+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 431 FirstFirst 1 27 37 47 87 137 431 LastLast

Thread: Enlightenment: The Ego, what is it? How to transcend it.

1. Link to Post #721
    Israel Avalon Member PathWalker's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,056 times in 1,088 posts

Smile Re: Enlightenment: The Ego, what is it? How to transcend it.

Quote Posted by greybeard (here)
    A story

A man was given a gift of the perfect servant the only draw back was that he the master did no keep the servant busy it would kill him.

So at fist the master managed to keep the servant busy but he kept running out of things for him to do.
    It was exhausting the master, then hit upon the idea,
    He got the servant brick by brick to build a wall, when the wall was complete he go the servant to dismantle it brick by brick.

SO THATS OUR EGO. If we dont keep it busy in acquisition and separation mode it will make us very uneasy,
    Thank you Graybeard that is a master piece of poetry.
    I really like the ego parable.
    Since I live in the middle east,it is very easy to work out the servant with useless chores (dig & fill, build & destroy).

So the ego hears of enlightenment, sounds a great idea, it becomes the spiritual ego, the seeker, it wil take you to work shops, seminars, books, cds, dvds, you name it.
    The spiritual merry go round till eventually you realize you are looking in all the wrong places.

The longest journey is from head to heart.
    I enjoyed the description of a spiritual ego, since I recognize mine and my addiction to information.

Never the less it is part of me and I am trying to make service from it in this thread
    Last edited by PathWalker; 13th February 2011 at 21:41.
    We are playing a virtual reality game, of duality. In the game of choices, align your choices with your ideals. Everything is whole, complete and perfect. Even yourself. Love is the power to change/create.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PathWalker For This Post:

greybeard (14th February 2011)

3. Link to Post #722
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,616 times in 1,305 posts

Default Re: Enlightenment: The Ego, what is it? How to transcend it.

[I am not of any religion but Jesus certainly spoke of many wondrous things happening in the future, including a New Earth.

Dan and Beren and Redezra know the Bible I dont may be they would like to quote Jesus on New Earth.

Help guys!!!

Chris

Namaste
    Hi Chris and dear friends,

Here is a link to a passage of Scripture where these coming things are foretold: 2 Peter 3:5-13

Sorry for my slow reply, I was away...

Love ~ Dan
    Unity Consciousness
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free your mind, and open your heart to LOVE.
    You'll then become enlightened able to just BE.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to truthseekerdan For This Post:

greybeard (14th February 2011)

5. Link to Post #723
    Thanks

I just tried to make a post. It timed out. I was too concerned with getting my words right, now I (my ego) don't care how this reads...

I am confused because I read back to front. Everything has an opposite.
    No matter what a person s background, all are enlightened.
    Some people don't understand how to deal with their wrestling ego, if they have time to think about it all.
    I think I have too much time on my hands when I do.
    When a person shows compassion it is without question.
    Not everyone can empty their minds and meditate, or let go of their belief system in order to do so.
    Not everyone has a duality with themselves.
    We are all enlightened, no matter what walk of life.

Please forgive my ignorance if I am misunderstanding this discussion now.
    Last edited by golden wonder; 13th February 2011 at 23:37. Reason: Was in response to greybeard post. Still making mistakes as a new user.

6. Link to Post #724
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,863 times in 11,839 posts

Quote Posted by golden wonder (here)
    I just tried to make a post. It timed out. I was too concerned with getting my words right, now I (my ego) don't care how this reads...

I am confused because I read back to front. Everything has an opposite.
    No matter what a person s background, all are enlightened.
    Some people don't understand how to deal with their wrestling ego, if they have time to think about it all.
    I think I have too much time on my hands when I do.
    When a person shows compassion it is without question.
    Not everyone can empty their minds and meditate, or let go of their belief system in order to do so.
    Not everyone has a duality with themselves.
    We are all enlightened, no matter what walk of life.

Please forgive my ignorance if I am misunderstanding this discussion now.
    Hi Golden Wonder
    thanks for posting.
    The seed of enlightenment is within everyone it has nothing to do with back ground or intelligence.
    Compassion as you rightly pointed out is very important.
    Everyone has duality within ie male and female.
    Everyone can empty their minds believe me but it takes time, there was a post earlier about how to
    TAKES TIME TO LET GO OF BELIEF SYSTEMS, but the biggest one is the belief I am the body.
    2nd biggest is that I am making things happen all on my own unaided.

I would suggest that anyone new to this subject starts at page one and works through.

I wil let my ego out to play for a moment.

If this was a Charles thread you would make the time,

Honestly this thread with its diverse points of view and contributors could help you make a big shift in consciousness
    the tools are here.

You raise your consciousness you are changing the world.

With love
    Chris
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

shijo (14th February 2011)

8. Link to Post #725
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,987 times in 1,125 posts

Found this thread late tonight and don't have the time at this moment to start on the 1st page. Will do that tomorrow.

While I'm here I'd like to share a couple of thoughts. I have been "dealing with" the ego since I first read the Course in Miracles. It was a wonderful start and I still refer to it often. The information/counsel I need at any given moment can usually be found within those pages.

To me, the ego screams protection, must protect my individuality at any cost. Ego says there is no oneness, and I must take any thought, word or action from another as an attack...thus the need to attack back. The ego is jealous, need to be right, needs to be "special", need to constantly make comparisons to others and loves games of "one-upmanship" and showing off how smart he/she is with big words or how generous he/she is with big actions. The ego separates us, isolates us from all. It's so noisy that it's hard to hear the whispers of wisdom, or feel the nudges of the spirit.

In recognizing what ego is, the noise of its cries of "protect" "protect!" alerts me to an area of my life than needs work. To question why that person may irk me, for example. It usually turns out to be something in myself I don't like very much. And thus I grow with each noisy warning...beware, ego alert...time to learn.

There is so much wisdom in the many wonderful people here that this may be oversimplistic, but I am a simple traveler seeking enlightenment.

Love this thread, Greybeard. Thank you.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Belle For This Post:

Caren (15th February 2011), greybeard (14th February 2011)

10. Link to Post #726
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Ramana Maharshi quotes here

http://www.successconsciousness.com/...shi_quotes.htm

One of my first teachers via several books.

Even David Icke was moved enough by these teachings to visit the home of the late Maharshi.

Frankly if you get the teachings all you need is one book of his the rest are redundant.

Eckhart Tolle. David Hawkins and most Western Enlightened teachers, quote both Ramana Maharshi and A Course in Miracles.

Wonder why?

Laughing

Happy reading

Chris
    Last edited by greybeard; 14th February 2011 at 09:26.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Belle (14th February 2011), rhythm (15th February 2011)

12. Link to Post #727
    Australia Avalon Member Henners's Avatar
    Thanks

"The authentic self is the best part of a human being. It's the part of you that already cares, that is already passionate about evolution. When your authentic self miraculously awakens and becomes stronger than your ego, then you will truly begin to make a difference in this world. You will literally enter into a partnership with the creative principle."
    ~Andrew Cohen~

You must speak to be heard,
    but sometimes
    You have to be silent to be appreciated.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Henners For This Post:

Belle (14th February 2011), Caren (16th February 2011), greybeard (14th February 2011), rhythm (15th February 2011)

14. Link to Post #728
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,987 times in 1,125 posts

Ramana Maharshi quotes here

http://www.successconsciousness.com/...shi_quotes.htm

One of my first teachers via several books.

Even David Icke was moved enough by these teachings to visit the home of the late Maharshi.

Frankly if you get the teachings all you need is one book of his the rest are redundant.

Eckhart Tolle. David Hawkins and most Western Enlightened teachers, quote both Ramana Maharshi and A Course in Miracles.

Wonder why?

Laughing

Happy reading

Chris
    Thank you for the link. Just briefly browsing the quoted sayings, this is going to be a wonderful visit with a master. There's no way to rush through, sounds like something that must be savored.

I don't know how I missed Marharshi. I've studied for many many years and have a habit of taking what feeds me at the moment and returning when the hunger returns. I believe I shall be gorging on his teachings!

15. Link to Post #729
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,614 times in 5,382 posts

Breakthroughs occur after breakdowns...then the cycle repeats.

I have just got my eviction notice. Starting to gather my survival pack. No more tent or camping gear, that's long gone. Piece of plastic will have to do. Now I see why I have been forced to shoulder a 50lb. pack for the last, what?...3yrs.?...4? I do not even know anymore. I guess this was always inevitable. I want out of this world. Always have. Will head north, into the wild. Then we'll see what happens. Got a buck knife...rope, no money for hatchet. Will bring a small saw. Compass, magnifying glass, one pot with lid, a plastic water bottle. Good clothes I have, and boots. No water tablets. Will have to boil water. I know I can survive, I have the knowledge. Just do not know if I want to, you know? My ego is loving this - the bastard! My lofty struggle is over. Now its back to basic survival. No more time to rant at the injustices of this world - or the eighteen merry men forming their next ego trip. Just me against mother nature - my love now my formidable adversary. Kill to live, gut and skin. No knowledge of plants, cant find that plant book... Do cells work in the wild? What good would it do me if it does? No cell phone then. Wind-up flashlight/radio, some anti-sceptic and gauze. Crazy glue for stubborn cuts. Duct tape! two rolls. Never know when I might have to pull a Red Green... What else, What else? Have I missed something important? Better pull out my survival notes... Heart racing now. Odd, no fear. Things far more vivid suddenly, more real. Lots of sadness though... No regrets, no finger pointing. Palms perspiring - thought that meant money's on its way - who cares. Can't eat money. Soap - have nine bars, a towel. Toilet paper - not much point to that really. Wish I had a dog,,, Bring my walking stick - carved with my initials and some runes. Luckily always kept my good back pack with waist strap! Bed roll, wool blanket is no good, acrilic is better. Plastic Zip lock bags, a whole box. Salt, some spices, the last of the tea. Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! Getting excited, heart pounding. Should I wait till they kick me out or just leave. What will my daughter think? My woman...oh no, my woman. She cannot come, she wouldn't make it more than five city blocks. She'll be okay, her and her daughter. Adrenaline rush.

These are my thoughts now. Not love, not peace, not the future, not free energy, not spirit, not meditation or incense, not transcendance, not my books, not music, not Avalon's flag, not Charles or Bill...certainly not World Peace - who cares about any of that!

I am the ego, the body. My only concern is survival and will all this stuff fit in my pack. And will I be able to heft it and how far can I get and how much will it weigh.

Luckily this isn't the first time I've thought of this. That makes it easier. I'm pretty much prepared. Wait till Val falls alsleep tonight from her multiple pain pills. Then I'll sneak out...
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

Free will can only be as free as the mind that conceives it.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

meeradas (15th February 2011), truthseekerdan (15th February 2011)

17. Link to Post #730
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Ernie my heart goes out to you because I have been there.
    I will say no more it is not about me its a about what is right for you.
    I will pray for your well being now.
    Chris

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

meeradas (15th February 2011), truthseekerdan (15th February 2011)

19. Link to Post #731
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,024 times in 3,784 posts

I sent you PM message Ernie, I hope you respond to it .

Quote Posted by Ernie Nemeth (here)

I have just got my eviction notice. Starting to gather my survival pack. No more tent or camping gear, that's long gone. Piece of plastic will have to do. Now I see why I have been forced to shoulder a 50lb. pack for the last, what?...3yrs.?...4? I do not even know anymore. I guess this was always inevitable. I want out of this world. Always have. Will head north, into the wild. Then we'll see what happens. Got a buck knife...rope, no money for hatchet. Will bring a small saw. Compass, magnifying glass, one pot with lid, a plastic water bottle. Good clothes I have, and boots. No water tablets. Will have to boil water. I know I can survive, I have the knowledge. Just do not know if I want to, you know? My ego is loving this - the bastard! My lofty struggle is over. Now its back to basic survival. No more time to rant at the injustices of this world - or the eighteen merry men forming their next ego trip. Just me against mother nature - my love now my formidable adversary. Kill to live, gut and skin. No knowledge of plants, cant find that plant book... Do cells work in the wild? What good would it do me if it does? No cell phone then. Wind-up flashlight/radio, some anti-sceptic and gauze. Crazy glue for stubborn cuts. Duct tape! two rolls. Never know when I might have to pull a Red Green... What else, What else? Have I missed something important? Better pull out my survival notes... Heart racing now. Odd, no fear. Things far more vivid suddenly, more real. Lots of sadness though... No regrets, no finger pointing. Palms perspiring - thought that meant money's on its way - who cares. Can't eat money. Soap - have nine bars, a towel. Toilet paper - not much point to that really. Wish I had a dog,,, Bring my walking stick - carved with my initials and some runes. Luckily always kept my good back pack with waist strap! Bed roll, wool blanket is no good, acrilic is better. Plastic Zip lock bags, a whole box. Salt, some spices, the last of the tea. Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! Getting excited, heart pounding. Should I wait till they kick me out or just leave. What will my daughter think? My woman...oh no, my woman. She cannot come, she wouldn't make it more than five city blocks. She'll be okay, her and her daughter. Adrenaline rush.

These are my thoughts now. Not love, not peace, not the future, not free energy, not spirit, not meditation or incense, not transcendance, not my books, not music, not Avalon's flag, not Charles or Bill...certainly not World Peace - who cares about any of that!

I am the ego, the body. My only concern is survival and will all this stuff fit in my pack. And will I be able to heft it and how far can I get and how much will it weigh.

Luckily this isn't the first time I've thought of this. That makes it easier. I'm pretty much prepared. Wait till Val falls alsleep tonight from her multiple pain pills. Then I'll sneak out...

20. Link to Post #732
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,616 times in 1,305 posts

Quote Should I wait till they kick me out or just leave.
    Dear Ernie,

Please don't despair my friend -- I know you might think that it's easy for me to say it, but am pretty much in your shoes. Just did not received my notice yet...

I know people in my subdivision that received notices more than 6 months ago, and still live in their houses because they refused to leave. Nobody came to throw them out yet.

I don't know the laws in Canada (live in US myself), but I suggest that you don't leave, just stand your ground and don't fear for your rights. Do your best to stay calm.

Remember that you'll be in my prayers, and in a little while (about a month) there will be a shift in consciousness that is predicted to bring major positive changes, so hang in there.

Meanwhile if there is anything that the Avalon community can help or assist you, please don't hesitate to ask. Most of us are heart driven folks that will be glad to assist.

Take care, love and blessings sent to you and yours ~ Dan ~
    Unity Consciousness
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free your mind, and open your heart to LOVE.
    You'll then become enlightened able to just BE.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to truthseekerdan For This Post:

Caren (16th February 2011)

22. Link to Post #733
    Australia Avalon Member
    Thanks

hi greybeard
    hope you are well
    have begun reading some of your stuff and find it very useful and enjoyable
    have put some stuff onto the forum - a bit prematurely it might seem
    for a while now i think i will just observe and learn
    there are some very informed peope out there on the forum
    bye for now
    genorose

23. Link to Post #734
    Avalon Member Ineffable Hitchhiker's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,854 times in 495 posts

This post had me in tears. Cannot transcend ego right now.
    I don´t know what to say...

All I have to offer is an Irish blessing:-

"May the long time sun
    Shine upon you,
    All love surround you,
    And the pure light within you
    Guide your way on."

Ernie, go well on your journey and take care.
    Hopefully you will find a way to be with your daughter and partner, one day.
    The heart knows a hundred thousand ways to speak.
    ~ rumi

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Ineffable Hitchhiker For This Post:

25. Link to Post #735
    John101

Quote Posted by 9eagle9 (here)

Break's my heart, I feel so useless.

26. Link to Post #736
    Language
    English
    Thanks

We can help each other here, though sharing and sending prayers and good thoughts.
    The ego is not easy to transcend but little by little just by putting others first it diminishes.
    Ernie and Dan you are uppermost in my thoughts.
    With love
    Chris.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

28. Link to Post #737
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by John101 (here)
    Quote Posted by 9eagle9 (here)

Break's my heart, I feel so useless.
    John you are far from useless the moment you have enough humility to ask for help something happens and you are lifted.
    You did ask.
    I went through Alcoholism and was a suicidal wreck at the age of 28. After being hospitalized 3 times. I ended up being taken to AA.
    That changed my life totally.
    It took time and humility on my part, I had hit rock bottom my life had become un-manageable, I could not fix it unloved, unwanted.
    I humbly asked my higher Power the God of m understanding, with a few slips and set backs it all came right.
    I exist on benefits in a council house but I am happy and at peace with me.
    I dont really like talking about me or the past but sometimes it helps.

Chris

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

9eagle9 (15th February 2011), Caren (16th February 2011)

30. Link to Post #738
    John101

I appreciate that Chris, I just find it hard right now to see someone in desperate need and not have anything to offer them.
    Hugs and kisses just don't seem enough right now.
    Please do excuse me, I have been struggling with new emotions, tough for me to hold it together sometimes.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to John101 For This Post:

32. Link to Post #739
    Language
    English
    Thanks

The AA Prayer

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change
    Courage to change the things I can.
    Wisdom to know the difference.

The power of prayer is not to be confused with hugs and kisses John though that helps too.

Despair has a low energy and does not help anyone.

Part of spiritual growth are famously called "Dark nights of the soul"
    During these difficult times we are being purified, everything that is not the true I comes up to be burnt off by the light of consiousness.

Regards Chris

33. Link to Post #740
    John101

The AA Prayer

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change
    Courage to change the things I can.
    Wisdom to know the difference. .
    Something I already knew, but had also forgot.
    It does balance it out quite well.

Many Thanks for reminding me of this.

This is why it was you that I asked.
    Regards John
    Last edited by John101; 15th February 2011 at 11:53.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to John101 For This Post:

greybeard (15th February 2011)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 431 FirstFirst 1 27 37 47 87 137 431 LastLast