+ Reply to Thread
Page 157 of 431 FirstFirst 1 57 107 147 157 167 207 257 431 LastLast
Results 3,121 to 3,140 of 8616

Thread: Enlightenment: The Ego, what is it? How to transcend it.

1. Link to Post #3121
    United States Avalon Member Mark's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,484 times in 2,851 posts

Default Re: Enlightenment: The Ego, what is it? How to transcend it.

Quote Posted by Carmen (here)
    Yes I've read it, in bits and pieces! It's very complex especially initially. I tend to go back and revisit this book when I have a breakthrough of spiritual understanding or realisation. I find that I can read some complex books with new eyes or wider understanding. I do this with all my key spiritual books. If the breakthrough is valid then I understand my books at the new level! It's wonderful when this happens.
    I agree with the complexity part absolutely. It necessitates, for me, a continuous revisiting of certain passages, to internalize them and also to work against other ingrained ideas that are logically inconsistent. This seems to be one of those books that you can open to any passage and find useful information for that moment. I understand why you would go back and revisit it. Thank you for sharing Carmen. As it is my first read and I am going through slowly, I feel the work influencing the patterns of thought that are ingrained within me. So far, about 4 chapters and 17 lessons in, I have not yet found anything that my intuition has flared at in a negative way.

Quote Posted by onawah (here)
    The Course was a lifesaver for me years ago during the Gulf War, when the US was in a frenzy of "patriotism", even in the liberal little beach town, Santa Cruz, Ca., where I was living at the time.
    Having lived for a few years with a Vietnam Marine Vet, I was having all kind of post traumatic stress syndrome symptoms, and the gov was spraying for the Medfly at the time with helicopters, which really set me off.
    And that was curious, because I'd never had any negative encounters with copters, though my partner certainly had...
    Wow that sounds intense. It also sounds like a time when your life really needed some contextual grounding within higher forms of perception and experience.

In any case, I felt like I was living in an insane asylum. I was browsing desperately at the public library, trying to find something that might help me to keep some shred of sanity, and came across the Course.
    Synchronicitous, eh? It is funny to me when things seem to pop up like that. I find that my rational mind sometimes tends to reject them just because of my training, as a scientist. I think to myself, could this really be meant for me, just because it has appeared? I have even banish the synchronicitious suggestion at times in the past, and choose something else to be contrary. I cannot say at this time whether that has been a negative or not, as the suggested path was not followed, but perhaps so.

Eventually it was replaced with other tools, but for that time and place, it was certainly helpful, though not as perfect as I first thought.
    I had left Christianity behind at a young age to pursue Buddhist, Hindu, Tantra, Wicca, etc. philosophies, but there was a part of me that still needed to reprogram and update that early Christian mindset; and that is constantly being revised to this day...
    It sounds like our paths have been similar. After an early life of indoctrination, it only took leaving home and going to college for me to begin to free myself from much of the indoctrination I'd undergone and to explore the same paths that you did. During that time, though, the Christianity remained a part of who I was. The deeper teachings primarily, although the ritual remained as well, as it is all part of the programming. I went to church still, as an adult at different times, especially after I had children, to ground them in a spiritual understanding of life. As it is an individual journey, I understood that providing this foundation would provide them with the ability to discern for themselves as they began and continued their own personal explorations, which I have and continue to augment with understandings based upon the deeper truths underlying all religious systems.

Currently I take any channeled info with a big, heaping tablespoon of salt.
    There may be gems among the trash, but you really have to use a lot of discernment to know the difference.
    Though basically, I think that anything that helps (in Truth, not denial) to foster love and keep our minds out of fear is worth pursuing.
    I agree in regards to channeled teachings. So far, I have not found anything in the Course that is not based upon the profound logic that runs through its first chapters. But it is still early on.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Post:

Chester (10th November 2014), greybeard (9th November 2014), Grizz Griswold (9th November 2014), justntime2learn (10th November 2014), onawah (10th November 2014), sandy (9th November 2014), Shadowman (10th November 2014), Wind (9th November 2014)

3. Link to Post #3122
    United States Avalon Member Grizz Griswold's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,499 times in 288 posts

Quote Posted by Rahkyt (here)
    Just checking in as it has been a while since I have visited my friends here in this particular space of Becoming.

I am currently reading the Course for Miracles.

It has been a curious journey so far. The text itself is written mathematically as its logic conforms strictly.

I find that its core teaching is very much the same as these teachings of non-duality.

Does anyone else here have experience with this text? What are your thoughts about it?
    I started reading A Course In Miracles around 1988, it has brought me much peace.

Yes there are other ways, other teachers that still point to the same truth.
    If you feel drawn to the Course, it very well may be for You.
    Some statements from the Course may seem radical or absurd.
    This is because the thought system we now have, has been so imbedded
    within us that the ego only allows for its own biased witnesses which will keep its
    own thought system in place. The jury has been packed and the judge bought.
    To change this, the ego tells us, this will take time but in reality time does not exist.

I like the statement "I Need Do Nothing" that the Course makes below.

To DO anything involves the body. And if you recognize you NEED do nothing, you have withdrawn the body’s value from your mind. Here is the quick and open door through which you slip past centuries of effort, and escape from time.

To some, the Course is hard to understand and for most, understanding is a work
    in progress. Some benefit more from the Workbook some the Text.
    Either way, doesn't matter, there can be great benefits from the Course.

This is the Course summed up.

Nothing real can be threatened.
    Nothing unreal exists.

If You continue You may realize this statement to be true.

With Love
    barry

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Grizz Griswold For This Post:

Chester (10th November 2014), greybeard (9th November 2014), Iloveyou (18th November 2014), justntime2learn (10th November 2014), Mark (9th November 2014), onawah (10th November 2014), sandy (9th November 2014), Shadowman (10th November 2014), Wind (10th November 2014)

5. Link to Post #3123
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Grizz Griswold (here)
    This is the Course summed up.

Nothing real can be threatened.
    Nothing unreal exists.

If You continue You may realize this statement to be true.

With Love
    barry
    Thank you so much Barry, for your words. I can read your experience beneath the text and know you know of what you speak. For me, the course is foundaional in that it is helping to sieve through the detritus of knowledge gleaned over decades of exploration. It reinforces Truth already internalized and experienced. Guides words through pathways of precision, if that makes sense.

Many blessings.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Post:

Chester (10th November 2014), greybeard (10th November 2014), Grizz Griswold (9th November 2014), justntime2learn (10th November 2014), onawah (10th November 2014), sandy (9th November 2014), Shadowman (10th November 2014), Wind (10th November 2014)

7. Link to Post #3124
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,863 times in 11,839 posts

"The moment you take up a position know that you are identifying with an illusion."
    That did it for me from the course.
    I was very opinionated.

I came to see that I do not have to be right.
    I dont even need to have an opinion.
    Great freedom comes from this.
    The response "May be so" silently in my head covers a multitude of situations.

Of course sometimes I drop myself in it.
    That can actually be fun as I find it hard to take myself seriously.

The daily lessons are very helpful in reducing ego, an entirely different way of looking at self, perception and life.
    Its quite challenging but well worth doing.
    There are many study groups and it really is worth while meeting up with like minded people.

The Late Dr David Hawkins was a great supporter of ACIM and maintained that healing could occur through the practice of the lessons.
    He was also strong on The Twelve Steps of AA as a spiritual "tool".

Chris
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Chester (10th November 2014), Grizz Griswold (9th November 2014), Iloveyou (20th November 2014), justntime2learn (10th November 2014), meeradas (12th November 2014), onawah (10th November 2014), sandy (9th November 2014), Shadowman (10th November 2014), Wind (10th November 2014), Zampano (10th November 2014)

9. Link to Post #3125
    Thanks

Quote Posted by greybeard (here)
    The daily lessons are very helpful in reducing ego, an entirely different way of looking at self, perception and life.
    Its quite challenging but well worth doing.

There are many study groups and it really is worth while meeting up with like minded people.
    Chris
    I am currently reading it with my partner, Sirayah and we are both taking a lot from it. Doing the reading and the workbook simultaneously seems to be a good way to go about it for us. It is interesting that as I travel through my days, I am continuously meeting people who have worked through the Course themselves, and their encouragement is definitely a boon. As are the words of all here who have shared their own experiences with me now. Thank you all so much.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Post:

Chester (10th November 2014), greybeard (10th November 2014), Grizz Griswold (10th November 2014), onawah (11th November 2014), Shadowman (10th November 2014), Wind (11th November 2014)

11. Link to Post #3126
    United States Avalon Member Chester's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,206 times in 5,691 posts

Just checking in as it has been a while since I have visited my friends here in this particular space of Becoming.

I am currently reading the Course for Miracles.

It has been a curious journey so far. The text itself is written mathematically as its logic conforms strictly.

I find that its core teaching is very much the same as these teachings of non-duality.

Does anyone else here have experience with this text? What are your thoughts about it?
    Lots of pages to tell you what you clearly already know. It is authoritarian as well. The Teacher's Manual (at the back of the book) is where you might start as from reading your posts - you are at least there and perhaps beyond. That book made a profound difference in my life but am well past it now (having achieved my current non-dual duality).
    All the above is all and only my opinion - all subject to change and not meant to be true for anyone else regardless of how I phrase it.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Chester For This Post:

greybeard (10th November 2014), Grizz Griswold (10th November 2014), justntime2learn (10th November 2014), Mark (10th November 2014), onawah (10th November 2014), Shadowman (10th November 2014), Wind (11th November 2014)

13. Link to Post #3127
    Thanks

Quote Posted by justone (here)
    Lots of pages to tell you what you clearly already know. It is authoritarian as well. The Teacher's Manual (at the back of the book) is where you might start as from reading your posts - you are at least there and perhaps beyond. That book made a profound difference in my life but am well past it now (having achieved my current non-dual duality).
    You know I love you, right, Chester?

Yes. Shhhh. Don't tell my lady. She still likes to argue with me about enlightenment.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Post:

Chester (10th November 2014), greybeard (10th November 2014), Grizz Griswold (10th November 2014), onawah (10th November 2014), Shadowman (10th November 2014), Wind (11th November 2014)

15. Link to Post #3128
    United States Avalon Member Chester's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,206 times in 5,691 posts

You know I love you, right, Chester?

Yes. Shhhh. Don't tell my lady. She still likes to argue with me about enlightenment.
    Here's the mind blowing statement in the Manual for Teachers that appears forever true (at least in my own experience).

Quote The course.... emphasizes that to teach is to learn, so that teacher and learner are the same. [Also]... teaching [thus learning] is a constant process, it goes on every moment of the day, and continues into sleeping thoughts as well.
    As I have claimed, I am not only 'stark raving enlightened,' I have graduated to 'in your face! enlightened' thus proving I definitely have much, much more to learn.

As quantum physicist John Hagelin says...

Quote Enlightenment is just the beginning.
    I sure hope so and so do my loved ones and friends (haha).
    All the above is all and only my opinion - all subject to change and not meant to be true for anyone else regardless of how I phrase it.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chester For This Post:

greybeard (10th November 2014), Mark (10th November 2014), Shadowman (11th November 2014), Shezbeth (10th November 2014), Wind (11th November 2014)

17. Link to Post #3129
    United States Avalon Member Grizz Griswold's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,499 times in 288 posts

As I have claimed, I am not only 'stark raving enlightened,' I have graduated to 'in your face! enlightened' thus proving I definitely have much, much more to learn.

Along with Enlightenment/awakening/realization then comes integration, putting it to use
    in all situations.

"If you ever reach total enlightenment while drinking beer, I bet it makes beer shoot out your nose".......Jack Handy

With Love
    barry
    Last edited by Grizz Griswold; 10th November 2014 at 19:59.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Grizz Griswold For This Post:

Chester (14th November 2014), greybeard (10th November 2014), Mark (10th November 2014), Shadowman (11th November 2014), Wind (11th November 2014)

19. Link to Post #3130
    Thanks

[QUOTE=justone;899886]Here's the mind blowing statement in the Manual for Teachers that appears forever true (at least in my own experience).

Quote The course.... emphasizes that to teach is to learn, so that teacher and learner are the same. [Also]... teaching [thus learning] is a constant process, it goes on every moment of the day, and continues into sleeping thoughts as well.
    Nice quote. I just began chapter 4 this morning, and this is exactly the point that they make there, in fact, this looks like the same grammatical formulation of it as well.

Quote Teacher and pupil are alike in the learning process. They are in the same order of learning, and unless they share their lessons conviction will be lacking.
    Nice synchronicity there, as it made a strong impression on me this morning, and doubly so now. Of all the quotes you could have chosen ...

That is actually one of the most satisfying thoughts to me possible. That there IS so much more to learn ...

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Post:

Chester (14th November 2014), greybeard (11th November 2014), Grizz Griswold (11th November 2014), onawah (11th November 2014), Shadowman (11th November 2014), Wind (11th November 2014)

21. Link to Post #3131
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,968 times in 7,673 posts

May all who come in search for Truth come swiftly to the full realisation of the timeless Self.
    May you all expand in wisdom, loving kindness and openness.
    And may all who meet you be touched and inspired by your peace, silence, wisdom and Grace.
    May you never be overwhelmed by sorrow or ignorance but expand into the power and light of the Self wherever you find yourself.
    Hold this inside your Heart: this life is for Freedom.
    Remember also that you can be without the psychological mind,
    but the psychological mind cannot be without you.
    Judge which is the greater and make your stand in that.
    The recognition of the Self does not need to be a lifetime practise.
    Use your light to expose the fickleness and transience of the mind. Recognise each time your true position as the witness of the mind.
    Don't imagine you are an object in consciousness.
    You must be also behind consciousness.
    You are also the witness of consciousness.
    This conviction will develop in it's fullness.
    Know that the whole universe supports your liberation.
    Pay attention to that silence within you.
    It does not belong to anyone.
    It is not anyone's territory.
    It is the infinite space of the Self.
    It is your space.
    It is what you are.
    It is our Home.

It has been a great privilege to be with you here in London.
    Namaste.

I love You.

~ Mooji, London 11th of November 2014
    "When you've seen beyond yourself, then you may find, peace of mind is waiting there." ~ George Harrison

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

Chester (14th November 2014), greybeard (12th November 2014), Grizz Griswold (12th November 2014), Heart-2-Heart (12th November 2014), Innocent Warrior (12th November 2014), Shadowman (18th November 2014), Skyhaven (12th November 2014)

23. Link to Post #3132
    Australia On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,555 times in 3,482 posts

Quote Posted by Wind (here)
    May all who come in search for Truth come swiftly to the full realisation of the timeless Self...
    This is perfection. Beautiful, Wind.
    Never give up on your silly, silly dreams.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little BIGGER, darling.

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Innocent Warrior For This Post:

Chester (14th November 2014), greybeard (12th November 2014), Grizz Griswold (12th November 2014), Heart-2-Heart (12th November 2014), Shadowman (12th November 2014), Skyhaven (12th November 2014), Wind (12th November 2014)

25. Link to Post #3133
    Thanks

Only when a human being becomes empty of ego does it become a vessel of the manifestation of the Supreme. When there is sufficient space made through the absence of the person, then the divine cannot hide. It must reveal itself as the Lord inside that form.

~ Mooji
    "When you've seen beyond yourself, then you may find, peace of mind is waiting there." ~ George Harrison

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

greybeard (14th November 2014), Grizz Griswold (14th November 2014), Heart-2-Heart (14th November 2014), Shadowman (18th November 2014), Skyhaven (14th November 2014)

27. Link to Post #3134
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,453 times in 1,583 posts

Only when a human being becomes empty of ego does it become a vessel of the manifestation of the Supreme. When there is sufficient space made through the absence of the person, then the divine cannot hide. It must reveal itself as the Lord inside that form.

~ Mooji
    Everything comes from emptiness. People who meditate listen more than talk.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Guish For This Post:

greybeard (14th November 2014), Grizz Griswold (14th November 2014), Shadowman (18th November 2014), Skyhaven (15th November 2014), Wind (14th November 2014)

29. Link to Post #3135
    Thanks

“Most of our troubles are due to our passionate desire for and attachment to things that we misapprehend as enduring entities.” ~Dalai Lama

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Guish For This Post:

greybeard (15th November 2014), Grizz Griswold (15th November 2014), Shadowman (18th November 2014), Skyhaven (15th November 2014), Wind (16th November 2014)

31. Link to Post #3136
    Thanks

The emptiness I speak about is not the emptiness the mind imagines.
    It is not blank.
    Your body can continue expressing in a natural way.
    Intelligence is there. Emotions can come.
    Everything can play, but inside there is total serenity and peace.
    No planning, no strategising, no personal identity is there.
    Just the space of pure being.
    It is what we are, but we dream and believe we are not.

~ Mooji

32. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

greybeard (16th November 2014), Grizz Griswold (16th November 2014), Guish (17th November 2014), Heart-2-Heart (16th November 2014), Shadowman (18th November 2014), Skyhaven (17th November 2014)

33. Link to Post #3137
    Thanks

The emptiness I speak about is not the emptiness the mind imagines.
    It is not blank.
    Your body can continue expressing in a natural way.
    Intelligence is there. Emotions can come.
    Everything can play, but inside there is total serenity and peace.
    No planning, no strategising, no personal identity is there.
    Just the space of pure being.
    It is what we are, but we dream and believe we are not.

~ Mooji
    I like how Mooji explains things in such a simple way. As Yogananda says it, high thinking and simple living is the right direction. Simple living can be simplified into no attachment while high thinking can be attained by meditation, practising detachment and refining one's lifestyle.

34. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Guish For This Post:

greybeard (17th November 2014), Grizz Griswold (17th November 2014), Shadowman (18th November 2014), Skyhaven (18th November 2014), Wind (18th November 2014)

35. Link to Post #3138
    Thanks

Without story making, without interpreting, without projecting, without desiring,
    you are perfectly happy and in a natural state of peaceful harmony. But don't be thinking this is a personal state.
    In the absence of the 'person' the ever-perfect presence prevails.

~ Mooji

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

greybeard (18th November 2014), Grizz Griswold (18th November 2014), Guish (18th November 2014), Heart-2-Heart (18th November 2014), Skyhaven (18th November 2014)

37. Link to Post #3139
    Thanks

Enlightenment is not something you need to achieve. It's what you always were. Forget your actual state to remember your real state.

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Guish For This Post:

greybeard (18th November 2014), Grizz Griswold (18th November 2014), Skyhaven (18th November 2014), Wind (18th November 2014)

39. Link to Post #3140
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,863 times in 11,839 posts

"If it is not about me I lose interest" I thought that I was interested in lots of things, nothing to do with me, but I get it now. Its my opinion about XYand Z Im actually interested in.
    Absolutely everything is judged by the mind (me) That's what it does and its oh so subtle.

Its on here----Paul Hedderman--He swears up a storm ------Thanks Barry

Taken from http://www.selfinquiry.org/2012videos.html

"If you are offended by strong language dont watch this"

Source: Watch on Vimeo

And Bart Marshall --well worth listening to.

Source: Watch on Vimeo

Last edited by greybeard; 19th November 2014 at 16:19.
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Grizz Griswold (19th November 2014), Wind (19th November 2014)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 157 of 431 FirstFirst 1 57 107 147 157 167 207 257 431 LastLast