+ Reply to Thread

Thread: It's the End of the Line for the Ad-Supported Web

1. Link to Post #1
    Language
    German
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,217 times in 438 posts

Lightbulb It's the End of the Line for the Ad-Supported Web

Came across an interesting article that is discussing the increase and tendency towards ad-blocking at the www:

Quote With the release of iOS 9 this week, the discussion over ad blocking has reached a peak.

That’s because the latest version of Apple’s mobile OS includes tools for developers to create ad-blocking software, affording mobile users the same freedom from advertising that desktop browser add-ons like AdBlock Plus and Ghostery have provided for years.

In the U.S., 16 percent of Internet users employ ad-blocking tools, according to a recent study by PageFair and Adobe. (Note: PageFair provides tools for publishers and advertisers to get around ad blockers.) The percentage is even higher in Europe, with the highest rate of ad blocking in Poland, where 39 percent of the population blocks ads.
    Source: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/its-e...b-dylan-tweney

I wish, this would also be possible for Radio and TV because the amount of advertising has exceeded to a point where it is just annoying and I contemplated some time earlier, if there would be a way to market a device that would mute f.x. radio ads and news broadcast.

Michael
    "The greatest good you can do for another is not just share your riches, but to reveal to him his own."
    -- Benjamin Disraeli

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Michi For This Post:

Art (22nd September 2015), Blacklight43 (21st September 2015), KiwiElf (21st September 2015), Mercedes (21st September 2015), Nasu (21st September 2015)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,784 times in 3,539 posts

Default Re: It's the End of the Line for the Ad-Supported Web

I know I watched a mini-series and the length of commercial time exceeded 9 minutes. That's like having a door-to-door salesman, following you in your walk of life, pestering you to buy something.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lifebringer For This Post:

Mercedes (21st September 2015), Nasu (21st September 2015)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

I've been using ad blockers for pretty much as long as they've been available so I honestly had no idea of how bad it really was. Until recently. When Google did their rebranding thing and the ad blocker suddenly didn't work anymore for YouTube. I genuinely couldn't believe my eyes when I tried to watch a video and was given a 5:20 min advertisement before it would start... Now I obviously didn't watch it - who in their right mind would? - and got a 0:20 sec ad in return after refreshing the page. But purely the fact that they would even think of including an almost five and a half minute long advertisement infuriated me. The ad would've been longer than the actual video that I was trying to watch in this case...
    And later on, when I was watching a 2 hour long Camelot interview, the video got interrupted about 4 or 5 times as well to show a short advertisement...

And then they wonder why so many people use tools to block them. What were they expecting? Now I completely understand that certain websites depend on this model, and I have nothing against that. I would gladly turn my ad blocker off for those websites that kindly ask you to do so and I think deserve it. But in my opinion this isn't the case for the vast majority of them and it has simply gone way out of hand. And I especially don't like it when certain news articles are trying to put the blame on us and make us feel guilty for causing these websites to lose money.
    Last edited by Rhah; 21st September 2015 at 12:24.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rhah For This Post:

Fellow Aspirant (21st September 2015), genevieve (21st September 2015), Jhonie (21st September 2015), Mercedes (21st September 2015), Nasu (21st September 2015)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

It is easy to avoid advertising in TV and Radio. Just don't use it. Main stream TV and Radio are the most common tools to manipulate your mind.

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Aviator For This Post:

Art (22nd September 2015), Buzzie (21st September 2015), Mercedes (21st September 2015), Rhah (21st September 2015), Richard S. (21st September 2015), sandy (22nd September 2015), Ted (21st September 2015), WhiteLove (21st September 2015), Xanth (21st September 2015)

+ Reply to Thread