+ Reply to Thread
Page 91 of 431 FirstFirst 1 41 81 91 101 141 191 431 LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,820 of 8615

Thread: Enlightenment: The Ego, what is it? How to transcend it.

1. Link to Post #1801
    UK Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,971 times in 881 posts

Default Re: Enlightenment: The Ego, what is it? How to transcend it.

Thanks Chris. You wrote that some time ago, I know. I wonder if you were writing now would it be different.

I know for myself, more is being revealed all the time to me.

Surrender and death on the same chapter......I wonder, any coincidence

Jeanette

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jenci For This Post:

another bob (25th August 2012), Eram (25th August 2012), greybeard (25th August 2012), Karunai (26th August 2012)

3. Link to Post #1802
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,860 times in 11,838 posts

Quote Posted by Jenci (here)
    Thanks Chris. You wrote that some time ago, I know. I wonder if you were writing now would it be different.

I know for myself, more is being revealed all the time to me.

Surrender and death on the same chapter......I wonder, any coincidence

Jeanette
    Think I would say "nothing" now --- The book would be "empty spaciousness". Laughing.
    I know less now that I did then.
    I await knowing no thing.
    Its like because the sun shines brighter the clouds of thoughts dissipate.
    Yes surrender and death happened in that order in the book.
    One leads to another---- death of the me for the Self to be born or rather revealed.

I really appreciate the support and encouragement you freely give.

Much love
    Chris
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

another bob (25th August 2012), Beren (25th August 2012), Eram (25th August 2012), Jenci (25th August 2012), Karunai (26th August 2012)

5. Link to Post #1803
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,207 times in 912 posts

Wealthy are the precious souls
    that thread upon the ways of old
    ways of wonder and ways of gold
    that buys peace ,joy , love.

Name I bear that no other will
    and treasures I hold that are here still
    unseen but seen causing great thrill
    greybeard they call me, this is my will.

P.S.
    That`s ad hoc one on the spot for you ye olde
    Love, love - and see what happens

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Beren For This Post:

another bob (25th August 2012), Eram (25th August 2012), greybeard (25th August 2012), Ineffable Hitchhiker (1st September 2012), Jenci (25th August 2012), Karunai (26th August 2012)

7. Link to Post #1804
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Re: A book by Chris

Miscellaneous thoughts

To be honest this was to be allocated to various chapters later

So what of the future of the human race? It has always been about prophecy.
    The Bible is full of it. However it is not about fortunetelling or a future set in concrete, more about our inherent potential. Jesus may well have walked on water certainly the levitation of Catholic saints is well documented, Padre Pieo was known to bi-locate.
    A nun in Germany lived on the host and communion wine. There are reputably people known as breatharians who survive on pranic energy.
    Maybe the so called Indian rope trick is not a fable.

Every culture has stories of superhuman feats. Some Sages in India can manifest objects out of the thin air. What one can do, all can do, given the right circumstances.
    It is know that we only use a small percentage of the human brain so what is the rest of it for?
    We have all had peak experienced moments when we have been awestruck by a beautiful sunset or similar, the majesty of which almost takes our breath away, time stands still, for a moment or so thinking stops, we experience great wordless joy.
    We are very much alive.
    Is this state possible all of the time?
    Those in a state of enlightenment say ,yes that is our natural state, unconditioned consciousness.

A young violinist virtuoso is reputed to had the out of body experience of all of a sudden finding himself at the back of the concert hall watching his own performance.
    Out of body experiences are not the norm but well documented.

An Indian sage was with his devotees when he noticed a scorpion marooned by the incoming tide on a stone he reached out to lift it to safety it stung him he dropped it back on the stone he reached out for it again, his disciples feared for him, this time he was successful but the scorpion having bit him in the process again.
    The disciples remonstrated with him.
    His observation was.
    It is in the nature of the scorpion to sting it is my nature to rescue it.

We are as we are it is as it is however our true self can be revealed as all that we are not surfaces and is released that is spiritual purification and sometimes that seems painful to the egoic mind at rate. It fears its own demise.
    We never die or rather never experience our own death as the spirit leaves the body just prior to its demise.
    The only true death that is experience is when the ego finally dissolves totally.

There is some identification with a personal me up to that point.
    At that point it is as though a door to full enlightenment opens and an awareness arises as a knowingness, no words are spoken, walk straight ahead no matter what.
    Only God walks through that door, all trace of personal identity is gone, the awareness of being one with God is present.

The path is clear having been trodden by all ascended masters it is as though their energy is willing you aiding you to take the final step.
    It is well to know this now as we don’t know the day or the hour when Grace may fall on you.

David Hawkins has said that the potential for enlightenment is 1000 times greater now than at any time in the past.
    Why?
    Because it is Gods will for the human race otherwise it could not happen.

Enlightenment is not a personal event it is an event of cosmic proportion all are effected by it.
    The spiritual ego likes to think its going to become an enlightened person no that is not so.
    There is no me left.
    The soul that appeared to be confined by believing it self to be the little me is now free of such a notion.
    All that binds is a mere thought nothing else. Im not saying it is easy to be free of such an identification with thought, there is thousands if not millions of years of conditioning awaiting us as we take human form but others have before us therefore it is possible for us to do the same.
    No time like the present.
    A change is afoot. Destiny calls.

It is well to know that is perfectly normal to have periods of apparent stagnation, there may be a feeling of emptiness, of spiritual isolation, no one to discuss these feelings with at least no one who really has had similar experiences to share with you.
    By this time friends and relatives may have given up on you fearing for your sanity, ( that only happens in rare cases, there is a lot of tolerance now for non religion spiritual beliefs).
    Extreme tiredness may occur. There may even be the thought that God has deserted you.
    A spiritual rock bottom may have been hit. Used to be called a dark night of the soul.
    Actually all is well.
    The body and mind may be going through a transformation process that takes time and energy.
    Accept that yes there are those feelings / symptoms. In acceptance you step back not ignoring, just a little distance from them.
    Know too that nothing remains constant, this too shall pass

We are affected by all kind of cycles and being on a spiritual path does not make us immune to lifes vicissitudes. Therfore the standard disclaimer comes into effect, consult a Dr if you feel the need.

Another famous story.

Two monks, who had vowed to have no physical contact with women, came upon a distraught female.
    She was stranded on the river bank, needing to cross to the other side. She explained her predicament to the monks. The elder of the two swung her on to his back and forded the river. The two monks set off on their journey once more, after a while the younger could no longer contain him self. Father, he remonstrated, you broke your vow we should have left her on the other side you carried a female.
    After a while the elder turned and said.
    My son I only carried her across the river you have carried her many miles since.

Once a deed is done it is done with. That’s living in the present moment.

Yet another famous story.
    In medieval times a small village was terrorized by a dragon.
    It would try to snatch young maidens, set fire to haystacks and do all kinds of mischief that dragons do.
    However there was a powerful wizard lived near by and always managed to save the village from the worst of the dragon’s deeds.
    Eventually he grew old and was on his death bed, the villagers gathered at his abode they were deeply concerned, mainly it must be said as to what their fate would be at the hands of the dragon when the wizard’s soul departed for pastures new.
    They voiced their concern. “Wizard, wizard do not leave us you cannot die, (as though he had any choice in the matter) how can we defend ourselves against such a powerful beast”?
    The wizard with his dying breath said. “I think you will find that when I have gone the dragon will have too”
    There is a lot to think about in that story.
    Could be that the wizard is the ego.

A lovely story portraying good attitude follows.

A farmer near a small village had a horse stud stable along with his main occupation of growing vegetables.
    One day his stallion made of into the hills.
    The villagers visited him and commented on his loss. How will you manage John now your stallion has gone? What a disaster, you are so unlucky. “Maybe so” were his only words.
    A few days later the stallion returned with five wild mares.
    The villagers were quick to comment. “You are so lucky John”
    “Maybe so” were his only words.
    Shortly after that his son was thrown of one of the mares he was trying to break in and broke his leg.
    The villagers were full of sympathy. How will you manage without your son John, you need him about the farm? That was so unlucky.
    Maybe so were his only words.
    A few weeks later war broke out and every young able bodied man was called up except Johns son.
    You were so fortunate your son wasn’t called up the villagers commented.
    “Maybe so” said John.

One question that comes up is.
    Is God knowable?

The short answer is no.
    One of the major religions had committees of learned priests investigating ancient writing for many years and came up with the answer “God is not knowable.”

A clever answer is God is everything and as an example if everything was colored white then there would be no difference no definition no way of discerning of knowing, so God became all of us to know Himself.
    The Ocean became the waves to exist to stand out to be known.
    Is that true? May be so!

If we look for answer in human terms we are wasting our time.
    We will just end up putting God in a box.
    That nice old man in the heavens with white hair a beard a stick and surrounded by Angels.
    However it is possible to feel the presence of God, to know Love, to sense that, perhaps to be awe struck by a magnificent sunset.
    There are many examples of what could be called a peak experience.

God is grander, more than the human mind is capable of knowing.

The Indians have a term for Enlightenment “God realisation” other wise known as self realisation, same thing.
    When we know our true self we know God and when we know God we know ourselves.

The next question that presents itself is.
    How do we know Gods will?

Short answer is we don’t.
    Many a war has started in the mistaken belief that Gods will was being done.
    However it can be done, knowing Gods will starts with prayer, the serious desire to be shown, to know how we may serve that which we call God.
    Then synchronicity may happen and show the way.

A friend who had an addiction problem many years ago was praying to be shown Gods will recently.

This is what happened.

Through a series of events he ended back in his home city after years of being away. A short while after settling in he went for a walk down town and bumped into an old friend whom he hadn’t seen in years, a person he used to go to recovery meetings with.
    They had coffee and it was suggested that he go back to meetings.
    My friend considered this but decided no, he had managed fine without meetings and that particular fellowship had managed without him.
    Well over the next few days he was again by “coincidence” to meet, separately, similar friends, acquaintances, from his past, again and again this happened. He could no longer ignore the feeling of being “spoken” to in this way by God, so he went to a meeting of that particular twelve step group and felt so much at home with kindred spirits that he still goes.

Was that’s Gods will expressing itself? Who knows!

The same friend told me that in the early days of his struggle against his addiction to alcohol he was advised to surrender the problem to his Higher Power, the God of his understanding.

He did so in this fashion.

He imagined putting his Alcoholism and all the character defects which were a part of his illness into a box, gift wrapping it, tying it up with pink ribbon ( pink is the color of love) then on his knees offering this “gift “ to God.

The release from the desire to drink was instant, however there were moments of willfulness through out the years when temptation arose; this was successfully combated with the thought. “I gave this to God as a present, I don’t ask for presents back” Simple but not easy.
    He continued to go to the appropriate twelve step meetings for quite a few years after that.

Was it Gods will that he went back to the fellowship meetings?
    May be so.
    Who knows and does it matter?

The thought that “I am doing Gods will” is not helpful as it leads to a feeling of specialness. “I am so spiritual” then the next thought could well be, “Much more than others” and so on.
    If God wills something it must happen, how could it be otherwise?

A young and wise lady friend said to me. “If you think God does not know what you are going to do next think again”. That is some statement.
    Seems the best we can hope for (and that’s good) is to endeavor to align ourselves to Gods will.
    How? By our spiritual intention,
    If there is a willingness to serve God then guidance will arrive in some shape or form.
    Doors will open doors will close so to speak.

Another question that comes up is.

People are not very patient with me, how can I get them to be more so?

Simple, be patient with their impatience, be patient with your impatience of their impatience.

The same applies to anything you want more of.
    If you feel unloved for example give more of it to others.
    It will come back, it has to, maybe not immediately, or coming from the person you have shown love to, but it will come back.
    Every thought and action is a boomerang, it must return to sender.
    That is how we create our own life situation.

Many say I fear rejection. What then is being rejected? If you look hard enough for rejection you will find it.
    Choose therefore to look for the good things in life.
    They will arise, be patient though. Past thoughts and actions have a certain momentum, that’s Karma, so it can take time for the new positive thoughts to manifest into your reality the good results.
    Ah but it was said “nothing is good or bad till thinking makes its so.”
    Exactly! Change the thoughts or better still just accept the isness of what has arisen
    At a higher level it can be seen that everything that happens, happens for our good, for our personal evolution.
    No spiritual strength can develop without the challenges to overcome, that is part and parcel of life.

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

another bob (27th August 2012), Beren (27th August 2012), crested-duck (27th August 2012), DeDukshyn (29th August 2012), Eram (27th August 2012), Ineffable Hitchhiker (1st September 2012), Jenci (27th August 2012), Reinhard (29th August 2012)

9. Link to Post #1805
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,846 times in 452 posts

Page 56-57 in aa book describes a event very similar to my own experience.....so much so that the page numbers are permanently ingrained in my brain...Rob

10. Link to Post #1806
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Re A book by Chris

Manifesting

We manifest every moment of our life without realising it.
    There is manifest energy and un- manifest energy. Everything that takes form in his world was first un- manifest energy that includes thought forms.

If we are using our lower unconscious negative egoic mind to manifest, and who would consciously, we bring into our lives all kinds of drama, upsets, heartbreak.
    When Higher mind, right brain thinking is the norm then nothing but good can manifest into your life.
    As consciousness rises, as awareness grows, this happens automatically.

There will be challenges there for your spiritual growth.
    Strong men did not develop muscles through lifting feathers.
    So if there are challenges, welcome them as though you invited them into your life.
    They are there for you to transcend. Life would be somewhat boring without them anyway.

Affirmations are a helpful aid to manifest ting that which you wish for in your life but be aware that it is as though the mind thinks in pictures.
    The mind cannot picture a non event. “I am a non smoker”. Has limited impact as the word “non” drops out and we are left with “I am a smoker” the exact opposite of intention.
    “I am not over weight” the same result.
    Better to affirm. “I am slim fit and healthy”

As mentioned earlier there are holy men who can manifest virtually anything they think of instantly. That brings responsibility as without spiritual discrimination havoc would be created.
    We all appear to be able to manifest that which we think of but it takes longer for less attuned souls.
    Who gave us the thought or desire in the first place to manifest something beneficial?
    Probably our Higher self.
    We can only manifest that which we have the personal potential to bring into our life.

An example.

A close friend who’s hobby was sailing felt he was getting too old to race sailing dinghy’s, beside he now had a family and the kind of boat he had was not suitable or safe to take youngsters out in.
    A new cabin cruiser came on the market, it had all the attributes that were required. It was fast but stable so suitable for taking family out in.
    A glossy brochure of the boat was accquired from the manufacturer.
    The only problem was that it was well outside the price range affordable.
    So he reckoned that in about three years there would be second hand at an affordable price.
    A picture of the boat was put up on the bedroom wall with a written affirmation that the boat would be his on a specific month three years hence.
    It was written present tense.
    This boat is mine June the selected year.

Getting close to the month and year my friend stated looking in his favorite yachting magazine for secondhand boats of the desired type,
    yes there was some but either too far away to make collection possible or delivery affordable and most were just a little too expensive.
    One day in May of that year having given up on the idea that he could get a boat the thought came to get his preferred yachting magazine.
    He headed down town but couldent get parked near his usual news agent, on the way home he saw another news agent with a parking space however they dident have his usual magazine some what crestfallen he headed out of the shop but on the rack he saw another magazine which featured boats and planes for sale, that was bought after some hesitation.
    To his surprise when he go home in the center pages was an advert for the desired type of cabin cruiser at an affordable price and not too far away.
    Even more amazing was that the advertiser had used a picture the same as he had up on the wall, that was the first time my fiend had seen a picture with an add for that type of boat.
    The boat was bought.

There is a further fascinating part to the story.
    The yacht broker explained that the boat was three years old but had never even been in the water it was an unwanted wedding anniversary present. There was a slight delay in delivery and would you believe it arrived on my friends wedding anniversary.
    The sequel to the story is that my friend didn’t enjoy sailing the cruiser so much as racing boats and after a few years sold the boat and went back to the smaller but more exciting dinghies.

Every new situation brings about a change in limitations.
    These limitations my be perfectly acceptable or not as the case may be.

It could be that you have manifest a new garment by phone, ordering from a small retailer, who’s catalogue you have. It has taken a few weeks to arrive. The wrapping is opened with great anticipation.
    Oh it’s the wrong color, not what was ordered at all.
    Frustration may arise.
    The self talk may be along these lines.
    “I don’t know what they were thinking about, I ordered this to wear at a special occasion, they have really let me down.
    Whats the world coming to?
    They just dident listen to me on the phone. I was very clear about the color I even told the lady at the other end why I wanted that specific colour. We had a lovley chat. How could she have got it wrong. Nobody really cares these days.
    Then a note is found in the wrapping which says. Dear X I know how important it is that you get the garment in time for your special occasion, unfortunately the colour you requested was sold out by the time we came to pack it. I delayed as long as possible in the hope that replacment stock would arrive in time , it hasent so I took the iniative to send this colour of garment in the hope that it will suit you and the occasion. A discount has been applied due to these circumstances. It is really important to us that you are happy with the garment so if not please return. Yours etc.
    All of a sudden a new context has arisen, the situation has changed.
    You feel you are cared about. Then of course you can choose whether to return or keep the garment in a happier state of mind. You might even find on trying it on that the colour suits you better than the one you ordered.

So what changed? Only thoughts changed. The garment hasent changed color. Your thoughts, which are not you, can be changed regardless of the situation.
    Its not the situation that cause the thoughts, rather the other way about.
    As your view point changes it becomes a whole new ball game.
    Different attitude will present different ways of dealing with the event.

Faced with any trying situation a useful thought is. “There may be a different way of looking at this”.
    Creating space around the situation, distancing yourself, at least temporarily, opens the door for Higher mind to step in and come up with the better course of action to be taken.

Positive thinking is it the same as spiritual thinking?
    Not quite but it does inspire one. In spire is derived from in spirit. It is possible to manifest purely through positive thinking affirmations pictures on the wall etc However the power of Higher self may be lacking.
    Positive thinking tends to be rooted in getting what you want, that’s not necessarily selfish.
    Spiritual thinking comes from a devotion to higher purpose and any manifestation that comes will be of benefit to others.

Great art while the creation of such is a joy to the painter it also brings immense pleasure to many.
    Designing and the building of some of the great cathedrals in the world would no doubt have brought pleasure to all involved in the creating of it but they are small in number in comparison to the many who are awestruck at the magnificence of such holy places.
    They have a high energy.
    Designers of such places were well aware of ley lines, energy vortex and the like and were very discerning as to where these places of worship were sited.
    There tends also to be a high energy field where two rivers meet.

There is energy in dance and obviously in music particularly high brow. Pun intended.

Incidentally my youngest (they are all artistically talented) took up the guitar to follow in his “own” footsteps and has great talent which he has worked hard for. Whilst I thoroughly enjoy playing with him I hankered after playing 60s music and from that thought materialized two situations.

I was in my home town though living away at that time. I walked into the local shop at the same moment, that’s syncronicity for you, as an old friend Andy and his wife Fiona.
    We had played together many a year.
    So once again I found my self playing with him though this time in his house rather that at gigs.
    When I got back to Motherwell my friend Anne said someone has been trying to get in touch with you he will phone back, I cant remember his name.
    A few days later this voice on the phone said “I bet you don’t know who this is” We had lost touch 35 years previous.”
    It was John. He and I formed the first band we ever played in which lasted four years. “Would I like to be part of reforming the band”?
    His wife Joyce had actually made the suggestion, he was getting near retirement and not the kind to let the grass grow under his feet.
    He loves to say. “We are living the dream Chris”
    As luck would have it he lived close at hand so regular practice began.
    We located our friend and drummer Brian and his wife Tina in the south of England and our guitarist Denny in Inverness, who had had heart surgery and not up to playing with us unfortunately.
    So the three of us practiced and had three live performances in front of people some of whom had heard us play 40 years previous.
    Who said nostalgia aint what it used to be?
    We got great enjoyment out of watching people up dancing, letting their hair down, just having a ball.
    All the hard work of practice was worth while.
    It was looking good. Then disaster struck. Brian was found to have cancer mercifully he died within weeks of an exploratory operation.

John and I still occasionally play together as a duo.

God is kind.

Its important to fill in the application form so to speak.
    You can do the affirmations till you are blue in the face and all you will have is frustration, the goal will not have been realised. If it also takes effort on our part then it takes more effort.
    God is reputed to have said if you will but take one hundred steps towards me then I will take a thousand towards you.
    So you must play your part in the process, do what you think it takes, do what you can but leave the end result to God. If you dont realise the goal be kind to yourself, just accept that’s the way it is, then there is no frustration only positive feelings and even if you don’t get the desired end result, lessons will have been learned and you will be a better person as a result.

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

another bob (28th August 2012), DeDukshyn (29th August 2012), Eram (29th August 2012), Ineffable Hitchhiker (1st September 2012), Jenci (28th August 2012), Reinhard (29th August 2012)

12. Link to Post #1807
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Re: A book by Chris

Surrender

Surrender to what to whom?
    Only surrender to what arises in this moment is necessary.
    There is a certain inescapable fact about what is, it is.
    No amount of avoidance can alter the fact, there it is, in your face.
    Once there is a, yes there it is, the situation changes.

In Quantum physics it is stated that what ever is observed changes, the wave collapses, takes on a form one could say.
    The mere action of observing suggest you are separate from the observed.
    You are the subject the other is the object.
    With distancing yourself through observing you are no longer emotionally associated with the event.
    You are not pulling more into the me story in the head.

Its as though we are in a cinema watching one frame at a time of a film the difference is that we can change the next frame before we witness it by our attitude to this frame.
    Everything with form including thought comes from the un manifest/source.
    Whilst we are in this world we are also not of it.
    We are both manifest in form and yet not. Spirit which is what we are is invisible.
    Another way of looking at is we are both form and formless and yet neither.
    So it is, as if, once we have accepted what is in form and in time, we go to the un manifest which is timeless and change or set the next frame of the film before it appears.
    There is possibility that we can only select from a menu which is dictated by our vibration our personal potential which changes as we evolve spiritually.
    This happens totally out with our Conscious awareness in a faction of a second and there it is, the next frame has arrived.
    We are in that respect like time travelers.
    Don’t make a concept or belief system of this though, it cant be proved in this world.
    The explanation can only point.
    This is a linear world, one thing after another appears then disappears in the eternal moment which is not linear.
    Its as though there is a space time continuum, the human brain organizes the total film into what appears to be moment after moment for us to view
    but we are sitting there unmoved occupying the same space in the timeless eternal moment.
    You can open the projector and there it is, the whole film exposed but you have no clue about the story portrayed in the film it has to be watched on the screen moment by moment to make sense of it, that’s life.
    As said already we can, it seems, change the life story, the film is set.

We also surrender to God but which concept of God?

A softer way of putting surrender to God might be “hand over to God”

The God of ancient times was seen as a paranoid dictator, his will had to be done at all times or there would be plagues, famine. Human and animal sacrifice required to appease him. He would strike you down dead for no reason other than he felt like it.
    Then we moved on or rather our concept of God changed.
    Now we believed in a God who might just smile on you if you did what you were told if not he would smite you dead or worse condemn you to eternal hell.
    Then there were further changes of perception till we arrived at the point where we could envisage a God of pure unconditional love, no judgment day, just Love Love Love.

God has not changed one iota but our perception has radically.
    Throughout time, there have been advanced souls, who experienced at first hand that love and testified to it. Because of prevailing attitudes in those times many saintly beings were tortured, crucified, killed.

It was predicted that science would one day prove the existence of God well maybe it has unbeknown.

There is an energy field through out the cosmos which pervades everything from the smallest atom to the biggest planet.
    Absolutely everywhere, there is nowhere that it is not. Certainly a bit like God.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Past lives?

The only thing that can be agreed upon for sure is that our personal self awareness exists here now.
    The Self that looks through these eyes is the same Self un changed that first saw the light of day years back.
    That Self which we all are could be called the witnessing presence.
    We are in this incarnation, apparently separate entities, what happened before our arrival in this world is conjecture.

We have all met people who took great delight in telling us “I was Cleoptra in a previous incarnation and you were such and such” Well maybe not Cleopatra but most likely some one of importance. Never yet heard anyone say “I was a road sweeper in ancient Greece”. Certainly the story would be much more interesting than this life times one.
    We may all have had previous life times
    Who knows, that may be true.
    However just as likely a story is that the evolving soul on its way into this incarnation went shopping this, life about to be supermarket, and picked up the tools suitable for this lifetimes work.
    Birth place, birth sign, past life memories of some suitable personality, parents may also have been chosen as most pertinent to the task ahead.
    All that could be true with many personal variations as if the soul actually needed to evolve.

In absolute reality the soul is pure, complete one with God and in no need of evolving.

So what is going on?

It is the Cosmic Dance, Consciousness at play. On the out breath of God all materializes and with the in breath all returns to source.
    So belief in past lives is fun but taking it seriously forms a belief system any belief system, any thought form cannot be ultimate Truth.
    It is in the nature of form to come into being then depart. Un manifest incarnates into form then departs to the unmanifest. (Formless with potential to manifest)
    The unmanifest is what you are. The wave of the ocean takes form the wave subsides into the ocean.
    That’s it.
    The wave no doubt takes great joy in being a wave, we likewise can take great pleasure in the blessing of being blessed with human form at this exciting time in the Cosmic Dance.

The End
    That's it

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

another bob (29th August 2012), DeDukshyn (29th August 2012), Eram (29th August 2012), Ineffable Hitchhiker (1st September 2012), Jenci (30th August 2012), Karunai (30th August 2012)

14. Link to Post #1808
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,445 times in 8,541 posts

Just dropping by to post a snippet - concerning the forces of materialization and the formation of the ego - mostly a 'feelgood' thingy but quite well articulated:

Quote "The Creator has established laws to govern the bonding
    of energy. Through these laws of materialization, the
    physical universe is created and maintained. In the
    material realms, these laws are right and proper. But
    when they come into relationship with biological life, they
    begin to behave strangely. From a perspective of
    consciousness, they translate into limitation, contraction,
    and ultimately death. In psychological terms, the laws of
    materialization have given rise to the ego - a fictitious
    identity with a sense of fear, vulnerability, and a need to
    protect and defend itself. Spiritual consciousness should
    not properly be associated with the forces that govern the
    bonding of energy." -Ken Carey
    Last edited by DeDukshyn; 29th August 2012 at 22:20. Reason: fixed up formatting
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Eram (30th August 2012), greybeard (29th August 2012), Jenci (30th August 2012)

16. Link to Post #1809
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,038 times in 1,437 posts

The paradox of letting go of identification and receiving what the identification sets out to get.

The identification that is the most in my face these days is: 'fear of not getting enough work done'
    Being a house father, watching over 2 kids and running a bed and breakfast, often gives me the feeling that I am going to run behind on things that need to be done.
    When I give in to this feeling, which I do often (can't seem to help it), I become a menace, for my children and for myself. I shout at them, have no patience with them etc.
    When I see the attachment to the fear, and I blow it up, creating the worst case scenario in my head, which is: being unable to provide for my children, with the house crushing under the weight of deferred maintenance (or something similar).... and I choose that the path of lifting the veil of the mind is more important to me than being able to prevent that scenario from happening.... then I go to the 'I AM' zone again (or shifting back and forth to it).
    The funny thing is when I am in that place after I let go of this attachment... I am able to do much more work, have all the patience needed with my kids and...so... I get the job done after all and stay relaxed while doing it.

It is a paradox isn't it? The 'identification with' is leading to the opposite of what it is is clinging to and when we let go of it, we get what we wanted in the first place, but we don't really care about the result any more.

btw: I never read about releasing identification in this way or any other way for that matter, so please correct me if I am not applying this in the right way.
    Last edited by Eram; 31st August 2012 at 07:09. Reason: spelling

17. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Eram For This Post:

another bob (30th August 2012), greybeard (30th August 2012), Ineffable Hitchhiker (1st September 2012), Jenci (30th August 2012), Karunai (30th August 2012), NancyV (1st September 2012), Swan (30th August 2012)

18. Link to Post #1810
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Wakytweaky (here)
    The paradox of letting go of identification and receiving what the identification sets out to get.

The identification that is the most in my face these days is: 'fear of not getting enough work done'
    Being a house father, watching over 2 kids and running a bed and breakfast often gives me the feeling that I am going to run behind on things that need to be done.
    When I give in to this feeling, which I do often (can't seem to help it), I become a menace, for my children and for myself. I shout at them, have no patience with them etc.
    When I see the attachment to the fear, and I blow it up, creating the worst case scenario in my head, which is: being unable to provide for my children, with the house crushing under the weight of deferred maintenance (or something similar).... and I choose that the path of lifting the veil of the mind is more important to me than being able to prevent that scenario from happening.... then I go to the 'I AM' zone again (or shifting back and forth to it).
    The funny thing is when I am in that place after I let go of this attachment... I am able to do much more work, have all the patience needed with my kids and...so... I get the job done after all and stay relaxed while doing it.

It is a paradox isn't it? The 'identification with' is leading to the opposite of what it is is clinging to and when we let go of it, we get what we wanted in the first place, but we don't really care about the result any more.

btw: I never read about releasing identification in this way or any other way for that matter, so please correct me if I am not applying this in the correct way.
    You are doing just great Wakytweaky.
    You have found for yourself and expressed it in your own way, that which is to be found in quite a few spiritual teachings--old and modern.

Regards
    Chris

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

another bob (30th August 2012), Eram (30th August 2012), Jenci (31st August 2012), NancyV (1st September 2012)

20. Link to Post #1811
    UK Deactivated
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Wakytweaky (here)

Being a house father, watching over 2 kids and running a bed and breakfast, often gives me the feeling that I am going to run behind on things that need to be done.

btw: I never read about releasing identification in this way or any other way for that matter, so please correct me if I am not applying this in the right way.

It's all a paradox, Waky

We need to go to the I AM zone to become the Awareness and in becoming that Awareness we are able to see more clearly as more is revealed to us. We can see our ego and what it clings to. We can become aware of what pushes our buttons and motivates us. We can see very subtle fears and desires which we never saw before. This truly is a bitter-sweet gift because we come to understand ourselves better yet many of the subtle forces which motivate us may be very difficult for us to accept once we can see them clearly.

As we become the Awareness, we have stepped back from that and there is some relief in that. We have transcended, gone beyond, the ego and we no longer have to believe that is all that we are.

But this is not the end of it because we need to go back to everything we have transcended and the awakening has to penetrate all of the illusion but to do this we need to be firmly grounded in that field of Awareness. So we can see why it is important to become the I AM to realise what that is before delving into all the ego's grasping, resisting, desires and fears.

In teachings there are very often contradictions because of this. I believe it is important not to become rigid as our spiritual practice becomes fixed and dry.

What we are, is alive and fresh. It's like a tree blowing in the wind. If we are grounded firmly in our Awareness, we are like the tree with deep roots. The tree will sway in the wind and allow that life force to throw it around, yet it remain firmly where it is all the time. If the tree was rigid towards the life force of the wind, it would not remain where it was for very long before the wind would uproot it.

So be flexible and remain open to what life is presenting you. Don't fix to doing any one thing and learn that the contradictions and paradoxes are all part of the process.

In the end we come to realise that the ego's desires and fears are exactly what we need so after we have gone beyond them, we then come back for them.

The true awakening of the illusion happens when it is directly experienced as the Awareness. The illusion presents itself all the time to us. There is only ever this moment arising and when we have become grounded firmly as that Awareness we can allow each moment to unfold and happen as it needs to.

It may present as impatience or anger at our own children but this needs to be directly experienced and felt for the awakening to penetrate and wake up the illusion......and this, in many cases, takes courage.

Jeanette

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jenci For This Post:

another bob (31st August 2012), Eram (31st August 2012), greybeard (31st August 2012), Ineffable Hitchhiker (1st September 2012), NancyV (1st September 2012), Swan (31st August 2012)

22. Link to Post #1812
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,221 times in 2,274 posts

The true awakening of the illusion happens when it is directly experienced as the Awareness. The illusion presents itself all the time to us. There is only ever this moment arising and when we have become grounded firmly as that Awareness we can allow each moment to unfold and happen as it needs to.
    So very well said, Thank you for this clarity!

Blessings!

23. Link to Post #1813
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,221 times in 2,274 posts

24. Link to Post #1814
    UK Deactivated
    Thanks

Quote Posted by another bob (here)

There is absolutely nothing in it for the ego !

The irony is that the ego wants it because it thinks it will be special

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jenci For This Post:

another bob (1st September 2012), Eram (1st September 2012), greybeard (1st September 2012), Ineffable Hitchhiker (1st September 2012), NancyV (1st September 2012)

26. Link to Post #1815
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,459 times in 1,312 posts

Quote Posted by another bob (here)

There is absolutely nothing in it for the ego !

The irony is that the ego wants it because it thinks it will be special
    Lets also mention how insidious and masterful self identity is at proving to itself that it's enlightened. That IS special.

27. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to markpierre For This Post:

another bob (1st September 2012), Eram (1st September 2012), greybeard (1st September 2012), Ineffable Hitchhiker (1st September 2012), Jenci (1st September 2012), Mark (1st September 2012), NancyV (1st September 2012)

28. Link to Post #1816
    United States Avalon Member Mark's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,461 times in 2,849 posts

I think that ego is necessary. Without ego there is no fine point with which to direct consciousness back into presence, brilliance and unity. Behind the few thoughts running around the mind buck-wild following a kensho experience remains a thread or a rope depending upon the intensity of the experience, maintaining that connection so that even as one engages in the daily grind and communication, even as one lives a life and experiences the ups and downs, there is a subtle disconnect and distance from events and mindfulness remains to greater or lesser degrees.

The ego at this point in the soul's evolution is becoming the tool it was designed to be. But to others, watching, the surety and seeming implacability of the one wielding the enlightened consciousness can seem like the epitome of egocentricity, especially if they are seeking to judge and castigate.

Who are you to know the truth? To tell others the truth? What makes you right? You're no better! I knew you when you did this or that ... I remember when you ...

... and on and on.

When the ego is allowed to run through it's stories, dwelling upon people or situations and creating realities it is always possible for any individual no matter the state of consciousness to follow the story and then speak or act in ways that support the illusion. Depending upon the situation and the extent to which he or she desires to 'get involved' in the drama, which is itself dependent upon the interconnectivity of that individual with the people in the world around him or her. What Casteneda's Don Juan called "controlled folly" seems to be another example of how people who have reached certain states of understanding interact with the world around them, in the world and seemingly of it, but not really. People can wonder constantly about whether people like Osho and Gurdjieff who did things like have sex or drink alcohol, rant and berate people around them, were enlightened or not.

Each instance and situation demands its own peculiar response. The motivation and intention behind words and actions can only be discerned if all of the factors are considered from the standpoint of the highest potentiality of all involved. And who is to say, outside of those within the experience at the time, what that might be?

Perhaps, in the end, only the Earth can truly bear witness.

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Post:

another bob (1st September 2012), Eram (1st September 2012), greybeard (1st September 2012), Jenci (1st September 2012), NancyV (1st September 2012)

30. Link to Post #1817
    UK Deactivated
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Rahkyt (here)
    I think that ego is necessary. Without ego there is no fine point with which to direct consciousness back into presence, brilliance and unity.
    Hi Rahkyt

I see the ego as a movement or activity of grasping and resisting. Compared to our true nature which is allowing.

I do believe that people get to the stage where there is no ego - no grasping or resisting and only ever true allowing of each moment as it arises.

Of course the ego serves a purpose to get us there. In the early stages of this journey when I became aware of my ego, I didn't like it at all and then everything just relaxed and I saw the ego without judgement and for what it was and I got to play a little with it, it was quite enjoyable.

But something deep inside was not satisfied with that.

A lot of the grasping and resisting has gone now but as it has gone, when it does happen it becomes more painful. I don't like the pain as along with it, is a deep knowing that grasping and resisting activity is not authentically me........and I have had a taste for the authentic and something inside just yearns to be that now.

That's how it is for me. Not everyone is on the same path. Not everyone is here in this life to transcend the ego. After all, we are all the same Source expressing itself in infinite ways.......not in the same way.

But for me personally, I think it all has to go.

Jeanette

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jenci For This Post:

another bob (1st September 2012), Eram (1st September 2012), greybeard (1st September 2012), Mark (1st September 2012), NancyV (1st September 2012)

32. Link to Post #1818
    United States Avalon Member Mark's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,461 times in 2,849 posts

If the entire ego goes, what is left?

Source.

Becoming a pure conduit for source would be a wonderful reality but Jeanette would be gone in all but name. The personality complex, the expression of individuality, the ego is like a flashlight, it is the way in which we direct our consciousness.

We have a choice how we direct it, and we mostly direct it in unhealthy ways, concentrating upon meaningless trivialities. The ego becomes vain and arrogant, it becomes the expression of who we are in totality, which means it is selfish, limited and fear-based.

That is the ego untamed. Once the ego is tamed, it becomes the tool of God-consciousness or Source. We retain our individuality and our personality without subsuming ourselves totally within Source.

I think all of those we watch, Mooji, Adya, Eckhart, their egos remain. We see their personalities and we love them. But it is obvious that their egos are in service to a higher version of self, that which is directly connected to Source.

33. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Post:

another bob (1st September 2012), Eram (1st September 2012), greybeard (1st September 2012), Jenci (1st September 2012), NancyV (1st September 2012)

34. Link to Post #1819
    UK Deactivated
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Rahkyt (here)
    If the entire ego goes, what is left?

Source.

Becoming a pure conduit for source would be a wonderful reality but Jeanette would be gone in all but name. The personality complex, the expression of individuality, the ego is like a flashlight, it is the way in which we direct our consciousness.

We have a choice how we direct it, and we mostly direct it in unhealthy ways, concentrating upon meaningless trivialities. The ego becomes vain and arrogant, it becomes the expression of who we are in totality, which means it is selfish, limited and fear-based.

That is the ego untamed. Once the ego is tamed, it becomes the tool of God-consciousness or Source. We retain our individuality and our personality without subsuming ourselves totally within Source.

I think all of those we watch, Mooji, Adya, Eckhart, their egos remain. We see their personalities and we love them. But it is obvious that their egos are in service to a higher version of self, that which is directly connected to Source.

I have no choice, Rahkyt. What is happening is happening and I cannot stop it......and I have tried to stop it and failed.

I liken it to a river rushing back to its source.....and I feel the full force of that and it will sweep me away in doing so.

To be clear here when I am talking about "ego" I am talking about an activity/movement of grasping and resisting. As opposed to true nature, which is pure allowing.

Mooji, Adya, Eckhart have all lost this grasping/resisting and all live each moment allowing whatever happens to arise as it is -allowing.

But this ego is not the personality. When the grasping and resisting have fallen away and there is just the true nature, which is pure allowing, the inherent personality which is natural for that individual expression of the Source, can emerge. With those three teachers you can see their unique personalities.

I think this idea that if the ego goes, so does the personality is a common one. This cannot be understood by the mind. Personality will emerge although it may be very different to what we think that we should be like.

What we can do is use self-inquiry to deal with this belief that the ego is necessary by asking the question of ourselves, "Who believes it is necessary?" - In other words, always establish the identity of the person having the thought before believing or discarding the thought.

Jeanette

35. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jenci For This Post:

another bob (1st September 2012), Eram (1st September 2012), greybeard (1st September 2012), Mark (1st September 2012), NancyV (1st September 2012)

36. Link to Post #1820
    UK Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,769 times in 885 posts

Hello Chris and Everyone Else

I just wanted to say how grateful I am for this wonderful thread...for me, it is of the best things about PA!
    Although I don't contribute very often, I am always popping in to see what's going being discussed - it's all good stuff so thanks!

Love
    Kathie

37. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tarka the Duck For This Post:

another bob (1st September 2012), greybeard (1st September 2012), Jenci (1st September 2012), NancyV (1st September 2012), Tony (1st September 2012)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 91 of 431 FirstFirst 1 41 81 91 101 141 191 431 LastLast