+ Reply to Thread
Page 140 of 431 FirstFirst 1 40 90 130 140 150 190 240 431 LastLast
Results 2,781 to 2,800 of 8616

Thread: Enlightenment: The Ego, what is it? How to transcend it.

1. Link to Post #2781
    United States Avalon Member NancyV's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,068 times in 989 posts

Default Re: Enlightenment: The Ego, what is it? How to transcend it.

Now THAT was very funny, thanks for the laugh!!!! Very accurate too and yes, a bit too wordy. We need smart things to be in short bytes (or bites?). I totally empathize because I also often get way too wordy when trying to explain the unexplainable.

Quote Posted by Shezbeth (here)
    There is a phrase I read in this thread that I found to be of quality. I will attempt to recreate it as my efforts to locate the specific post have not yielded results. I believe the poster was either Greybeard and/or Wind.

Quote I am that which cannot be pointed to and say "I am that" - Mooji
    I perceive to understand the intent of the phrase, and yet am at a mindset where I find it to be moderately inaccurate/ineffective. To illustrate I will reword the phrase to be consistent with my experience, but first must explain a bit.

I am that which can be pointed to and say "I am that", however doing so is tricky business. For one, the 'pointing' is not literal, it is espoused and figurative. In order to be able to perceive 'that', one must adhere to certain practices and/or traditions that are neither accidental nor cursory. In the event that one is able to perceive 'that', pointing to 'it' requires that the recipient is able to perceive it as well. One cannot point to or reference something unknown/unseen to the recipient, else doing so is as effective as indicating/pointing to something imaginary. Yet to the recipient who perceives it, it is redundant for the one expressing to 'point' to it as the very act of perceiving it requires/involves an understanding of it.

One cannot perceive 'that' and not know that one and all are 'that', and attempting to express so for one who cannot perceive 'it' lacks any potency of communication; it is not helpful to indicate something unknown/unseen to a person who does not know/see 'it', other than to indicate that there may (from their perspective) be an 'it' to be known/seen.

Simply, when one perceives 'that' it is of little/no benefit to say so except to others who perceive 'that' to say "I am that" - other than to indicate/foster mutual perception ("I see it too"). Likewise it is of little/no benefit to those who don't see 'it' in that it doesn't help to indicate what 'that' is nor how to perceive 'it'.

Suffice it to say: I mostly don't disagree with the expression, I disagree with the purpose of the expression. I find it would be more effective and accurate to say thus:

Quote I perceive what I am but cannot indicate it to you unless you likewise perceive what you are, and in that event it is unnecessary to indicate it as you already know what you and I am/are. If you don't know and wish to, perhaps I can point you in the right direction.
    But then, that's not very succinct or poetic now is it?
    Alpha Mike Foxtrot

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to NancyV For This Post:

animovado (3rd June 2014), Chester (4th June 2014), greybeard (3rd June 2014), Grizz Griswold (2nd June 2014), Shezbeth (3rd June 2014), Wind (3rd June 2014)

3. Link to Post #2782
    United States Avalon Member Grizz Griswold's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,499 times in 288 posts

Hi chris, i hope you don't mind my posting this as i also posted it on

a thread i started ......Is it time? To Change The World.....

It's something that needs to be as widely known as possible.

The CHOPRA MEDITATION CENTER is sponsoring .....GLOBAL MEDITATION FOR PEACE..... from todays date 6/2/14

there are 66 days until the event.....giving everyone time to join in....please watch the video and sign up.....it's free.

The event will be on August 8th 2014 at noon.....This event is to be The Largest Global Synchronized Meditation ever.

Tell everyone you know.....joining together in Love is the beginning of changing the world.

Let us see if we can make a difference.

Love.....barry

Here is the link to sign up.

http://globalmeditation.chopra.com/

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Grizz Griswold For This Post:

GarethBKK (6th June 2014), greybeard (3rd June 2014), Heart-2-Heart (3rd June 2014), Wind (3rd June 2014)

5. Link to Post #2783
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,968 times in 7,673 posts

As soon as you begin to sense your unity with the real Self, the psychological identity is going to rise up for its biggest fight; a fight to protect its very survival. It will not give up its illusory hold on the beingness that easily. It will use every trick to prevent you from discovering your real nature.

But don’t be afraid. You have the real power on your side and it is important to remember this when the mind attacks. You can transcend its influence by remaining as the formless and unmoving Seer. This is righteousness, holiness and love.

~ Mooji

"When you've seen beyond yourself, then you may find, peace of mind is waiting there." ~ George Harrison

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

animovado (3rd June 2014), Black Panther (5th June 2014), Delight (4th June 2014), GarethBKK (6th June 2014), greybeard (3rd June 2014), Grizz Griswold (3rd June 2014), Heart-2-Heart (3rd June 2014), minkton (4th June 2014)

7. Link to Post #2784
    United States Avalon Member Chester's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,206 times in 5,691 posts

Hi friends... wow... its incredible - I am still stark, raving enlightened but with one small problem -

a slowing body - YUCK!!!

Oh Well - I will do my best to avoid the implant stations upon exit because I sure don't wanna have my current consciousness (and my memories) wiped out!
    All the above is all and only my opinion - all subject to change and not meant to be true for anyone else regardless of how I phrase it.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chester For This Post:

Flash (4th June 2014), Grizz Griswold (4th June 2014)

9. Link to Post #2785
    Thanks

You say your life is service to God.

But at a certain stage, the duality between you and God must merge and become one Harmony.
    Ultimately, if your devotion is sincere, duality cannot last. Naturally, you will get pulled inside the Beloved.
    Only then will your Being experience its Completeness.

~ Mooji
    "When you've seen beyond yourself, then you may find, peace of mind is waiting there." ~ George Harrison

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

Chester (5th June 2014), GarethBKK (6th June 2014), greybeard (4th June 2014), Grizz Griswold (4th June 2014), Heart-2-Heart (5th June 2014)

11. Link to Post #2786
    United States Avalon Member Grizz Griswold's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,499 times in 288 posts

Quote Posted by Wind (here)
    You say your life is service to God.

But at a certain stage, the duality between you and God must merge and become one Harmony.
    Ultimately, if your devotion is sincere, duality cannot last. Naturally, you will get pulled inside the Beloved.
    Only then will your Being experience its Completeness.

~ Mooji
    Thank you for this quote Wind.

I have come to realize that what was said above is true.

But i would change it slightly, our perception shifts so that

we realize we are already one self with God and in complete Harmony!

But as the infinite, we can choose to believe anything we want.

We're already Home!

With Love......barry
    Last edited by Grizz Griswold; 5th June 2014 at 14:43.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Grizz Griswold For This Post:

GarethBKK (6th June 2014), greybeard (4th June 2014), Wind (4th June 2014)

13. Link to Post #2787
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,453 times in 1,583 posts

As soon as you begin to sense your unity with the real Self, the psychological identity is going to rise up for its biggest fight; a fight to protect its very survival. It will not give up its illusory hold on the beingness that easily. It will use every trick to prevent you from discovering your real nature.

But don’t be afraid. You have the real power on your side and it is important to remember this when the mind attacks. You can transcend its influence by remaining as the formless and unmoving Seer. This is righteousness, holiness and love.

~ Mooji

Meditation feels like going to a war at times. I can relate to these attacks he's talking about. I'd also add that life is troublesome enough to test our faith and patience. It's the perfect platform to practise spirituality. Society shows everything we don't want to be. It's inspiring to discover oneself while leaving the mass. Everyday, we see things that need to be changed. I keep asking myself. Am I also like the people I see? It gives me the drive to work more on discovering my real state.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Guish For This Post:

Chester (5th June 2014), greybeard (4th June 2014), Grizz Griswold (4th June 2014), Wind (4th June 2014)

15. Link to Post #2788
    United States Avalon Member bodhii71's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,258 times in 230 posts

A panel discussion on possible perceptions of the celestial realms, hosted by Rick Archer (Buddha at the Gas Pump). This discussion loosened some rigid though patterns I had had without being entirely aware they were even present. I've nothing much else to comment other than I found this to be very (third) eye opening.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bodhii71 For This Post:

greybeard (5th June 2014), Grizz Griswold (5th June 2014), Mac (5th June 2014), Shezbeth (4th June 2014)

17. Link to Post #2789
    Language
    English
    Thanks

consider Earth, 2014 as the mental hospital

All the above is all and only my opinion - all subject to change and not meant to be true for anyone else regardless of how I phrase it.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chester For This Post:

GarethBKK (6th June 2014), greybeard (5th June 2014), Grizz Griswold (5th June 2014), Wind (5th June 2014)

19. Link to Post #2790
    Language
    English
    Thanks

For those who have an interest in Thich Nhat Hanh - this is a good interview -

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chester For This Post:

GarethBKK (6th June 2014), greybeard (5th June 2014), Grizz Griswold (5th June 2014), Mac (5th June 2014), Wind (6th June 2014)

21. Link to Post #2791
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,863 times in 11,839 posts

Gregg Braden and Howard Martin -----Event.

Join two GCI Steering Committee Members for The World Intuition Summit: Bridging Science and Intuition Teleseminar Series. Sign-up now for this FREE Summit and hear Howard Martin, Gregg Braden and more than 50 other amazing speakers.

Howard Martin will be sharing his insights and inspiration about the transformation of humanity, our planet and beyond as he presents The New World Now. He will discuss how a New World is emerging amidst the challenges and chaos of our present existence. It is a New World born from an expansion in evolutionary consciousness—a world infused with the heart’s intelligence, a new understanding of love, practical intuition and the energetic connection between all living systems. It’s here now—growing, building, and emerging—for all of us to experience.

Sign-up now for The World Intuition Summit: Bridging Science and Intuition with Howard Martin, Gregg Braden and many more great speakers. Register now and receive $197 in Free Bonuses.

We hope you can join Howard and Gregg.

http://www.glcoherence.org/templates...ion-online.php
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Grizz Griswold (5th June 2014)

23. Link to Post #2792
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,407 times in 5,730 posts

I love Joe Dispenza's very practical information

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Delight For This Post:

Chester (8th June 2014), greybeard (6th June 2014), Grizz Griswold (6th June 2014), Mac (6th June 2014)

25. Link to Post #2793
    Thanks

Thich Nhat Hanh is great, I just bumped into his videos a while ago. I saw that Oprah interview, it was great. Actually just the day before yesterday I ordered one of his books called "Fear: Essential Wisdom for Getting Through the Storm", thanks for posting his videos here Jester... Sorry, I meant Chester! Here is the latest quote from Mooji. I am in hilarious mood already, so somehow Mooji's comment below made me laugh more again... Alan Watts said this, "They say in Zen, when you attain satori, nothing is left to you at that moment but to have a good laugh."

"When man looks for experience he becomes the body.

When he looks for knowledge he becomes the mind.

When he looks for God he becomes the Heart.

When he looks for Truth he becomes Nothing."

~ Mooji
    Last edited by Wind; 6th June 2014 at 02:46.

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

Chester (8th June 2014), GarethBKK (6th June 2014), greybeard (6th June 2014), Grizz Griswold (6th June 2014), Zampano (6th June 2014)

27. Link to Post #2794
    Wales Avalon Member
    Thanks

LOL. Thanks, Wind, for today's magical Mooji.

... Alan Watts said this, "They say in Zen, when you attain satori, nothing is left to you at that moment but to have a good laugh."
    Yep. After years of wandering the world as a body, next cramming as much knowledge into the head as possible, then squatting to devotion, the moment suddenly comes when there's no one here. There was never anyone to have a body, or know anything or do anything. There was only ever this. The simplicity and obviousness of it is laughable. It is freedom.

As Joey Lott writes in You're Trying to Hard: A direct path to what already is:
    Emptiness seems empty when seen as a thing. When seen as something separate. When seen by an (imaginary) seer.

Yet emptiness is not a thing. Emptiness is not separate. There is no seer.

There is only this.

And when it is truly seen as it is, then what appeared to be emptiness is seen to be the totality.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GarethBKK For This Post:

blotter (6th June 2014), Chester (8th June 2014), greybeard (6th June 2014), Grizz Griswold (6th June 2014), Wind (6th June 2014)

29. Link to Post #2795
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by GarethBKK (here)
    LOL. Thanks, Wind, for today's magical Mooji.

... Alan Watts said this, "They say in Zen, when you attain satori, nothing is left to you at that moment but to have a good laugh."
    Yep. After years of wandering the world as a body, next cramming as much knowledge into the head as possible, then squatting to devotion, the moment suddenly comes when there's no one here. There was never anyone to have a body, or know anything or do anything. There was only ever this. The simplicity and obviousness of it is laughable. It is freedom.

As Joey Lott writes in You're Trying to Hard: A direct path to what already is:
    Emptiness seems empty when seen as a thing. When seen as something separate. When seen by an (imaginary) seer.

Yet emptiness is not a thing. Emptiness is not separate. There is no seer.

There is only this.

And when it is truly seen as it is, then what appeared to be emptiness is seen to be the totality.
    Think that says it all Gareth.
    Not within this direct knowing as yet.
    Thanks--it all helps to remove ignorance.

Chris

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Chester (8th June 2014), GarethBKK (6th June 2014), Grizz Griswold (6th June 2014)

31. Link to Post #2796
    Thanks

The person is noisy and seeks Silence but cannot find it.

Silence is not the gift one receives after strenuous seeking alone.

Trust. Grace reveals what mind cannot.

Silence is here, unearned and unrecognised and yet, timelessly present. It is unmixed Presence and is therefore synonymous with You but not with your person.

You exist without the person but the person cannot exist without You.

Discern the Real from the Unreal.

~ Mooji

Here is one little booklet based on Ramana Maharshi's teachings, it's called Who Am I?

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

GarethBKK (6th June 2014), greybeard (6th June 2014), Grizz Griswold (6th June 2014), sllim11 (8th June 2014)

33. Link to Post #2797
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Linage is virtually a guarantee of valid, successful, enlightened teaching.
    Ramana Maharshi had a spontaneous awakening without a guru.
    Then in the linage came Papaji and now Mooji.
    Obviously others are enlightened through that linage but not all are drawn to teach.

Chris

Ps Thanks for the Ramana booklet link Wind---your contributions much appreciated.
    Last edited by greybeard; 6th June 2014 at 12:35.

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Chester (8th June 2014), GarethBKK (6th June 2014), Grizz Griswold (6th June 2014), Wind (6th June 2014)

35. Link to Post #2798
    Wales Avalon Member
    Thanks

...but man, proud man,
    Drest in a little brief authority,
    Most ignorant of what he's most assured,
    His glassy essence, like an angry ape,
    Plays such fantastic tricks before high heaven
    As make the angels weep; who, with our spleens,
    Would all themselves laugh mortal.
    Shakespeare: Measure for Measure 2:2

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GarethBKK For This Post:

greybeard (6th June 2014), Wind (6th June 2014)

37. Link to Post #2799
    Thanks

Yes Chris, didn't Gangaji also come from Papaji's lineage? Not sure if she is enlightened, but I think she probably is. Also Paul Brunton was with Ramana and Brunton is known for bringing yoga and meditation to the western world. Ramana was a great example, he showed that just by being you can change the world by spreading pure awareness and many have followed that path after him.

"When he has silenced his desires and stilled his thoughts, when he has put his own will aside and his own ego down, he becomes a free channel through which the Divine Mind may flow into his own consciousness. No evil feelings can enter his heart, no evil thoughts can cross his mind, and not even the new consequence of old wrong-doing can affect his serenity." - Paul Brunton

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

blotter (7th June 2014), Chester (8th June 2014), greybeard (6th June 2014), Grizz Griswold (6th June 2014)

39. Link to Post #2800
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Gangaji is of the Papaji lineage, thats true Wind .
    I saw her at the Findhorn Foundation.
    Excellent teacher.
    Dr David Hawkins said that she was at the level of unconditional love which is just short of enlightenment.
    Im lucky Findhorn is only 28 miles away not that I go very often now.
    Eckhart gave an intensive weekend there which I attended.
    There is an excellent ACIM study group there that I used to go to.

Chris

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Grizz Griswold (6th June 2014), sllim11 (9th June 2014), Wind (6th June 2014)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 140 of 431 FirstFirst 1 40 90 130 140 150 190 240 431 LastLast