+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Homeland Security shuts down dozens of Web sites without court order

1. Link to Post #21
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,422 times in 3,394 posts

Default Re: Homeland Security shuts down dozens of Web sites without court order

wow , thanks for this update Observer.

I have been noticing changes also on Youtube, you have to log into your account to share videos now or to save them ( via a third party add-on).

Not sure how to save Google video though.

I did hear from someone that you can find the file manually in your cache,

but i'm no tech expert, someone else might be able to assist you with that task.

There might be a Google vid add- on for your browser , there are many in Firefox for saving Youtube
    The greatest privilege of a human life is to become a
    midwife to the awakening of the Soul in another person.”
    ~ Plato

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to astrid For This Post:

Michelle Marie (26th February 2018), observer (19th April 2011)

3. Link to Post #22
    Thanks
    Thanked 56,364 times in 8,335 posts

Default Re: Homeland Security shuts down dozens of Web sites without court order

Quote Posted by observer (here)
    Quote Posted by astrid (here)
    http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2010/11/h...-dozens-sites/

Quote The Homeland Security Department's customs enforcement division has gone on a Web site shutdown spree, closing down at least 76 domains this week, according to online reports.

While many of the web domains were sites that trafficked in counterfeit brand name goods, and some others linked to copyright-infringing file-sharing materials, at least one site was a Google-like search engine, causing alarm among web freedom advocates who worry the move steps over the line into censorship.
    Google Video will no longer play-back anything you may have saved on that site after April 29, 2011. It looks like Google Video is shutting-down.

Quote This is a quote from their site, here: http://video.google.com/support/bin/...=1233300&hl=en
    "Uploaded video content no longer available -
    On April 29, 2011 videos that have been uploaded to Google Video will no longer be available for playback. We've added a Download button to the Video Status page, so you can download videos that you want to save. If you don’t want to download your videos, you don’t need to do anything. (The Download feature will be disabled after May 13, 2011.)"
    Could this be the latest step in this drawn-out agenda, astrid?

This is devastating news to me. I have hundreds of google videos saved in a library. I still haven't figured-out how to make them into DVDs.
    Get Orbit Downloader: http://www.orbitdownloader.com/download.htm

and get busy!

Orbit downloader works very well but it's a bit annoying when you just want to watch things because it pops up and asks you if you want to download what your watching.

I'd recommend using it to download all your videos over a week or so and then uninstall it again.

edit to add: IT's FREE !

4. The Following User Says Thank You to norman For This Post:

Michelle Marie (26th February 2018)

5. Link to Post #23
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,544 times in 2,615 posts

Homeland security is scheduled for budget cuts... maybe this is their retaliation.

Glad my health website is hosted in Singapore, there I only have to worry about what the Chinese think about what I post

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arrowwind For This Post:

Lord Sidious (20th April 2011), Michelle Marie (26th February 2018)

7. Link to Post #24
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,536 times in 642 posts

This effort may end up being more useful than originally intended. It's designed by a group who want to make an election issue of the current practice in Canada of internet metering by the 2 top ISP's that then charge exorbitant usage fees, but with support and encouragement they could be postioned to speak out against illegal (ie. no court order) seizure of sites.

http://votenet.ca/

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TWINCANS For This Post:

9. Link to Post #25
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,308 times in 7,756 posts

I've done some research and looks like every site was offering "Pay per view" type do not copy FBI warning material, freely on the sites that were shut down...

If they are asking China to do the same it had to start somewhere.

10. Link to Post #26
    Thanks

Fair enough but we live within the rule of law. Proper legal channels must be followed and as far as we have been told, they rode on in like a bunch of cowboys and lynched 'em. Tsk tsk.

By the way I understand that this approach appears quaint and unaware. It's not. Clear agreements work best, no matter if it's between people, communities, countries, or any sovereign spark of consciousness and another. (Although all agreements are open to change at a moment's notice)
    Last edited by TWINCANS; 20th April 2011 at 01:24.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TWINCANS For This Post:

12. Link to Post #27
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,320 times in 10,234 posts

Quote Posted by TWINCANS (here)
    This effort may end up being more useful than originally intended. It's designed by a group who want to make an election issue of the current practice in Canada of internet metering by the 2 top ISP's that then charge exorbitant usage fees, but with support and encouragement they could be postioned to speak out against illegal (ie. no court order) seizure of sites.

http://votenet.ca/
    i would like to make an election issue out of gas prices.

Gas costs no more than 75 cents per liter.

This means the rest is profit.

It is messing up the country's economy, capacity to operate on the rudimentary and basic levels and also messing with it's global viability.

Ergo, nationalize or control gas prices at the Federal level. It is a federal 'country wide operational-liability level' question and answer... and it cannot be left in the hands of capitalists to control a social aspect that is so large, with regarding the public interests.

I'm not against capitalism, I'm against fascism.. a fascism which is when financial people get together and work with the government in order to show favor to themselves over that of the citizenry.

This is the classical dictionary and encyclopedic descriptor for fascism and it is now, over time, become the modus operandi of almost every single modern western government.

I say nationalize the oil and gas industry in Canada.

Boot them out.
    Last edited by Carmody; 20th April 2011 at 02:39.
    Interdimensional Civil Servant

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Carmody For This Post:

Icecold (20th April 2011), Lord Sidious (20th April 2011), Michelle Marie (26th February 2018)

14. Link to Post #28
    Thanks

Remember when Petrocanada was set up to do just that? We snoozed and they sold it.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to TWINCANS For This Post:

16. Link to Post #29
    Australia Avalon Member str8thinker's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 times in 530 posts

@observer, there's already a thread on Google Video here:
    https://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?18513

I don't think Google closing down its Video service is quite the same issue as the Homeland Security one, and am beginning to believe Google's reason for closing its Video service is to avoid unnecessary duplication of services. I've posted more about this in the other thread. If you go there you may be able to find some helpful advice on how to save your Google video library, or ask how best to do this.

@Astrid: I always download any worthwhile Google or YouTube video immediately to my hard drive in an appropriate folder, usually accompanied by a text file containing its URL and any interesting info on it, usually from the "more" comments section. For this I use DownloadHelper (Firefox plugin). One never knows - Google might take it into its head to delete the video the next day, or the user might do it.
    Last edited by str8thinker; 20th April 2011 at 03:28.
    Beware the bearers of FALSE gifts & their BROKEN PROMISES. Much PAIN but still time. BELIEVE. There is GOOD out there. We OPpose DECEPTION. COnduit CLOSING.
    - Crabwood crop circle, 2002.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to str8thinker For This Post:

astrid (20th April 2011), Michelle Marie (26th February 2018), ThePythonicCow (20th April 2011)

18. Link to Post #30
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,422 times in 3,394 posts

Yes , i use a few different helpers for Youtube also, it was just the Google vids i wasn't sure how to save,

that was what Observer was needing advice on, so thanks for that St8.

And thanks for the Pm also, you are always helpful... :-)
    The greatest privilege of a human life is to become a
    midwife to the awakening of the Soul in another person.”
    ~ Plato

19. The Following User Says Thank You to astrid For This Post:

20. Link to Post #31
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,835 times in 3,731 posts

Quote Posted by str8thinker (here)
    @Astrid: I always download any worthwhile Google or YouTube video immediately to my hard drive
    Google might take it into its head to delete the video the next day, or the user might do it.
    I concur - it will take you ages to fill up a 2Tb USB hard-drive (and its backup! - seriously) - additionally its a lot easier to show people stuff even when they are not connected to the internet. I have even burned some good ones in DVD format for people who only watch TV
    -- Let the truth be known by all, let the truth be known by all, let the truth be known by all --

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anchor For This Post:

Lord Sidious (20th April 2011), Michelle Marie (26th February 2018)

22. Link to Post #32
    Australia Avalon Member bluestflame's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,500 times in 1,808 posts

in light of current events i thought it time to bump this one

seems same leopard different name

23. The Following User Says Thank You to bluestflame For This Post:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2