

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eris23 For This Post:

Gaia (6th November 2015), ponda (19th October 2015), TargeT (17th October 2015)

15. Link to Post #48
    Thanks

Quote Posted by eris23 (here)
    I'm curious about Linux. is in more secure? Is it difficult for beginners?
    Hard to say ... how much time did it take you to get used to Windows (or OSX) ?
    What do you use your computer for the most ?

E.g. if you use it to browse the internet and use Firefox there will be not much difference. I recently installed
    OpenSuSe Linux and Firefox + transferred the Firefox profile on an old spare laptop. I hardly noticed any difference.
    Font-types appear slightly different perhaps ...

But of course there is a lot more to it before you are at that point ... you need to download it, make bootable media
    and install it. Additionally you need to know how to set preferences etc. It is not very difficult but it will take some
    of your time and patience I guess. And you need to be a kind of go-getter who does not give up easily.

If this is the first time you try it you should either install it on a spare computer first or at least as a dual boot system.
    There are also distro's (releases) that can run from CD/DVD (like Ubuntu) without installation so that you can first get
    some touch and feel experience before installing it.

Perhaps some others here can expand a bit more on the Mint release. I think that one is easy to install and has the
    simplest desktop user interface.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Operator For This Post:

Gaia (6th November 2015), Lost N Found (17th October 2015), ponda (19th October 2015), TargeT (17th October 2015)

17. Link to Post #49
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,108 times in 1,389 posts

Before you installing you should read the "Microsoft Privacy agreement"

Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to: 1.comply with applicable law or respond to valid legal process, including from law enforcement or other government agencies; 2.protect our customers, for example to prevent spam or attempts to defraud users of the services, or to help prevent the loss of life or serious injury of anyone; 3.operate and maintain the security of our services, including to prevent or stop an attack on our computer systems or networks; or 4.protect the rights or property of Microsoft, including enforcing the terms governing the use of the services – however, if we receive information indicating that someone is using our services to traffic in stolen intellectual or physical property of Microsoft, we will not inspect a customer’s private content ourselves, but we may refer the matter to law enforcement.
    Love and Hope

18. Link to Post #50
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,662 times in 8,694 posts

Quote Posted by Lost N Found (here)
    HTML Code:
     I personally see it as very damaging to humanity), latest techno
    logy software. Do not get me wrong, Technology can be very good and helpful. I have seen it be so damaging myself to the humanity of our beings simply because of the way it has been brought about.
    I understand your angst, but honestly you do not have issue with technology. You have issues with people.

PEOPLE make the decision to loose themselves in technology, or drugs, or even books. We are quick to assume the "new thing" is an issue, when really it just allows people to express what has always been there.

I've come to the conclusion that we have almost no issues outside of our selves, and never really have... I could expand on this ad nauseum but it's not really on topic.

I'm curious about Linux. is in more secure?
    Yes and no. it's more "secure" like Apple is more secure... less people use it so there's less chance that someone will write malware (malicious software) for it.

Other than that, no it's not more secure (though if you get into the technical bits Linux does handle files differently and if you know what your doing can be locked down very tightly; but that knowing takes a lot of doing haha)

Quote Posted by Operator (here)
    Perhaps some others here can expand a bit more on the Mint release. I think that one is easy to install and has the
    simplest desktop user interface.
    Install Mint on a thumb drive and try it out (a 32gb thumbdrive should cost 32$ or less, you can get away with smaller if needed, but don't go below 8) it will run completely off the thumbdrive and your computer will not be altered, a great way to see if you like it.

I use LINUX distro's for my computer forensics work, it's a great light operating system that doesn't ask for much hardware wise, though you also loose a lot of features.

I'm curious about Linux. Is it difficult for beginners?
    anymore Linux is VERY user friendly and will operate, for the most part, exactly like the windows environment you are used to. And with the ability to install the entire OS on a thumbdrive and boot from it it's a very easy operating system to get into.

Quote Posted by Tangri (here)
    Before you installing you should read the "Microsoft Privacy agreement".
    what do those words MEAN to you? will they alter your every day life in anyway? is that the fact that you are OPENLY told that different from the fact that it's SECRETLY going on all the time?

Is this really worth the effort of a being that has a 1 in 400 trillion chance of existing?

Use the tools offered with good intent, everything else will follow.
    Last edited by TargeT; 17th October 2015 at 23:27.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

19. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Gaia (4th November 2015), Lost N Found (17th October 2015), Nasu (5th November 2015), Operator (18th October 2015), ponda (19th October 2015), PurpleLama (18th October 2015), Swanette (18th October 2015)

20. Link to Post #51
    Thanks

It's not fair to put linux and the the apple's OS at the same level when talking about computer privacy or control. There are linux distributions completely based on open source meaning that you can read/aprove/change every program (source code/compile) you intend to run... if you know how to do it and have the time to such kind of fun, basically you have all the power to really control your computer. Macs and Windows OSs are closed source, you could never know what they put in there on the core to monitor/abuse their users.

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to guayabal For This Post:

Gaia (4th November 2015), gripreaper (18th October 2015), Nasu (5th November 2015), ponda (19th October 2015)

22. Link to Post #52
    Moderator (on Sabbatical) Harley's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 times in 1,378 posts

Microsoft is calling it an "Error". I'm calling it a Strategy.
    i.e. If it doesn't work on your old computer, then buy a new one.
    You see, when you buy a new computer the new Operating System comes with it preinstalled.
    The more computers sold = the more Operating Systems sold = more profit.
    If computer sales drop then Microsoft's profits drop.
    (This should be placed in the "Wake-Up" category!)

Published yesterday, October 16, 2015 on EXTREMETECH

Windows Update Error Forces Some Users To Upgrade To Windows 10

Ever since Microsoft launched Windows 10, the company has come under fire for its aggressive update policies. In the weeks following launch, Windows 7 users were greeted with a giant “Reserve your upgrade today!” banner, every time they launched IE11 (if set to the default home page). At least one of our own writers had a system surprise-install the operating system, despite not being told to do so. And now, in an apparent repeat of what we thought was an odd corner case, Microsoft made an error in Windows Update that’s forcing people to upgrade to Windows 10, whether they wish to do so or not.

The problem, according to Microsoft, is that the Windows 10 Update was switched from “Optional” to “Mandatory” and automatically distributed to users who had “Download and install updates automatically” enabled. PCWorld reports that in at least some cases, users are now locked into an update cycle that they can’t cancel, as shown below. Images courtesy of GWX Control Panel developer Josh Mayfield.

If you see either of the two screens above, it means Microsoft has already downloaded the update and decided to apply it. It’s not yet clear if this can be reversed, or simply delayed. Ars Technica reports that the installer requires manual intervention to proceed, but in at least some cases that evidently defaults to a timer and a reboot counter, as shown above. In a statement, Microsoft said, “In the recent Windows update, this option was checked as default; this was a mistake and we are removing the check.”

This is just the latest ridiculous outcome from Microsoft’s upgrade push. Last month, we found out the company was stealth-downloading the Windows 10 installer, and before that, there were the aforementioned banner ads and obnoxious system tray advertisements.

This Is Why People Don’t Trust Microsoft

As a Windows 7 user who has never allowed Microsoft to perform automatic updates, this kind of problem is precisely why I don’t trust the company to do non-security patches by default. It’s not a question of malicious intent but simple human error. Someone hit the wrong button somewhere, and now people who trust Microsoft have a new headache to deal with. Microsoft’s attempts to create a universal update system for Windows 10, in which all updates are shoved out automatically, is a profound mistake. How long before another switch gets hit by accident and a patch or driver pushes out to systems that shouldn’t actually be running it?

It’s going to happen. The only question is how many people get burned when it does. If you’re on Windows 7 or 8.1, the problems have already started.

23. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Harley For This Post:

Gaia (4th November 2015), greybeard (18th October 2015), guayabal (18th October 2015), Hervé (18th October 2015), meeradas (18th October 2015), Nasu (5th November 2015), Operator (18th October 2015), ponda (19th October 2015)

24. Link to Post #53
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Harley (here)
    ---
    Ever since Microsoft launched Windows 10, the company has come under fire for its aggressive update policies. In the weeks following launch, Windows 7 users were greeted with a giant “Reserve your upgrade today!” banner, every time they launched IE11 (if set to the default home page). At least one of our own writers had a system surprise-install the operating system, despite not being told to do so. And now, in an apparent repeat of what we thought was an odd corner case, Microsoft made an error in Windows Update that’s forcing people to upgrade to Windows 10, whether they wish to do so or not.
    ---
    There's no way I let Microsoft update automatically but I noticed some weeks ago that a giant update download was taking place without any notice.
    A little later my shutdown button showed the exclamation mark informing me that an update was about to take place when shutting down the computer.

Fortunately that never happened but that annoying exclamation mark stayed there, even after I downloaded and installed updates that I wanted and
    needed !?! I guess they forced a download because they have to work with time-slots 'serving' people who might decide to install it. You WILL get it
    even when you never said yes ... ?

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Operator For This Post:

Gaia (4th November 2015), guayabal (18th October 2015), Nasu (5th November 2015)

26. Link to Post #54
    Thanks

Quote Posted by shadowstalker (here)
    I say never upgrade unless you have no choice.
    Try to uninstall windows ten if you can, i am sure there are instructions somewhere on the net for that process
    That's the Problem, on some PC's there are 2 Hard drives. So if you only have one HDD and you either upgrade and keep all files ( I would advise back up everything, and if upgrading, when you get the option it will ask, choose what to keep and Choose the 'Nothing' Option') When choosing The nothing Option, It will perform a clean Install, Once this is chosen, you only have one partition to choose from. If you perform this action from windows 7, 8 or 8.1 once it is finished installing, the hard drive 'thinks' it's never been used before as it has been through a format during the upgrade, meaning it is impossible to uninstall, as the PC will think Windows 10 is the only OS it has ever used.

If you are upgrading from a PC with 2 Hard drives, check in 'my computer' and check which hard drive your current OS is on, and put the Windows 10 on the other Hardrive. This will then giving you an option when booting up the PC of which OS you want to use. Giving you the choice. Which I think is handy.

I think Windows 10 is faster, my speakers are louder, it's sharp, crisp, effortless, so in that sense, to me, it is better than all previous versions of Windows.

Hope this helps

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KevBoh For This Post:

Gaia (4th November 2015), guayabal (18th October 2015), Nasu (5th November 2015)

28. Link to Post #55
    Thanks

Quote Posted by KevBoh (here)
    Quote Posted by shadowstalker (here)
    I say never upgrade unless you have no choice.
    Try to uninstall windows ten if you can, i am sure there are instructions somewhere on the net for that process
    That's the Problem, on some PC's there are 2 Hard drives. So if you only have one HDD and you either upgrade and keep all files ( I would advise back up everything, and if upgrading, when you get the option it will ask, choose what to keep and Choose the 'Nothing' Option') When choosing The nothing Option, It will perform a clean Install, Once this is chosen, you only have one partition to choose from. If you perform this action from windows 7, 8 or 8.1 once it is finished installing, the hard drive 'thinks' it's never been used before as it has been through a format during the upgrade, meaning it is impossible to uninstall, as the PC will think Windows 10 is the only OS it has ever used.

If you are upgrading from a PC with 2 Hard drives, check in 'my computer' and check which hard drive your current OS is on, and put the Windows 10 on the other Hardrive. This will then giving you an option when booting up the PC of which OS you want to use. Giving you the choice. Which I think is handy.

I think Windows 10 is faster, my speakers are louder, it's sharp, crisp, effortless, so in that sense, to me, it is better than all previous versions of Windows.

Hope this helps
    There are also free partition managers like Partition Master Free 10.8 which can virtually split
    your disk into more partitions. I always do when installing new systems. There's a lot to be gained here ... even when you are not installing dual boot systems.

I always create a separate partition with label 'Data'. I never use the Downloads, Documents, Music, Pictures folders that Windows offer in the explore windows.
    Even my Profiles for Waterfox, Thunderbird etc. I keep on that separate partition. When your system crashes or needs a new installation you can wipe the C:
    partition clean and format it without losing your data.

Unfortunately it is not possible (or at least very tricky) to move the hidden AppData folder to a separate partition too. In that folder a lot of software settings
    are stored. But on the other hand ... they don't change that much over time so you can usually take a snapshot and backup the most important settings.

If you're starting completely from scratch you can also start the drive manager at the beginning of the installation process delete all existing partitions and
    create a new set of partitions in the way you like before you start the actual install process.

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Operator For This Post:

Gaia (4th November 2015), guayabal (18th October 2015), Hervé (18th October 2015), KevBoh (19th October 2015)

30. Link to Post #56
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,141 times in 1,888 posts

Okay just one more thing, Listen to the folks that are in here that can help with the latest tech stuff. Good advice and great help I am sure. Here is a link to go to that supposedly will help you to uninstall the nasties.

https://www.hackread.com/microsoft-u...dows7-8-users/

Good luck folks.

31. Link to Post #57
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,662 times in 8,694 posts

Quote Posted by KevBoh (here)
    meaning it is impossible to uninstall, as the PC will think Windows 10 is the only OS it has ever used.
    Just an FYI, it's never impossible to uninstall, you could very easily format your drive and start fresh, this is nothing more than a HUGE inconvenience at worse (since you CAN go back to original OS if you desire) I suggest a "clean install" every 6 months if you can manage it (back up what you want, format your drive and re-install your OS)...

I would HIGHLY recommend using windows update, and letting it go automatically. The majority of my job currently is applying these patches, and others every week; due to the HUGE amount of vulnerabilities that are constantly found these patches are mandatory (in my mind). There's no way a single person could keep up with the amount of exploits that come out, patching is the best option you have to ensure your computer doesn't fall victim to a script kiddie.

I also suggest a minimum of Zone Alarm and Bit Defender

Also (with patching in mind) this software has been a god send, I never let my score drop below 95%. Secunia PSI (this software will look at everything installed on your computer and check if there are any updates available. Since around 80% of the attacks out there are against unpatched software; this software is tremendous help.

but, to each their own eh?
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Gaia (4th November 2015), guayabal (18th October 2015), KevBoh (19th October 2015), Lost N Found (18th October 2015), ponda (19th October 2015)

33. Link to Post #58
    Australia Avalon Member
    Thanks

It simple everyone switch to linux and you'll never have a problem! Ubuntu a great one to start with. I switched over 10years ago and never looked back, Yes I still have a small partition on my hard-drive of windows, as one of the main programs for my job only works on windows, but you can do almost everything these day on linux, And you can get most of the programs that you need in linux for free Yes FREE,
    without all the hassles or having to pay big $$$ dollars for them, and most of them are the leading edge programs.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chiki For This Post:

Gaia (4th November 2015), greybeard (19th October 2015), guayabal (19th October 2015)

35. Link to Post #59
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,141 times in 1,888 posts

Just saying, Does not matter.

http://nesaranews.blogspot.com/2015/...indows-10.html

Wednesday, November 4, 2015
    ALERT: MICROSOFT ADMITS WINDOWS 10 AUTOMATIC SPYING CANNOT BE STOPPED

36. Link to Post #60
    Thanks
    Thanked 79,638 times in 18,693 posts

I put these articles on the Snowden thread when I see them
    on the headline page or other sites, just for ref ( I don't
    understand the tech bits) but I post them anyway...LOL

https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...=1#post1016422

============================================

Microsoft Admits Windows 10 Automatic Spying Cannot Be Stopped

By David Icke on 4th November 2015

TechThe Little Black Book of Billionaire Secrets
    Nov 2, 2015 @ 12:00 PM 410,352 views

Microsoft Admits Windows 10 Automatic Spying Cannot Be Stopped

‘Last week changes to the Windows 10 upgrade path mean it is going to
    become increasingly difficult for any non-techy users to avoid being
    pushed to Microsoft MSFT +1.85%’s new operating system. But given
    Windows 10 is better than Windows 7 and Windows 8, why would that
    be a problem? Because of policies like this…

Speaking to PC World, Microsoft Corporate Vice President Joe Belfiore
    explained that Windows 10 is constantly tracking how it operates and
    how you are using it and sending that information back to Microsoft by
    default. More importantly he also confirmed that, despite offering some
    options to turn elements of tracking off, core data collection simply
    cannot be stopped:’

Read more: Microsoft Admits Windows 10 Automatic Spying Cannot Be Stopped

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke...hootix&ref=yfp

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

Gaia (4th November 2015), Lost N Found (4th November 2015)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 3 12 LastLast