+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 5 12 LastLast

Thread: Katherine Albrecht: Windows 10 Is Full Blown Electronic Tyranny

1. Link to Post #81
    United States Avalon Member mojo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,439 times in 5,646 posts

Default Re: Katherine Albrecht: Windows 10 Is Full Blown Electronic Tyranny

I'm currently in the process of building a system. I purchased a windows 7cd operating system for when the project is complete. Now hearing about the devious way Microsoft is pushing windows 10 I'm beginning to wonder if I should go to a Linux system. In another thread I made a member suggested that there might be problems with Linux and the build. It seems nothing is perfect to choose for OS. But, now I'm leaning more to Linux because of Microsoft spying and forcing what to use.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mojo For This Post:

bluestflame (31st May 2016), justntime2learn (4th February 2016)

3. Link to Post #82
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 times in 784 posts

It is a little bit more involved but I found this guide usefull!

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-block-w...not-1730024570

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CurEus For This Post:

Calz (4th February 2016), justntime2learn (4th February 2016), Richard S. (4th February 2016), seah (30th March 2016)

5. Link to Post #83
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,308 times in 437 posts

Quote Posted by CurEus (here)
    It is a little bit more involved but I found this guide usefull!

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-block-w...not-1730024570
    Even sweeter!

6. Link to Post #84
    Canada Avalon Member Richard S.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,058 times in 309 posts

Fair enough, although, I did just one or two that were heavily into it, pop-ups and all. I remember removing some instances of other updates.

So far, when I do remove the main update for it, everything else disappears, I see no other updates "prepping" for it.

Quote Posted by Caliban (here)
    Quote Posted by Lovespot (here)
    Nope, KB3035583 is the base for it.

Remember some of the first ones I did that were pretty immersed into the updates, and up to the point where pop-ups would appear for Windows 10.

That's when I blew my top, and decided to get rid of it once and for all.
    Looked it up, and it all starts with KB3035583. Once removed, Windows 10 is gone.

Although, I wouldn't be surprised you may have to backtrack some of them to get back to the point where you just get the little flag on the system tray, to finally get rid of KB3035583, and hide it thereafter...

Quote Posted by Caliban (here)
    Since I removed KB3035583, haven't been bothered...

What about when you go to download the updates? You don't see all the ones that prep. the system for Windows 10
    I don't think you're getting me. I already removed that KB3035583. I don't get that thing at the system tray that tells me W10 is downloading. What I mean is when you go to update your system and a list comes up. I'm seeing a bunch of updates (not 3035583) that have to do with "prepping" your current OS to switch to 10. I hide those and download security and Win. Defender updates. Voila.
    Last edited by Hervé; 4th February 2016 at 13:19. Reason: Fixed nested quotes

7. Link to Post #85
    United States Avalon Member conk's Avatar
    Language
    Southern English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,145 times in 2,998 posts

I heard Bill Gates was trying to sell a laptop with a built in syringe. You don't even have to go out to get your vaccines.
    The quantum field responds not to what we want; but to who we are being. Dr. Joe Dispenza

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to conk For This Post:

justntime2learn (4th February 2016), KiwiElf (7th June 2016)

9. Link to Post #86
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,520 times in 5,690 posts

Another solution here:

How to Stop Windows 7 or 8 from Downloading Windows 10 Automatically

http://www.howtogeek.com/228551/how-...automatically/

10. Link to Post #87
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,445 times in 21,493 posts

Steve Gibson, of grc.com, recommends using the GWX Control Panel to control Microsoft's persistent efforts to upgrade your Windows system to Windows 10.
    Last edited by ThePythonicCow; 6th February 2016 at 02:44.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

bluestflame (31st May 2016), Calz (6th February 2016), Carmody (30th May 2016), justntime2learn (29th May 2016), KiwiElf (6th February 2016), mojo (6th February 2016), Sierra (29th March 2016)

12. Link to Post #88
    Thanks

Paul what are your thoughts about spybot anti-beacon? A youtube video recommends it as it does remove things like telemetry loading from windows 10.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mojo For This Post:

justntime2learn (29th May 2016), Michelle Marie (30th May 2016)

14. Link to Post #89
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by mojo (here)
    Paul what are your thoughts about spybot anti-beacon? A youtube video recommends it as it does remove things like telemetry loading from windows 10.
    I don't have a clue .

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

justntime2learn (29th May 2016), Michelle Marie (30th May 2016), mojo (6th February 2016)

16. Link to Post #90
    Canada Avalon Member Richard S.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,058 times in 309 posts

Seems okay, but I am all-ways weary of installing additional apps to control what I want Windows to do. I prefer to research it, and get it done manually, helps in the comprehension aspect.

Not for the novice users, as some level of understanding and technique is required, that's when these third-party add ons are helpful...

Quote Posted by Paul (here)
    Steve Gibson, of grc.com, recommends using the GWX Control Panel to control Microsoft's persistent efforts to upgrade your Windows system to Windows 10.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Richard S. For This Post:

Michelle Marie (30th May 2016), mojo (6th February 2016), ThePythonicCow (6th February 2016)

18. Link to Post #91
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,127 times in 560 posts

Quote Posted by KiwiElf (here)
    Another solution here:

Thank you soooo much. I have windows 7 and want to keep it and I was worried about "how not to get windows 10"

very simple for a electronically challenged person such as myself.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 3(C)+me For This Post:

Johnny (30th May 2016), KiwiElf (29th May 2016), Michelle Marie (30th May 2016), mojo (8th February 2016)

20. Link to Post #92
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Seems okay, but I am all-ways weary of installing additional apps to control what I want Windows to do. I prefer to research it, and get it done manually, helps in the comprehension aspect.

Not for the novice users, as some level of understanding and technique is required, that's when these third-party add ons are helpful...

Quote Posted by Paul (here)
    Quote Posted by cccme (here)
    Quote Posted by KiwiElf (here)
    Another solution here:

Thank you soooo much. I have windows 7 and want to keep it and I was worried about "how not to get windows 10"

very simple for a electronically challenged person such as myself.
    That HowToGeek.com link is to an article from Sept 2015.

Unfortunately, Microsoft keeps changing what it does to get Windows 10 installed, as it works around or disables the various methods people are reporting.

That's one advantage of the GWX Control Panel that Gibson recommended ... it has been updated several times since then, to adapt to Microsoft's changes.

21. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Calz (8th February 2016), Hervé (8th February 2016), Johnny (30th May 2016), KiwiElf (30th May 2016), Michelle Marie (30th May 2016), mojo (8th February 2016), Sierra (29th March 2016)

22. Link to Post #93
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,308 times in 437 posts

"Back in November Microsoft confirmed Windows 10’s worst kept secret: its extensive telemetry (or ‘spying’ as it has been labelled) cannot be stopped. What no-one realised until now, however, is just how staggering the extent of this tracking really is…"

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke...x#37d8a2017aa9

23. Link to Post #94
    Thanks

I think it can be stopped and mentioned it your other thread. Spybot ant-beacon. Check it out, tell us if it as good as it sounds...

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mojo For This Post:

drneglector (11th February 2016), justntime2learn (12th February 2016), Mercedes (11th February 2016)

25. Link to Post #95
    Norway Senior Administrator Tommy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,574 times in 371 posts

Just read an article on this subject earlier today. Seems this buzz is somewhat inaccurate or at least blown somewhat out of proportion.

Quote While the data from the Voat post has since been deleted, Gordon Kelly claims that Microsoft has responded to his article and has decided to release updates “later this year” which will enable users to fully control all background telemetry and data tracking. Here’s what Kelly wrote:
    Quote Contacting me again a Microsoft spokesperson explained the company now wanted to speak about the issue. In short: Microsoft is taking action. It has decided to release updates “later this year” which will enable users to fully control all background telemetry and data tracking and, if desired, disable it completely. Microsoft also asked me to stress that disabling these background operations is something it would “strongly recommend against.
    also:

Quote Microsoft however has made no announcements about any changes to consumer editions of Windows 10, even upcoming ones, and Kelly’s most recent statements appear to be inaccurate or misguided, or both.

An Ed Bott post on ZDNet questioned the original data Gordon used, claiming that amongst other basic networking things, the data from the Voat “investigation” shows Windows is just trying to make a simple connection using its IPv6 capabilities, or checking the time, etc.
    Like I have said before; If they want to spy on you they will spy on you. It does not matter what OS you are using.. Well perhaps if you are completely offline, but then again, there are other ways..

Source:
    http://www.winbeta.org/news/reports-...ies-inaccurate

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tommy For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (11th February 2016), Mercedes (11th February 2016)

27. Link to Post #96
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,445 times in 8,541 posts

Also note that non-essential patches have been "silently" applied to windows 7 that do much of the same new tracking we see in windows 10. I ended up removing some of these updates from my system - I think four altogether. Interested users can google or search youtube for info.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

mojo (12th February 2016), Tommy (12th February 2016)

29. Link to Post #97
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 95,891 times in 15,481 posts

Quote Posted by DeDukshyn (here)
    Also note that non-essential patches have been "silently" applied to windows 7 that do much of the same new tracking we see in windows 10. I ended up removing some of these updates from my system - I think four altogether. Interested users can google or search youtube for info.
    This thread could be a good start: Microsoft intensifies data collection on Windows 7 and 8 systems
    "La réalité est un rêve que l'on fait atterrir" San Antonio AKA F. Dard

Troll-hood motto: Never, ever, however, whatsoever, to anyone, a point concede.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

DeDukshyn (12th February 2016), mojo (12th February 2016)

31. Link to Post #98
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 times in 699 posts

Hello Everyone:
    Here's an easy way to not get windows 10 on your computer.
    Good luck.
    chancy

Link:
    https://ca.news.yahoo.com/don-t-want...131539843.html

Article:
    Don’t want anything to do with Windows 10? Here’s how to banish it for good
    Justin Pot
    Digital Trends
    March 19, 2016

Windows 7 and 8 users know all about Windows 10. They’ve probably seen an icon advertising the new operating system in their system tray for more than half a year, and put up with more than a few pop-up ads asking them to install the free upgrade. If you have Windows Update enabled, the install files are likely already on your computer, and there have even been reports of Windows 10 installing without any authorization from users whatsoever. Isn’t there some way to outright stop Windows 10 from installing on your machine? And moreover, to make that icon and the pop-ups, just disappear? As it turns out, there is.

Windows 10 is a free upgrade for users of Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 users, and we recommended it. At the same time, we know not everyone wants the latest system from Microsoft, for a variety of reasons. Maybe you depend on software that’s not supported, or maybe you just don’t want to switch operating systems right now. Here are two ways to make sure this doesn’t happen.
    The easy way: Install GWX Control Panel, then click some buttons

The simplest way to make sure you won’t accidentally end up with Windows 10 is a program called GWX Control Panel. You can download it free from the Ultimate Outsider website. There’s an install file, and a portable instance of the application.

Related: Windows 10 coming to devices with 7, 8, 8.1, RT

Once downloaded, open the program and you’ll see an overview of various Windows 10-related settings on your computer, along with a number of features that help “protect” you from Microsoft’s free OS upgrade.

This can be intimidating at first glance, but don’t panic. The top boxes show you which upgrade-centric features are currently enabled on your computer, and the Status and settings summary box sums it all up in plain English. The buttons at the bottom of the application are where the real action is, though. These let you stop Windows 10 from installing. Let’s go through these buttons, explaining what they do.

The Disable ‘Get Windows 10’ App button will disable the tray icon that keeps “reminding” you about the Free Windows 10 upgrade, as well as the periodic pop-ups.

The Prevent Windows 10 Upgrades button will stop any and all Windows Updates related to Windows 10, and stop the “Upgrade to Windows 10” message from being prominently placed in Windows Update.

The Delete Windows 10 Download Folders button will delete the parts of Windows 10 already downloaded to your system, if they’re there.

The Delete Windows 10 Programs button will remove programs on your computer designed to get your system ready for Windows 10 upgrades.

The Change Windows Update Settings button opens up a new window, where you can stop Windows Update from automatically installing new updates. You probably don’t need to do this to stop Windows 10 from installing, and it could be a security risk if you forget to install patches, but some users might want to be sure.

The Click to Clear Windows Update Cache button will clear out lingering download information that may or may not be related to Windows 10.

The Enable Monitor Mode button will set GWX Control Panel to run in the background of your computer, with an icon on the system tray. From here, it can let you know if anything related to Windows 10 is changed on your system.

If you’re feeling overwhelmed, don’t panic. Just click the Disable ‘Get Windows 10’ App and the Prevent Windows 10 Upgrades buttons and you should be covered. For a little extra protection, click Enable Monitor Mode and you’ll be warned if anything changes. The rest of the buttons might be overkill, but worth using if you’re extremely worried about Windows 10 showing up.
    The hard way: Toggle Windows Update yourself, then watch it closely

If you’d rather not rely on a third-party application to stop Windows 10 from installing, you could become hyper-vigilant instead. Head to the Control Panel, then System and Security, then Turn automatic updating on or off.

32. The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to chancy For This Post:

Bluegreen (20th March 2016), christian (21st March 2016), Deega (20th March 2016), Dennis Leahy (20th March 2016), drneglector (21st March 2016), Foxie Loxie (20th March 2016), joeecho (20th March 2016), justntime2learn (20th March 2016), KiwiElf (21st March 2016), Lancelot (21st March 2016), Lifebringer (20th March 2016), ljwheat (21st March 2016), Magneticman (20th March 2016), markoid (20th March 2016), Michael Moewes (20th March 2016), mojo (20th March 2016), mosquito (22nd March 2016), Nasu (20th March 2016), onawah (20th March 2016), phillipbbg (23rd March 2016), raregem (20th March 2016), Sierra (20th March 2016), TraineeHuman (20th March 2016)

33. Link to Post #99
    Spain Avalon Member Michael Moewes's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,910 times in 372 posts

Very easy to use, actually.
    Thanks a lot for sharing.
    I've put it into action already.

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Michael Moewes For This Post:

joeecho (20th March 2016), mojo (20th March 2016), Nasu (20th March 2016), Sierra (20th March 2016)

35. Link to Post #100
    Thanks

I hope spybot ant-beacon will stop windows 10 as well. It does a great job of stopping telemetry going to microsft.

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mojo For This Post:

joeecho (20th March 2016), KiwiElf (21st March 2016), Nasu (20th March 2016), Sierra (20th March 2016)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 5 12 LastLast