+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How long after storage can water be safely consumed?

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,159 times in 1,454 posts

Default How long after storage can water be safely consumed?

I have many bottles of filtered water stored in my basement......I am wondering if they are safe to consume after probably 2 years of storage?? I was thinking of boiling it for tea but worried it is not safe any more.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Earth Angel For This Post:

Nasu (4th October 2015), Selene (5th October 2015)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member Bluegreen's Avatar
    Language
    ¿
    Thanks
    Thanked 52,169 times in 10,102 posts

Default Re: How long after storage can water be safely consumed?

I've wondered about this myself
    Sources suggest 6 months to 2 years

http://www.efoodsdirect.com/blog/sto...ater-good-for/
    http://www.eatbydate.com/drinks/how-...piration-date/

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bluegreen For This Post:

Earth Angel (5th October 2015), Nasu (4th October 2015)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,784 times in 3,539 posts

Just got to be careful of Listeria/stagnant water. I think lack of light is best, but its been too long since I read it and just remember the germ contamination name.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lifebringer For This Post:

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,729 times in 2,903 posts

bottled water isn't anything special it's nothing more then if you filled some jugs from your tap... although some I notice are putting a tincture of ozone... that is probably the biggest plus... and that adds nothing but protection from certain bacteria and virus' ....i.e. unless you live in the mojave desert or are marooned on one of those reality tv shows where there is no water, I'd just dump it and pour some fresh water from a reasonably filtered tap... old stagnant water? yech... why bother... water, like life, is meant to flow and circulate... even after a few months, I shudder at the thought of bottled water absorbing all those hormone disrupting bpa, and after two years?... that should do it...
    We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time
    By faith we understand things which are seen were not made of the things which are visible

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sigma6 For This Post:

Bubu (5th October 2015), Earth Angel (5th October 2015), Jhonie (5th October 2015), Nasu (4th October 2015), Selene (5th October 2015)

9. Link to Post #5
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

I visited a friend after one year, and found my gallon of Crystal Geyser water (non BPA plastic) sitting on her counter where I had left it the year before. I checked inwardly with my self as to its useability. I got a big OK and drank it all up. No problems to report.

It sat on the kitchen counter day and night (unopened).

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fourty-two For This Post:

Earth Angel (5th October 2015), Nasu (4th October 2015), Orph (5th October 2015)

11. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member Lone Bean's Avatar
    Thanks

Gosh. I've got some tap water that I bottled in clean 2-liter plastic coke bottles way back in 2009. That makes them 6+ years old! I really have no plans of emptying them and refilling them with new water. I did add about 4 drops of bleach to each one back when I originally filled them. I figure, if things get really bad and we have to drink it, I'll run it through my homemade ceramic filter system, or boil it, or add more bleach. Certainly will need aerating. I guess my only real concern is if any toxins have leached from the plastic into the water. They've been stored in the dark in my basement where it's always coolish, so maybe they're o.k. If we can't drink it at least we can wash clothes or our bodies with it. I won't be throwing it out. Would it be bad to give it to the neighbors if they need water, but tell them how old it is??? :D

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lone Bean For This Post:

13. Link to Post #7
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,435 times in 21,490 posts

The toxins that leach from plastics into stored water are likely, in my estimation, relatively harmless in small amounts.

However the difference between a little water and no water, after a few days, can be the different between life and death.

If all I had was old water in a BPA plastic bottle, and I was thirsty enough, I'd damn sure drink it.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Art (5th October 2015), Earth Angel (5th October 2015), fourty-two (5th October 2015), Jhonie (5th October 2015), LivioRazlo (5th October 2015), Selene (4th October 2015), sheme (30th August 2016)

15. Link to Post #8
    Virgin Islands Avalon Member Selene's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,225 times in 1,108 posts

With the absolute caveat that your original water didn't contain any nefarious organisms. You may still need to boil your stored water before drinking to remove bacteria and fungi. But you will have water, which is lifesaving.

At the risk of overreaching, there is an interesting solar-powered water-purification device currently seeking Kickstarter funding. Might be useful for cleaning up stored water before drinking? See here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-water-for-all

Quote Posted by Paul (here)
    The toxins that leach from plastics into stored water are likely, in my estimation, relatively harmless in small amounts.

However the difference between a little water and no water, after a few days, can be the different between life and death.

If all I had was old water in a BPA plastic bottle, and I was thirsty enough, I'd damn sure drink it.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Selene For This Post:

Earth Angel (5th October 2015), fourty-two (5th October 2015), ThePythonicCow (5th October 2015)

17. Link to Post #9
    United States Honored, Retired Member. Ron passed in October 2022.
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,257 times in 2,136 posts

My favorite portable water filter is the $35 Sawyer, available at Amazon and Walmart.
    Good for 1 million gallons.
    Filters down to 0.1 micron.

More about processing water here.
    Last edited by Ron Mauer Sr; 5th October 2015 at 00:18.

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ron Mauer Sr For This Post:

Earth Angel (5th October 2015), fourty-two (5th October 2015), LivioRazlo (5th October 2015), Selene (5th October 2015), sigma6 (6th October 2015), ThePythonicCow (5th October 2015), Verdilac (22nd October 2016)

19. Link to Post #10
    Philippines Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,266 times in 2,725 posts

My nose is the official nose tester at home,I can smell toxins in bottled water chemicals from plastic

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

Earth Angel (5th October 2015), fourty-two (5th October 2015), Ron Mauer Sr (5th October 2015)

21. Link to Post #11
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,435 times in 21,490 posts

Quote Posted by Selene (here)
    With the absolute caveat that your original water didn't contain any nefarious organisms. You may still need to boil your stored water before drinking to remove bacteria and fungi. But you will have water, which is lifesaving.
    Yes.

Boil, or add a bit of bleach, or a little iodine, or filter through a fine filter, such as a Berkey, Lifesaver, Katadyn, or Sawyer, or add a bit of chlorine dioxide (ClO2, aka MMS), for which I keep the raw materials in ample supply.

In my case, likely both a filter and the ClO2.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Earth Angel (5th October 2015), GaelVictor (6th October 2015), Ron Mauer Sr (5th October 2015), Selene (5th October 2015)

23. Link to Post #12
    Canada Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,273 times in 1,132 posts

Incredibly useful and excellent information from Ron about the SAWYER filter, and from Paul regarding the chlorine dioxide.

My contribution is to recommend increasing the "life" of stored water, city water, using the vortex method shown us by Viktor Schauberger. For years I have used the hand-held water structuring unit developed by Clayton Nolte. I run it through often six times before drinking, and the water becomes SMOOTH and full and quite lovely. My two-year-old granddaughter, when she sees my glass of water near me, always asks to drink some of it.

My immediate family ridicules me about this, but I use it. Indeed, I highly recommend it. My understanding is that the enlivening vortex action will even have beneficial effects on the "memory" of water (whether from fertilizers or chlorine or drug residues or fluoride).

24. Link to Post #13
    Hong Kong Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Produce water yourself

25. Link to Post #14
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,159 times in 1,454 posts

thanks everyone.......this water was from my tap but its been filtered through a culligan water filtering system...it is stored in my dark basement in the clear plastic bottles that distilled water comes in when purchased at the grocery store. It was meant for emergency purposes only and as Paul said if faced with no water or this I certainly would drink this.....boiling if possible to be sure. At the moment I am wondering if it would be safe to use to make tea with as its past the watering of plants time of the year here in Ontario and I think it is time to recycle it with fresher water. I don't want waste it.

26. Link to Post #15
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,729 times in 2,903 posts

Diabetes, obesity and developmental problems all caused by chemical corporations' toxic products

wakey wakey...
    many have difficulty seeing correlation between seemingly small and "insignificant" behaviours and ingredients and disease because of the long time period in between which allows greater room for rationalizing other false interpretations and misconceptions... (mind you in truth none of this can hide from, and is in fact revealed by, proper statistical analysis and interpretation) ironically too, this is because these same people use the same "logic and reasoning" as "legal" professionals... which is a superficial and limited application being applied in an artificial fictional environment of their own creation (Consider a "statistician" would be considered an "expert witness" entering into their world, and this is only on rare occasion (and no wonder)) In any event, this would be a huge mistake... many are deceived into thinking they are being more "sophisticated" in their "reasoning" by subconsciously "educating themselves" (being deceived) into watching all these "cop and lawyer" shows (commercial theatrical vehicles)... and subconsciously mimicking the same reasoning and thinking in their own life... (making themselves prey to the the very system manipulating a de-facto jurisdiction over them in the first place... this all happening on an even more insidious and subtle level... And this is the "legal reasoning" that allows corporations to create products that ultimately destroy people's health and escape liability, using tunnel vision technical interpretations that hide the big picture truth and reality of the whole situation... and of course using the same "reasoning" we are subconsciously acquiescing... or at the very least, exposing our own superficial perception and problem solving skills

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/051423_en...#ixzz3nhk8KKJM
    http://www.naturalnews.com/051423_en...s_obesity.html

common sense alone would say release it back into the eco system (there's no waste in releasing clean water... it's not spilt milk, even then... and pour yourself a tall glass of cool clean fresh water (that has been circulating)... ;-D
    Last edited by sigma6; 6th October 2015 at 15:47. Reason: additional musing
    We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time
    By faith we understand things which are seen were not made of the things which are visible

+ Reply to Thread