+ Reply to Thread
Page 168 of 431 FirstFirst 1 68 118 158 168 178 218 268 431 LastLast
Results 3,341 to 3,360 of 8615

Thread: Enlightenment: The Ego, what is it? How to transcend it.

1. Link to Post #3341
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,964 times in 7,673 posts

Default Re: Enlightenment: The Ego, what is it? How to transcend it.

You are both the light and the path to the Truth you already are.
    My blessing is that you fall totally in love with this discovering.
    Merge in It. Marinate in It.
    Think constantly about it. Enjoy being It.
    Smell like It. Look like It. Taste like It.
    Be It.
    How?
    No technique needed. Its already happening by grace.
    You are in God's oven being baked like a jacket potato.

~ Mooji

"When you've seen beyond yourself, then you may find, peace of mind is waiting there." ~ George Harrison

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

blotter (28th February 2015), GarethBKK (16th March 2015), greybeard (28th February 2015), Grizz Griswold (28th February 2015), Guish (28th February 2015), joeecho (28th February 2015)

3. Link to Post #3342
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,453 times in 1,583 posts

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Guish For This Post:

bodhii71 (6th March 2015), greybeard (2nd March 2015), Grizz Griswold (2nd March 2015), Wind (2nd March 2015)

5. Link to Post #3343
    Thanks

As soon as you come to the beautiful space of serenity and emptiness, simply keep quiet inside your being. Now it is easy to recognise who the first visitor will be. Mind will come and ask: ‘Now what?’
    This usually gets the 'person' and its sense of insecurity going again and many get distracted by the 'fear of the unknown' and hesitate to go further in.
    But to whom is the mind asking such a question?
    Mind is outside the door now but he is not yet gone.
    He is trying to re-enter to regain control by connecting to your 'person'.
    ‘So, what are you going to do with all this emptiness?
    How are things going to get done?' he asks. But this is not your concern now.
    You have moved from person to presence–a higher state of consciousness.
    It is a crucial moment in the awakening. Mind is not going to give up this easy.
    Any chance to push you back into the previous state he will take. Do not fall for this. Trust the Self. Be one with your inner being.
    There is nothing to do but to keep quietly acknowledging the state and presence of grace.
    Just keep quiet.
    Let go of command.
    Let go of the 'wheel of life'.
    If you, as a person, try to direct life, you only make strive.
    When you give up the need to control, you find you are caressed by a deeper power. Appreciate the silence, the stillness, the intuitiveness and wisdom that is arising naturally inside, which your mind is trying to distract you from recognising.
    Be empty, quiet and trusting.
    It is like a hole is being made in the mind's universe and the hand of God is pulling you through into your divine existence.

~ Mooji
    "When you've seen beyond yourself, then you may find, peace of mind is waiting there." ~ George Harrison

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

blotter (5th March 2015), GarethBKK (16th March 2015), greybeard (2nd March 2015), Grizz Griswold (2nd March 2015), Guish (3rd March 2015), Heart-2-Heart (2nd March 2015)

7. Link to Post #3344
    Thanks

^ It's almost as if you have a second person inside you. I'm sometimes surprised by the strange random thoughts that the mind can produce.
    The best state is the no mind state and the best action is no action at times. Here is the video which talks about the wheel of life at the end. Sidhant watches this almost everyday.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Guish For This Post:

blotter (5th March 2015), greybeard (3rd March 2015), Grizz Griswold (3rd March 2015), Heart-2-Heart (5th March 2015), Wind (4th March 2015)

9. Link to Post #3345
    United States Avalon Member Grizz Griswold's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,499 times in 288 posts

Quote Posted by Guish (here)
    ^ It's almost as if you have a second person inside you. I'm sometimes surprised by the strange random thoughts that the mind can produce.
    The best state is the no mind state and the best action is no action at times. Here is the video which talks about the wheel of life at the end. Sidhant watches this almost everyday.

Like a really bad narrator, following us around, commenting constantly.
    Until we realize, that our thoughts are not us, we tend to stay in deep dodo, and so the
    following video.

With Love
    b
    Last edited by Grizz Griswold; 5th March 2015 at 17:20.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Grizz Griswold For This Post:

blotter (5th March 2015), greybeard (5th March 2015), Guish (5th March 2015), Wind (6th March 2015)

11. Link to Post #3346
    Thanks

Nice one Barry. Another good Vid by Bruce.
    I don't think that the ego is dissolved. We just become more aware of its moves. That's what I think anyway.

Last edited by Guish; 5th March 2015 at 18:22.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Guish For This Post:

blotter (5th March 2015), greybeard (5th March 2015), Grizz Griswold (5th March 2015), Heart-2-Heart (5th March 2015), Wind (6th March 2015)

13. Link to Post #3347
    United States Avalon Member blotter's Avatar
    Thanks

I was looking at a half-eaten banana the other day. The part of peel that was over the missing portion had withered and browned; meanwhile the peel that still had its banana contents was yellow and healthy. I'm not sure if the ego completely dissolves, but at some point I think it might closely resemble the dead peel and realize its job is done; that it was never protecting the banana, but the banana was protecting it

Guish that is a awesome video a few posts up - I wish I would have been exposed to buddha's story as a kid. I'm think I saw it on this forum, but a clip from a kid's cartoon called the Last Airbender explained the chakra system. I'm not sure if it's age appropriate for your kid, but it's so cool to me that young ones are being more exposed to other ideas
    Last edited by blotter; 5th March 2015 at 20:09.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to blotter For This Post:

greybeard (5th March 2015), Grizz Griswold (5th March 2015), Guish (6th March 2015), Heart-2-Heart (5th March 2015), Wind (6th March 2015)

15. Link to Post #3348
    United States Avalon Member bodhii71's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,258 times in 230 posts

My postings are sporadic, usually I try to share items that have some meaning for myself or convey something I have already experienced on this journey. In return, I like to imagine that a post I may make might have some significance for someone else. Bentinho is someone who I think "nails it", in a voice that hasn't been heard before in such a way.

I think if anyone takes the time to follow this thread with any zeal will eventually appreciate his teachings. This, to date is his latest video upload. It may be worth the time to investigate other videos first. Either way, it is here for your consideration. My best for everyone.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bodhii71 For This Post:

blotter (7th March 2015), greybeard (6th March 2015), Grizz Griswold (6th March 2015), Guish (6th March 2015), Heart-2-Heart (6th March 2015), Wind (6th March 2015)

17. Link to Post #3349
    Thanks

People often say, 'Mooji, I had this awakening in 1997 and it was so beautiful and complete. For two days, there was so much peace, but then it went.'

But this one who had the awakening is who or what exactly?

This one can never actually awaken, for during the awakening experience this 'one' was not there. It is the temporary absence of this one that was replaced as and by the pure Self.

Awakening means:

You, personally, are not anymore there. Yourself impersonally is here always.

But while we, the impersonal consciousness Self, are identified with this 'person' identity, we become the 'person' and are then afraid to lose it, meaning: losing our self personally.

While we are in the state of hypnosis, believing our self to be the 'person' costume, the person is all we seem to know our self to be. What will be there in its place should it go? But this is only the person's imagination. And remember: the person is itself imagined.

When the person is blasted and exposed as a myth, what remains is total clarity, contentment, total joy, silence and peace.

Then you say, ‘If I had realised just how beautiful and natural the Self is, this old self would have been given up and gone a long time ago.'

~ Mooji

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

blotter (7th March 2015), greybeard (6th March 2015), Grizz Griswold (6th March 2015), Guish (6th March 2015), Heart-2-Heart (6th March 2015)

19. Link to Post #3350
    Thanks

Quote Posted by blotter (here)
    I was looking at a half-eaten banana the other day. The part of peel that was over the missing portion had withered and browned; meanwhile the peel that still had its banana contents was yellow and healthy. I'm not sure if the ego completely dissolves, but at some point I think it might closely resemble the dead peel and realize its job is done; that it was never protecting the banana, but the banana was protecting it

Guish that is a awesome video a few posts up - I wish I would have been exposed to buddha's story as a kid. I'm think I saw it on this forum, but a clip from a kid's cartoon called the Last Airbender explained the chakra system. I'm not sure if it's age appropriate for your kid, but it's so cool to me that young ones are being more exposed to other ideas
    Yes, Sid is till too young for it. He's turning 2 years old in June. I did watch Airbender once. It's quite interesting. Naruto also explores some interesting aspects, I'd say.

I watched the one below last year and loved it.

Last edited by Guish; 6th March 2015 at 19:06.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Guish For This Post:

blotter (7th March 2015), greybeard (6th March 2015), Grizz Griswold (7th March 2015), Wind (6th March 2015)

21. Link to Post #3351
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Wind (here)
    People often say, 'Mooji, I had this awakening in 1997 and it was so beautiful and complete. For two days, there was so much peace, but then it went.'

But this one who had the awakening is who or what exactly?

This one can never actually awaken, for during the awakening experience this 'one' was not there. It is the temporary absence of this one that was replaced as and by the pure Self.

Awakening means:

You, personally, are not anymore there. Yourself impersonally is here always.

But while we, the impersonal consciousness Self, are identified with this 'person' identity, we become the 'person' and are then afraid to lose it, meaning: losing our self personally.

While we are in the state of hypnosis, believing our self to be the 'person' costume, the person is all we seem to know our self to be. What will be there in its place should it go? But this is only the person's imagination. And remember: the person is itself imagined.

When the person is blasted and exposed as a myth, what remains is total clarity, contentment, total joy, silence and peace.

Then you say, ‘If I had realised just how beautiful and natural the Self is, this old self would have been given up and gone a long time ago.'

~ Mooji
    The fear of losing stops spiritual progress or questions the true self's importance because the true self is bliss and is hardly as active or productive as the identity which we assume to be true. Nevertheless, in the bliss, everything can be completed. One sees clearly. The actions become right and everything happens smoothly. The efforts feel effortless.

Many things like that happened in my life. I got my first job because the headmaster saw me teach once only while I did my internship. I didn't even do an interview.
    I got my manager's job without yearning for it. People recommended me and the headmaster of the school wanted me to do it.
    Attitude of people towards me changed when I changed my interior. Right now, I just know I'm a presence contributing to the betterment of the world and I find peace in it. My name, Status, background... are fake and form part of a game I play everyday. I don't hold on to them.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Guish For This Post:

greybeard (6th March 2015), Grizz Griswold (7th March 2015), Heart-2-Heart (8th March 2015), Wind (6th March 2015)

23. Link to Post #3352
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,860 times in 11,838 posts

Mood changes still happen from time to time.
    The ego is not going to give up that easily.
    It comes up with a version of poor me.
    As in---I used to be gregarious--out going with hobbies and lots of people to communicate with-- I deserve more than this, virtually a solitary existence.
    The ego says--I helped a lot of people and who is really there for me now?

So how do I combat this?

First and foremost I surrender to what is.
    Then I get busy-- Songs to get off--dishes to do.
    Smoky walk.
    Prayer--meditation.
    Videos listened to.
    Thanks to all who post brilliant videos here.
    Counting blessings--my health is good.
    I sing and play with musician friends.
    There is no justifiable reason for low moments.
    This too shall pass.--and it has.

Much love to all here.
    Thanks for the sharing that goes on.
    I think it is important to tell it as it is or rather as the me sees it.
    In Truth nothing happens to Self.
    The mind has great imagination--and if nothing seems to be happening it invents--drama.
    Chris
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

blotter (7th March 2015), Grizz Griswold (7th March 2015), Guish (7th March 2015), Heart-2-Heart (7th March 2015), Wind (6th March 2015)

25. Link to Post #3353
    United States Avalon Member Grizz Griswold's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,499 times in 288 posts

Quote Posted by greybeard (here)
    Mood changes still happen from time to time.
    The ego is not going to give up that easily.
    It comes up with a version of poor me.

As in---I used to be gregarious--out going with hobbies and lots of people to communicate with-- I deserve more than this, virtually a solitary existence.
    The ego says--I helped a lot of people and who is really there for me now?

So how do I combat this?

First and foremost I surrender to what is.
    Then I get busy-- Songs to get off--dishes to do.
    Smoky walk.
    Prayer--meditation.
    Videos listened to.
    Thanks to all who post brilliant videos here.
    Counting blessings--my health is good.
    I sing and play with musician friends.
    There is no justifiable reason for low moments.
    This too shall pass.--and it has.

Much love to all here.
    Thanks for the sharing that goes on.
    I think it is important to tell it as it is or rather as the me sees it.
    In Truth nothing happens to Self.
    The mind has great imagination--and if nothing seems to be happening it invents--drama.
    Chris
    Even in those Awakened, the ego still takes a stab at them on occasion, ego still looking for an opportunity.
    But the Awakened have learned to spot the ego, and the lack of Peace it brings, rather quickly,and it is seen
    for what it is, just a thought, about the I/Me/Mine. In this way, the ego becomes like soup, that has been
    watered down daily, until it is weakened, no longer resembling it's former state. As long as one remains here,
    there will probably be some awareness of ego, even if there is no effect. To reach a state of total perfection,
    one would not last here long as a body, and would return to Timelessness/Spirit.

"Counting Blessings" Reminds me of ACIM Song of Prayer.
    Chris has spent some time in A Course in Miracles as have i.
    The Song Of Prayer, was written at the same time, but was not
    included in the book. Here are some videos of Song Of Prayer.
    Thanks Chris!

With Love
    b
    Last edited by Grizz Griswold; 8th March 2015 at 03:35.

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Grizz Griswold For This Post:

GarethBKK (16th March 2015), greybeard (8th March 2015), Guish (8th March 2015), Heart-2-Heart (8th March 2015), Wind (8th March 2015)

27. Link to Post #3354
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Thanks for the ACIM prayer Barry.
    The meetings were very helpful I went every week for several years.
    Gary Renard book was also discussed (The Disappearance of the Universe)
    Marianne Williamson was a big influence at the time.
    Steps on the road one might say.
    Chris

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Grizz Griswold (8th March 2015), Guish (8th March 2015), Heart-2-Heart (8th March 2015), Wind (8th March 2015)

29. Link to Post #3355
    Thanks

Presence of the higher

"The feeling of some presence inside his heart will become so powerful at intervals, so real and so intense, that he will quite naturally enter into conversation with it. He will implore it, pray to it, express love for it, and worship it. And he will find that it will answer him in words, the sentences forming themselves spontaneously within his mind as speech without sound. It will give him pertinent didactic instruction--often at unexpected moments--and formulate higher points of view."

~ Paul Brunton

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

GarethBKK (16th March 2015), greybeard (8th March 2015), Grizz Griswold (8th March 2015), Guish (8th March 2015), Heart-2-Heart (8th March 2015)

31. Link to Post #3356
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Wind (here)
    Presence of the higher

"The feeling of some presence inside his heart will become so powerful at intervals, so real and so intense, that he will quite naturally enter into conversation with it. He will implore it, pray to it, express love for it, and worship it. And he will find that it will answer him in words, the sentences forming themselves spontaneously within his mind as speech without sound. It will give him pertinent didactic instruction--often at unexpected moments--and formulate higher points of view."

~ Paul Brunton

This presence is calm, compassionate and blissful. I do see some supposedly enlightened masters who treat unenlightened people as fools or ignorant and so on. Is it not the ego playing again by differentiating between the enlightened and unenlightened? In this state I feel concerned by others but in a detached way. Maybe, I'm not awake yet!

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Guish For This Post:

greybeard (8th March 2015), Grizz Griswold (8th March 2015), Skyhaven (9th March 2015), Wind (8th March 2015)

33. Link to Post #3357
    Thanks

Good points as always, Guish. Here's the latest from Mooji.

Many beings come to me and say, ‘Life is flowing very beautifully now.
    I am in a state of peace. My intuitive powers are opening up. Life is a sweet flow.
    I see sensations and thoughts coming and going but I am unchanging.'
    They feel they are enjoying the complete state of Self-realisation.
    But then unexpectedly, this state is suddenly changing.
    Many thoughts are coming now and they are not nice ones.
    Before, there was a shield of protection but now all ugly things are coming through. The awakening honeymoon seems to be over.
    Now please pay attention. Listen well.
    This is a form of Grace actually. This phase has come and signals that you must mature further in order to attain complete realisation of the Self.

I sometimes say, 'You want to taste the honey, you don't want to be the honey'. What is this honey? It is the satchidananda state—the perfume of the Self experienced as existence, consciousness and bliss.
    All beings enjoy this state and wish to prolong it, believing it to be the ultimate state.
    Through these intense satsangs, ego is thinning away and you are beginning to experience an expansion within your being.
    You are enjoying. You are tasting the honey. Why not? Very nice. Best honey.
    But then somehow you get a bee sting and the tongue hurts. The honey is gone or feels polluted.
    What happened? Your beautiful spiritual world has changed.
    Your spontaneity has gone.
    Don't panic. You haven't done anything wrong.
    What is important now is that you recognise that you are still totally here
    as pure qualityless awareness.
    Grace says, 'You must experience only awareness without the taste of the honey.' But this is not acceptable to the 'experiencer' self.
    It wants the tasting to continue uninterrupted. It wants nothing more.
    Where is the taste?
    There is only the tasteless awareness.
    This 'experiencer' self is a mix of presence and ego and must be transcended before Self-realisation is complete.
    Remember, just as the flower is not attached to its smell, awareness is not addicted to any state.

Now you must be the Self beyond quality.
    Don't rely on the fragrance.
    The initial fragrance is still the subtlest part of phenomenality,
    but it can and will disappear.
    But the Self cannot disappear.
    It cannot even appear for it is infinite and timeless.
    As soon as you, the true Self, recognise and start marinating in your own emptiness, the attachment to fragrances weaken.
    Before arriving to this stage, there was no attraction for the ultimate Self,
    only for its dynamic aspect as presence.
    Now, as a result of listening to and following these direct pointings
    you come to find the Supreme joy—the immutable Self.
    Here is the unfading peace that cannot be described.
    You are not merely tasting peace.
    You are peace itself.
    You are not feeling happy.
    You are happiness itself.
    You are beyond the play of interrelated opposites.
    Beyond the spell of duality.
    This Realisation few have attained.
    Here in satsang today, you may discover and be one of them.

~ Mooji

34. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

GarethBKK (16th March 2015), greybeard (8th March 2015), Grizz Griswold (8th March 2015), Heart-2-Heart (8th March 2015), Skyhaven (9th March 2015)

35. Link to Post #3358
    Language
    English
    Thanks

The experience of enlightenment is an experience and while very encouraging is not That.
    Adyashanti had similar and his inner self said "Keep going"
    Anything that comes and goes is not it.
    The true change has been called "God shock"for good reason.
    It is unmistakable yet seen to be perfectly normal --the true and natural state--the illusion is finally seen through.
    I go to Tim's thread from time to time as the opening post is as close as I have seen to what the intellect can understand fully whilst realising that understanding is not it.
    https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...l=1#post456904
    chris

36. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Grizz Griswold (8th March 2015), Heart-2-Heart (8th March 2015), meeradas (10th March 2015), Skyhaven (9th March 2015), Wind (8th March 2015), Zampano (9th March 2015)

37. Link to Post #3359
    Language
    English
    Thanks

"The search for Reality is the most dangerous of all undertakings, for it destroys the world in which you live." N.M.
    In this fascinating documentary, several people who had the opportunity to be with Maharaj discuss the impact of his teaching. Included are interviews with Jean Dunn, Jack Kornfield, Robert Powell, Allan W. Anderson, Stephen Wolinsky and others. It's a unique opportunity to peek at Maharaj's loft in Bombay and watch him in the midst of a spirited conversation (1995).
    Part of the Nisargadatta Maharaj-Playlist here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...
    Nisargadatta Maharaj (1897-1981) was an Indian spiritual teacher and philosopher of Advaita (Nondualism), and a Guru, belonging to the Inchgiri branch of the Navnath Sampradaya. In 1973, the publication of his most famous and widely translated book, "I Am That", an English translation of his talks in Marathi by Maurice Frydman, brought him worldwide recognition and followers.
    His teaching style may be summed up in the words of Advaita scholar and examplar, Dr. Robert Powell, "Like the Zen masters of old, Nisargadatta's style is abrupt, provocative, and immensely profound — cutting to the core and wasting little effort on inessentials. His terse but potent sayings are known for their ability to trigger shifts in consciousness, just by hearing, or even reading them."

Music
    "Raga Jhinjhoti in Rupak Tal (7 beats) and Tintal (16 beats)" by Shiv Kumar Sharma (eMusic)

38. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

GarethBKK (16th March 2015), Grizz Griswold (9th March 2015), Heart-2-Heart (9th March 2015), iamthat (10th March 2015), Skyhaven (9th March 2015), Wind (9th March 2015), Zampano (10th March 2015)

39. Link to Post #3360
    Thanks

Navigating the Matrix of the Ego

We need the matrix of thoughts, feelings, and sensations we call the ego for our physical and psychological survival. The ego tells us what leads to what, what to avoid, how to satisfy our desires, and what to do in each situation. It does this by labeling everything we sense or think. These labels put order in our world and give us a sense of security and well-being. With these labels, we know our world and our place in it.

Our ego renders safe an unruly world. Uncountable sense impressions and thoughts crowd in on us, so that without the ego to filter out irrelevant information, we would be inundated, overwhelmed, and ultimately destroyed by the overload. Or so it seems.

The ego has convinced us that we need it – not only that we need it, but that we are it. I am my body. I am my personality. I am my neuroses. I am angry. I am depressed. I’m a good person. I’m sincere. I seek truth. I’m a lazy slob. Definition after definition. Room after room. Some are in high-rise apartments – I’m very important. Some are on the fringe of the city – just hanging out.

Meditation raises the question: Who are we really? If we are the same as our ego, then if we open up the ego’s filters and overwhelm it, we shall be drowned. If, on the other hand, we are not exclusively what the ego defines us to be, then the removal of the ego’s filters may not be such a great threat. It may actually mean our liberation. But as long as the ego calls the shots, we can never become other than what it says. Like a dictator, it offers us paternalistic security at the expense of our freedom.

We may ask how we could survive without our ego. Don’t worry – it doesn’t disappear. We can learn to venture beyond it, though. The ego is there, as our servant. Our room is there. We can always go in and use it like an office when we need to be efficient. But the door can be left open so that we can always walk out.

~ Ram Dass

40. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

GarethBKK (16th March 2015), Grizz Griswold (9th March 2015), Heart-2-Heart (9th March 2015), Skyhaven (9th March 2015)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 168 of 431 FirstFirst 1 68 118 158 168 178 218 268 431 LastLast