+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Does playing a musical instrument trigger latent psychic abilities in the musician?

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member Sean's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,659 times in 387 posts

Default Does playing a musical instrument trigger latent psychic abilities in the musician?

Question is in the title. If so, how/why would it work?
    /discuss

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sean For This Post:

Bluegreen (5th October 2015), Guish (6th October 2015), Sunny-side-up (5th October 2015), Valley (5th October 2015)

3. Link to Post #2
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,863 times in 11,839 posts

Default Re: Does playing a musical instrument trigger latent psychic abilities in the musician?

Having played in bands for years I found that it is almost telepathic as far as the actual variations in playing went.
    We rarely play the songs the same way--subtle variations of emphasis would be triggered by a member and we were all there instantly with it.
    As far as it goes, it only applies to playing together.
    Any long term relationship would possibly bring about a form of mind reading.

Its partly compatible energy and just repetition --you can see where a situation is going because, like enough, similar has happened before.
    I would not really call this psychic or supernatural just being aware of patterns.

Chris
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Bluegreen (5th October 2015), Bubu (5th October 2015), fourty-two (7th October 2015), Guish (6th October 2015), Matthew (5th October 2015), Patrikas (6th October 2015), Sunny-side-up (5th October 2015), Valley (13th October 2015)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member bearcow's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 times in 472 posts

Default Re: Does playing a musical instrument trigger latent psychic abilities in the musician?

No, playing music does not enhance psychic capabilities more so than any other concentrated external activity. However the average person interested in playing music is naturally more intuitive than the average person in general.
    "You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go..."
    — Dr. Seuss

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bearcow For This Post:

Bluegreen (5th October 2015), Guish (6th October 2015), RUSirius (6th October 2015)

7. Link to Post #4
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 times in 575 posts

In my experience, in twenty-five years it has happened maybe half a dozen times, where I have become merely a conduit...... to a realm where every move and choice was an unconscious decision and 'something' was flowing through me as I played.

Regards.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Citizen No2 For This Post:

Becky (6th October 2015), Bluegreen (5th October 2015), Bubu (5th October 2015), Guish (6th October 2015), RUSirius (6th October 2015), Valley (13th October 2015)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,426 times in 839 posts

That would depend on what you classify as "psychic abilities". Writing and creating music, (as with any artistic endeavor), requires tapping into other levels of ourselves that we wouldn't normally tap into. I suppose you could call that a psychic experience. If you mean by playing a musical instrument that a person will become clairvoyant or something, ..... well I suppose that is possible. But I think a person would have to have those abilities first. I don't think playing a musical instrument in itself will do much.
    I am enlightened, ............ Oh wait. That's just the police shining their spotlights on me.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Orph For This Post:

Bluegreen (5th October 2015), Guish (6th October 2015)

11. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member badgerboy's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm a professional musician and I often have gone into trances playing guitar or bass while singing, especially harmonies. More so with Indian music than western, but the experiences were transcendent and thus probably a good platform to enact prayer, magic. Which is in turn what the notes were doing anyway.

12. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to badgerboy For This Post:

Becky (6th October 2015), Bluegreen (5th October 2015), Bubu (5th October 2015), Guish (6th October 2015), Inmortal719 (5th October 2015), Matthew (5th October 2015), RUSirius (6th October 2015), seko (5th October 2015), StandingWave (6th October 2015), Valley (5th October 2015)

13. Link to Post #7
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,863 times in 11,839 posts

Quote Posted by badgerboy (here)
    I'm a professional musician and I often have gone into trances playing guitar or bass while singing, especially harmonies. More so with Indian music than western, but the experiences were transcendent and thus probably a good platform to enact prayer, magic. Which is in turn what the notes were doing anyway.
    Im with you there badgerboy.
    Sometimes I wondered whether the bass was playing me or I playing it.
    There was a high--the fingers moved the notes happened I was no doing it. I could not play that good.
    Think many musicians will get this.

Chris
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

14. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

badgerboy (5th October 2015), Becky (6th October 2015), Bluegreen (5th October 2015), Bubu (5th October 2015), Guish (6th October 2015), Jantje (6th October 2015), Matthew (5th October 2015), Selene (5th October 2015), StandingWave (6th October 2015), Stardad (5th October 2015), Valley (5th October 2015)

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,221 times in 554 posts

I have noticed while playing hand drums and guitar alone, sometimes after getting into a certain rhythm for a bit, I will have an inspiration to start singing a first line that fits with the music/rhythm, and sometimes a whole song will come out, rhymes and all, without even missing a beat.
    Last edited by Valley; 5th October 2015 at 19:43.
    Be Flexible, In Body and Mind... Be Wise and Prize What You Find... Be Clear, No Fear to Blind... Be Nice, Think Twice, Be Kind

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Valley For This Post:

Becky (6th October 2015), Bluegreen (5th October 2015), greybeard (6th October 2015), Guish (6th October 2015), Selkie (5th October 2015)

17. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,601 times in 1,987 posts

This music is so loosey-goosey, so boozy, and yet so tight, that it defies description,

unless its this,

But of course, they are of the same energy, with a fabulous segue...

at least to this old girl

apology I mixed up Rocket In My Pocket with Tripe Face Boogie. Sorry...so sorry!
    Last edited by Selkie; 5th October 2015 at 23:09.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Selkie For This Post:

Bluegreen (6th October 2015), greybeard (6th October 2015), Guish (6th October 2015), Valley (6th October 2015)

19. Link to Post #10
    United States Avalon Member Bluegreen's Avatar
    Language
    ¿
    Thanks
    Thanked 52,413 times in 10,154 posts

If it did I'd never have to speak!

Quote Posted by Selkie (here)
    apology I mixed up Rocket In My Pocket with Tripe Face Boogie.
    No worries. Everybody does that. Truthfully, it is one of only three worldwide languages we have, the others being mathematics and love, so the musicians do have that going for them ...
    Last edited by Bluegreen; 6th October 2015 at 13:46.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bluegreen For This Post:

greybeard (6th October 2015), Guish (6th October 2015), Jantje (6th October 2015), Selkie (5th October 2015), Valley (6th October 2015)

21. Link to Post #11
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,291 times in 744 posts

I used to play the classical guitar (just for personal pleasure, I was never at professional level) & Bach, in particular, used to vibrate through my body - I always felt uplifted by the actual physical sensations. .. (listen to Jorge Caballero on youtube if you want to hear a real master!) Also, Paulo Martelli. . . .

I suspect that the effect of cymatics on the body would definitely raise one's personal vibrations, possibly stimulating the chakras & consequently any psychic abilities that were dormant. It's one of the reasons I refuse to listen to what I consider vulgar, cheap music; it not only offends my ear but also my physical experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22BDPcU2QS4
    Last edited by kirolak; 6th October 2015 at 06:42.

22. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to kirolak For This Post:

Becky (6th October 2015), Bluegreen (8th October 2015), fourty-two (7th October 2015), greybeard (6th October 2015), Guish (6th October 2015), Lone Bean (6th October 2015), transiten (7th October 2015), Valley (6th October 2015)

23. Link to Post #12
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,453 times in 1,583 posts

In zen, there's a mental called the "no mind" state. We get glimpses of it from time to time. You may get that blank moment when totally absorbed in an activity. The activity can be music. It's called mindfulness. Music trains oneself to concentrate till one reaches a point where we are completely absorbed and everything just flows.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Guish For This Post:

Bluegreen (8th October 2015), kirolak (6th October 2015), PRAGMAE (6th October 2015), Valley (6th October 2015)

25. Link to Post #13
    United States Avalon Member Lone Bean's Avatar
    Thanks

While working on my music degree I had to play classical guitar duets with my guitar teacher. I would find it fascinating that many times I was able to know what he was going to do musically wise, before he did it. I could play along with him better than anyone else I've ever played with. I know it was some sort of psychic connection I had with him. He sometimes would decide to do a rubato or some other type musical device without telling me beforehand and somehow I just knew what was coming up. So, I think we do have the ability to become more physic while we are actually playing, in the moment, but I don't know if there is any carry-over of it.

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Lone Bean For This Post:

Bluegreen (8th October 2015), fourty-two (7th October 2015), Guish (6th October 2015), Heartsong (6th October 2015), kirolak (6th October 2015), Valley (6th October 2015)

27. Link to Post #14
    United States Avalon Member Heartsong's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 times in 498 posts

Yes, there is a mystical element to music. It can be the a that unlocks a personal spiritual place in the heart and brain.

However, I've been around musicians or players-of-instruments who haven't a clue about the personal depth that music can offer. They are mechanics when it comes to music, proficient mechanics who simply play the notes in front of them.
    If you haven't got the soul then the music won't do anything to enhance your being, psychic or otherwise.

+ Reply to Thread