+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 7 12 LastLast

Thread: Katherine Albrecht: Windows 10 Is Full Blown Electronic Tyranny

1. Link to Post #121
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,520 times in 5,690 posts

Default Re: Katherine Albrecht: Windows 10 Is Full Blown Electronic Tyranny

@ Michelle Marie - When you buy a Mac with an Intel Chip - ie any Mac made in the last 5+ years, you can partition your hard drive and activate Bootcamp, a utility which comes with every Intel Mac. This allows you to install your preferred version of Windows (there are still a few new copies of Windows 7 available out there) on the partition, effectively giving you both Mac & PC platforms in one box for considerably less than buying 2 x separate computers. (I'd recommend you have 2 Hard Drives installed - one for back-up)

I've used both platforms - Mac & PC - for a long time and still do. But I'll continue using the PC with Windows XP (or Windows 7/Bootcamp on the MacBook, with Windows Updates permanently turned OFF (and above utilities installed with a good AntiVirus Program).

Yep - the Mac is still my favourite!
    Last edited by KiwiElf; 30th May 2016 at 02:52.

2. Link to Post #122
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 times in 625 posts

I do not know Mac, but I know Linux: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...n-a-PC-with-W/ (remember to push the 'next' button ! or 'view all steps'.)

I do not like Ubuntu with Unity (Unity is what you see at the screen, the desktop) (Sorry Chris ) I like the Cinnamon desktop. Try Linux Mint 17.3, but there will be an Linux mint 18 out in june.

Johnny
    Last edited by Johnny; 30th May 2016 at 03:15.
    There would be no life here on Earth without YOU, at least not as YOU know it. /Johnny

The fact that I pressed the thanks button is not necessarily because I agree with you, but more so that I can see the threads I follow, that I have read your post.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Johnny For This Post:

greybeard (30th May 2016), KiwiElf (30th May 2016), TrumanCash (30th May 2016)

4. Link to Post #123
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,863 times in 11,839 posts

Quote Posted by Johnny (here)
    I do not know Mac, but I know Linux: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...n-a-PC-with-W/ (remember to push the 'next' button ! or 'view all steps'.)

I do not like Ubuntu with Unity (Unity is what you see at the screen, the desktop) (Sorry Chris ) I like the Cinnamon desktop. Try Linux Mint 17.3, but there will be an Linux mint 18 out in june.

Johnny
    Thanks for this info.
    Im downloading the Cinnamon 17.3 to try.
    You can run it from a DVD and keep Windows till you are shure you want to keep it then operate either in partitions or opt to go completely for Cinnamon (Ubuntu)

Chris
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Johnny (30th May 2016)

6. Link to Post #124
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 times in 625 posts

Quote Posted by greybeard (here)
    You can run it from a DVD and keep Windows till you are shure you want to keep it then operate either in partitions or opt to go completely for Cinnamon (Ubuntu)

Chris
    It will be much faster with an USB- stick.

For the newbees: you can use 'rufus' to make an iso file when you have downloaded the Linux 'standard-model' you want . Google: Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way. And also use the option you have just before

the installation of Linux, to check the input.

Just to clarify, Linux mint 17.03 is based on Ubuntu (if I remember correct Ubuntu 12.04), but one have various options for the desktop part, Linux Mint 18 is based on Ubuntu 16.04. (year 16 month 4)

And for the newbees again: Linux is a mess, because there are so many options (try to Google ' Linux timeline' It is like buying a new car,
    what brand of car you want ?,
    what model do you want ?,
    what kind of gearbox do you want ?,
    diesel or gasoline ?,
    do you want the side mirrors to fold in when you park ?
    what color do you want ? etc. etc. (but often many parts of the cars are the same brand)

BUT Linux is FREE !!!

Johnny
    Last edited by Johnny; 30th May 2016 at 11:40.
    There would be no life here on Earth without YOU, at least not as YOU know it. /Johnny

The fact that I pressed the thanks button is not necessarily because I agree with you, but more so that I can see the threads I follow, that I have read your post.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Johnny For This Post:

greybeard (30th May 2016), Hervé (30th May 2016), KiwiElf (30th May 2016), TrumanCash (30th May 2016)

8. Link to Post #125
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 95,898 times in 15,481 posts

Quote Posted by Johnny (here)
    [...]
    It will be much faster with an USB- stick.
    [...]
    For those interested in concocting their own, multi-boot, versatile, USB repair/start-up stick: http://www.easy2boot.com/
    "La réalité est un rêve que l'on fait atterrir" San Antonio AKA F. Dard

Troll-hood motto: Never, ever, however, whatsoever, to anyone, a point concede.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

Bob (30th May 2016), greybeard (30th May 2016), Johnny (30th May 2016), KiwiElf (30th May 2016), Richard S. (30th May 2016), TrumanCash (30th May 2016)

10. Link to Post #126
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,170 times in 1,747 posts

Quote Posted by ZooLife (here)
    I wonder what spin Microsoft offers for this change in their business model. It doesn't add up IMO.
    Let me give you an insight into how this came to be. Apple made a sinister move against Microsoft, they made their Operating System (OSX) a while ago completely for free for everyone, well knowing that this would hit Microsoft very hard since Microsoft made most of their money with their OS (Windows). Now you had two really good operating systems, one for free the and the other costs money. Which one do you choose? Microsoft had to react to this. That´s why Microsoft made the Update to Windows 10 for free for all. It was a reaction not an action.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to uzn For This Post:

Johnny (31st May 2016), KiwiElf (30th May 2016), PathWalker (30th May 2016), ZooLife (31st May 2016)

12. Link to Post #127
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by uzn (here)
    Quote Posted by ZooLife (here)
    I wonder what spin Microsoft offers for this change in their business model. It doesn't add up IMO.
    Let me give you an insight into how this came to be. Apple made a sinister move against Microsoft, they made their Operating System (OSX) a while ago completely for free for everyone, well knowing that this would hit Microsoft very hard since Microsoft made most of their money with their OS (Windows). Now you had two really good operating systems, one for free the and the other costs money. Which one do you choose? Microsoft had to react to this. That´s why Microsoft made the Update to Windows 10 for free for all. It was a reaction not an action.
    I don't really want to get into an Apple versus Windows argument here but that's really not very accurate nor an "insight": Mac's OS has been free for as long as I can remember (as since 1984?, as were their system upgrades) and considering how few Macs there were/are compared to Windows operated PC's (ie Mac at less than 4 % of the market at the time and not much bigger now at barely 7% compared to Windows @ over 86% - "Other" OS's are about 7%. Windows 7 still has almost 50% of the OS market at this time), it was and is not really much of a threat. Nor was (or ever has) there been a Mac OS that has been forced on Mac users without their knowledge (or sneakily installed behind their backs).

The computers themselves were a different story. Macs were originally considered "prohibitively expensive" (almost twice the price for an original Mac SE in 1986), compared to a "PC" running windows and are still a premium price today. But in all fairness, I'd say you do get what you pay for (and most Macs have been relatively trouble free since their inception).

One of the most understated advantages of a Mac is their quality and longevity. Many PC's are made from inferior components (hence their "cheap price") and in the end, they could cost you more. I've had one Mac outlast 3 PC's and still going strong (it's 15 years old btw!). We're comparing Porsches vs Fords here. Windows vs the Mac OS is pretty comparable there too. Anyone who knows Microsh*t's history knows that DOS was an "incomplete" OS. They just kept piling the problems on top of the problems (and they've NEVER fixed it. Windows is literally a pile of dung). The Mac just plugs in and goes, no problems.

Likewise the choice of software applications for a Mac is still very small compared to what's available for Windows, (but games aside, how many word processors do you need? ). Everything the "typical user" of a computer needs is more than amply available for a Mac, and then some. Keep in mind that anything brilliant on your computer was largely pioneered on a Mac first. Windows at best, was a crappy copy. Sometimes, it worked.

So what were you saying about "sinister moves"????

https://www.netmarketshare.com/opera...10&qpcustomd=0
    Last edited by KiwiElf; 7th June 2016 at 10:24.

13. Link to Post #128
    Thanks

I meant giving out the OSX even if you did not buy a Mac/Macbook.
    Most modern people have Macbooks nowadays. Most young people have duadboot Macbooks, with OSX and Windows on them. PC sales are dropping since several years now. Maybe your numbers are a bit old. I also work at a University and have hundreds of young Students infront of me, so I see stuff quite clear and I see what gear they prefer.

I am a professional, I use Mac´s and PC´s. Just to give you an example, the guys from Pixar came to our University some months back to present their latest work and promote Renderman. And guess what they all had Macbooks with them to work on and to use for their presentation.

Kiwielf you said:
    Likewise the choice of software applications for a Mac is still very small compared to what's available for Windows.

What? All the professional Software (Design, Production, 2D, 3D) is available on OSX, even some really cool stuff you don´t get on the PC. Even AutoCAD is now available on OSX, the program our World is build with (Bridges, Skyscrapers, etc.)Of course there are some small programs you don´t have on the Mac, but not much. Check the Macstore and have a look.
    Last edited by uzn; 30th May 2016 at 17:07.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to uzn For This Post:

Johnny (31st May 2016), KiwiElf (30th May 2016), ZooLife (31st May 2016)

15. Link to Post #129
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks

I meant giving out the OSX even if you did not buy a Mac/Macbook.
    Most modern people have Macbooks nowadays. Most young people have duadboot Macbooks, with OSX and Windows on them. PC sales are dropping since several years now. Maybe your numbers are a bit old. I also work at a University and have hundreds of young Students infront of me, so I see stuff quite clear and I see what gear they prefer.
    Ummm did you check out the link in the above post UZN? Clearly most people do NOT have MacBooks. Mac have always been heavily supportive of the education sector but that depends what subjects you teach. I fail to see why anyone would want the Mac OS if they didn't have a Mac to run it on? The link I provided is fairly up-to-date (April 2016) Nor are classrooms of students representative of all demographics.

The University I worked for was very PC biased, I was one of only a handful of lecturers who used a Mac as my area was and is graphic design/advertising. Their networked PC's were hopeless for the task. It's true that the graphics side of computer use is largely Mac driven (approx 80%) but less so today.

Biggest is not always best, at least, as far as Windows is concerned
    Last edited by KiwiElf; 7th June 2016 at 11:12.

16. Link to Post #130
    Thanks

I think you are more right than me. I had a look at the statistic, horrifying that so many still use Windows XP and 7. Thats like sailing with a ship full of holes.

What I wrote above why Mircosoft made the Update free was Microsoft internal explanation for it. Can be that the real reason was something completely different.

But one could install OSX on a PC now. But I have not heard of anyone who actually did this.
    Last edited by uzn; 30th May 2016 at 17:40.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to uzn For This Post:

Johnny (31st May 2016), KiwiElf (30th May 2016)

18. Link to Post #131
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Well, you're talking to a fellow uni lecturer and dedicated Mac User (since 1984!) who teaches graphics - the use of Macs by our students in our industries is definitely favourable toward Macs (always has been) .

For "the rest of the world," (ie software that is not graphic, movie or music-based), that isn't the case. Yeah, spreadsheets work just as well on a Mac as they do on Windows. But that's a bit of the sheep mentality for you. Most people don't like change.

(The arguments I had with the clods and bean counters in the computer department who made the decisions on what computers to buy! "Macs were too expensive ra ra ra." was the biggest reason...) Yes,... and PC's weren't up to running the graphic software that you and I are used to, (especially on a network!), nor did the "arty" graphic-oriented businesses out there in the fields we represent use Windows - the bean counters just couldn't understand that simple fact . Imagine every time you clicked on an InDesign or PhotoShop Page your whole PC window went blank for a minute while the PC/network tried to catch up!). Forget 3-D! And in fairness, Macs on a network weren't too crash hot either!
    Despite my demonstrating that Macs could read most Windows-based documents that we all used, they just would not be convinced.

I gave up! I may as well been talking to a brick wall.

The truth was, they (the computer buyers & IT for the University) were bought up on PC's/Windows, they didn't have a clue what to do with Macs, and "cheapest is best". They were scared of what they didn't understand and they weren't even prepared to look. Change was HARD. Glad to see it IS changing.

The main reason people prefer Macs was/is their ease of use, quality, reliability, they're faster and as you well know - they do the "arty" side brilliantly. They rarely get viruses (they can get viruses, contrary to popular myth, but not very serious), and nor did or do they need the number of updates that Windows used to need. In other words, the Mac was quite a painless and pleasurable way to go for most users. (It's also true that you may be unlucky enough to buy a dud - even Apple make a few "Monday Macs").

(I used to say, Mac = Porsche, Windows = Truck... with racing stripes and mag wheels pretending to be a "sports car") - and you generally DID get what you paid for. Mac were the innovators and Windows was a poor, clunky copy.

But also as a fellow gamer, you'll appreciate there are far more choices out there for PC's. That's why I use both. (The only reason I bought a PC myself was to use Microsoft Flight Simulator and other games that weren't so available on the Mac pre Intel Macs). When this PC dies, it'll be replaced with another Mac dual/boot

The biggie?... If you like to tinker on a computers innards and workings, then a Mac was/is pretty much a closed box. The tinkerers prefer PC's.

Yes, Mac are definitely catching up, and deservedly so, but Apple's real success was with the iPod, iTunes and iPhones. Those users started taking a look at the Mac OS as well, and hey, they could get two (OS's in one box) for a bit more than the price of one (dual-boot) and all of the other "good stuff" they were used to. You've got a whole new generation of computer users and the younger ones are seeing things a whole lot differently (thank god!)

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Ummmm not sure about Mac OS on a PC - the internal hardware and firmware is a bit different. I have yet to see Mac OS running on a PC. Oddly enough, Macs were able to simulate Windows with software even before they became Intel based.
    Mac don't advertise the Bootcamp aspect even now... they want you to buy a Mac to use Mac software
    Last edited by KiwiElf; 30th May 2016 at 18:45.

19. Link to Post #132
    Thanks

Wow Kiwielf, couldn´t have said it better
    And sure if you want to play games on a computer than the Mac feels like a dried out desert. But nowadays I mostly play on Consoles, not on PC. It´s so much easier and always works

Update:
    I have high hopes for the Surfacebook, this could be the first real alternative for a Macbook.
    Last edited by uzn; 30th May 2016 at 18:58.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to uzn For This Post:

Johnny (31st May 2016), KiwiElf (30th May 2016)

21. Link to Post #133
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks

I have high hopes for the Surfacebook, this could be the first real alternative for a Macbook.
    Please tell us more!

22. Link to Post #134
    Thanks

Just got it, feels amazing. All touch by fingers with a really good pressure-sensitive pen. 3000x2000 pixels native, GeeForce. You can take off the screen and its basically an iPad. You can attach the Screen 180 degrees around and its a Sandwich-iPad on steroids. Something like this I would have expected from apple. And since the Hardware is really optimized for Win10 it´s all running very smoothly. One thing that bugs me a bit is that the Pen only has 2 main Buttons, so the middle-mouse-button is missing. For the 2D Apps like Photoshop that ok, but the 3D Programs use the Middle-mouse-button quite heavily.
    I hope I don´t go offtopic to much here.
    Last edited by uzn; 30th May 2016 at 21:20.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to uzn For This Post:

Johnny (31st May 2016), KiwiElf (31st May 2016)

24. Link to Post #135
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,644 times in 21,530 posts

Quote Posted by TrumanCash (here)
    Bill Gates is now forcing Windows 10 on Window 7 users!
    I recommend you download and run Steve Gibson's Never 10.

Until a couple weeks ago, clicking the [x] in the upper right corner of those Windows 10 upgrade screens was sufficient to stop the install, at least for a while.

But Microsoft changed that behavior, without changing the wording of the screen ... now apparently there is some nearly hidden link within the text that lets you click to some other screen(s) where you can delay the install for a while longer. But just closing the unwelcome upgrade notification Window is taken as a final consent and invitation to commence the upgrade soon thereafter. ... disgusting.

If you use Steve Gibson's "Never 10," then Windows 10 should be banished for the forseeable future from your PC, until you choose to rerun "Never 10" and open the door for Windows 10.

The Borg's obnoxious pushing of Windows 10 upgrades has been a major source of disgust in the geek community since late 2015.

The other most popular tool to keep stop Windows 10 upgrades is the GWX Control Panel. This, and Never 10, are compared in this article: Steve Gibson's Never10 vs. Josh Mayfield's GWX Control Panel.

As I noticed early this year 2016, in Post #21, above, Steve Gibson had been recommending GWX himself, when GWX was the best game in town, before Steve came out with his own Never10.
    Last edited by ThePythonicCow; 31st May 2016 at 01:28.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

25. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

3(C)+me (31st May 2016), bluestflame (31st May 2016), greybeard (31st May 2016), Hervé (31st May 2016), Johnny (31st May 2016), KiwiElf (31st May 2016), Limor Wolf (1st June 2016), Mark (Star Mariner) (31st May 2016), PathWalker (31st May 2016), sandy (31st May 2016), thunder24 (31st May 2016), TrumanCash (31st May 2016), ulli (31st May 2016), uzn (31st May 2016)

26. Link to Post #136
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,863 times in 11,839 posts

AND another thing LOL

I did a Windows 10 recovery on a USB stick
    When I inserted this into the laptop with UBUNTU to re format it, to re use---its presence was not even recognized
    I had to insert it into an old Windows PC we have--recognized there and reformatted, but!!! still not recognized in UBUNTU--I changed the title of the stick which was still showing Recovery after formating---then finally it is usable in UBUNTU .

I hope this is helpful.

Really I dont get why Windows 10 was released with so many errors.

Chris
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

28. Link to Post #137
    Australia Avalon Member bluestflame's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,500 times in 1,808 posts

a multi billion dollar company bends over backwards to get people installing a free full version of thier latest operating system , those that for whatever reason, after a certain undefined time period have not chosen to install/upgrade, will have it stealthily installed without thier permission

i would have thought that this would be ringing alarm bells for a lot more people than it seems to have other than the normal buzz of irate online venting at the bugs of each new OS

as i read elsewhere in the early saga EVEN to people with illegal copies of previous versions of windows

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluestflame For This Post:

30. Link to Post #138
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks

I'm amazed Microsoft didn't include a free syringe with Windows 10 so we could vaccinate ourselves as well! . (Steve Jobs must be having the last laugh!)
    I'll stick to Macs
    Last edited by KiwiElf; 31st May 2016 at 12:35.

31. Link to Post #139
    Administrator Mark (Star Mariner)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,712 times in 4,337 posts

Quote Posted by Paul (here)
    The other most popular tool to keep stop Windows 10 upgrades is the GWX Control Panel. This, and Never 10, are compared in this article: Steve Gibson's Never10 vs. Josh Mayfield's GWX Control Panel.

As I noticed early this year 2016, in Post #21, above, Steve Gibson had been recommending GWX himself, when GWX was the best game in town, before Steve came out with his own Never10.
    Aweome Paul, appreciate the link, many thanks. Exactly what I've been looking for.

My only fear is Microsoft will try to stealth some bypass of Never10 and GWX in a future update.
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

bluestflame (31st May 2016), Johnny (31st May 2016), KiwiElf (31st May 2016)

33. Link to Post #140
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,319 times in 10,234 posts

windows 10 is hardcore spyware, and gates is a hardcore globalist.

This is very destructive for a multi-billion dollar corporation; the real reasoning behind it appears to be slightly out of our sight.

Confusion abounds, anger abounds.......for reasons we cannot truly see or fathom.

We can decide and create a reason based on our given individual level of perception (which we are all individually doing), but note that it does not fit the reality of what a major global corporation should be doing, at all.

No matter what our reasoning, it makes no sense. At all.

Perceived Black, is truly white, in this enforced upgrade into known universal (single platform) spyware.

A blatant attempt to net as many people as possible into being on the same observational spyware platform.

Whence does this corporate and legal/litigation insanity arise from..... and where is it going?

These things tend to tie together.
    Last edited by Carmody; 31st May 2016 at 13:20.
    Interdimensional Civil Servant

34. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Carmody For This Post:

bluestflame (31st May 2016), Johnny (31st May 2016), KiwiElf (31st May 2016), ThePythonicCow (31st May 2016), uzn (31st May 2016)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 7 12 LastLast